closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont Ronnie Wood Collection

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    If you view their accounts at Companies House you can get an objective view of their position.
    Which from my amateur reading, I get that they're funded by American venture capitalists.
    So a British brand, a French name, Swiss movements and an English name funded by Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Which from my amateur reading, I get that they're funded by American venture capitalists.
    So a British brand, a French name, Swiss movements and an English name funded by Americans.
    LOL...yes sounds about right.

I’d comment on the financials but my amateur reading isn’t really up to it either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    There’s only one thing I like about these watches.

Yes, I’ve got some Sympathy For The Bevel

Presumably the Brian Jones one is waterproof?
    You can’t always get what you want.

Master
    As a few of you know I work for Bremont and I don't usually comment on posts because everyone's entitled to their own opinion but felt I had to on this occasion because this particular watch has been an amazing project to work on.
    Completely different to what's been done before. A combination of precious metal, beautiful movement and each piece being individual was enjoyable in itself but there were also the challenges of working around schedules and finding the correct paints and materials to use for and on the dial. The response has been overwhelmingly positive from the public.
    I knew there would be plenty of detractors on general WIS forums but you can't please everyone! Personally I've enjoyed the crossover of art and horology. Ultimately if you're not a fan of his art then it's not for you but the watch itself is stunning (IMO!). Cheers.
    Last edited by MrBanks; 15th November 2019 at 13:39.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I genuinely like them,yet my collection is predominantly easy to read divers and pilot style watches this is the polar opposite.
    As I said if I had the money I would buy one,Ronnie is a character.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    As a few of you know I work for Bremont and I don't usually comment on posts because everyone's entitled to their own opinion but felt I had to on this occasion because this particular watch has been an amazing project to work on. Completely different to what's been done before. A combination of precious metal, beautiful movement and each piece being individual was enjoyable in itself but there were also the challenges of working around schedules and finding the correct paints and materials to use for and on the dial. The response has been overwhelmingly positive from the public. I knew there would be plenty of detractors on general WIS forums but you can't please everyone! Personally I've enjoyed the crossover of art and horology. Ultimately if you're not a fan of his art then it's not for you but the watch itself is stunning (IMO!). Cheers.
    Being a complete newbie here I never knew that.

Whilst I don’t particularly like the watch, and I’m not sure what direction Bremont is going in, I’m very envious that you’ve got a job in the watch industry and that you’re obviously enjoying it. Good luck and hope it’s a success !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also they should be applauded for trying something different,win or lose good effort.

Thanks MrBanks for that.
    A Bremont thread always brings out some poor disturbed souls, best ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Thanks MrBanks for that.
    You mean those that don’t like it ?

Master
    Not to my taste at all, and the prices are ridiculous.

You mean those that don’t like it ?
    He compulsively abuses people who don't like Bremont, it's all part of the monthly ritual: interested person starts thread, brand gets slagged off, slaggers get belittled.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    He compulsively abuses people who don't like Bremont, it's all part of the monthly ritual: interested person starts thread, brand gets slagged off, slaggers get belittled.

Particularly the ones who post 11 times in a day criticising a brand when they have a total of 147 posts in two years:-)
    For sake of fairness, I should state that 2-3 of them were in response to my posts.
    It is not about liking or disliking a brand. It is about the negativity, which irritates me.
    Someone could easily say I don’t like the brand or the model and that is fine. But repetitive snide comments get my goat.

Grand Master
    An unusual concept, doesn’t appeal to me but lots of horological offerings don’t. I’ve yet to see a Bremont watch that I do like, but I still admire what they’ve tried to do as a brand.

This could be a novel watch to take on a first date, a real talking point and may help the preamble to that inevitable suggestion as the evening progresses........’Lets Spend The Night Together’.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    An unusual concept, doesn’t appeal to me but lots of horological offerings don’t. I’ve yet to see a Bremont watch that I do like, but I still admire what they’ve tried to do as a brand.

