closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 43mm Seadweller Two Tone 126603 - opinions

Master

43mm Seadweller Two Tone 126603 - opinions

Looking to see if anyone has this reference and what their thoughts on it is, or, anyone else who has maybe been hands on and tried it?

Was talking about this model to a fellow TZer last week and ever since I've been thinking about this model and been swaying between "thats actually quite a handsome looking watch with a bit of wrist presence" to "why in the name of all thats Holy have they released this abomination".

I suspect it is not to a lot of peoples taste and will divide opinion but it intrigues me.

Some online images to whet the appetite!

Craftsman
    It’s the only wish list piece I’ve ever declined from my AD. Too big, and looks like a massive TT Sub, which is definitely not a good thing.

Master
    Compared with the 126600 i consider it vulgar but some will consider it tasteful.

A real tool watch, but made blingy. I don't personally think that makes sense from a wearer's perspective.

Are you considering it because it's one of the more available Rolex? These times of watch drought can play logic havok with your wishlists.

Clearly a watch that upsets the purists, just as the TT sub does - but I like it.

Sod convention 👍

Craftsman
    Personally I wouldn't buy one or wear one. It's just another step further away from what a sea dweller is about.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post
    It’s the only wish list piece I’ve ever declined from my AD. Too big, and looks like a massive TT Sub, which is definitely not a good thing.
    I agree, its a showpiece for everything that is wrong with the modern professional rolex.

When I got back from holiday in August my AD called with words to the effect of there is something a "bit special" here for you if you want it but be quick.

Pulse racing, I made hasty progress to the AD's door and once seated I was confronted with this piece. Massive, blingy and plain wrong! A tool watch in drag.

The AD looked astonished when I declined and hit me with a slightly churlish "it will be gone by this afternoon". She was right, which I suppose is a sign of the times.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    A real tool watch, but made blingy. I don't personally think that makes sense from a wearer's perspective.

Are you considering it because it's one of the more available Rolex? These times of watch drought can play logic havok with your wishlists.
    Not because of the availability (I have no idea if these are more readily available), just because it is different, different is not always a good thing though!

Master
    Looked much better irl than pics. I am not a TT person though so will stick with the SS SD43.

Journeyman
    Conflicting look and purpose. Plus feel its a tad bit too bulky atleast for me

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Looking to see if anyone has this reference and what their thoughts on it is, or, anyone else who has maybe been hands on and tried it?

Was talking about this model to a fellow TZer last week and ever since I've been thinking about this model and been swaying between "thats actually quite a handsome looking watch with a bit of wrist presence" to "why in the name of all thats Holy have they released this abomination".

I suspect it is not to a lot of peoples taste and will divide opinion but it intrigues me.

Some online images to whet the appetite!

Anything goes in Dubai i guess
    Its like a gold plated Jeep

Master
    When I had the 5 digit TT sub back in the day I loved the head but found the bracelet too blingy and, imo, nothing's changed with the SD. If you put it on a black RubberB though, I think you'd have a great looking watch.

Tried one on last week in a local independent shop
    Not really for me but not as ostentatious as I thought when it was on the wrist, which I found surprising.
    I’ve had the SS version and loved that though- for me the best sized modern Rolex sports model

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Clearly a watch that upsets the purists, just as the TT sub does - but I like it.

Sod convention 
    Bravo,I like it too.
    But majority don’t seem to for a bunch of reasons (including to but not limited to lack of guts, taste and imagination ).
    It is far easier to get that most sports SD/Subs. Hence it is a money loser on secondary market.

Personally I’m not really a fan of two tone watches but I quite like that though couldn’t wear it with that bracelet as it makes the whole just too blingy for my taste. For me it would have to be either a plain oyster or black rubber as was previously suggested.

I have a 126600 i.e. a standard 43mm stainless steel model and have worn little else for months. At 43mm it’s the right size for me.

Craftsman
    Must be my age , but along with other two tone releases from Tudor, I really like it.
    Different from the norm and none the worse for that.
    I know not in the same ball park, but my first “nice watch” back in 1990 (for my 30th) rocked the gold look.
    Still have it and although now a might small for my taste my wife wears it often.
    3]

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I disliked it in pictures, then handled one, then really disliked it.

Master
    So, decided to go and have a look at one.

In the flesh much much better than I was expecting, very wearable, not nearly as shouty or blingy as I expected it to be from images I'd seen, in fact quite the opposite. I was actually quite taken with it.

If it were a choice would I choose it over my CHNR, no. If I wanted a 2 tone piece and this was available when a CHNR wasn't, absolutely would have no hesitation to have it.

Craftsman
    I've lost track of the amount of watches I adore in photos or videos but which I think are appalling once you get on the wrist. This is one of the very few opposites to that phenomena.
    Stylistically, conceptually, historically it's just...wrong. But try one on and it's an amazing piece. Don't slate it until you've worn it.

Craftsman
    I wear an sD50 as a daily , it’s a wonderful watch and I never get tired of the little flash of red .

This two tone IMHO is just wrong .

Craftsman
    Not a fan of this one to be honest, rare to find an “ugly” Rolex but I think there’s one here in my opinion!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've got 5 SeaDwellers but I would never buy that!

Master
    "why in the name of all thats Holy have they released this abomination".
    I believe that this is the correct answer!

Master
    I think the larger 6 digit two tones just works where the 5 digits don’t

I quite like it ...

Master
    We discussed this today Nev and I am going to delay comment until I try one on, hopefully on Friday at our local AD. Buying is not an option atm due to my recent house move, but in any case it would have to be really special to unseat the SS 126600 model. We each share a love for those.
    Don't think it will surpass the CHNR in my TT Rolex ranking. Report after Thursday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Perhaps it needs a new name. But it fits the current range of “sport” Rolex just fine.

Arful watch hated it from launch doubt will see 5 years before getting axed

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post

Stylistically, conceptually, historically it's just...wrong.

One of the reasons I like this watch more than I should is the historical legitimacy. A number of the first of Rolex’s series of deep sea prototypes, the ‘Deep Sea Special’, were made with a bi-metal bracelet.

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...4-details.aspx

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    One of the reasons I like this watch more than I should is the historical legitimacy. A number of the first of Rolex’s series of deep sea prototypes, the ‘Deep Sea Special’, were made with a bi-metal bracelet.

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...4-details.aspx
    I had forgotten about that!

https://www.hodinkee.com/videos/talk...-ali-rashidian

Craftsman
    Good point loon, I only watched that video last week as well!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Good point loon, I only watched that video last week as well!
    It’s certainly interesting that they decided to give (some of) the Deep Sea Specials a bi-metal bracelet, but waited until 1984 (16803 Sub) or 2019 (the Rolesor Sea-Dweller) to series produce such a watch.

The adverts of the time were in black and white, so I suppose they thought a bit of gold might liven it up for the tours of ADs...
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 19th November 2019 at 15:56.

Craftsman
    Love it. First Rolex that’s tempted me in a few years, has the chunk and heft of a DSSD with the dress factor of a bi metal. May have to view in the flesh for a real opinion but looks promising.

Master
    I love it but I’m biased as I have the sub which is almost identical

Craftsman
    So that's sorted then, it's OK to like the watch (so I don't feel like a charlatan)?1

I love the look but have no desire to own one - today.
    Gray

I was at an event where a guy tried on the two tone Sub - actually looks really nice on his wrist. This however is much bigger, but again if you like it why not:)

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Hedious springs to mind

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Is that a cross between hideous and odious?

Master
    Saw both Sub TT and SD TT side by side in an AD window. The sub looks more proportional but to be honest both look good in flesh.

Am yet to see one in the flesh but the more I see of the pictures, the more I really like it. Am thinking of part ex'ing the DJ II and the GMT II towards it

Apprentice
    So, decided to go and have a look at one.

In the flesh much much better than I was expecting, very wearable, not nearly as shouty or blingy as I expected it to be from images I'd seen, in fact quite the opposite. I was actually quite taken with it.

If it were a choice would I choose it over my CHNR, no. If I wanted a 2 tone piece and this was available when a CHNR wasn't, absolutely would have no hesitation to have it.

I think it looks beautiful but I like all Rolex sports

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I love it but I’m biased as I have the sub which is almost identical
    Ditto but I wear my DSSD and my bisub on different occasions- I reckon this one could be a one watch for me.

Hmmmm... This is crying out for a 'steering wheel' shot (German brands only, obviously).

Craftsman

I mentioned this as I was picking something else up today and when I returned after them adjusting the links they brought this example out of the safe (I won't name names as it was awaiting it's owner picking it up). Trying one on again has really sealed the deal for me-it is stunning.

The bracelet however I could take or leave. I suggested swapping the bracelet over from my SD50 to tone it down when the manager suggested the simplest solution...

Stick it on a RubberB or similar!

Honestly, I think it would be stunning.