closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New car - confused!!!

Master

New car - confused!!!

I bought my last car eight years ago and it's done me proud. However I feel as if it's on it's last legs and the times come to replace it. I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy something 1-3 years old, milage below 30k with the aim to keep it for a while. I'm looking at putting 10k down and take a loan for the remainder. I've looked at PCP etc and while there're some amazing deals I think the above is best for me.

I have two boys who are growing rapidly, and my wife is Italian and we'd love to do a road trip in the next couple of years. Also, I live in Bristol and they've just announced that they're banning Diesels in the centre, although I'm not sure if this will happen.

So the options are for below 30k

XC60 - 2018
    x5 - 2016
    x3 - 2018 (I'd want the face lift)
    q5 - 2017/18

or save a bit of money, which isn't a bad thing; below 20k

A4 Avant 2016
    3 series estate

I know there's a lot of car experts on here so any advice would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has alternative options they'd be greatly received.

Master
    There are VW, Skoda and Seat (?) versions of the Q5 and A4 which are worth looking at - same base vehicle and cheaper.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Honda CR-V hybrid (new) starts around 30K in the UK.

The first batch of Honda Company Cars are on the market for the wider audience here in Holland. I'm sure it will be the same in the UK. So higher spec cars will be available as well for around 30K. Enough space, bigger inside than the V60 and certainly capable of working faultlessly for 8 years. Overhere we get a 10 yr (!) warranty when buying a Honda.

Menno

EDIT: rapidly growing boys and a 3Series will not work.
    Last edited by thieuster; 17th November 2019 at 20:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    5 series Touring 2018 M Sport 16000 miles circa £23k

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    5 series Touring 2018 M Sport 16000 miles circa £23k
    Although I wouldn’t go for the Msport version, I don’t like the seats so much. But the difference between a 5 series and a 3 is significant, particularly in comfort.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Although I wouldn’t go for the Msport version, I don’t like the seats so much. But the difference between a 5 series and a 3 is significant, particularly in comfort.
    Agreed. 2 customers of ours have the 330d touring and the 530d touring
    I always notice the difference in sound and smoothness when driving away
    The 5 is noticeably better than the 3 series

I ran an A6 Avant S-line black edition and it is a very capacious car and a nice place to sit.
    50+ mpg on a decent run too.

I’d be looking at a Lexus NX300H or RX450H in that sector and price point.

Master
    Q5 boot is terribly small.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Not only comfort, finish and materials are so more upmarket also.

I would look at the Skoda Superb. Equipment level is good and cabin space is great, especially in the back.

New car - confused!!!

Indeed it’s funny how much difference there is between 2 cars from the same maker, which look very much alike yet are so different. The same goes between a C class and an E class: in both cases, 2 very different worlds. I drove both touring versions recently and it was a complete no contest, the 5 touring won hands down.
    It’s better to avoid 19” wheels as they take away a lot of comfort on the sort of A and B roads we have in the country. Better to look at a well spec’d model in SE than a MSport or Luxury. The 2.0D is probably the better choice (it may not be the most exciting but it’s no slouch and is ULEZ compatible.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 17th November 2019 at 20:42.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Living in Bristol will sure fire limit your choices.

THe Mitsubishi hybrids are good for large families, or a petrol 5 series estate? The X2 is a decent vehicle in petrol format too im told.

Master
    Hard to see past these for your needs.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=Petrol&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=Petrol&page=1

Or 2019 pre-reg available for your upper budget

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Agreed. 2 customers of ours have the 330d touring and the 530d touring
    I always notice the difference in sound and smoothness when driving away
    The 5 is noticeably better than the 3 series
    I’ve just gone from a 3 series M-Sport to 530 M-Sport and the gap between the two cars is vast. There’s literally nothing I can moan about. It’s quick, comfy, very well spec’d, has a ton of boot space and pretty much a joy to drive. I’d take an estate out if I was you OP.

Master
    Thanks for advice. I'd not considered a 5 series but it looks really good value if you buy a year or two old.

I've got nothing against Skoda or Seat. To be honest I really like the look of the Kodiaq and Tarraco, a plus being they've got seven seats.

I'd love a year old X5 but it really isn't the sensible option. The 5 series looks great though, does anyone know what it's like to drive in terms of size, I've never driven anything that long.

Volvo Dundee had an advert on Instagram the other day for new XC60, seemed cheap to me so maybe worth a look.

*Just checked: £389 deposit and £389 per month PCP

And there was a crazy deal last week on the S90 for sub-£200pm, link was in the leasing thread
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; 18th November 2019 at 21:59.

Craftsman
    I sell JLR if you fancy an F-Pace/Epace or something from the LR range PM me

I have the 520d M Sport currently - I wouldn't knock the M Sport spec, much better seats and steering wheel, and ride not hampered by the wheels / suspension imho.

Coincidentally, my current lease ends in Feb and I'm considering doing a similar thing - buying a 2-year-old 5-series Touring. This was my first BMW (I previously had a Skoda Superb) but I've been very impressed - even in winter when with winter tyres.

Master
    If you are looking at the X3, just compare it with the current X1 for interior and boot space - they are very close
    but the biggest engine you can get in the X1 is 2 Litre

I would always buy an estate over an SUV. Cheaper, more practical with small kids (they can get in themselves), and better to drive. We have an A6 black edition avant which has been brilliant, but if I had a choice I’d get a 5 series (it’s my wife’s car and she doesn’t like BMW’s for some reason I have yet to understand...).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Volvo V90 estate? Most are diesel but petrol should be available. Much better value imo

Master
    I've been doing a bit more research and I'm thinking of a 530e. As it's not a company car I'm still not sure if it makes financial sense, also I'm concerned how long the batteries will last.

The V90's a good shout, I'll have a look.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I've been doing a bit more research and I'm thinking of a 530e. As it's not a company car I'm still not sure if it makes financial sense, also I'm concerned how long the batteries will last.

One of my clients had a 530e, not sure if they do a touring version. One of the drawbacks is the reduced boot size due to the batteries. I have my eyes on an e-class or 5 series touring. The car wow YouTube videos have quite good comparative reviews on aspects like space and practicality.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Trust me - you really should sit inside a Volvo, the contrast between BMW/Merc is quite substantial

Master
    I wouldn’t discount a VW Passat Estate without having a good look at one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I would always buy an estate over an SUV. Cheaper, more practical with small kids (they can get in themselves), and better to drive. We have an A6 black edition avant which has been brilliant, but if I had a choice I’d get a 5 series (it’s my wife’s car and she doesn’t like BMW’s for some reason I have yet to understand...).
    But oh so very, very dull. Enjoy your boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    But oh so very, very dull. Enjoy your boredom.
    You are a funny little troll. I’m not remotely bored, but I was by the previous 4x4 we had.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I’d be looking at a Lexus NX300H or RX450H in that sector and price point.

I would suggest the RX. My wife has an NX and I am not sure it's big enough for the OPs needs.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    You are a funny little troll. I’m not remotely bored, but I was by the previous 4x4 we had.
    Please share what that was? And be honest.

Promise not to laugh.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at what discounts the pcp give, quite a few with manufacturers + dealers giving decent deposit contributions take the pcp deal then clear it in a few days with a personal loan at 2.9%

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk