closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP

Craftsman

AP

Just had a mail from my local dealer to say they have an AP REF. #26480TI.OO.A027CA.01 for me to look at and it’s mine if I want. It looks stunning in the video I was sent however I can’t get anything off list for this model and knowing the price just went up a few weeks ago it annoys me. If I do buy it then it’s my last and easily my biggest purchase and it worries me knowing that such amount coming out my bank account. Anyone have this model that can offer opinions and views for me to look at before Sunday when I will go have a look. Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Found this review online hope it helps. It looks a bang up to date - AP is up there at the top in terms of quality - but keep a few £K to oneside for servicing (true of any of the trilogy).

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...42-mm-offshore

Sometimes less is more. But if you would be too afraid to wear it due to cost and being Ti (a soft metal) it may just sit in the watch box. However - I have one high value Patek that I love to wear. I take a fatalistic approach to wearing it.

guess what I am saying it - decide if you will wear it. If not - I suggest you don’t buy it. You could buy with a personal loan or something ?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 15th November 2019 at 19:53.

Craftsman
    Thanks i will have a look shortly. I tried on an Elephant and another which i liked but wanted to wait to see this and to be honest if i buy an AP then its likely to be this one. Servicing im ok with. Just in my head about putting out such a large sum on a watch but know if i buy then i would love it.

Master
    I prefer the 44mm versions, but plenty do not :)

Fully agree with the previous comment, if you are going to wear it go for it. If not I do not see this being a good one to sit in the safe.

A few others have just got this model btw such as the following.
    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=707326

Craftsman
    I will defo wear it in rotation and have other titanium watches so im ok with that part and im really kind to my watches and baby them- well i havent knocked any of them yet. I think its more stage fright at the thought of such a large sum coming out the bank for a luxury item.lol. At the moment im going to view it and wont make my mind up either way until i view it and see how much the thought of £26k annoys me. Thanks for posting the reviews. I dont sell watches but what are the residuals like after say a year or so on a typical AP

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    I will defo wear it in rotation and have other titanium watches so im ok with that part and im really kind to my watches and baby them- well i havent knocked any of them yet. I think its more stage fright at the thought of such a large sum coming out the bank for a luxury item.lol. At the moment im going to view it and wont make my mind up either way until i view it and see how much the thought of £26k annoys me. Thanks for posting the reviews. I dont sell watches but what are the residuals like after say a year or so on a typical AP
    Residuals are dependent upon which model. Things like 15202 and ceramic perpetuals do very well, 15500 seems to be doing well also. So basically anything Royal Oak is good. Offshores are more a mixed bag. Some LE’s like Montoya, Schumacher have done well but others not so much.
    Too early to tell on the one you are looking I would say. Would not think you would loose too much (relatively) in a year if you changed your view on it. Main issue is there is not much market liquidity at this price level and model so often you end up having to sell to a grey dealer and they want their margin.....

Master
    Also be aware that there bezels do scratch up unless you are super careful and even then it can happens (I had a steel 42 before so I know !). The issue impacts more than RO’s because the offshores (even this one) are thicker.
    For some people this is ok for others not. For me I was ok up to a point. Hence why I now prefer the 44 with ceramic bezels.

While i get folk worry about residuals, if your about to dump 26k on a watch I think your main concern should be how it looks and feels in the flesh. (And consider that money gone forever)

If you have even the smallest doubt walk away, because you’ll loose 10k walking out the door.

More useful as a post,
    The f-piguet movement used by AP is great in my experience and the dial layout is much nicer than the typical offshore (7750 style arrangement), granted date at 4 is a bit fugly sometimes and it doesn’t hack.
    And of the APs i’ve owned dare I say the most accurate :O

Personal opinion on the watch though, whileI like the evolution, it’s also a bit meh imho
    The chapter ring is too thick so it makes the sub dials look cramped, I photoshopped it with a 1mm wider dial, fractionally longer markers and the proportions worked a bit better with less clutter in the space between the subdials and dial edge. (And the small movement in a big case was less noticeable)
    Plus the over size pushers look alot better on the 44mm

Plus points are the overal dial layout and the slimer case, the offshore is a big beast especially with thick sandwiched gasket, so 2mm less height is ideal.

Craftsman

Hit.

Like a few members have said, you walk out the AD door, you have lost 10k. If you are in the market for the kind of outlay a Audemars etc require, then any immediate loss on residual should not be any concern and just enjoy the watch. If you sell it quicker than expected, take the residual hit and move on, unfortunately that is the market when it comes to most luxury watches.

Craftsman
    I slept on this last night and woke up with the cost/money coming out the bank annoying me so have decided to not proceed with the purchase. The remarks about the bezel scratches got to me as well as i just need to keep my watches pristine and a slight mark would have me sending it for a polish. There are loads of other watches i could enjoy more i think.

Apprentice
    I have a 26331 and despite light wear it has some marks on it. If you are going to worry about wearing it you have done the right thing IMO.

That said, I don't think you lose 10k out the door at all. Even if you sold to a grey dealer immediately they are not going to take that much out of you. I recon you could wear this for a few months and so long as you don't ding it up sell it privately for a 3-5k loss max. Who knows the future though...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Master
    I slept on this last night and woke up with the cost/money coming out the bank annoying me so have decided to not proceed with the purchase. The remarks about the bezel scratches got to me as well as i just need to keep my watches pristine and a slight mark would have me sending it for a polish. There are loads of other watches i could enjoy more i think.
    A very wise decision IMO. I wasn't aware of this model until I clicked on the link above. I'm not a fan of the ROO at the best of times but I don't like any element of this whatsoever, hate the hands, think they'd be very difficult to read at a glance, a right mess of watch.

I love AP but in my view, less is more with the RO line.

Journeyman
    Not my cup of tea but apparently people love this model