closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol or Diesel?

Petrol or Diesel?

Evening Gents,

What’s the consensus these days? It’s time for a new lease (15k miles PA). Diesel seems to be significantly more economical on the models I’m looking at, is there any danger in committing for another 36 months or am I going to get hammered with tax?

Cheers all!

Journeyman
    I hate the noise that a diesel engine makes and only buy petrol, I get 40mpg and do about 15k a year which is efficient enought for me but if you're going for a lease car then there's no risk with the residual values so just go with whatever is a good deal now.

Master
    Company car or private.

I’ve driven diesel cars for years due to lower BIK but now in private car and it’s petrol (but less miles per annum)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungleaio View Post
    I hate the noise that a diesel engine makes and only buy petrol,
    Apart from start up, I wouldn’t say I notice the sound of the diesel. It doesn’t sound wonderful like my late lamented straight 6 petrol did but it’s not a material factor - assuming you choose the “right” one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungleaio View Post
    I hate the noise that a diesel engine makes and only buy petrol, I get 40mpg and do about 15k a year which is efficient enought for me but if you're going for a lease car then there's no risk with the residual values so just go with whatever is a good deal now.
    No noise here. Love diesel shove.

Master
    Do the tax rules (including congestion charge, etc) give any credit for diesels that use Adblue to reduce (remove?) bad exhaust emissions? That might be a factor.

Master
    Just having this dilemma when looking to replace the wife's car early next year.
    Also considering hybrids and possibly full electric.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Company car or private.

I’ve driven diesel cars for years due to lower BIK but now in private car and it’s petrol (but less miles per annum)
    Private car, funded by car allowance. Paid 13p per mile for work trips so I’d be better off on a Diesel in that sense due to the mpg being about 25% better on the diesel. I’m more concerned about being banned from city centres (Bristol for example, not that I go there often) or other issues!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Just having this dilemma when looking to replace the wife's car early next year.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Plan is to do that after this one for me!

Craftsman
    With that mileage, petrol or hybrid.

Diesels are hateful things.

Master
    Depends where you live..

I like my diesel VW. 60mpg, has the power I need. Only issue is that Bristol are now going to outright ban diesel from the centre, so I'm stuffed. I don't think Bristol will be a one off case.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post

Diesels are hateful things.
    Not if you get a good one. 6 cylinder diesels are far nicer than 4.

Master
    Diesels are great for motorway sales rep style usage.
    Hybrids are probably best for mixed / family use.
    Petrol is going to become a performance niche.
    Electric is great as a second car unless you can afford one of the long range big hitters and your home situation can accommodate charge points. Then it becomes a valid alternative to all but the power diesel case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Diesels are great for motorway sales rep style usage.
    Hybrids are probably best for mixed / family use.
    Petrol is going to become a performance niche.
    Electric is great as a second car unless you can afford one of the long range big hitters and your home situation can accommodate charge points. Then it becomes a valid alternative to all but the power diesel case.

That is what I used to do but I’m in a managerial role now and attend a lot less meetings. The particular car I have my heart set on does 30mpg combined on petrol which isn’t ideal, but I suppose it doesn’t really matter with the limited driving I now do. I would be seriously annoyed being stuck with a car for 3 years that gets banned from various areas!

I’ve gone hybrid and no regrets, the electric motor fills in with decent torque, petrol gives good motorway cruising, 52mpg average. £0 RFL, 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, wafts around town quietly on electric alone, All wheel drive, there’s nothing much to dislike. Oh it’s a BMW 225xe Active Tourer xDrive.

The loud diesel rattle usually only comes after about 3 years and is most noticeable on small engines. As you're leasing I would get whatever you want. If you're paranoid go for a 24 month term?

Grand Master
    In my experience 4 cylinder diesels are always a bit noisy and rattly at tickover, particularly when starting from cold. They produce low- frequency vibration which is well suppressed in a bigger car but less so in a smaller one, you get used to it but its always present. The high torque output over a relatively low speed range makes them better suited to automatic gearboxes than manual, a diesel auto us an ideal combination. 6 cylinder diesels are far smoother, but as they’re bigger and thirstier they hold less appeal to the ‘benefit in kind’ brigade who are heavily influenced by costs/tax.

Manufacturers have charged higher prices for diesel cars for years, which is hard to justify, but resale values have always been stronger so the overall depreciation ( vs petrol) has usually been lower. However, the worrying trend towards excluding diesels from city centres is likely to have an effect and I would be reluctant to spend a big chunk of my own money on a diesel car thesedays. If a car is leased this isn’t a problem, I dislike the leasing /PCP thing but given the uncertainty regarding diesels I’d seriously consider it if I was looking at running a newish car.

It’ll be interesting to see how things develop over the next 10 years, I’m still not convinced that purely electric cars are the answer for many people, their popularity will grow but the charging problems don’t seem easily resolvable, how do you charge one overnight if you park it on the street?

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I switched from Company Car to Private Lease 3 years ago and swapped from Diesel to Petrol at the same time. Like you I do circa 15k miles per year and both of my leases so far have delivered around 50mpg in mixed driving. I'm not sure whether I would go back to diesel now as the general refinement is so much better with Petrol - they are simply a nicer place to be.

Tax policy over the next few years is anyone's guess. My suspicion remains that diesel BIK will get hit hard (as a softer target) before private motorists are but who knows - I said that 3 years ago and RFL has been the biggest change since.

My current plan is to stick with 24month leases to delivery predictability and avoid longer term commitments while avoiding capital exposure if residuals go south.
    Last edited by Mr Nuttington; 18th November 2019 at 10:18.

Master
    I have two diesels and am pleased with both and would like to remain diesel.

The only problem is that the environmental lobby are out for diesels guts and now Bristol is seriously thinking of banning diesel from the city on a permanent basis. I believe that London is considering something similar and, if so, the idea could spread quite fast which will make a diesel car all but useless.

I ended up ordering a Petrol. I have 14 days to back out if I want to. Almost feels like I’ve fixed my mortgage rate at a slightly higher rate to give myself certainty.

I’m hoping the hybrid / electric option is really nailed in 3 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I ended up ordering a Petrol. I have 14 days to back out if I want to. Almost feels like I’ve fixed my mortgage rate at a slightly higher rate to give myself certainty.

I’m hoping the hybrid / electric option is really nailed in 3 years time.
    What did you get in the end? Just being nosey.

Blog Entries
    Okay, curve ball........electric??

EV’s are gathering pace, sales and acceptance and regardless of folks thoughts on battery life and final disposal.

Tesla Model 3 hitting no3 in UK monthly sales charts, which would have seen as a mad suggestion at the beginning of 2019.

Factor in BIK at 0% next year (1 & 2% the following two years) so if Company car an option it is a no brainier.

I have two PCH’s ending in the Spring and at least one will be an EV maybe both.

Just my couple of pence worth.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Diesel Yuk! Petrol or some version including electric for me.

Grand Master
    Electric car’s OK if you don’t travel far and you’re at home every night to charge it up. I’d be uneasy about having it plugged in on the drive, I’d be happier with it in a garage. It’ll work for some folks but not everyone, can’t see me buying one anytime soon.

Diesel’s dead, baby. Diesel’s dead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not if you get a good one. 6 cylinder diesels are far nicer than 4.
    Agree on this, if you choose the right engine.
    I've been driving a 6 cylinder 430d BMW for a year & moved from a 2.0d A6 Avant.
    The difference in engine is significant in terms of performance & refinement, but more surprisingly the 6 cylinder BMW is more efficient, averaging 43 mpg over the year!
    Based on my experience I'd go diesel - especially if a lease car & residuals aren't an issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    No noise here. Love diesel shove.
    But hate the way it just falls of a cliff at a certain engine speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    With your average 'cooking' one, perhaps.

