closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stashing a Watch Away For Your Kids "Big Birthday".

Master

Stashing a Watch Away For Your Kids "Big Birthday".

Has anyone stashed away a watch, to give to their child in future on their 18th or 21st Birthday?
    I am considering potentially purchasing a new BB58 to put away for my son’s “big birthday” - could be stored away for up to 9 years.
    I have thought about trying to source a birth year watch or handing over one of my favourite watches as an alternative, but reckon he may prefer a brand new (old) watch?

I will also need to do a similar thing for my daughter (who is a couple of years younger), but not sure which ladies watch could match up to the BB58, or if doing something totally different would be best for her?

Any ideas / opinions welcome.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never done it as it all seems a bit pointless to be honest.

Take the cash you're planning to put towards the watch, invest it, and then let them choose what they want for their birthday when it comes around.

That way they can choose new, second hand or vintage, and crucially, the model they most desire for that amount of cash.

Just an alternative view, but are you pushing your passion onto your kids. What if they reach the big Birthday and don't wear mechanical watches, perhaps a smart watch if any at all and have absolutely no interest in an aged Watch which will be in need of a service.

I'm guessing most kids would rather have the cash. Mine certainly would.

Don't wish to be negative, but you need to factor in a complete lack of interest on their part 👍

Master
    Don't want to give them cash - I know that will ultimately be what they prefer, but would like something they could keep & treasure for many years (instead of a tankard!!).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Women are wearing mens watches a lot these days. I see no reason not to get daughter a bb58 as its proportions aren't overwhelming.

Master
    You don't have a clue what sort of watch your daughter will wany, or even if she will even want one at all.

I have 3 sons, one is Omega Seamaster mad, the other likes glitzy tat and throws it away after 12 months and the other hasn't even got one.

Good job I never bought 3 Rolex as not one of them even likes them.

Kids today don't want possessions, they want experiences, so look out for an experiences.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Women are wearing mens watches a lot these days. I see no reason not to get daughter a bb58 as its proportions aren't overwhelming.
    Womens fashions change faster than mens, so buying years in advance is even more risky for a daughter.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Never done it as it all seems a bit pointless to be honest.
    I agree, the chances of youngsters being interested in these watches is slim. Some folks get a good feeling from doing this but I`ve never understood it. If they develop an interest in watches that's fine, but trying to lead them down the path is unlikely to succeed My stepson didn`t get interested till he was late 20s, and I can`t take any credit for that, he was influenced by a couple of his mates.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 18th November 2019 at 17:18.

Craftsman
    What is ur budget roughly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These kind of threads inevitably invite opinions like- who knows what your son/daughter will like when they grow up?
    Or no one is going to be wearing mechanical watches in 20 years or Better put the money Ina fixed deposit etc.

I personally hate being so pragmatic or practical.
    Do it by all means if that sum of money is not needed elsewhere.
    At the worst, they met not appreciate it much when they finally get it, in which case they can sell and move on.
    Or equally likely it might blow their socks off when they get it and watching that would be worth a lot more than the interest Ona fixed deposit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    What is ur budget roughly?

Approx. £2.5K - assuming I match the value of BB58.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Take the cash you're planning to put towards the watch, invest it, and then let them choose what they want for their birthday when it comes around.

That way they can choose new, second hand or vintage, and crucially, the model they most desire for that amount of cash.
    100 millions time this. Don't force your passion into them.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Womens fashions change faster than mens, so buying years in advance is even more risky for a daughter.
    True, but a good long term watch isn't fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    100 millions time this. Don't force your passion into them.
    I meant they could choose the watch they want then - not just buy anything with it! But I also appreciate your viewpoint on this.

I think the best advice when this question has been asked before is to buy the watch during their birth year. Wear it (regularly) yourself to gain pleasure for you and to build a potential emotional attachment for your offspring - and then offer them the watch for the significant birthday.

If they do not have an interest in watches... get them some amazon vouchers (and kick them out of the family home - the heathen !)
    Last edited by carryondentist; 18th November 2019 at 18:38.

Master
    I'm not sure I'd be forcing anything on them - simply giving them a very nice gift to commemorate them "Coming of Age"!

I guess it also comes down to how much a watch like a BB58 would be worth in 10 or so years time - who can tell??
    Against how much the invested money would grow over the same period - based on current interest rates it might just keep up with inflation!

Not really about the value - but would also be good that they had something that would appreciate value during their ownership (should they decide to keep it).

Master
    You are interested in watches, so in your eyes a watch is a nice present. The risk is that your daughter may find them the most boring thing on earth and then you are basically forcing a present she does not really want. She will smile and say thank and will be a bit disappointed that you bought something that floats your boat and not hers.

Decide the present a few months before the time.

Unless it's a watch from their birth year, I don't see any particular point myself.

Better, as someone else said, to buy a watch they like when the date arrives...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

To be honest, much as I personally like your idea, I’m absolutely certain that had I given my daughter a ‘special’ watch for her 18th or 21st, she would have given me one of her ‘special’ looks!

