closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Peacoat recommendations

Master

Peacoat recommendations

I’m sure some guys here have one, I’m looking for some recommendations I’m currently looking at Schott nyc and privatewhite vc. Any brands I should be looking at guys? It’s something of a timeless classic so I’m expecting many winters to come out of one.

Craftsman
    I tried one on in next the other day, it felt heavy and fairly good quality for the price.. less than £100 I think..
    Would have bought it but I have too many coats already!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a Schott 740. It is seriously heavy, the collar comes up nice and high and from memory they are made from the original Melton material. I think they might do a slim fit version. I wear mine with a suit if I’m going to be outside and it looks equally good with a pair of jeans at the weekend.

Have a look at Gloverall

Peacoat recommendations

I’ve owned two American P-coats, USN suppliers: Sterlingwear and Whaling Manufacturing Co. Inc., I found them too heavy and hot for our climate. I’m more comfortable in French P-Coats (Caban or Kabic or something like that) from Dalmard, St. James, ArmorLux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 18th November 2019 at 11:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I have a Schott 740. It is seriously heavy, the collar comes up nice and high and from memory they are made from the original Melton material. I think they might do a slim fit version. I wear mine with a suit if I’m going to be outside and it looks equally good with a pair of jeans at the weekend.

Yeah it’s more of a weekend coat for me the Schott is definitely on the list for a closer look

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Have a look at Gloverall
    I hadn’t heard of them they certainly look the part thank you.

You can still pick up the bombproof USN originals for a reasonable outlay. I've got a 1960s issue which will probably outlast me.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    You can still pick up the bombproof USN originals for a reasonable outlay. I've got a 1960s issue which will probably outlast me.
    Have you a link?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I had a 740 in the standard fit. Warm and hard wearing but wasn't a great fit for me. In hindsight I should have a bought a size or even two smaller. I would be tempted to get one again, especially if I could find a slimmer fit.

I currently have one from Peregrine and have the opposite problem. Fit is very slim and short. It is made from pure wool, but no way as warm as the Schott.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Have a look at Gloverall
    Gloverall all the way. They are THE peacoats.

Billy Reid make the Bond (Daniel Craig) pea coat.

Craftsman
    I have the Gloverall Churchill pea coat it’s great but the best peacoats avalable are from Buzz Rickson and the real McCoy’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    Buzz Rickson and the real McCoy’s.
    Sounds like a 60s popular beat combo. (Sorry!)

Master
    I bought a lovely Jeff Banks one many years ago that I'm currently 'wearing the arse out of'. It's grey. If I could replace it easily, I would.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Id say a vintage issue are the best pea coats. Purely because they are 100% Kersey wool (which has a tighter weave) , these are better at retaining heat and repelling water as per military spec pre 1980 ish. Modern pea coats even the Schott 740USN which I own has a wool mix (80/20 or 70/30) . Alpha do a pea coat also which i hear is good for the money, again not 100% wool, just a blend.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 18th November 2019 at 14:22.

Master
    How about Belstaff. Ive not tried their Peacoat but was looking at their range after originally going to privatewhite

https://www.belstaff.co.uk/search?we...true&q=peacoat