This could be a novel watch to take on a first date, a real talking point and may help the preamble to that inevitable suggestion as the evening progresses........’Lets Spend The Night Together’.
    He sings

Time is on my side, yes it is
    Now you all were saying that you want to be free
    But you'll come runnin' back (I said you would baby)

Particularly the ones who post 11 times in a day criticising a brand when they have a total of 147 posts in two years:-)
    For sake of fairness, I should state that 2-3 of them were in response to my posts.
    It is not about liking or disliking a brand. It is about the negativity, which irritates me.
    Someone could easily say I don’t like the brand or the model and that is fine. But repetitive snide comments get my goat.
    I guess based on the 11 posts comment you are having a pop at me. I’m not sure how many of my posts were genuinely snide, maybe a couple at a push but I was mainly trying to add some factual information to an otherwise LIKE / DON’T LIKE tennis match. Which ones are critical of Bremont ?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Really something that didn't need to exist. It's a shocker.
    Looks like something Keith might have dreamed up during a bad trip.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Can’t wait for the Keith Richards collection.
    Beaten to it (a while back).
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 15th November 2019 at 14:31.

I like much of what Bremond do but not those.

I actually thought they were just under £4,000 at first - seriously wasn't expecting a price that high.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    A Ron Wood original or a print I can see that price but a watch? There is form for this with Zenith

https://quillandpad.com/2017/03/31/l...t-type-20-gmt/

who did a series of Stones watches. I dont suppose anyone here has 'invested' in the collection. there is a series of marine clocks as well

https://www.guitarplayer.com/guitara...-tells-a-story

Not sure about this one

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/vi...wood-6973.html

For £40k I’d expect the straps to be made of excess skin from Ronnie’s leathery face.

Craftsman
    Who would do such a thing...

Ronnie Would.

I like the idea of unique pieces that will always have some connection to a renowned artist like Ronnie. Unfortunately, however, I'm well and truly out at those prices.

Thanks MrBanks for that.
    I'm not poor or disturbed but, unlike Mr Banks, l have no dog in this fight and think those watches are hideous and their asking price is an absolute joke...

It is never best to ignore an opinion that contradicts one's own. Doing so turns you into exactly what you're ignoring.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Those watches would kill passion quicker than a pan of molten lead on her genitals...

I like the concept, i like some of the 47 painted dails. I dont like the price.
    My question is, would this release not have been better suited for the 2019 LE, instead of the H 4. I realise Bremont do many LEs for the military.
    However this launch is confusing, so close after the H4 event. Should Bremont stop using the LE tag on their watches. They all seem to be limited in one way or another.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bremont Ronnie Wood Collection

For this this price you could get a stunning painting, stunning watch and a signed pair of Ronnie’s used underpants.
    Last edited by Lammylee; 15th November 2019 at 23:09.

Following a trend here I think. You can't move in certain art shops round our way for over-priced original or 'limited' edition works Ronnie. All rather dubious in quality, over-priced and, well, just like these watches. Even the art gallery owners will admit that there is a fair amount of p^&*-taking here when you get into detailed discussions with them about these pieces compared to other artists represented in their shops.

Seriously, if you had £38k to spend on a watch would you be considering one of these instead of a Patek annual calendar or similar?
    Last edited by jpjsavage; 16th November 2019 at 08:38.

It is the 'art' that is the main driver of the price. Like his work or not, his original paintings have sold for north of 300K.

i sold some 'Eric Clapton' watches to a bloke in Switzerland a few years back. Indeed the bloke joined this forum just so that he could PM me about the watches. It turned out he was the president of the Swiss Clapton fan club. He sent me photos of him with Clapton and also him with Ronnie Wood, he was also the agent for Ronnie Wood's artwork.

Seemed a nice bloke, successful but still canny, he got me to post the watches to one of his businesses in Germany and said his secretary would see that he got them in Switzerland!

