closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on Grand Seiko Purchase

Advice on Grand Seiko Purchase

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. I’m on the search for a Grand Seiko Snowflake. Had a WTB for a week or so now and no luck so I’m thinking I’ll order a new one. This is going to be a keeper so don’t mind paying a little more.

So I’ve got 3 options.

1. Seiko boutique in London. Obviously this is a cost premium and while I don’t mind paying more for new this is a large amount more.

2. TimelessLux in the US have quoted me a decent price and with VAT will be a saving over option 1

3. Is ordering on Chrono24 from this retailer HarveyStore. Seems like a grey dealer but a bit of a mixed bag of feedback on the web. Some appear very happy though. This seems like significantly the cheaper option:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/all/grand...id12549417.htm

Anyone dealt with HarveyStore? Or have any other thoughts on who to go with?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try speaking to the London store - they were quite open to price discussions when I went in there and tried one of these on. But that was some time ago, and perhaps they are now more into the 'throw in things for free' rather than drop the price. It's worth noting I had zero intention of purchasing and told them so, as I preferred the older branding, but they still brought up discounts.

Worth a shot - they'll almost certainly offer a free first service without you even trying.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 18th November 2019 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Try speaking to the London store - they were quite open to price discussions when I went in there and tried one of these on. But that was some time ago, and perhaps they are now more into the 'throw in things for free' rather than drop the price. It's worth noting I had zero intention of purchasing and told them so, as I preferred the older branding, but they still brought up discounts.

Worth a shot - they'll almost certainly offer a free first service without you even trying.
    I asked them on the weekend and was told they don’t negotiate but they’ll throw in some straps for free...

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    I asked them on the weekend and was told they don’t negotiate but they’ll throw in some straps for free...

Alas.

I know Rakuten in Japan is a site that is often mentioned for importing GS - worth reading up on if you don't hear more regarding the C24 dealer.

I think as a rule watches bought at the boutique have an extra year of UK warranty

Maybe worth a chat with these guys?

https://watchesofmayfair.com/brand/g...1-spring-drive

No affiliation but have heard decent feedback

Craftsman
    WoS in Canary Wharf sell GS now and had a snowflake in the window a couple of weeks ago.

Chisholm Hunter in Bluewater too.

I'm planning a purchase next year so will be interested to know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Maybe worth a chat with these guys?

https://watchesofmayfair.com/brand/g...1-spring-drive

No affiliation but have heard decent feedback
    Thanks contacted them but it could take 10weeks to receive via them. Not in a rush but seems like I can get it much sooner for similar price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    WoS in Canary Wharf sell GS now and had a snowflake in the window a couple of weeks ago.

Chisholm Hunter in Bluewater too.

I'm planning a purchase next year so will be interested to know how you get on.
    Thanks, I work in the Wharf and I have popped in for a chat with them. Haven’t discussed pricing but I don’t expect they’ll offer much discount. Worth a try though I guess.

Master
    Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Pm sent
    Cheers

I've had two Grand Seikos of these guys. Both were mailed to me immediately after payment and arrived the next day. They may not have a snowflake in stock but it might be worth giving them a call.

https://www.james-porter.co.uk/grand...-sbga211g.html

Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I've had two Grand Seikos of these guys. Both were mailed to me immediately after payment and arrived the next day. They may not have a snowflake in stock but it might be worth giving them a call.

https://www.james-porter.co.uk/grand...-sbga211g.html
    Thanks. Appreciated.

I bought a Seiko Solar Tuna from Harvey Store.

Good comms but delivery was a couple of weeks as the watch went from their Swiss warehouse to Italy before being posted to me to avoid the VAT charge from Switzerland. This was their decision, not mine – I knew nothing until I emailed to find out where the watch was.

So, they were fine for a purchase worth a couple of hundred £s but I probably wouldn't use them for a four-figure watch because of the weird logistics. If they use Chrono24's secure payment thing that might mitigate the risk?

Craftsman
    Received my Grand Seiko few days ago from Harvey. Everything fine, but took approximately two weeks to arrive. It was advertised as in Germany, but same model was in Swizerland as well. How do they move them around isn’t my problem.

Thanks for both of you above. That sounds promising. They are the cheapest too. I don’t mind how they get it to me as long as it does arrive and it is 100% new.

I imagine you will have tried one on? Only ask as they are by far the lightest quality watch I have ever experienced... was a bit unsettling on the first wearings of mine!

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    I imagine you will have tried one on? Only ask as they are by far the lightest quality watch I have ever experienced... was a bit unsettling on the first wearings of mine!

Yup. I’ve had one in the past actually. But at the time I didn’t fully appreciate it and I didn’t feel the need for a white dial. Now my collection is small and this is the one thing missing.

Great stuff; hope you land one soon

Master
    Blue snow is the way forward

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post

Very very nice.

I’m tempted to go with a snowflake and this:

Timeless won't be cheaper with the correct VAT paid. OP knows what I'm saying and why I'm saying it specifically with that retailer (not going into more detail than this as there are a lot of muck flingers on here) but my advice is don't as it is potentially a world of trouble. Buy it in the EU.

These can be readily had from ADs at 20% off. Jura would do that if you have previous with them. I got one from them at 33% off when they had a sale a year or so ago which was 25% off plus a voucher code. That was around xmas time so it might be worth hanging on a bit to see what crops up.

I'd personally advise getting pre owned (well actually I'd advise stumping up a bit more moolah and getting one of the Elegance range as they are phenomenal pieces. SBGK005 would be my pick).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanb741; 19th November 2019 at 00:51.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Timeless won't be cheaper with the correct VAT paid. OP knows what I'm saying and why I'm saying it specifically with that retailer (not going into more detail than this as there are a lot of muck flingers on here) but my advice is don't as it is potentially a world of trouble. Buy it in the EU.

These can be readily had from ADs at 20% off. Jura would do that if you have previous with them. I got one from them at 33% off when they had a sale a year or so ago which was 25% off plus a voucher code. That was around xmas time so it might be worth hanging on a bit to see what crops up.

I'd personally advise getting pre owned (well actually I'd advise stumping up a bit more moolah and getting one of the Elegance range as they are phenomenal pieces. SBGK005 would be my pick).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Cheers for the advice. With Black Friday around the corner Jura might come to my rescue lol

Just stumbled upon this:

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/d...eiko-snowflake

Craftsman
    Thanks contacted them but it could take 10weeks to receive via them. Not in a rush but seems like I can get it much sooner for similar price.

I just bought from them. Despite quoting 10 weeks and more likely be in the new year, they have sourced one in 10 days.

If you’re happy to wait then worth the potential saving.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The boutique with a couple of free straps, a delpoyant clasp and a free (transferable) first service.

Master
    Just stumbled upon this:

Thanks for posting that link - v interesting as never seen one in bits before.. hope you get your Snowflake :)

Master
    Just stumbled upon this:

Very interesting article, if you ever wanted to know how the electronics and mechanical elements come together, this explains a lot.

Banned
    Blog Entries

That is beautiful and will be my next GS for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I just bought from them. Despite quoting 10 weeks and more likely be in the new year, they have sourced one in 10 days.

If you’re happy to wait then worth the potential saving.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks.

That does sound promising. I’ll speak to an AD and see if they can get close to these guys on price but otherwise these guys may be a good option then. Don’t mind a short wait. 10 weeks is a bit much though.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The boutique with a couple of free straps, a delpoyant clasp and a free (transferable) first service.
    Thanks. Thing is I’ve tried straps on so many watches on straps and deployants but have never been happy with them. I’ve accepted I’m a bracelet guy.

This is so nice

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Stick to Seiko boutique and get a discount
    Good luck with that

Stick to Seiko boutique and get a discount/free service and piece of mind if anything were to go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’d like to buy from them but they strictly said no negotiation on price. At a £1000 premium compared to say Watches of Mayfair.... Not sure I can justify that.

Stick to Seiko boutique and get a discount/free service and piece of mind if anything were to go wrong.
    They wouldn't even price match for me. No discounts (at all) but lots of good service, straps, free service.

Popped into WoS in the wharf just now and they said they’d give 3% off at most on a Snowflake. Also I may be a bit OCD but they said it’s the display model I’d be given. Which seems a bit off really.

They wouldn’t budge at all on price on the Limited blue dial Elegance model in case anyone is wondering.

I may explore the Watches of Mayfair option further then.