If I were in your position nowadays, I’d just wait until nearer the time and ask them what they want. Or , at least by then, you may have a better idea of what kind of thing floats their boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ok so the son maybe into tech stuff like smart watches so an option to bridge the worlds might be a breitling aerospace evo a little above budget as £3,260 list for new one but bargaining could bring that down.

Craftsman
    My two have a watch each-I'm wearing them until they get them however! They can do with them whatever they like, wear, sell, trade in-whatever they want. I'm secretly hoping they want to trade them towards their own watch so we can go shopping together!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Good job I never bought 3 Rolex as not one of them even likes them.
    I bet you wish you had bought 3 Rolex. You would have been quids in now :-)

Master
    I have a 116660 JC from my son's birth year, 2015. I would like to salt it away for his 18th, especially at it was my daily wearer for a long time (pre my TZ contamination ) and I well remember his fascination with it, he was always grabbing at it when I was holding him.
    It would be no hardship to me to put it away, especially as I have the 126660 version of the JC, I just hope that he will like it when he comes of age. Especially as there is a fair chance that I will have parked my clogs by then, being an older dad, and had a tough life

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I bet you wish you had bought 3 Rolex. You would have been quids in now :-)
    Actually I have 5 which I have bought for myself.

I bought a watch to celebrate my son being born and with a bit of luck I'll pass it on to him when he's older. I will have worn the hell out of it in the meantime though, so if he does want it then hopefully it'll come with memories rather than just being a watch.

Or he won't care and I'll happily keep it.

I think the next decade will be the toughest era for the Swiss watch market since the quartz crisis. I know more and more people leaving nice watches in the drawer in favour of smart watches, my dad being the latest one - so the smart watch isn't just a millennial fad.

Apple's watch has been around for under four years and we're on Series 5, in 9 years it'll likely be series 15/16. Who knows what they'll be capable of then. Google have just purchased FitBit some big moves from them too.

Not what many want to hear, but the Swiss watch industry seems to be looking to the past rather than to the future, and it'll need more than a Swatch Watch to save the industry next time around.

Master
    Thanks for all the input.
    Seems that most think it's not a great idea - I'm still tempted though, as the Black Bay 58 is such a great watch!

Master
    I f you like the watch buy it for yourself your tastes will not be your son's. I have a rule if my sons want a really nice watch someday they can buy it themselves because I am taking all my watches with me

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think the next decade will be the toughest era for the Swiss watch market since the quartz crisis. I know more and more people leaving nice watches in the drawer in favour of smart watches, my dad being the latest one - so the smart watch isn't just a millennial fad.

Apple's watch has been around for under four years and we're on Series 5, in 9 years it'll likely be series 15/16. Who knows what they'll be capable of then. Google have just purchased FitBit some big moves from them too.

Not what many want to hear, but the Swiss watch industry seems to be looking to the past rather than to the future, and it'll need more than a Swatch Watch to save the industry next time around.
    I reckon you could well be right, even here in a fairly behind the curve corner of Spain the ratio of Apple/smart to regular watches of all kinds is really noticeable and thats' across young and middle age plus...about the only cohort by age I'd bet on the majority of whom might be wearing a 'proper' watch is the 60 and overs, and as you've observed new techs making inroads. Can't believe my observation is atypical.
    Last edited by Passenger; 19th November 2019 at 08:35.

Craftsman
    Just done this...to be fair my recently bought Arnie is the only watch that he has shown an interest in.

Fortunately I only have to keep it stored for a few weeks...not years.

I picked up a Breitling B1 off here a while back. I then realised it was from 2004 the year of my sons birth and with a little research of the bracelet date, I found It was produced the week of his birthday. For that reason I said he can have it when he gets to 18, even though I do wear it now and again.
    To me the watch chose him, not me guessing what he will like. So if it's not his thing he can move it on. But he has seen me get free beers from the Breitling marquee, when I have worn it at RIAT Fairford, so he might keep it !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Seems that most think it's not a great idea - I'm still tempted though, as the Black Bay 58 is such a great watch!
    I wouldn’t bother (although sounds like you’re not taking the feedback on board).

If you’ve got the money burning a hole in your pocket, invest it in their names and leave the money until they’re old enough. These potential watches would never have been worn by you and unlikely your kids would feel any attachment to them. At that age they’d maybe value the money more as a flat deposit or similar.

(Meanwhile maybe buy and wear a 58 yourself as you seem rather taken by it)

Depends on the watch.

I managed to get a brand new 114060 in 2015 for my son for just under £5k, with the intention of giving it to him on his 18th or 21st birthday (he was 15 when I bought it).

Today the same watch would cost at least £7.5k to replace today. So a £2.5k increase.

I could have stuck the money in an ISA, which would now be worth about £5.7k

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Depends on the watch.

I managed to get a brand new 114060 in 2015 for my son for just under £5k, with the intention of giving it to him on his 18th or 21st birthday (he was 15 when I bought it).

Today the same watch would cost at least £7.5k to replace today. So a £2.5k increase.