Mitch

Craftsman
    Saw this when collecting a new watch yesterday in London. Apparently, they had 6 and 5 sold on the day of release, Ronnie Wood was there on the day..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those two little windows and the larger date subdial beneath could be the basis for a nice portrait of Mick Jagger. Opportunity missed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Those two little windows and the larger date subdial beneath could be the basis for a nice portrait of Mick Jagger. Opportunity missed.
    Once seen.......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Saw this when collecting a new watch yesterday in London. Apparently, they had 6 and 5 sold on the day of release, Ronnie Wood was there on the day..

I am experiencing absolutely no rage, hatred, anxiety or bitterness as l type this, but can cheerfully inform the dear members of this forum that my daughter, who is 5 tomorrow, can produce far better artwork than that which we see on that watch...

Yep unfortunately art can be in any form as long as the name and provenance is of good stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I am experiencing absolutely no rage, hatred, anxiety or bitterness as l type this, but can cheerfully inform the dear members of this forum that my daughter, who is 5 tomorrow, can produce far better artwork than that which we see on that watch...
    That is a perfectly legitimate view point.
    I am not fond of this line either.
    I still believe they will not have to sweat the 40 odd watches.

What a load of self congratulatory guff.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries
    Wow ! what a pile of Doo Doo , good luck with selling those , you would have to be on LSD to even consider one .

Craftsman
    I'm rather astounded at the negativity on this thread! I'm almost ashamed to say I like some of them and the world needs more different things.

Master
    Bremont here move design in no direction, and buy in the movement (they could have least have thought about ‘in house’). If the idea was that a watch could be sold with art on the dial, why not use some up-and-coming artists, who might benefit from the exposure? If this is about something unique - art in your wrist - why does almost each design look identical? They look more like three different pictures, coloured differently.

People will buy them, because those that can buy them will see 40k as pocket change. So what?

These watches to me also embody the Britain that companies like Bremont now see; London as Dubai-on-Thames. If Scorsese ever makes a ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ sequel for today, I’m sure Bremont will try to get in as the ‘official watch’.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Bremont here move design in no direction, and buy in the movement (they could have least have thought about ‘in house’). If the idea was that a watch could be sold with art on the dial, why not use some up-and-coming artists, who might benefit from the exposure? If this is about something unique - art in your wrist - why does almost each design look identical? They look more like three different pictures, coloured differently.

People will buy them, because those that can buy them will see 40k as pocket change. So what?

These watches to me also embody the Britain that companies like Bremont now see; London as Dubai-on-Thames. If Scorsese ever makes a ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ sequel for today, I’m sure Bremont will try to get in as the ‘official watch’.
    Bremont is developing an in-house movement working with Stephen McDonnell (by way of an example of his work see the video below). As far as the artist is concerned; it's highly unlikely you could charge these prices (or even close to) with an unknown artist, however talented.

Not trying to defend Bremont and I don't like these watches from an aesthetic perspective.

Last edited by Skier; 18th November 2019 at 21:43. Reason: Spelling!

Great video. Thanks for sharing

Master
    That's a great video to touch on the genius of Stephen McDonnell. Coming up with the MB&F perpetual in less than 2 years is nothing short of brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    That's a great video to touch on the genius of Stephen McDonnell. Coming up with the MB&F perpetual in less than 2 years is nothing short of brilliant.
    Evening Luke, I hope you're well. When Nick was briefing us on the development of the in-house movement I made a note of the name and looked him up when back at home; he is indeed a genius. I am no fan of skeleton watches or watches where there is no/little dial and the movement is exposed but that MB&F is truly a work of art - unlike Mr R Wood's efforts that I see no merit in (but then I don't see any merit in the work of Dali, Chagall, Picasso etc. and they command astronomical prices). All in my humble opinion of course.

Master
    These are hand-painted by someone who is undoubtedly a talented artist, but more importantly has an indelible place in the iconography not merely of rock music but of post-war popular culture in general. I'd have said that you can't put a price on that. Turns out you can, and it's not excessive.

Craftsman
    What a genuinely weird thread of responses, absolute negativity all over the place

They will sell all of the watches and share the best part of £2m between them, fair play for combining fine watch making and genuine art.

