closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crazy Idea

Crazy Idea

My wife is thinking about taking myself and the kids to the states next year. She's been before but I haven't. We would probably do Disney land and the Epcot centre at least . Its a three week trip. Now, I have always wanted to do a free fall parachute jump and I guess that this may be an opertunity. The only problem is that I'm 56 years old with a belly and weigh 16.5 stone. Am I being crazy at the thought or is it potentially do-able. I may well change my mind but that's the nature of the thing I guess. Any frank thoughts would be welcome.

If you do want a frank suggestion, join Slimming World. It's the only diet I have done that took the weight off and because of the type of diet it is (ie relies on home cooking and makes you aware of what you're eating) the weight has stayed off for over 2 years. You should be able to shift a chunk of weight before you go.

Then you can throw yourself from a plane with gay abandon!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

There must be commandos who weigh the same as you, albeit muscle and sinew. Eat, drink and be merry, they'll find you a suitable parachute and all you do is jump out.
    F.T.F.A.

Thank you . I realise my weight will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There must be commandos who weigh the same as you, albeit muscle and sinew. Eat, drink and be merry, they'll find you a suitable parachute and all you do is jump out.
    Very funny. Are there any parachuting people here able and willing to give your thoughts.

I think even a jump from a plane would do. The thrill would be fantastic. I'm just not sure about my weight. I guess the typical American is not exactly lightweight.

I am not someone that throws themselves out of perfectly serviceable aircraft, however I don’t think your weight will be an issue.
    I know a former 6ft 2 prop forward (18st+) who has his P company wings. As far as I can tell he just got to the ground before everyone else!
    Enquire with the company you intend to plummet with. They will confirm either way. It will be a tandem jump and as you say our cousins across the pond are a tad more rotund than us so it must be possible.
    Enjoy... it’s a long way down 😛

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am not someone that throws themselves out of perfectly serviceable aircraft, however I don’t think your weight will be an issue.
    I know a former 6ft 2 prop forward (18st+) who has his P company wings. As far as I can tell he just got to the ground before everyone else!
    Enquire with the company you intend to plummet with. They will confirm either way. It will be a tandem jump and as you say our cousins across the pond are a tad more rotund than us so it must be possible.
    Enjoy... it’s a long way down 😛
    The longer the better. I don't have an attack dog to strap to me. My Collie wouldn't like it. Thanks for being positive. Its something I really want to do. Haven't told my wife though.

Don’t worry, you’ll bounce!

Go for it

Master
    Blog Entries
    You will be in very good company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lofty_Large

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I think even a jump from a plane would do. The thrill would be fantastic. I'm just not sure about my weight. I guess the typical American is not exactly lightweight.
    From my last trip to the states, its us brits who should be worrying about obesity issuez, not the yanks..

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    You will be in very good company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lofty_Large
    That's all very well but I don't want to be buried in Hereford Cemetery. Some dusty plain in the US would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    From my last trip to the states, its us brits who should be worrying about obesity issuez, not the yanks..
    You fat Brits can keep it to yourselves. It's a fat Danish man I'm concerned about!

I've no idea about the sky diving but got good of experience with Disney having been earlier this year.

Disney Land is in California, whereas Epcot is a park in Walt Disney World resort, Florida so do your research as to what parks you want to visit. Animal Kingdom was probably my favourite, along with the Water parks (Blizzard Beach and Typoon Lagoon).
    The new Star Wars attractions are in Hollywood Studios which may appeal to you. My young children loved The Magic Kingdom and meeting Disney characters, but when I went as a teenager and wasn't that fussed by that park. Epcot is good but some of the rides are pretty dated.

Walt Disney World has 4 theme parks and two water parks so it's a full week if you want to see it all.

Your age is no problem, we had my parents both 67/68 with us, they're in good shape but the days are long and you can easily be on your feet for 12 hours so to get the most from the trip loosing a stone or two will help.

Fast passes are a must if you want to enjoy your experience, queuing 3 hours for a two minute ride in blistering heat isn't anyones idea of fun.

Disney's food packages are also worth looking into as eating and drinking in the parks isn't a cheap either. We also stayed in Disney Port Orleans resort, which was pretty nice. It had a pool, food and drink included, with regular transport to all the Disney parks.

In short it's an experience rather than a holiday. It needs a good amount of research and planning to get the most out of it.

If at first you don’t succeed... Skydiving is not for you!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Any frank thoughts would be welcome.
    Stop messing about fatty and lose some weight.

Craftsman
    Typically a 15 stone limit for initial jumps according to this.

https://www.bpa.org.uk/your-first-jump/

Master
    Good luck with your jump! My son just earned his jump wings in September from Fort Benning it's not easy. I just got back from Disney as I am a DVC member and the Gondolas were great had to try them out while I was there. Also, 3 weeks is a long time to go so make a stop at Universal Studios it's a great park as well. If you stay at Universal in deluxe accommodations they will give free fast passes while your there and since the fast passes are very pricey it may be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It needs a good amount of research and planning to get the most out of it.
    As above.

We went last March and booking your fast passes as early as possible is a must. Also be aware that if you book them and then use your three you can then book more on the day. The reason I say that is because if you book one morning one afternoon and one evening...you’ll miss the opportunity to book more fast passes. I’d certainly recommend taking a back up phone battery charger as you will need your phone to do this... and to book additional fast passes you’ll need to be quick on your phone as they won’t last long if more become available throughout the day. Though the disney app sucks at times and boots you out you have to play the game!

We also stayed on resort and I’d do it again as you don’t need a car... transport is provided and it just makes everything easy.

We also went for the meal plan that provided breakfast and supper and three snacks each a day... or maybe it was five... anyhow... basically get whatever you want and you’ll Likely still have snack credits left when you go... that you can use in the gift shop in candies etc. Also know that you can book meals at any restaurant in the park... even the meals will take some planning and research. You’ll need to learn the difference between a full service meal and a quick serve (?!?) to book accordingly. Also, a tea of drink from a guy in a goofy hat costs the same Credits as a nice drink from Starbucks. My kids learned this and quickly swapped the cheap lemonades for something nice with their name written in the labels!

I think my wife did approximately 40 hours plus research before planning our trip and it was seamless... but she put in a lot of effort to plan everything.

Enjoy the trip! Feel free to ask questions if need be.

And the parachuting... you’ll be fine whatever you want to do... and with the Disney walking you’ll loose the weight anyway! Be prepared for miles of walking ... if you’re so inclined!

Excellent information. Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post

From 2017

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s America 16.5 stone is around average over there.

I can't see your weight being an issue. Don't forget people tandem sky dive, which I've done. I'm 12st and I can't imagine the instructor was less than 4st, so you'll be fine

That said, it was actually quite boring to be honest. I wouldn't do it again.

I've been skydiving for 43 years, first jump in 1976.
    Skydived in California (Perris valley, Elsnore and Pope Valley) and Florida (Zephyrhills, Deland) back the late seventies early eighties, the barnstorming days with very little thought given to safety compared to nowdays (unless you jump at Lodi, Calif)..

I take it you want to a tandem jump and not an AFF course (which takes a while to complete).
    Your weight won't be a problem in the USA.
    You don't have to be fit, why should you be, all you're doing is falling through the air. Just as long as you can walk unaided you'll be fine :D
    It only takes an hour or so training/briefing to to a tandem jump.

As mentioned, make sure your insurance covers you for skydiving/parachuting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I can't see your weight being an issue. Don't forget people tandem sky dive, which I've done. I'm 12st and I can't imagine the instructor was less than 4st, so you'll be fine

That said, it was actually quite boring to be honest. I wouldn't do it again.
    My understanding is that it's not the parachute, it's how much weight the instructor is allowed to handle. I've been wanting to go skydiving for a while now, but I'm still over the limit (15 stones/95 kg seems to be the standard). Some places will take you for an additional surcharge if you're not too much over the limit.

OP, find a skydiving operator where you're going and talk to them directly - they'll tell you what is the absolute limit and you can go from there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    As above.

