closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tropic Straps

Tropic Straps

Quick one.... who make the best Tropic Straps?

Cheers

Tropic!

Apprentice
    Link?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

There are a lot of Tropic "style" straps out there. Bit of a mine field. Tropic have been restarted by the Synchron Group (Doxa, Aquadive, ISOfrane) www.Tropicstrap.com. only offering 20mm at the moment. I've not seen one, nor tried one, but the re-issue ISOfrane straps aren't bad. At $93 or so these straps are at the high end! Going to have to be special.
    This chap has done a pretty extensive review of a bunch of the other "Tropic" types.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f222/t...o-4911545.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sc-texas View Post
    Link?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
    https://www.ebay.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    There are a lot of Tropic "style" straps out there. Bit of a mine field. Tropic have been restarted by the Synchron Group (Doxa, Aquadive, ISOfrane) www.Tropicstrap.com. only offering 20mm at the moment. I've not seen one, nor tried one, but the re-issue ISOfrane straps aren't bad. At $93 or so these straps are at the high end! Going to have to be special.
    This chap has done a pretty extensive review of a bunch of the other "Tropic" types.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f222/t...o-4911545.html
    For that sort of money, I'd recommend picking up an original one.

Craftsman
    Synchron group are notoriously horrible in everything they do.

You can get originals in good condition for way less than that and sometimes they come with a watch.

Original is best, as it is with Eulit Perlon

I think you have to be careful with original Tropic straps as their strength can deteriorate significantly over time. I'd be very hesitant to wear an expensive vintage diver on a vintage Tropic, and if it's a modern diver then a vintage Tropic doesn't make sense anyway.

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 17th November 2019 at 11:45.

I'v had only 2 types of modern tropic straps - cousinsuk and Oris. Cousins one was unwearable soft POS, Oris on the other hand - perfect. Too bad their RRP is around 150€.

I have just ordered this WatchGecko Tropic to try on my P01.

https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-t...p-by-zuludiver

Whilst not having the authentic taper of the original design, the strap is a Bonneto rubber, has garnered mainly positive reviews and is a little shorter than the majority of copies out there, particularly in the 20mm format.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    I think you have to be careful with original Tropic straps as their strength can deteriorate significantly over time. I'd be very hesitant to wear an expensive vintage diver on a vintage Tropic, and if it's a modern diver then a vintage Tropic doesn't make sense anyway.

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk
    Not my experience at all! I've had one that was unusable (it was a 12mm Tropic Star that came on a ladies dive watch).

If you buy one and use it for 40+ years, it will deteriorate (like pretty much any other strap). If you buy unused, it should be in pretty much the same condition as when it was manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Not my experience at all! I've had one that was unusable (it was a 12mm Tropic Star that came on a ladies dive watch).

If you buy one and use it for 40+ years, it will deteriorate (like pretty much any other strap). If you buy unused, it should be in pretty much the same condition as when it was manufactured.
    That’s interesting as my only personal experience is also with a ladies one. It hadn’t been worn much at all but the end snapped off the first time it was passed through the buckle and pulled tight. I think I’ve also read some stories about problems, but I’d have to go and check to be sure.

I guess how well it ages is dependent on the material used and the way it was stored. Most rubbers perish over time even if not used. Exposure to UV light and ozone in the atmosphere being the biggest accelerators. I think if I bought one I’d give it a bit of a physical test before putting it on something to wear.

Edit to add a picture of the Tropic that failed. The Sinn was in such good condition that I doubt the strap had been used much at all, and it didn’t show any wear in particular on the holes.

Last edited by HookedSeven; 17th November 2019 at 12:37.

That’s interesting as my only personal experience is also with a ladies one. It hadn’t been worn much at all but the end snapped off the first time it was passed through the buckle and pulled tight. I think I’ve also read some stories about problems, but I’d have to go and check to be sure.

I guess how well it ages is dependent on the material used and the way it was stored. Most rubbers perish over time even if not used. Exposure to UV light and ozone in the atmosphere being the biggest accelerators. I think if I bought one I’d give it a bit of a physical test before putting it on something to wear.

Edit to add a picture of the Tropic that failed. The Sinn was in such good condition that I doubt the strap had been used much at all, and it didn’t show any wear in particular on the holes.

Cool little watch! That strap does look like it’s had a lot of use.

I managed to source a replacement for hers (it’s actually 14mm). I suspect it came with the Tropic Star originally, as the one it came with had a nice little Heuer buckle.

I’ve got 30+ of these now, all lightly used or not at all. None of them show any signs of degradation.

Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    Synchron group are notoriously horrible in everything they do.

You can get originals in good condition for way less than that and sometimes they come with a watch.
    That is an unfortunate and unfair generalisation
    Their Isofranes are the best even if costly. Nothing horrible about those.
    Haven’t tried their tropic but have heard they are the best reproduction even if again expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That is an unfortunate and unfair generalisation
    Their Isofranes are the best even if costly. Nothing horrible about those.
    Haven’t tried their tropic but have heard they are the best reproduction even if again expensive.
    It sounded a bit more like a dig at the company than the product, but I’ve not seen anything bad mentioned about Synchron before so I’m left wondering too.