Go for a 6 cylinder twin turbo, no - never.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I have a 3.0TDI Audi A4 Avant that simply doesn't fall off a cliff. I rarely take it to anywhere near the red line as you just don't need to but it will rev there rapidly if asked. I have also had the engine remapped and it literally pulls like a train from about 1,500rpm. Given the choice of equal capacity petrol or diesel I would choose diesel every time; there's just far more low-end torque which makes driving far easier and I say this as a former TVR and Ferrari owner. My next car will either be an A6 Avant 3.0TDI or an RS6; whichever it is, it will be remapped.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Be aware that the hybrid/electric is thé most vulnerable to the wims of gvt.
    If possible future negative changes in taxing is a worry than this is the category to stay away from.

The only real negative for diesels is that the current negative manipulation will see an increasing numbers of councils ban them from town center. That already ís happening.

Master
    Not here either.
    Diesel is a different way of driving - squeeze the accelerator & enjoy the low end torque.
    Jam your foot down on a 4 cylinder diesel & you may find a cliff!

Master
    We bought a BMW X1 a few months ago - 4WD - 2 litre 150bhp Diesel - drove 70 miles on mway today and got 60mpg at an average of 70mph
    Generally it is easy with normal driving to get close to 50mpg, the new BM Diesel engine seems very good when mated to the 8 speed Auto box ....... rolls along most of the time at around 2000 rpm........ and the power is always there when you put your foot down, the Auto box takes care of that
    I really feel that it is a very good car - and it is a replacement for a Skoda Yeti

We also have a E92 335d - 3 litre twin turbo diesel which is just a marvellous car, great torque and 0 to 60mpg in 6 secs - regularly get 40mpg driving it reasonably quickly

We have had diesels for years and always found them to be very good for our use
    Last edited by BillN; 18th November 2019 at 22:35.

Unless you're doing intergalactic miles every year, I can't understand why anyone would choose an oil burner? Especially with the economy and low CO2/tax of modern petrol engines.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Not here either.
    Diesel is a different way of driving - squeeze the accelerator & enjoy the low end torque.
    Jam your foot down on a 4 cylinder diesel & you may find a cliff!
    I have 2 diesel cars and find the power and smoothness of both perfectly adequate, both for my commute through country roads and on a motorway. I’m not a petrolhead but I do appreciate a decent car - however a lot of comments about high performance, ‘grunt’ and power delivery seem a bit ‘boy racer’ don’t they? I mean where can you use the power safely on today’s roads? Frankly I’m much more interested in arriving safely than a couple of minutes earlier, but maybe I’m in the minority?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I have 2 diesel cars and find the power and smoothness of both perfectly adequate, both for my commute through country roads and on a motorway. I’m not a petrolhead but I do appreciate a decent car - however a lot of comments about high performance, ‘grunt’ and power delivery seem a bit ‘boy racer’ don’t they? I mean where can you use the power safely on today’s roads? Frankly I’m much more interested in arriving safely than a couple of minutes earlier, but maybe I’m in the minority?

I'd say you're absolutely correct. There will be some who see the punchiness of the throttle, all that guff, as all important. The vast majority will just want to know that if they press their foot down more, the car will accelerate. The noise made will not even be a factor, I mean you don't even notice it over the sound of the stereo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Evening Gents,

What’s the consensus these days? It’s time for a new lease (15k miles PA). Diesel seems to be significantly more economical on the models I’m looking at, is there any danger in committing for another 36 months or am I going to get hammered with tax?

Cheers all!
    The lease company pays the tax on my lease car. Is that not standard?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

I think he means tax of the inland revenue type but I could be completely wrong

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I think he means tax of the inland revenue type ??
    Ah. Why would inland revenue care if it were diesel or petrol?

Ah. Why would inland revenue care if it were diesel or petrol?

Are they not treated differently for BIK purposes ?
    Diesels being the fuel of the Devil etc ?

Master
    Are they not treated differently for BIK purposes ?
    Diesels being the fuel of the Devil etc ?
    Ah. I forget some people get such perks and allowances as part of their job.