I could have stuck the money in an ISA, which would now be worth about £5.7k
    You’ve been fortunate, this is hardly a typical situation and I think we all know the rate of price growth isn’t sustainable. There’s a strong case for selling the watch now for £7.5k and investing the money.

Andy, you picked the right one either by accident or design. Unfortunately that cannot be generalised to all watches.

In 2009, when my son was born, I bought him a 16600 SD. It's his birthday and name on the papers. he can have it when he's 18 or 21 (I reserve judgement!) I paid list. Full set, lightly worn, serviced last year (and not polished.) He'll have a watch that he remembers me wearing, and best case? One that he can pass on, too.

It's not like I'm not also investing money in other things, trying to make a better life for him and his sister. (Don't worry, his sister has one of the last 2011 polar Explorer IIs - same deal.)

I think it's a nice idea.

Don’t let the naysayers drag you down. Do your own thing.
    Monetarily, it may not be the soundest decision you make, but the intangible benefits might be considerable.
    Some of these people have probably never pleasantly surprised their spouses/partners or other loved ones with surprise gifts or impromptu dates.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Don’t let the naysayers drag you down. Do your own thing.
    Monetarily, it may not be the soundest decision you make, but the intangible benefits might be considerable.
    Some of these people have probably never pleasantly surprised their spouses/partners or other loved ones with surprise gifts or impromptu dates.
    You make a lot of baseless judgements and are quick to cast aspersions upon peoples behaviour and motivations Rajen, it's a bit rich, just saying. Have a nice day buddy

I’ve done something similar. I’ve bought a birth year watch for both my sons which form part of my collection ( although worn sparingly) but will be passed to each of them at 21. If they don’t want it they can sell them - alternatively they may be chuffed to have a nice birth year watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Andy, you picked the right one either by accident or design. Unfortunately that cannot be generalised to all watches.

Which is why i said it depends upon the watch. But hardly an accident. Rolex (Sport models) for example have historically been bankers for 40 years. I bought my first 16750 for £325 (in 83) and values have been going north ever since. Partly due to Rolex cache and partly due to annual price rises. I also bought him a Panerai PAM0002 for £1600 (Birth Watch) which must be have easily doubled in value.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Ordered my son a Daytona well in advance for his 21st many moons ago , we realised it wasn’t going to be there for the day , ended up buying him a Sea Dweller , he didn’t know anything about either.

The SD then had an rrp of £2440 and I haggled a 10% discount.

Gave him the watch for his birthday and he was overcome, that was 14 years ago.

A little bonus for me was the Daytona came about six months later , still got it in the safe , bnib, all stickered up.

I’ll probably give him that for his 40th.

Master
    I think it’s a nice idea and my nine year old has already picked the watch she want’s from my collection when she’s older. Which by the way had nothing to do with me – she seems to have genuine interest and has a little collection of herself (a Lorus Mickey Mouse alarm watch, a Fitbit, a kids Adidas diver and a Pop Swatch)

Luckily for me she skipped over the expensive ones and went straight to an 80’s Orient diver because she likes the colour of it :)

Slightly off topic, My lad is a keen saver so I thought it would be good to encourage this thought process by getting him a small gold bullion for Xmas.

Its £200 for 5 grams and not the best time to buy but owning some pure gold should light his eyes up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Slightly off topic, My lad is a keen saver so I thought it would be good to encourage this thought process by getting him a small gold bullion for Xmas.

Its £200 for 5 grams and not the best time to buy but owning some pure gold should light his eyes up!

My kids would love that - not sure they would appreciate the value just yet though.
    Maybe an idea for the future.

Journeyman
    Lucky kids

Wish my parents thought like you :P

Has anyone stashed away a watch, to give to their child in future on their 18th or 21st Birthday?
    I am considering potentially purchasing a new BB58 to put away for my son’s “big birthday” - could be stored away for up to 9 years.
    I have thought about trying to source a birth year watch or handing over one of my favourite watches as an alternative, but reckon he may prefer a brand new (old) watch?

I will also need to do a similar thing for my daughter (who is a couple of years younger), but not sure which ladies watch could match up to the BB58, or if doing something totally different would be best for her?

Any ideas / opinions welcome.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Are you going to wear it?

I know if I got a watch handed down I would prefer one my father had worn regularly rather than one with the stickers on.

Rolex no date from his birth month. Hope to present it at his graduation :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Are you going to wear it?

I know if I got a watch handed down I would prefer one my father had worn regularly rather than one with the stickers on.
    Yes, I'm coming around to that way of thinking.
    I was given this Rolex Oyster that my Grandad wore, by my parents on my 21st - guess that watch wouldn't mean as much to me if it hadn't actually been his daily wearer for much of his life!

Master
    I too am in the 'wear a watch, make memories with it, with your kids and then gift it on an appropriate milestone'.
    My son loves the lume and bezel on my orange monster so if he shows any interest in mechanical watches when he's older that's the one I'll gift him. It was also my first proper (wis) watch so he may be out of luck, we'll see.