@ollipekka can you add some meat to the bone ? What is horrible about what they do (or what they produce) ?

Master

Bought a tropic a couple of weeks ago from Watchgecko-seems decent
    £28

It sounded a bit more like a dig at the company than the product, but I’ve not seen anything bad mentioned about Synchron before so I’m left wondering too.

@ollipekka can you add some meat to the bone ? What is horrible about what they do (or what they produce) ?
    Doxa is controversial and not worth rehashing.
    There was a recent thread on Doxa.
    I like their Aquadive watches and some of the Doxas as well as ISOfranes.

Craftsman
    I've got one of their Isofranes. I can tell it's quality, and I've got no complaints, but it turns out I don't really like huge, thick chunky rubber straps, so it was a bit of a waste of money really. Smells good though!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Doxa is controversial and not worth rehashing.
    There was a recent thread on Doxa.
    I like their Aquadive watches and some of the Doxas as well as ISOfranes.
    So I found a lot already, some here and a lot on WUS. Interesting to know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tropic-Styl...5Y15C0CYNPBG4P

I bought the one from watch gecko but returned it after getting the Amazon one. Way cheaper and quality is fine.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    I bought the one from watch gecko but returned it after getting the Amazon one. Way cheaper and quality is fine.
    How is the length?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    How is the length?
    If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) these are identical to the Cousins version. They aren't very long, so if you have anything over 7" wrist I'd say forget it. Having said that I've had one for years and quality is very good - even more so at less than 3 quid + postage. Bit of a lint magnet at first but wash with soap and a bit of wear and it's fine.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rolex-tropic-generic

My personal favourite Tropic is the Uncle Seiko - good length on these.

https://www.uncleseiko.co.uk/store/p...ous_Sizes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) these are identical to the Cousins version. They aren't very long, so if you have anything over 7" wrist I'd say forget it. Having said that I've had one for years and quality is very good - even more so at less than 3 quid + postage. Bit of a lint magnet at first but wash with soap and a bit of wear and it's fine.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rolex-tropic-generic

My personal favourite Tropic is the Uncle Seiko - good length on these.

https://www.uncleseiko.co.uk/store/p...ous_Sizes.html
    Ah, that's why I was asking. I'm a touch over 7.25" so that won't be for me. Thank you for saving me some money.

I don't like the buckle on the uncle Seiko so might try one from here first - https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-t...el-description

Just need to measure some existing straps first when I get home.

Got the topic strap from WatchGecko. Not fully made up on the style, unsure if it's for me, but the most comfy rubber strap I've ever had. Really impressed.

Craftsman
    Got the topic strap from WatchGecko. Not fully made up on the style, unsure if it's for me, but the most comfy rubber strap I've ever had. Really impressed.
    Hello Wileeeeeey - that looks like a nice strap. Is it made of silicone? What is it about the strap that gives you doubts, if I may ask?

I have this strap, bought it for my P01 but have since popped it on my BB58.

It is vulcanised rubber with a strong vanilla scent, the only downside for me is it lacks the taper of the vintage design.

Couple of pics

It takes the Tudor Deployant as well, bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Hello Wileeeeeey - that looks like a nice strap. Is it made of silicone? What is it about the strap that gives you doubts, if I may ask?
    Hey, exact strap linked below. Really great strap just not sure if I like the look of it personally. I'll try it on a different watch as it might just be the one I have it on which doesn't suit. Just preference. For £28 you can't go wrong.

https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-t...p-by-zuludiver

I've tried a few and it's crazy that Cousins sell their tropic strap for a few quid. It's difficult to find the difference in quality between their Tropic and several other brands I've tried, and I've compared them side by side!

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I've tried a few and it's crazy that Cousins sell their tropic strap for a few quid. It's difficult to find the difference in quality between their Tropic and several other brands I've tried, and I've compared them side by side!
    I went with the one from WatchGecko purely as some of the reviews mentioned it being too long so I knew it would fit my wrist and the fancy buckle. I have a Cousins isofrane strap and hate it compared to the real thing so avoided them this time.

I went with the one from WatchGecko purely as some of the reviews mentioned it being too long so I knew it would fit my wrist and the fancy buckle. I have a Cousins isofrane strap and hate it compared to the real thing so avoided them this time.
    The Cousins Isofrane styled straps are cheap but they are cheaply made. They are just not flexible enough to be comfortable.

I don't like the buckle on the uncle Seiko so might try one from here first - https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-t...el-description
    Fair enough. The Zuludiver buckle is a work of art. Buckle aside, for me, the US Tropic has a proper profile, proper taper and proper keeper. The WG is a good try, but really a Tropic stylee (like the Cousins).
    Last edited by Geralt; 30th November 2019 at 14:42.

An actual Swiss tropic is nothing like the copies made now and sold by Watchgecko and the likes. The new ones are just rubber straps with the holes and familiar pattern on them. The original was thinner, shinier, softer and just much better.