At £40k it’s not an option for many, so the negativity is ultimately delicious on a Bremont thread!

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    What a genuinely weird thread of responses, absolute negativity all over the place

They will sell all of the watches and share the best part of £2m between them, fair play for combining fine watch making and genuine art.

At £40k it’s not an option for many, so the negativity is ultimately delicious on a Bremont thread!

I think it’s a bit unfair to call negative responses “weird”. It seems that at least half of the posters on this thread don’t like the watch, the art, the price, or something else. I’d say that they’re entitled to air their views just as much as those who are positive about the watch, the art, the price, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I don't doubt it from your perspective, but there is no better when it comes to art. We all interpret it differently and there's no right or wrong, good or bad. My five year old is quite handy with a crayon too but I don't think anyone will be willing to put her masterpieces on a watch dial, or pay vast sums for it. Which is fine by me as it's priceless to us.

Craftsman
    I think it’s a bit unfair to call negative responses “weird”. It seems that at least half of the posters on this thread don’t like the watch, the art, the price, or something else. I’d say that they’re entitled to air their views just as much as those who are positive about the watch, the art, the price, or something else.
    Swap ‘weird’ for ‘irrational’...the word Bremont brings out the worst in some forum members

Grand Master
    Lets not kid ourselves the Ronnie Wood Collection won't be to this forums taste however for those who wish to have a piece of Ronnies Art mixed with a quality timepiece and the they have the money and the passion for the man/band/art then let them be. It does not effect you but you allow your hate to overflow which only damages the hater. Allow them to innovate and push that envelope, it won't always work but I would rather be offered it than a bland dish from every other 'safe' Swiss watch firm.

Instead lets look at the positive, you have a firm that makes some really respectable pieces and has also brought watchmaking back to UK and does it extremely well, the new factory is going to be amazing and very exciting for the brand. As the manager of Blowers I deal with a lot of watches and a lot of people so get a broad and varied understanding of the market and one of the most common questions I am asked is 'What watch do you wear?' or 'Whats your favourite watch?' Well when my sleeve rolls up 9 times out of 10 its got my Bremont on! Go figure.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Lets not kid ourselves the Ronnie Wood Collection won't be to this forums taste however for those who wish to have a piece of Ronnies Art mixed with a quality timepiece and the they have the money and the passion for the man/band/art then let them be. It does not effect you but you allow your hate to overflow which only damages the hater. Allow them to innovate and push that envelope, it won't always work but I would rather be offered it than a bland dish from every other 'safe' Swiss watch firm.

Instead lets look at the positive, you have a firm that makes some really respectable pieces and has also brought watchmaking back to UK and does it extremely well, the new factory is going to be amazing and very exciting for the brand. As the manager of Blowers I deal with a lot of watches and a lot of people so get a broad and varied understanding of the market and one of the most common questions I am asked is 'What watch do you wear?' or 'Whats your favourite watch?' Well when my sleeve rolls up 9 times out of 10 its got my Bremont on! Go figure.
    If I had been asked what you wear on your wrist 9 times out of ten Kerry. I would have put money on a Panerai. Good job I'm not a betting man. Good to read you still liking your Bremont project watch.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    Swap ‘weird’ for ‘irrational’...the word Bremont brings out the worst in some forum members

I still think it’s unfair. Bremont brings out a lot of negativity because some people have a fairly negative view about them. I’m sure those who like this have rational reasons for doing so, but I’m also sure that those who dislike this also have rational reasons for doing so.

One thing that is true though, is that when it comes to Bremont threads the “dislikers” really feel the need to post. I think that’s the odd thing. Like everybody else I like a lot of stuff and dislike a lot of stuff. I wouldn’t normally bother posting on threads about stuff I dislike, but here I am posting away on a Bremont thread.

For the record, I quite like Bremont watches. Not enough to buy one but I admire what they have done. I just think our national treasure Ronnie is an overrated artist. But as many others have said, this is all highly subjective.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk