closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC November 2019 (pic heavy)

Master

SOTC November 2019 (pic heavy)

As I have made a few changes, I thought it was a good time to post my current watches and also what I have recently sold. Nothing exotic or out of ordinary, aside from the Raketa. There’s also not a lot of variation but that’s down to my taste more than anything else. In other words, I have no shame in admitting that I am a Speedmaster and professional Rolex fanboy lol.

Master
    Current Collection:

The BLNR remains my favourite by some margin. I have had it for the longest period of time and it will probably be the last one to go, if ever. I was a “one watch man” when I bought it and sold my GMT LN before even trying to get it.

Hulk is the newest addition and I started wearing it on my recent birthday. I like how it brings a bit of boldness into my otherwise (mostly) traditional collection of watches with dark dials and bezels.

It became somewhat special as I had it on when I decided to run my first half marathon 2 days ago. Glidelock is so handy ... had to loosen it twice during the run. This picture taken immediately after getting home from the run shows weather was miserable on Friday evening:

The ND Sub is just nice and simple. Not having to set the date when rotating to this watch is great. When I had a black dialled Sub Date, I definitely preferred this over the date version. Too early to say whether I like this or the green Sub more.

Speedy Tuesday 1 is my most preferred watch after BLNR. I was lucky to get it from an OB when these were almost finished being delivered. I wasn’t even on the online waiting list. I had just mentioned my interest to the OB (with no previous history) while having a bracelet resized and they called me a couple of months later when a customer apparently changed his mind.

Ultraman was bought by properly registering for it online at the reveal. The colours are very nice. Not a fan of the Ultraman silhouette on the small seconds dial but it’s hardly visible unless you look for it.

This is also a very recent purchase. To say that I’m impressed by Hamilton Khaki would be an understatement. The finishing is outstanding. Lume is beautiful. Movement, with 80 hour power reserve, is super smooth and a pleasure to wind. Accuracy is of “superlative chronometer” standard - it runs at +1.5 spd! I haven’t tried a lot of watches but anything else that I have owned in this style of watch and in this price range, doesn’t come anywhere close, quite frankly. Seikos are obviously known for their excellent value for money, and rightly so. Other than that, I would be very interested in finding out what else is out there in this price bracket with equivalent or better quality. It came with a green strap but I have bought this green and white Hamilton NATO that I think suits it even better. The olive green dial is beautiful but unfortunately my picture doesn’t show the true colour.

Bought this Raketa purely because it’s so different: yellow dial and the hour hand completes a full rotation every 24 hours as opposed to 12. The hour hand is slightly misaligned but I don’t care, given the price. While accuracy isn’t good, it is still better than some that cost me about 15 times more (this was super cheap).

This is a quartz and I have not worn it much. The finishing is amazing, especially considering what it cost me.

Citizen eco-drive chrono ... again excellent vfm. Very good size for my wrist. I keep forgetting that it has a 24 hour subdial so good job it isn’t a mechanical and I don’t have to set it when wearing it after a while. It’s on my wrist today.

I also have an Apple Watch Series 2 which I wear more than any other watch (basically all the time on my right wrist other than when sleeping/charging) due to its fitness/activity features. Not posting a picture as I don’t think anyone would care.

Moved on Within the Last Year or So:

Regular Sub Date ... wasn’t getting worn due to it looking somewhat similar to the GMT in most light conditions and I preferred the ND Sub.

I didn’t actually sell this Tudor GMT but returned to the AD after keeping it for a few weeks while I thought about it. I still wanted to mention it because I liked it so much. It arrived after a 3-4 months wait, I loved the looks and really wanted to keep it. Shame it was too chunky for my wrist.

Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary ... beautiful watch. Couldn’t live with how difficult it was to wind compared to my other Speedies (that were also bought new) so it had to go. The bracelet was superb. While I was a little apprehensive about the gold bits at first, it was relatively understated.