Master
    They do, but only based on the rate at the time you sign the lease agreement.
    If the government double your vehicle licence fee during the lease term, then you will need to pay the additional fee.

I used to have a Diesel Audi and because of the inevitability of Diesels being banned in London planned to buy a Tesla Model S. Deal was nearly done but when I sat in the cabin I was so underwhelmed by the Ford-esque interior on a £72k car. Ended up buying a Range Rover Velar with a 3 litre engine in SVR spec as it was a world apart in terms of cabin refinement. However as it is largely used on the school run at average 8 mph and I can see on the app it averaged 9 MPG fuel economy on said run in hindsight I'd have gone for the Tesla and put up with the crappy interior.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I used to have a Diesel Audi and because of the inevitability of Diesels being banned in London planned to buy a Tesla Model S. Deal was nearly done but when I sat in the cabin I was so underwhelmed by the Ford-esque interior on a £72k car. Ended up buying a Range Rover Velar with a 3 litre engine in SVR spec as it was a world apart in terms of cabin refinement. However as it is largely used on the school run at average 8 mph and I can see on the app it averaged 9 MPG fuel economy on said run in hindsight I'd have gone for the Tesla and put up with the crappy interior.

I completely agree. A friend borrowed one for a day with a serious intention of buying, ended up getting a db9! Hopefully they’ll be more interesting electric cars soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What did you get in the end? Just being nosey.
    Evoque R-Dynamic SE P200, although I still need to sign some more paperwork apparently.

I want/need a small SUV. Almost all friends and family suggested alternatives (e-pace, X4, Q3, GLC etc). When I saw them in person nothing came close to the new evoque for the interior design, plus it comes with a lot of nice tech etc. I’ll probably regret it when it breaks down!

I think he means tax of the inland revenue type but I could be completely wrong
    Tax was probably the wrong word, it was congestion charges, additional parking charge, bans from city centres etc for having a diesel.

Lovely choice but yes, it may break down being a JLR car! Hopefully you're alright but it is a very nice option. I have a GLC and wouldn't buy another. Awful infotainment and boring drive. The Evoque will be nicer inside.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    They do, but only based on the rate at the time you sign the lease agreement.
    If the government double your vehicle licence fee during the lease term, then you will need to pay the additional fee.
    Interesting. Thanks for this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

The Audi e-tron would also have been with considering. The cabin is very refined and feels like a £70k car. It might not have the acceleration of a Tesla or I-pace but it’s more than adequate for most people.
    I am patiently waiting for mine to be delivered in January!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    The Audi e-tron would also have been with considering. The cabin is very refined and feels like a £70k car. It might not have the acceleration of a Tesla or I-pace but it’s more than adequate for most people.
    I am patiently waiting for mine to be delivered in January!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Considered that but when I did the order (Dec last year) the E Trons weren't yet properly on sale. Also Tesla has the supercharger network which makes long runs nothing to fear. I believe the charging network for non Tesla cars is much weaker.

Also tried the I Pace. Thought it was expensive for what it was with very poor rear visibility but it drove like a proper sports car so I can see the appeal.

My brother in law is going through selection of an EV just now, because the benefit is taxable on a mere 1% of the value, and his company are all over this.
    He came to the conclusion that the Audi was the only option that felt like the cost when you got inside.
    The Jag salesman (looking at the I Pace) himself noted that a lot of the £60-70k EV are, in essence, a £30k car eqipped with a £30k battery.

D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    My brother in law is going through selection of an EV just now, because the benefit is taxable on a mere 1% of the value, and his company are all over this.
    He came to the conclusion that the Audi was the only option that felt like the cost when you got inside.
    The Jag salesman (looking at the I Pace) himself noted that a lot of the £60-70k EV are, in essence, a £30k car eqipped with a £30k battery.

D
    Now that is interesting. Considering I get taxed heavily on my car allowance, a company car with a 1% benefit tax would make a lot of sense for me.

Unfortunately I can’t charge at home, or at work but hopefully that will change in 3 years. By then I’m sure they’ll find a way to tax it by then!