closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Brazil / Argentina trip

Brazil / Argentina trip

Looking at next years holiday options and have some free flights to take. During looking today I’ve noticed Virgin will be flying to São Paulo from next year and we can get a great flight in Premium using points.

A friend visited Rio, Iguazú falls and Buenes Aeries a few years back and raved about it. It’s an area my wife and I have always fancied albeit out of our comfort zone..!

Any tips? We’d look at flying into/out of São Paulo and taking internal flights are not an issue although don’t really want to have to take too many.

Ideally we’d like to visit the places my mate did but any other ideas? Appreciate it’s places to be very careful in but we accept that.

We could fly direct to other places but we just want to use our points for this so São Paulo really is the only to/from option for starters.
    Last edited by senwar; 15th November 2019 at 22:05.

Not too sure I can give you much advice but I went to Iguazu and it's definitely worth it. You can go via either (or both) Brazil or Argentina for two completely different experiences.

I’d be tempted to pop into Trailfinders or similar and have them tailor an itinerary based on what you might like .

Not a lot to see in SP to be honest, however if you find yourselves there for a day or two the Butantan Institute is fascinating but not for those with ophiophobia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instituto_Butantan

Batman Alley is pretty cool, and easy to lose a couple of hours in. The area around has numerous pleasant bars and cafes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beco_do_Batman

It's a great kicking off spot though, with short flights to Rio, Iguazu, Montevideo and BA.

Iguazu is just fantastic, you need a full day on the Argentine side and at least half a day on the Brazilian side.

I love Montevideo, worth a couple of days in my book. It's very chilled compared to Buenos Aires and you can get there directly from BA on the Buquebus ferry across the River Plate. One of my favourite little museums on the planet is in Montevideo, the Andes 1972 Museum which tells a story of teamwork and survival. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andes_Museum_1972

Rio is fabulous and vibrant but do watch your pockets and be discreet. It's nice to unwind and watch the world go by over a caipirinha or three in a beach cafe on Copacabana.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproughton View Post
    Not too sure I can give you much advice but I went to Iguazu and it's definitely worth it. You can go via either (or both) Brazil or Argentina for two completely different experiences.
    Thanks - yes my friend said the same that its worth visiting from both sides

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I’d be tempted to pop into Trailfinders or similar and have them tailor an itinerary based on what you might like .
    Not thought of that, good idea from an itinerary point of view, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Not a lot to see in SP to be honest, however if you find yourselves there for a day or two the Butantan Institute is fascinating but not for those with ophiophobia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instituto_Butantan

Batman Alley is pretty cool, and easy to lose a couple of hours in. The area around has numerous pleasant bars and cafes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beco_do_Batman

It's a great kicking off spot though, with short flights to Rio, Iguazu, Montevideo and BA.

Iguazu is just fantastic, you need a full day on the Argentine side and at least half a day on the Brazilian side.

I love Montevideo, worth a couple of days in my book. It's very chilled compared to Buenos Aires and you can get there directly from BA on the Buquebus ferry across the River Plate. One of my favourite little museums on the planet is in Montevideo, the Andes 1972 Museum which tells a story of teamwork and survival. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andes_Museum_1972

Rio is fabulous and vibrant but do watch your pockets and be discreet. It's nice to unwind and watch the world go by over a caipirinha or three in a beach cafe on Copacabana.
    Thanks Mr Curta - some great info there - especially re: Montevideo which I hadn't thought of. The museum would be very interesting for me too. Appreciate this!

I've not used them personally (tending to book everything independently), but my parents swear by Llama Travel for their Latin America trips:

https://www.llamatravel.com/destinat...days#/holidays

I've not used them personally (tending to book everything independently), but my parents swear by Llama Travel for their Latin America trips:

https://www.llamatravel.com/destinat...days#/holidays
    Thanks - I do book independently myself but these will certainly give me ideas and potential itineraries.

Master
    Worth considering as well.

Pantanal. A swamp the size of France. You can stay on a farm. Amazing wildlife.

Salvador. Colonial. Food. Music. Beaches.

You should go to morro de sao paulo in Bahia. We go every year. My quid is from Bahia and has been going ever since she was in her teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    SP is nothing special.

Rio is an awesome city but you do need to be careful. Plenty to see and do though.

Argentina is in my opinion, one of my favourite countries in the world. BA is almost like a European capital city with all the benefits of SA.

I'd concentrate on Argentina, throw in a stop in the stunning Bariloche (regardless of season) and try and get south to Patagonia. Simply stunning.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Brazil / Argentina trip

I love Montevideo.
    First World Cup, so there’s the stadium and museum to visit. Also, there’s a battle of the River Plate museum. Some interesting Art Deco quarters.

I liked Uruguay and Montevideo. Not heaving with tourists, laid back, safe and they know how to barbecue big slabs of beef rib by a roaring fire. They enjoy their black pudding and mate. Lot’s of people walking around with flasks of mate, constantly sucking on their straws.

Just along the coast is Colonia del Sacramento. Great sunset views of BA across the River Plate. Argentinians pop over on the ferry from BA to empty the cash points of stable currency.

Wildlife - Rheas, armadillos.

Brazil, Argentina, South America are huge so be realistic about what you can achieve in the time you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 16th November 2019 at 11:05.

I travelled around Chile, Argentina and Brazil on my honeymoon and we used a company called Journey Latin America who were very good if you wanted some more advice. Patagonia was breathtaking in parts.

Thanks for the tips to date all. Some great info. Forgot about the first world cup in Uruguay as well - that would be a great thing to see!

I'm already debating changing my plans and scrapping the free flights idea and just booking direct to Rio back from Buenos Aires (or vice versa) with a couple of trips in between. This may be a better option than flying in to Sao Paulo given what we'd like to do and see even though SP seems a good hub.

The ignorant part of me probably just didn't realise just how much you can do/visit/etc in South America so may need to reign plans in slightly, focus on a few things but look at it as a further future destination too. My mate and I have always wanted to do Machu Picchu but my mrs isn't bothered so at least I'd have a need to go back over that way.

Re: the point about BA being like a major European city - that is exactly the description my mate gave it too!

Thanks again for the hints tips and pointers to travel companies as well

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Worth considering as well.

Pantanal. A swamp the size of France. You can stay on a farm. Amazing wildlife.

Salvador. Colonial. Food. Music. Beaches.
    We were in the Pantanal last year; can't recommend highly enough if you are into flora/fauna/ecotourism. We stayed in Bonito as a base. It is a long way from major cities road networks, so flying is best way to get there.

Also, highly recommend a trip on the Serra Verde train out of Curitiba through the Atlantic rain forest - absolutely stunning scenery.

If you visit Foz do Iguaçu then the best place to stay is the hotel actually on the falls (Brazil side)