closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex clocks Formula 1

Apprentice

Rolex clocks Formula 1

Was watching the F1 earlier, often noticed the Rolex clocks on the gantries and wondered if they have Rolex movements, or is that an utterly ridiculous suggestion?
    Last edited by scenicroute79; 19th November 2019 at 07:54.

Quote Originally Posted by scenicroute79 View Post
    Was watching the F1 early, often noticed the Rolex clocks on the gantries and wondered if they have Rolex movements, or is that an utterly ridiculous suggestion?

That, I think.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That, I think.
    I don't doubt it, just amuses me to think that behind the Rolex facade there is something akin to my kitchen clock, probably with a AA battery in it.

Master
    Interesting question..I notice the cameras focus on it, for example when the warmup lap starts, they wait for that minute hand to move over to 210pm and then we start. What I am trying to say, whatever is in there must be very accurate - possibly radio controlled, etc.

All those clocks will be linked to a master clock somewhere.

Incidentally it looks like Rolex lay around $40,000,000 sponsorship for F1 and sell around 800,000 watches annually. So now you know where at least $50 of your hard-earned went !

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    All those clocks will be linked to a master clock somewhere.

Incidentally it looks like Rolex lay around $40,000,000 sponsorship for F1 and sell around 800,000 watches annually. So now you know where at least $50 of your hard-earned went !

I think its more like 1m watches per year, but you still make a good point. Especially when you consider their sponsorship of Sailing, Golf, tennis, horse racing, other types of motor racing, etc plus their charity works.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I think its more like 1m watches per year, but you still make a good point. Especially when you consider their sponsorship of Sailing, Golf, tennis, horse racing, other types of motor racing, etc plus their charity works.
    I think Rolex are actually in the high end corporate schmoozing business these days. Watches are just a sideline. Look at their Twitter feed, 100% schmooze, 0% watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I think Rolex are actually in the high end corporate schmoozing business these days. Watches are just a sideline. Look at their Twitter feed, 100% schmooze, 0% watches.

But all that schmoozing must be for a reason. Either it's to flog watches, to instigate some sort of "change, do "good works"or as simply to provide the owners with a "hobby".

Personally I think it's still to flog watches, but they are so successful and the profits are so high, that they can afford to be generous towards others.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    According to COSC, it's 800k for Rolex and 200k for Tudor, so yes as a whole company it is 1m, and you still can't find the model you want in a shop window!!

Apprentice
    But all that schmoozing must be for a reason. Either it's to flog watches, to instigate some sort of "change, do "good works"or as simply to provide the owners with a "hobby".

Personally I think it's still to flog watches, but they are so successful and the profits are so high, that they can afford to be generous towards others.
    I guess it just further anchors the brand across the globe. A Rolex is considered cash on the wrist wherever you find yourself. You could ask a Bedouin tribesman, or a local chap kayaking down the Amazon in a hollowed out tree trunk. They'll all have heard of Rolex, Ferrari, Nike etc. All down to decades of schmoozing.