closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dupont Extra - anyone know anything about them?

Dupont Extra - anyone know anything about them?

This watch tickled my fancy on eBay, if only for the Geneva strips on the movement and the somewhat quirky red hands on blue dial with gilt hour markings.

However I can find out very little about the make on the Internet, and the manual wind, 15 jewel, movement itself contains no clearly visible markings as to its origin.

Would anyone happen to recognise this movement? It roughly measures a shade over 26mm, so I am presuming it's 11.5 ligne.

Possibly a promotion piece on a generic watch?
    The red paint on the hands look like a home made addition, the way the paint is all over the center pinions looks like they were painted red in situ!

Quite possibly - on both points.

However the typeface doesn't look like the corporate Dupont logo (either the "S.T." or "de Nemours" variety). The only other Dupont Extra watches I've found on the web have been 1940's chronographs, and those didn't look like corporate giveaways either.

Hard to be positive about the hands being repainted without removing them and looking underneath, though if they were painted in situ the person who did it either has steady hands or an aversion to coffee!

Edit: if repainted then the hands look to be black underneath the red, but black hands wouldn't make much sense (to me at least) on a blue dial. I would have thought gilt hands, to match the markers, or perhaps silver?
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 15th November 2019 at 14:33.

Its a old redial in my opinion . Wheres the swiss made on the dial ? this is a big clue and with your further comment about hands are black underneath probably a white dial originally .

I think the movement is a AS of some type ( loads fitted to 50s watches ). Is there any markings under the balance on the main plate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Its a old redial in my opinion . Wheres the swiss made on the dial ? this is a big clue and with your further comment about hands are black underneath probably a white dial originally .

I think the movement is a AS of some type ( loads fitted to 50s watches ). Is there any markings under the balance on the main plate ?
    Yes, it might well be a redial.

The "black underneath" comment about the hands was more an impression than a certainty though!

I can't see any obvious markings at all - I have had it under the loupe with better illumination. I was trawling through the 11.5 ligne AS movements on Ranfft, but couldn't see anything that quite matched, but I'll have another look over the weekend.

I have a 50s manual wind Dogma that i purchased recently and I was trawling Ranft for info. I'm sure its a AS movement but there is LOADS and you can see they were easily one of the biggest suppliers at this time . Thousand s of watches carry this makers ebauches .

I could nt identify mine exactly but Iam still looking ! It sometimes only shows pics of the 17 jewel but I have the 15 jewel from the same caliber family , this is where Im having trouble .

Hmmmm.....looking somewhat similar to the AS 780

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...0&2uswk&AS_780