closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad Chrono24 tale

Sad Chrono24 tale

I recently used Chrono24 for the first time to sell a black OP39 and my naiveness cost me - here’s what happened.

I bought the watch a couple of months ago after being on a waitlist for a while. Not more than 2 weeks later I was offered a 114060 from another AD and obvious picked that up. By this time I’ve not worn the OP yet, so I put it on Chrono24 at list price + assumed commission looking to move it on (still the cheapest on the website..)

About a month went by and there were a few silly offers that got nowhere. Then I got a message from this guy asking for a face to face transaction at list price, and continue the conversation via WhatsApp, in which I agreed to (already a mistake made here) and bought a train ticket to London the next day.

The next morning, the person said to me that he just got offer the watch from an AD (with a picture of the email conversation with them but no date, looking back I’ve already been fooled there). So I thought okay fair enough, no sale then and unlucky for me to have wasted money on the train ticket. He then started to ask for a discount. At the time I thought, well if he enjoys the watch and I can move this on quickly then I guess I will go for it. So we agreed on a £200 discount (my second mistake here). I met with the guy, everything went smoothly, happy days.

Except not… Yesterday he sent me another message asking if I know anyone who’s interested to buy the watch from him because he’s just bought an Explorer I. Well I’m not a watch dealer so no. And the story really goes downhill from here. He then started saying that Chrono24 is sending him emails to ask if he’s bought the watch, and that he’s ‘worried’ that he will get blacklisted from the website. I realised immediately how much I’ve screwed up for agreeing to not go through Chrono24 to start with (essentially saved him money and put myself in a vulnerable position).

He then ‘kindly’ suggested that I will either have to pay the commission, or to take back the watch at the price I sold him at. He then insisted that the watch is still unworn despite literally wearing it out on the day I sold it to him, and it’s somehow for my benefit to take is back and sell it as new at a higher price or something. I politely refused and went onto Chrono24 and paid the €299 commission the next minute.

A few take-aways from this terrible experience.

1. I should never have agreed to not go through Chrono24 - don’t know what I was thinking there.
    2. Obvious I can’t use the SC here yet, despite having registered over a year ago I’ve only started to get involved in the past few months. But in the future I would much rather sell a watch here to other members.
    3. Some people can just spit out lies:/

Apologies for the rather long post, thought I’d share my naiveness/stupidity so that it won’t happen to anyone else here:)

Any similar experiences please share.

Best Wishes,

Tommy

Cheers for sharing that Tommy, definitely a few lessons learned.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sorry you had that experience and thanks for sharing. I’ve had my fair share of time wasters and “buyers remorse” with threats of this that and the other if I don’t take the watch back.

In this day an age you can’t trust anyone to do the right thing, not least with high value jewellery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Good call posting this, let's all learn and be a bit more cautious.

Here's something from me, not on Chrono24, not a huge amount, but still a lesson.

I had an incident just before summer on a Dutch auction site, from a guy in the Netherlands.
    I bought a metal mod Casio G-Shock from a guy with good feedback score.
    When it was time to pay, through the site, I found out that I couldn't (it was set up for people from the Netherlands, and there was no way for me to pay within their system).

So I made a regular bank transfer to the guy and he removed the auction.
    Sent the piece, with tracking.

It never showed up.
    I looked at the tracking status, and it always showed up as 'waiting for sender to give item'.
    I called the shipping company, they said that they could only give more information to the sender, not the recipient.
    At this point I was still thinking there was just a IT-mistake or a lost package.

He said that the package had been picked up from his work amongst many other packages, and there must be some problem on their side. I believed him.
    He was going to look into it and get a claim if they lost the package.
    When I asked for an update, he said he was sick at home and the package had been sent from work, using their label system so he couldn't give more info.
    A week later when I asked for an update, the computer at work had crashed that contained all the shipping info! But he had a guy trying to repair it. I thought that it must be some kind of small outfit and they were a bit clueless with IT.

Only when he stopped responding to my messages, did it dawn on me I had been conned. Flat out ignoring any messages, but still I got the read receipts on the system...
    He's still active, selling G-shocks and getting good feedback. I suppose people get an evil itch when there's the opportunity to get away with it.
    I contacted the auction site, but it's just one more complaint ticket in their system, and because we went around them and the auction was taken down, there is no transaction in their system.

I have his name (which is common), multiple guys with this name. His bank account number and the account on that site. No phone number, no email address, no home address, etc. (In all subsequent deals I've always asked for a telephone number, home address, email-address, etc).
    Went to the police, report was filed. Probably nothing will come of it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tell him to go and raffle.
    If he ticks yes then once ch24 notifies you that he's confirmed transaction, cancel it using the sale/transaction never took place option.

Edit - Ah, apologies. Just saw that you paid the commission.

Thanks for posting, I learned a few things there. Best of luck going forward.

Craftsman
    Sorry about your experience.

Thanks for posting. Only recently read some good report on using chrono24 on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm confused. Even if you got in touch initially via c24, it was a private transaction conducted without the involvement of c24. You were under no obligation to take the watch back, nor pay the fees.

I wonder if, had you taken back the watch, it would have been then same watch .....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I wonder if, had you taken back the watch, it would have been then same watch .....
    Fully convinced it wouldn’t of been.

I’m slightly confused by the story, I don’t get why you paid the commission, have I miss read it somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Fully convinced it wouldn’t of been.

I’m slightly confused by the story, I don’t get why you paid the commission, have I miss read it somewhere?
    I’m also confused.

what would the consequences have been if you hadn’t paid?

I’m sorry this happened to you. There’s a lot of sh*ty people about.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I'm confused. Even if you got in touch initially via c24, it was a private transaction conducted without the involvement of c24. You were under no obligation to take the watch back, nor pay the fees.
    I think by listing the watch on Chrono24 I agreed to 'not sell it elsewhere', and in theory I did use Chrono24's service/platform to get to know the buyer.

I left this detail out, to be able to delete the ad on Chrono24 I actually need to prove that the watch is still in my possession, which means a photo of my ID next to the watch that's set to a specific time (given randomly on the website). This is obvious easily achieved should the guy who bought my watch just meet up with me for a few minutes. But he was essentially trying to force me into taking the watch back, or otherwise he would inform chrono24 about the transaction, which will lead to me paying. So my reaction was to just did it myself, rather than having to deal with his BS anymore..

Hope this makes some sense:)

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I’m also confused.

what would the consequences have been if you hadn’t paid?

I’m sorry this happened to you. There’s a lot of sh*ty people about.
    I think the details I just added might help explain the situation better. Essentially he would then tell Chrono24 that the transaction happened, and I would've been billed by Chrono24 since I did use the platform to get to know the buyer. But he was trying to force me into taking the watch back basically, so I just went and paid for the damn thing and told him that was that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    I think by listing the watch on Chrono24 I agreed to 'not sell it elsewhere', and in theory I did use Chrono24's service/platform to get to know the buyer.

I left this detail out, to be able to delete the ad on Chrono24 I actually need to prove that the watch is still in my possession, which means a photo of my ID next to the watch that's set to a specific time (given randomly on the website). This is obvious easily achieved should the guy who bought my watch just meet up with me for a few minutes. But he was essentially trying to force me into taking the watch back, or otherwise he would inform chrono24 about the transaction, which will lead to me paying. So my reaction was to just did it myself, rather than having to deal with his BS anymore..

I completely understand now

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    wow I didn't actually think of this... sounds like this could've been a lot worse if I had believed his words again :/

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I completely understand now
    sorry about the confusion aha - I should've explained it better the first time round. It was clearer in my head obviously

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldus View Post

Here's something from me, not on Chrono24, not a huge amount, but still a lesson.

I had an incident just before summer on a Dutch auction site, from a guy in the Netherlands.
    When it was time to pay, through the site, I found out that I couldn't (it was set up for people from the Netherlands, and there was no way for me to pay within their system).

It never showed up.
    I looked at the tracking status, and it always showed up as 'waiting for sender to give item'.
    I called the shipping company, they said that they could only give more information to the sender, not the recipient.
    At this point I was still thinking there was just a IT-mistake or a lost package.

He said that the package had been picked up from his work amongst many other packages, and there must be some problem on their side. I believed him.
    He was going to look into it and get a claim if they lost the package.
    When I asked for an update, he said he was sick at home and the package had been sent from work, using their label system so he couldn't give more info.
    A week later when I asked for an update, the computer at work had crashed that contained all the shipping info! But he had a guy trying to repair it. I thought that it must be some kind of small outfit and they were a bit clueless with IT.

Only when he stopped responding to my messages, did it dawn on me I had been conned. Flat out ignoring any messages, but still I got the read receipts on the system...
    He's still active, selling G-shocks and getting good feedback. I suppose people get an evil itch when there's the opportunity to get away with it.
    I contacted the auction site, but it's just one more complaint ticket in their system, and because we went around them and the auction was taken down, there is no transaction in their system.

I have his name (which is common), multiple guys with this name. His bank account number and the account on that site. No phone number, no email address, no home address, etc. (In all subsequent deals I've always asked for a telephone number, home address, email-address, etc).
    Went to the police, report was filed. Probably nothing will come of it.
    Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear that too.. outrages behavior - hopefully the police would actually do something about it. Crazy how people could get away with things like that

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Sorry about your experience.

Thanks for posting. Only recently read some good report on using chrono24 on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    I think with caution it's still a convenient platform to use, and supposedly protects the seller a bit better than eBay does (although i've not used eBay myself). However the commission is really quite high

Master

None of that seems to match up with the terms and conditions for private sellers unless I'm reading the wrong section.

I like how in the T&Cs they word things to make it sound like you've made a legal offer and are now bound by it, rather than the ITT that your listing contitutes.
    Last edited by hafle; 15th November 2019 at 20:17.

None of that seems to match up with the terms and conditions for private sellers unless I'm reading the wrong section.

I like how in the T&Cs they word things to make it sound like you've made a legal offer and are now bound by it, rather than the ITT that your listing contitutes.
    That is true, provided you can show the watch is still in your possession as explained.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You have the right to remove the advert at any time, with no conditions attached.
    When I sold my last watch on there a few months ago that was not the T&C I was presented to agree to before listing.

You only had the right to delete at any time without conditions if you pay a fee for the listing. Only commission listings are available to private sellers in the uk.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldus View Post

Sorry to read this. Which Dutch auction site? Marktplaats? It is a big mess, very poor review of buyers and sellers and a place full of cons, fake items and so on. I would stay clear, especially for stuff that is in demand as it draws more scam artists.

Master
    I stand corrected. Although curious as to whether this is legally enforceable. If you lost the watch, you'd end up having to pay them sales fees.

I'm also happy to corrected though. Won't be using c24 any time in the future! I thought ebay was bad
    Last edited by hafle; 15th November 2019 at 20:40.

Craftsman
    Crikey there’s some knobs about aren’t there, sorry to hear you experienced this...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Not so

Rightly or wrongly chrono24 want their slice of the pie if any contact is made at all regardless where the transaction is concluded

We as retailers have to pay the fee as soon as the inevitable message comes over “best price if I pay I store avoiding c24 fees”, in order to avoid paying it it needs both parties to lie, so we pay it every single time

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Not so

Rightly or wrongly chrono24 want their slice of the pie if any contact is made at all regardless where the transaction is concluded

We as retailers have to pay the fee as soon as the inevitable message comes over “best price if I pay I store avoiding c24 fees”, in order to avoid paying it it needs both parties to lie, so we pay it every single time

Rightly IMO.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Sorry to read this. Which Dutch auction site? Marktplaats? It is a big mess, very poor review of buyers and sellers and a place full of cons, fake items and so on. I would stay clear, especially for stuff that is in demand as it draws more scam artists.

Yes, Marktplaats.
    I had bought there before with no issues.
    In this case I don't think this guy was a deliberate scammer, but an opportunist who take advantage of the situation.

I stand corrected. Although curious as to whether this is legally enforceable. If you lost the watch, you'd end up having to pay them sales fees.

I'm also happy to corrected though. Won't be using c24 any time in the future! I thought ebay was bad
    I think if it's broken or stolen I'd have to provide evidence for that as well - fortunately I didn't experience that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Rightly IMO.
    I agree - in hindsight it was my fault to have agreed to it in the first place without thinking through the situation. Learnt it the hard way

Apprentice
    Yall need to name.names

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Sad Chrono24 tale

Seems fair to me that you pay the commission, as you wouldn’t have met the buyer without using their site. I do disagree with buyer’s tactics though.

Master
    I would also like to see a name. Seems like a chap to avoid.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Haven't used C24 yet but been on the lookout for some time. For a newbie like myself it feels like walking on a minefield of scams tbh...

Thanks for sharing, will surely keep this in mind!

Inviato dal mio LG-H870 utilizzando Tapatalk

Craftsman
    In my opinion everything is correct from Chrono24 side, these are conditions you agreed. Commission is not only for using Escrow.
    Sold my 116710ln there, got a local deal, made f2f etc, but paid commission as otherwise I wouldn’t get the deal (and it was in T&C as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    In my opinion everything is correct from Chrono24 side, these are conditions you agreed. Commission is not only for using Escrow.
    Sold my 116710ln there, got a local deal, made f2f etc, but paid commission as otherwise I wouldn’t get the deal (and it was in T&C as well).
    Yeah nothing wrong with Chrono24. My mistake to have agreed to a discount etc for not using the Escrow - makes no sense for me and got taken advantage of by the buyer essentially.

Master
    Sad to hear that tale, but a good lesson...who knows what people have in their minds, especially when buyer's remorse kicks in, things can get nasty.

Sad Chrono24 tale

I once had a watch for sale on C24 and remember having to pay commission upfront (refundable if unsold). But they did ask for pictures of the watch showing certain time and date in order to refund fees. I suppose they’d emailed everybody from my messages list as well.
    Last edited by Toshk; 16th November 2019 at 19:41.

Apprentice
    With him asking for you to effectively buy it back I wouldn't be surprised if he was then trying to give/sell you another watch, perhaps stolen or fake. So many scammers out here nowadays unfortunately :(

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Thats unfortunate. Lesson learnt defo

I recently used Chrono24 for the first time to sell a black OP39 and my naiveness cost me - here’s what happened.

I bought the watch a couple of months ago after being on a waitlist for a while. Not more than 2 weeks later I was offered a 114060 from another AD and obvious picked that up. By this time I’ve not worn the OP yet, so I put it on Chrono24 at list price + assumed commission looking to move it on (still the cheapest on the website..)

About a month went by and there were a few silly offers that got nowhere. Then I got a message from this guy asking for a face to face transaction at list price, and continue the conversation via WhatsApp, in which I agreed to (already a mistake made here) and bought a train ticket to London the next day.

The next morning, the person said to me that he just got offer the watch from an AD (with a picture of the email conversation with them but no date, looking back I’ve already been fooled there). So I thought okay fair enough, no sale then and unlucky for me to have wasted money on the train ticket. He then started to ask for a discount. At the time I thought, well if he enjoys the watch and I can move this on quickly then I guess I will go for it. So we agreed on a £200 discount (my second mistake here). I met with the guy, everything went smoothly, happy days.

Except not… Yesterday he sent me another message asking if I know anyone who’s interested to buy the watch from him because he’s just bought an Explorer I. Well I’m not a watch dealer so no. And the story really goes downhill from here. He then started saying that Chrono24 is sending him emails to ask if he’s bought the watch, and that he’s ‘worried’ that he will get blacklisted from the website. I realised immediately how much I’ve screwed up for agreeing to not go through Chrono24 to start with (essentially saved him money and put myself in a vulnerable position).

He then ‘kindly’ suggested that I will either have to pay the commission, or to take back the watch at the price I sold him at. He then insisted that the watch is still unworn despite literally wearing it out on the day I sold it to him, and it’s somehow for my benefit to take is back and sell it as new at a higher price or something. I politely refused and went onto Chrono24 and paid the €299 commission the next minute.

A few take-aways from this terrible experience.

1. I should never have agreed to not go through Chrono24 - don’t know what I was thinking there.
    2. Obvious I can’t use the SC here yet, despite having registered over a year ago I’ve only started to get involved in the past few months. But in the future I would much rather sell a watch here to other members.
    3. Some people can just spit out lies:/

Apologies for the rather long post, thought I’d share my naiveness/stupidity so that it won’t happen to anyone else here:)

Any similar experiences please share.

Best Wishes,

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
    With him asking for you to effectively buy it back I wouldn't be surprised if he was then trying to give/sell you another watch, perhaps stolen or fake. So many scammers out here nowadays unfortunately :(

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Fortunately I didn't have to find out:/

Craftsman
    Ouch, sorry for your experience and thanks for sharing!

UPDATE: THIS GUY HAS RE-LISTED THE WATCH AS NEW, BEWARE!

As above, this buyer has now listed my watch on Chrono24 AS NEW!

He also helped himself with my backstory... Beware!!

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/oys...id12910123.htm

Unbelievable

Set up a new account, arrange a meeting, keep him waiting for ages then don't turn up :)

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Set up a new account, arrange a meeting, keep him waiting for ages then don't turn up :)
    Haha I’ll just imagine doing that

Craftsman
    Ask the guy a question on Chrono24. A few days later you’ll be asked to confirm if you completed the transaction. Say yes and karma applied!

Boom.

I feel for you OP. Crappy thing to have happened to you.
    Last edited by NickGaters; 21st November 2019 at 19:36.

SydR

Sad Chrono24 tale

As above, this buyer has now listed my watch on Chrono24 AS NEW!

He also helped himself with my backstory... Beware!!

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/oys...id12910123.htm

Unbelievable
    Report the listing and tell them you know the facts to be false.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Would they actually do anything? Yeah he's lying about the facts, but the watch itself is genuine. Shame the seller is being really sharp.
    Last edited by NickGaters; 21st November 2019 at 19:43.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Reported it yesterday - will see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Would they actually do anything? Yeah he's lying about the facts, but the watch itself is genuine. Shame the seller is being really sharp.
    Well at least it shouldn't be marked unworn - he's worn it for a couple of weeks at least :/

Craftsman
    Well at least it shouldn't be marked unworn - he's worn it for a couple of weeks at least :/
    I should have worded that a lot better. What I should have said was that I bet Chrono24 won't do anything as they stand to make another commission on this and it's not stolen/fake etc. However the seller is a complete c**t and I bet they've nothing in their T&Cs about sellers not being oxygen thieves.

I had actually posted his Chrono24 name, but thought better of it as I want to keep my account on there to buy something soon.

I hope someone with some spare time makes a new account, interacts with him and tells Chrono24 they've bought it. I hate the fact that he's pressurised you and now wanting to make a profit from it.