closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Post 16 Education problems.

Master

Post 16 Education problems.

It's Sunday night and my Google skills are failing me.
    My 16 year old lad started a college course in September and despite our best advice beforehand that it wasn't suitable, he proceeded to assure us it was.
    Roll forward a couple of months and he has just told us that he isn't happy as the course isn't what he thought it would be.
    The course is in animal management and he wanted something more scientific.
    He has got to the point where he doesn't want to continue, so this week looks like us trying to see if he can find another college that will take him part way through the year or an apprenticeship or a job.
    Has anyone else been in a similar position? And if so how did it work out?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain, my son signed up to a two year plumbing apprenticeship after the first year he got sacked by the company and he just cant find another company to take him on, it’s at the point where they will throw him off the course because he hasn’t got a placement, I spoke to the college to see if he could swap to the full time plumbing course but they said the funds had been allocated to his apprenticeship. I wouldn’t mind but the companies that seem to take apprentices on just use them as cheap labourers (£ 3.90 an hour). I’m sure there are some good ones.

My advice is step in and speak to the college tomorrow, ours has been a pain to deal with but part of my sons problem was his own stupid fault anyway.

Good luck.

Craftsman
    I would ring the course coordinator and ask their advice. They will be clued up on what's available elsewhere in their teaching space, ease of transfer, recognition of prior learning, pathways to a more suitable higher qual, etc. They are used to kids changing their mind. Suggest a cup of coffee and take your son along. The lecturer will tease out of your son what he's really interested in.

Craftsman
    I ended up changing courses / colleges after the first year as didnt enjoy either the college or courses I had picked. As a result I essentilly had to restart my a levels the following year. I did however complete the the first year at the original college so I had AS levels. The courses I enjoyed I was then able to transfer to the second college. Therefore in my first year at the second cllege I sat a mixture of AS and A levels. So whilst I ended up doing three years at college I do atleast have an excessive number of A levels to show for it!

The additional year of college at the time was pretty frustrating but in the grand scheme of life it had very little impact and it def has not held me back now.

Master
    As an update we managed to get him in to a second chance course at a different college, studying a basic IT course but they have already accepted him on to a higher level course in September.
    He's loving it and looks forward to college and wants to do more work than that set each lesson.

Excellent result, well done.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    It's Sunday night and my Google skills are failing me.
    My 16 year old lad started a college course in September and despite our best advice beforehand that it wasn't suitable, he proceeded to assure us it was.
    Roll forward a couple of months and he has just told us that he isn't happy as the course isn't what he thought it would be.
    The course is in animal management and he wanted something more scientific.
    He has got to the point where he doesn't want to continue, so this week looks like us trying to see if he can find another college that will take him part way through the year or an apprenticeship or a job.
    Has anyone else been in a similar position? And if so how did it work out?

I was also disappointed when I entered college in the scientific level of teaching subjects. I left college because of a low level of research initiative. Very often there were even cases when I wrote an essay, which is basically a free expression of my thoughts in writing on a particular topic, I was told that it was written incorrectly and I had to use the services of the company https://edubirdie.com/ rewrite-my-essay, which corrected my essay, edited its structure, argumentation and list of sources used. It seems to me that such a level of cynicism in educational institutions is unacceptable.
    Last edited by bobocat; 27th September 2020 at 14:10.