closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boiler pressure too high

Boiler pressure too high

Three year old WB Greenstar boiler. Annual service on Tuesday just gone. All good, everything working.

Last night I noticed that the pressure gauge was up to 3+ and in the red zone. Obviously not good.

I left it overnight and checked this morning when completely cold. Still 3psi. Definitely not good. I’ve bled a couple of radiators and the pressure got down to a respectable 1psi, but then the needle steadily rises to 2 and seems to stay there.

I’ve asked the boiler company to come back out but they say can’t until 27th.

A quick google tells me the filler pipe may have been left open but I’m not an engineer and don’t know where this is to check.

The boiler still works on both heating and hot water, and there is no dripping from the overflow pipe.

Anyone got any thoughts? Ta in advance

We have a Worcester CD32 green star, it has a built-in filling loop with a small white hex plastic knob which you can see when looking from underneath the boiler.

It sounds as if the engineer opened the filler to set the pressure, and has not closed it fully.

Its easy enough to find, I will check now for an online pic of the filler valve.
    Last edited by W124; 16th November 2019 at 13:01.

Bleed off water from the accumulator for the CH circuit. The service engineer will have added mains water, prob when cold.

The fact that the boiler is refilling itself is a concern

This is the filling knob, and the unlock key on the right.

Water regs state that the key should be removed after filling, but they are usually left in place to avoid losing the key for when you next need it !
    Last edited by W124; 16th November 2019 at 13:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Plate heat x passing, x-vessel flat or fill loop passing.

Grab a container and drain some water out of a radiator until the gauge reads 1.5b in the boiler.

No availability till the 27th sounds like BS to me, your system is currently running and 3 bar whereas it should only be 1.5 bar.
    Last edited by CaptainSlow; 16th November 2019 at 13:05.

The filling loop on my WB boiler looks a bit different to the one shown above. It's the flexible pipe in the photo with a quarter turn tap at either end. Both have to be open to allow water into the boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Plate heat x passing, x-vessel flat or fill loop passing.

Grab a container and drain some water out of a radiator until the gauge reads 1.5b in the boiler.

No availability till the 27th sounds like BS to me, your system is currently running and 3 bar whereas it should only be 1.5 bar.
    This, or the engineer just over pressurised whilst carrying out the service.

Thanks all. The pressure has remained steady at 2psi and they’re coming out on Monday now

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Thanks all. The pressure has remained steady at 2psi and they’re coming out on Monday now
    Hopefully it's reading 2 bar, not 2 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Hopefully it's reading 2 bar, not 2 psi.
    Ah, yes. 2 psi would be like a fart in a balloon