closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Panerai model?

Craftsman

Which Panerai model?

I am quite tempted to take the plunge on a pre-owned Panerai, but I am really not too knowledgeable on the different models.

I know I want a 44mm Luminor with a black face. I prefer a second hand on a mechanical watch, and a sandwich dial and a display case back are a bonus, but I don't think they're deal breakers for me.

So I think I have narrowed it down to the PAM111 as it seems to have the right combo and can be found for around my budget (3K or so). There's the occasional PAM001 and PAM005 for a few hundred less.

Is there anything else I should be looking at, or any pointers on which of the above is the best option? TIA.

Master
    Have a look at the 590

Or you may consider 177/176 if you fancy a bit of titanium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Or you may consider 177/176 if you fancy a bit of titanium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree on that one
    Most of my panerais are titanium
    You get the look with a bit more stealth without the weight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still have my 111 which I bought new in 2006 this has (for me , anyway) all the essential “dna “ of a Panerai- sandwich dial, manual wind,lever crown/guard and a display back.
    Also, if needed, servicing pretty straightforward unlike some of the later and more complex pieces.
    Have fun looking- they wear nicely with the downturned lugs too.

Craftsman

Simple

When it comes to Panerai I always feel that simplicity is the key and the defining look. £3-4K is the sweet spot and personally is probably the correct price for them. You can spend thousands extra for complications or in fashion coloured dials but the basic base models have everything that Panerai is essentially about.

Craftsman
    Thank you all very much for the information. The other models mentioned are a little over my budget unfortunately. The 111 seems to be the front runner in my price range, a few full sets can be had for around 3.3K.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    The hunt is always fun! Out of interest; when you refer to the lugs, do they vary between the various 44mm Luminor models?

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher
    You can spend thousands extra for complications
    And they'd be wasted on me. The simplicity and relatively standard movement would be a plus for me - I just don't think I would like a mechanical watch with no second hand, the sweep is part of the attraction for me - even if a sub-dial can minimise the effect.
    Last edited by Eoin; 18th November 2019 at 01:33.

Master
    If you are ever north of the border give me a shout and you can try on a few models, and IIRC it is my turn to buy the coffee.
    Rob

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    If you are ever north of the border give me a shout and you can try on a few models, and IIRC it is my turn to buy the coffee.
    Rob

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Top man, Rob - thanks! Actually there later this week as it happens

Master
    I'd try and hunt out an 8 day movement, such as the 590 Dr.F mentions, but then again I'm a sucker for an 8 day manual movement!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I still have my 111 which I bought new in 2006 this has (for me , anyway) all the essential “dna “ of a Panerai- sandwich dial, manual wind,lever crown/guard and a display back.
    Also, if needed, servicing pretty straightforward unlike some of the later and more complex pieces.
    I also have a 111 and bought in 07 or 08 and 100% agree with everything GOAT says. However after a Luminor you will need a Radiomir to complete the full Panerai "dna" experience....

Journeyman

Which Panerai model?

Congratulations on your choice for a Panerai. I think they are just great. I own a 112 and have owned a 111. For me personally the 112 was an easy winner when I held them both in my hands, but you can’t go wrong with either of them. For me a Panerai should be as basic as possible (handwound, No Date!, no x days on the dial, no power reserve on the dial).

You might want to consider the Luminor 1950 case, which, in my opinion, is a little sexier than a classic Luminor case. Furthermore you should pay attention when considering newer (Due) models. They are beautiful, but,........their water resistance tends to be a just 3 atm....
    Last edited by Windhund; 18th November 2019 at 12:07.

Journeyman
    Sounds like a 111 or a 177 for you (make sure you get the right year as not all are sandwich dial) - they’re a classic ‘intro’ watch to Panerai due to their simplicity and perceived alignment with Panerai’s heritage. Plus they’re awesome - it just depends on how shiny / heavy you like your watches as to which model to go for :) I went the titanium route and picked up a 177 as I prefer a more brushed / matte finish but either model are great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To answer a question from above I think all 44mm Luminors wear the same- that is, comfier than they look!

Master
    Eoin

the 510 is the modern day version of the 111, slight case redesign and different movement but basically looks like the same watch, might be easier track down.

111 is a great first pam,I also had the 024 which was great, and a little different.

Craftsman
    Thank you all (again!) so much for taking the time to reply, it's greatly appreciated. Unfortunately most of the alternatives mentioned are out of budget, but it sounds like the 111 seems like a safe enough choice, based on the feedback so far. As noted, there are variations in that model that I've spotted (display/solid caseback, sandwich/painted dial, geneva stripes/panerai decorations on the movement) that I shall look out for.

Craftsman
    Quick update - my PAM 111 arrived today; full set and in pretty good condition. I am glad I got the sandwich dial - I didn't think it'd be a big deal either way, but I think it adds a nice depth. Thanks again for the help!

Glad you got sorted... more will follow now; Pams are gregarious!

Their sandwich dials are awesome; the purists will hate the idea but would love to see a sandwiched Cali dial...

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Quick update - my PAM 111 arrived today; full set and in pretty good condition. I am glad I got the sandwich dial - I didn't think it'd be a big deal either way, but I think it adds a nice depth. Thanks again for the help!
    Certainly one of the best, big, simple and classy. Enjoy your watch.