closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petrol or Diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Now that is interesting. Considering I get taxed heavily on my car allowance, a company car with a 1% benefit tax would make a lot of sense for me.

Unfortunately I can’t charge at home, or at work but hopefully that will change in 3 years. By then I’m sure they’ll find a way to tax it by then!
    The plan is apparently for EV tax to be increased 1% per tax year. No doubt, if it proves too successful, it will be escalated more quickly, but that is the idea, to incentivise the changeover to EVs.
    D

Apprentice
    I think the Jag ipace is a great car - wickedly quick (similar 0-60 as a Cayman S) and pittence to run. If you have a company car and are paying large chunks of cash out in tax then it certainly starts to make more sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The plan is apparently for EV tax to be increased 1% per tax year. No doubt, if it proves too successful, it will be escalated more quickly, but that is the idea, to incentivise the changeover to EVs.
    D
    Yeah right!!

Hybrids used to be VED free, but not anymore.

Just a thought, but is a lot of the ‘luxury padding’ missing in EV’s down to sensible weight reduction to maximise range and performance? A friend gets a new Range Rover every couple of years and I’m always surprised how small it feels inside compared to my ‘normal’ car, bearing in mind from the outside it’s like a barge - seems to be down to the huge and deeply padded seats, acres of leather and chrome and everything being a bit oversized and expensive looking (I say this as the seats don’t seem any more comfortable, just look enormous). All fine if you have a big guzzling V8 and money to burn, but if you want an electric car you might have to make compromises on perceived ‘luxury’ just to get from a to b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Just a thought, but is a lot of the ‘luxury padding’ missing in EV’s down to sensible weight reduction to maximise range and performance? A friend gets a new Range Rover every couple of years and I’m always surprised how small it feels inside compared to my ‘normal’ car, bearing in mind from the outside it’s like a barge - seems to be down to the huge and deeply padded seats, acres of leather and chrome and everything being a bit oversized and expensive looking (I say this as the seats don’t seem any more comfortable, just look enormous). All fine if you have a big guzzling V8 and money to burn, but if you want an electric car you might have to make compromises on perceived ‘luxury’ just to get from a to b.
    This will indeed be a big factor as weight impacts range significantly.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I am looking at this decision now for the wife, a petrol 1.2 3008 gets around 40-50mpg the 1.6 HDI gets 60-70mpg, that's quite a big jump in running costs. Both are the same value 2nd hand so no cheaper buying a petrol. She will do around 12-15k miles every year, 2-3 long trips a week and the rest school runs etc. Still stuck to which way to go.

I was tempted by a hybrid but the extra cost compared to a petrol / diesel is huge, and you will never get that money back from lower running costs. Plus I still do not fully believe the benefit of EV, since you plug them into a wall and that power in made with burning fossil fuels, so its the same pollution just from a different source. Until the UK power supply is 0% fossil fuels the EV seems pointless.

The problem right now is that nobody knows the answer, bacause nobody knows which way the political winds will blow. The only certainty is that councils will seize the opportunity to cash in, and trumpet their green credentials by taxing diesels out of city centres, and from there it's only a short step to ban all fossil-fuel burning vehicles.

This neatly ignores the environmental cost of producing electric vehicles, specifically their batteries, but this is conveniently overlooked by those who's role in life is to tell us all what we should do.

For the private motorist, paying for their driving from their own taxed income the only certainty is that diesel will be taxed or legislated against heavily, because it suits the politicians, both national and local, to do so. Anybody buying privately right now would be very brave (in the "Yes, Prime Minister" sense) to buy diesel.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The problem right now is that nobody knows the answer, bacause nobody knows which way the political winds will blow. The only certainty is that councils will seize the opportunity to cash in, and trumpet their green credentials by taxing diesels out of city centres, and from there it's only a short step to ban all fossil-fuel burning vehicles.

This neatly ignores the environmental cost of producing electric vehicles, specifically their batteries, but this is conveniently overlooked by those who's role in life is to tell us all what we should do.

For the private motorist, paying for their driving from their own taxed income the only certainty is that diesel will be taxed or legislated against heavily, because it suits the politicians, both national and local, to do so. Anybody buying privately right now would be very brave (in the "Yes, Prime Minister" sense) to buy diesel.
    I don't think that is the case, the argument soon will be fossil fuel vs electric this game will move quickly and the diesel/petrol debate will become irrelevant. It's not long before the big emissions fines start for new cars and once electric sales pick up then cities will decide they don't want emissive vehicles full stop and the current debate will move on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not if you get a good one. 6 cylinder diesels are far nicer than 4.
    Macan 6 cylinder diesel for me

Great car - performance and economy

Getting my new car delivered a week Monday, Skoda Octavia Estate, 2L diesel. Leasing so residuals don't bother me. Needed enough grunt for towing, so the little petrols and diesels are no good, would have been happy with the 2L petrol, but the diesel was considerably cheaper. Don't live near or visit any major citys, so think I can get through the 3yr lease unaffected

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

I tend to agree re the uncertainty at the moment which is why I’m hanging on to my 2.5 year old petrol Golf for another couple of years.

I would normally be looking to change it in the next 6 months but want to have a better idea of the way forward before I change my car so I can decide which suits me best going forward.

Craftsman
    Just looking to resurrect this thread. Has anyone made the change from diesel to petrol recently?

My PCP is due in the next few months - currently doing around 20k miles per year in and around east and central Scotland and can’t decide whether to renew with a diesel or change to a petrol.

Blog Entries
    Personally, if you're doing 20k miles per annum and they're going to be mainly around Scotland, then I would stick with diesel.

YMMV ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Personally, if you're doing 20k miles per annum and they're going to be mainly around Scotland, then I would stick with diesel.

YMMV ;-)
    Agreed 100%

Up in Scotland doing 20k miles and on a PCP I would go with diesel.

Master
    Whilst diesels are perfectly competent, I've never found one that puts a smile on my face to drive, even the "sports" versions that can do 0-60 in just over 5 seconds lack soul for me. I don't miss the oily nozzles at petrol stations either. Guess that's why the expression is petrolhead and not dieselhead!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Whilst diesels are perfectly competent, I've never found one that puts a smile on my face to drive, even the "sports" versions that can do 0-60 in just over 5 seconds lack soul for me. I don't miss the oily nozzles at petrol stations either. Guess that's why the expression is petrolhead and not dieselhead!
    I feel the same I've had over 30 cars and only 3 have been diesel which were all SUV's as a petrol version is just to thirsty.