60th Anniversary Speedmaster. Looked great on the bracelet, leather and NATO that came with it. Perfect size for my wrist. Had to sell it because I ended up with 3 Speedies with the same movement. Chose this one for the chop because I had already enjoyed it for nearly a year.

Nomos Orion Date. Elegant, super thin, well-finished. Sold it to partly fund the incoming Hulk.

The caseback was a typical Nomos beauty.

Beautiful blue dial IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince. Another one sold to help fill a Hulk-shaped hole in my bank account lol. Had it for nearly 1 year but not worn as much as some of my other watches.

This IWC Ingenieur 3227 was a thing of beauty. Probably the most accurate watch I have owned, despite no concrete proof of service history! Knowing it looked too big on my wrist but buying it regardless, purely based on looks and engineering, hoping I could live with it ... big mistake and one that cost me dearly (by pre-owned watch standards) for the half a dozen times I wore it.

CWC G10 quartz may be a forum favourite but it didn’t do anything for me. Nice watch for the money though.

Couple of others that I sold without wearing much. Smiths PRS-29B and PRS-29AM.

Last edited by FK77; 17th November 2019 at 23:22.

Master
    Thanks for sharing, an interesting read and journey. Lovely collection.

It's really good to see the ones you've held on to as well as the ones you've tried and passed on - adds a nice story to things.

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing, great collection past and present. If I had to pick one from the current ones it would be the BLNR same as you.
    The past would keep the Tudor GMT..... then again, I’m biased

That Raketa - is almost digi-analog.

You have to read the hour number, but the position of the minute hand should register with you - an intriguing watch.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing! Some of those gone are rather special - but glad you have kept the ones *you* like.

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That Raketa - is almost digi-analog.

You have to read the hour number, but the position of the minute hand should register with you - an intriguing watch.
    Yes. Worth all of its £25 just for that reason.

Craftsman

SOTC November 2019 (pic heavy)

Thanks for the write up, interesting to hear the reasons, esp for the departed - I’ve looked in to several of them! In fact, think it was probably your 3227 I kept looking at on SC hoping it had shrunk..

TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Nice post thanks for sharing. Have you tried sticking the glidelock bracelet on the BLNR? Might be the best combo...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Nice post thanks for sharing. Have you tried sticking the glidelock bracelet on the BLNR? Might be the best combo...
    Haven't tried. GMT's clasp has a 5mm adjustment as well. Not as flexible as glidelock but still useful sometimes. At the tight setting it fits snugly on my wrist and when there is a little expansion I just unfold it to loosen a bit.

Nice collection, you've also moved things on so overall a busy year! Given you've basically covered a lot of the modern Rolex and Speedmaster variants, a new focus for 2020 perhaps?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Given you've basically covered a lot of the modern Rolex and Speedmaster variants, a new focus for 2020 perhaps?
    When funds allow, I would like to try these brands (in no particular order):
    Guinand
    Sinn
    Grand Seiko
    Zenith
    Glashutte Original

Can't see that anytime soon though due to far more important things happening in life.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    When funds allow, I would like to try these brands (in no particular order):
    Guinand
    Sinn
    Grand Seiko
    Zenith
    Glashutte Original

Can't see that anytime soon though due to far more important things happening in life.
    Solid choices - but you've also got a cracking collection to not worry about it and simply enjoy what we have. We don't do that enough I think!!!

The ultraman is gorgeous:)

Cracking collection.
    You have let go of some beauties as well.

Craftsman
    A very very nice SOTC. You have let some stunner's go too!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Some of those gone are rather special - but glad you have kept the ones *you* like.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You have let go of some beauties as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiSetts View Post
    You have let some stunner's go too!!
    Yes, but thankfully I have no regrets. The ones I have let go were sold to free up funds for other watches or were the wrong size for me or I didn’t like them much. Also, most of them should be easily obtainable if I really wanted them again in future.