Bumping an old topic. Was considering a tropic strap for my Halios watch and found this thread.

Someone on WUS posted comparison pictures between watch gecko/bonetto and Uncle Seiko. May be of interest to others as well.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/un...topics/4567389

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been considering a tropic strap and seem to be restricted to Uncle Seiko as I require 19mm.
    Does anyone know if there are other options available or if a 20mm tropic for maybe Watchgecko will fit between 19mm being rubber.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have been considering a tropic strap and seem to be restricted to Uncle Seiko as I require 19mm.
    Does anyone know if there are other options available or if a 20mm tropic for maybe Watchgecko will fit between 19mm being rubber.
    Honestly I would stick with Uncle Seiko in 19mm if that is the size you need. I have been using them exclusively for some time now and I love them. They also make the 19mm in the Waffle and the tire tread and chocolate bar if you want to mix it up a bit.

Banned

Here’s my uncle seiko tropic 19mm strap on my SLA033 , much nicer and more comfortable than the original seiko stock strap this comes on.

Bump as am late to the party lol.

For years I've not been a fan of how Tropic style straps looked on online photos but having recently bought a Baltic Aquascaphe that came with one, I am a forever convert. Previously I'd bought a bunch of Barton Bands Silicone Elite straps for my watches and been happy but slightly annoyed at how much dust silicone straps collect as I've owned ZuluDiver and Bonetto rubber straps before that were either vulcanised or FKM rubber and the Vanilla scent... Oh man!

Anyway, the Baltic Tropic strap is not silicone but a very soft pliable rubber, it appears to be vulcanised rubber in fact and is lightly fragranced, though not as strong as Bonetto Italian rubber ones are. The taper from 20mm to 16mm looks so cool in the flesh and on the watch and I have spent the entire day today looking for where to buy another as I want one in dark military green and came across the Aquadive store selling the original Tropic ones with the new updated buckle that allows both strap parts to sit flat against each other. Not cheap however. Where Baltic are asking for £35 for theor Tropic, Aquadive are asking for £100 delivered.

The store does say the rubber material is proprietary however and the new buckle is unique to them too. I have placed an order for the NATO green colour in 20mm so will see what it's like compared to the Baltic. It's such a shame as it's a huge cost for a strap but it is the best Tropic strap on the market so I guess that's to be expected.

I won't be bothering with silicone straps again as they just attract too much dust.

I did a bit of research on WUS. There is a thread about tropic straps there that led me to ordering two from here: https://www.josephbonnie.com/en/prod...-tropic-black/

They seem to be well reviewed and importantly for me are a bit shorter than other versions of the tropic straps I’ve seen from other sellers.

Also they can apparently accept fat spring bars too for Seiko watches.

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    I did a bit of research on WUS. There is a thread about tropic straps there that led me to ordering two from here: https://www.josephbonnie.com/en/prod...-tropic-black/

They seem to be well reviewed and importantly for me are a bit shorter than other versions of the tropic straps I’ve seen from other sellers.

That looks excellent and it's vulcanised rubber, thanks!

How are you finding the tropic strap from Joesph Bonnie as I am also keen on purchasing one?

Tropic Straps

I got mine from WatchGecko. Read somewhere they are made by Bonetto and I love those straps. I also needed a strap width of 20mm tapering to 18mm and Borealis had the specs messed up (I mailed but got a confusing reply)

Anyway the watchgecko strap is great. Does not attract lint, very comfortable.

I did like the Watchgecko one as have bought so many FKM/vulcanised straps from them over the years but their Tropic one has no 20mm to 16mm taper like a proper tropic strap should as it looks better and is more comfortable as well!

How are you finding the tropic strap from Joesph Bonnie as I am also keen on purchasing one?
    I ended up buying one from them and cancelling my official tropic one as they were on backorder. Should be here in a few days will update here with pics and thoughts compared to the excellent Baltic Tropic strap I currently have.

Not received them yet. Should have them by the end of the week then will post some thoughts here.

Not received them yet. Should have them by the end of the week then will post some thoughts here.

I just contacted them as my order has not arrived yet either and noticed in the account orders area it says "processing". I sent them a message and they said there was a delay and it will be departing their offices today. So I guess I can expect mine to arrive maybe this weekend as express shipping has arrived from France before in under 24hrs for me.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiekhan View Post
    I just contacted them as my order has not arrived yet either and noticed in the account orders area it says "processing". I sent them a message and they said there was a delay and it will be departing their offices today. So I guess I can expect mine to arrive maybe this weekend as express shipping has arrived from France before in under 24hrs for me.
    Just received them. First impressions are great! I got the blue and black at 20mm. Very pliable and no vanilla scent.

Damn so just me with the delay then!

Any pics?

Damn so just me with the delay then!

Any pics?
    FYI. I ordered last Monday

Nice thanks! 3 keepers too which is cool,

Nice thanks! 3 keepers too which is cool,
    Think the idea is to choose to keep one thick or two thin keepers. Here is a pic of the blue one fitted for now.

That looks fantastic thanks!

Can't wait for mine to arrive just had the shipping email now.