We went last March and booking your fast passes as early as possible is a must. Also be aware that if you book them and then use your three you can then book more on the day. The reason I say that is because if you book one morning one afternoon and one evening...you’ll miss the opportunity to book more fast passes. I’d certainly recommend taking a back up phone battery charger as you will need your phone to do this... and to book additional fast passes you’ll need to be quick on your phone as they won’t last long if more become available throughout the day. Though the disney app sucks at times and boots you out you have to play the game!

We also stayed on resort and I’d do it again as you don’t need a car... transport is provided and it just makes everything easy.

We also went for the meal plan that provided breakfast and supper and three snacks each a day... or maybe it was five... anyhow... basically get whatever you want and you’ll Likely still have snack credits left when you go... that you can use in the gift shop in candies etc. Also know that you can book meals at any restaurant in the park... even the meals will take some planning and research. You’ll need to learn the difference between a full service meal and a quick serve (?!?) to book accordingly. Also, a tea of drink from a guy in a goofy hat costs the same Credits as a nice drink from Starbucks. My kids learned this and quickly swapped the cheap lemonades for something nice with their name written in the labels!

I think my wife did approximately 40 hours plus research before planning our trip and it was seamless... but she put in a lot of effort to plan everything.

Enjoy the trip! Feel free to ask questions if need be.

And the parachuting... you’ll be fine whatever you want to do... and with the Disney walking you’ll loose the weight anyway! Be prepared for miles of walking ... if you’re so inclined!
    All good advice regarding the fast lane passes.

The first time we visited Universal, there was no such thing as wifi... the phone bill was over the top. Nowadays, wifi is perfect. There's a great 'waiting line' app.

My wife was at Disney's last month (Work related - yes, lousy job...). She rated the park below the Universal Parks in Orlando. More VFM according to her. It all depends on how old your kids are. Younger: Disney I suppose. (Little) older Universal. And when the kids are into Harry Potter, then Universal is the way to go. Easily: Universal is the Potter epicenter of the world. Hands down.

Since you're located in Denmark, it's easy to presume that you're flying from Copenhagen. The destination airport is Orlando International, which is pretty close to Orlando. (The other, northern airport is about 1 hr from the outskirts of Orlando).

Vista Cay by Millennium is perfect spot for an apartment. Publix grocery shop, small restaurants + takeaway around the corner, International Drive with endless restaurants, bars, cinemas and a few nice landmarks is only minutes away. Vista Cay to Universal is 12 mins. without traffic jams, Disney world 11 mins! Go to the Bass Pro Shop. For us, Europeans, it's unreal to see the endless amount of guns, rifles and lethal crossbows for sale among 'regular' camping stuff, woodworker's shirts, outboard engines and allow fish crafts!

Find a rothm visiting the parks: 2 days, one day off, another 2 days etc. Recommended: Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic Coast / Space Coast just over an hour to the east. Lot's of interesting things to see there as well (Nasa etc). When in Cocoa Beach, visit Ron Jon's Surf Shop. Believe me: you can't miss the place! Over the top architecture!

I suppose that this is only a part of your three week plan. Let us know what's on your list as well. Perhaps we can chip in with ideas.
    Last edited by thieuster; 14th November 2019 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    . It all depends on how old your kids are.
    True. My daughter turned six while we were there. My son was eight. Spent two days in each of the Disney parks... and one extra day I can’t remember where. Kids were too young to appreciate Epcot and the country walk or whatever it is called. Thoroughly enjoyed the rides though !

Customer service second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    If you do want a frank suggestion, join Slimming World. It's the only diet I have done that took the weight off and because of the type of diet it is (ie relies on home cooking and makes you aware of what you're eating) the weight has stayed off for over 2 years. You should be able to shift a chunk of weight before you go.

Then you can throw yourself from a plane with gay abandon!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Slimming World. I joined, learned their stuff and have weighed in weekly since May. 39 pounds off and counting down to the target of 42. Bought 32 waist jeans last week. Honestly, do it, eat less and better, exercise more, walk dogs, etc. Feels great.