closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grail watch on eBay. But it's in Brazil!

Grail watch on eBay. But it's in Brazil!

I've long hankered after a white dialled Heuer Montreal, as per this link.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153710471668

A few pop up from time to time on Chronos24 but are around the 6K mark which is just a bit too strong for me.

A saved search alerted me to this on eBay. Its got a day and a bit left to go. I know there would be import charges to add on but is this a cheap-er way to reach that grail? I also realise I'd need a period bracelet to complete the look and these don't come cheap.

Thoughts in due course please.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Lovely,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would of won it first. You've alerted a watch forum of a lovely watch you might bid on.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I would of won it first. You've alerted a watch forum of a lovely watch you might bid on.
    I know but I am sure I can trust all of my fellow members here on TZ-UK.

I didn't want to win it, for someone more informed to then point out the error of my ways.

Certainly looks a decent listing, a seller with tons of feedback and international shipping and e-bay buyer protection. Lovely looking watch. The shipping cost is fixed and 20% vat when the Watch arrives in Blighty.

Go for it. Like you, I'm also on the hunt for a rare white dial watch (Seiko SARB013) and if I saw it in similar circumstances I would certainly be bidding.

Good luck.

Case looks over polished to me maybe need to factor in a refinish too!

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin10 View Post
    Case looks over polished to me maybe need to factor in a refinish too!
    I agree, while it may just be the rather harsh light in those pictures, the sunburst finish to the upper case seems to have all but disappeared (you can still see evidence on the underside of the case). Bear in mind that the correct sunburst effect case refinishing on a cushion case Heuer is notoriously difficult to get just right, and it certainly used to be that the only people capable of doing a 100% correct job were Abel Court and some guy from Italy. That situation may have changed/improved, but whatever the current situation, these cases are not something that every local watchmaker will be able to refinish properly, so bear that in mind when you place your bid!

I would think that any refinisher with a case lapping machine could do the correct finish. That would leave Rocco at watch works, STS and a few others I would think.

I'd go for it, on the understanding it may need £800 spending on it to be 100%.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I know nothing about this reference, but don’t like that dial at all. Shouldn’t there be serifs on the text, and the numbers in the hour counter look all wrong but that could be crystal distortion. Can you find the same dial on a known example ? I notice the seller never used the term original when talking about the dial.

Thanks for the comments. This is what I've been using as my reference. I think it's a photo from the Heuer site Calibre11.com

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Thanks for the comments. This is what I've been using as my reference. I think it's a photo from the Heuer site Calibre11.com

It looks nothing like it !

Serifs, subdial quality, tachymetre text missing, second track markers don’t extend to the edge, white outer scale background is black instead of white, pulsations track red instead of blue... and more !
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 13th November 2019 at 20:52.

I'm not so sure that any refinisher with a case lapping machine will be able to achieve a factory sunburst finish on a vintage Heuer... Yes, there's probably a few more these days than 10-15 years or so ago, due in no small part to the sizeable rise in values of these old Heuers, and what is now economically viable to undertake.

There's no shortage of info on the web about the difficulties of refinishing (correctly) a sunburst effect Heuer, written by Heuer enthusiasts far more experienced & knowledgeable than myself. Here's a good read eluding to the issue - https://www.calibre11.com/autavia-gmt-restored/

Anyway, it was just a point I thought worth mentioning, it may or may not be an issue to the OP.

Movement Looks nice and clean , recently serviced. A few screw heads damaged but He Ho . On the hole a good honest watch but as others have pointed out , it is over polished lugs could be deformed , cant see from the pics . The swiss in the dial looks suspect but this could be photo and angle .
    If you are willing to pay return postage, its a no brainer for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Movement Looks nice and clean , recently serviced. A few screw heads damaged but He Ho . On the hole a good honest watch but as others have pointed out , it is over polished lugs could be deformed , cant see from the pics . The swiss in the dial looks suspect but this could be photo and angle .
    If you are willing to pay return postage, its a no brainer for a reasonable price.
    LOL

A very deep hole

Sorry Yeah my fault you posted the correct dial before i hit send . I take it all back lol.

That will teach me to look at the info before commenting

Craftsman
    I’m no expert in these but it looks like someone repainted the centre of a dial that was originally black.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    I’m no expert in these but it looks like someone repainted the centre of a dial that was originally black.
    Yes looking at these on OTD I’m wondering if it’s something like that, maybe it started life as the model with black dial and applied markers.

http://www.onthedash.com/chronograph...plied-markers/

But even then, where has the word “tachymetre” disappeared too. And more wrong with the dial... the lume pips are missing at 3, 6, and 9. Basically it’s a mess and one to avoid.
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 13th November 2019 at 21:35.

Just shows what a minefield Vintage is. I think the OP was wise to seek opinions based on some of the responses received. I must admit I was looking at the text on the dial and the e-bay watch does not look as professional as the text book example pictured.

I think returning the Watch to Brazil is probably not a good idea, so tread with care.

Wise words from those more experienced and observed than I and yes, I agree that vintage is indeed a minefield.

Thanks all.

It is Op. Redials/refinished dials were routinely done with a service years ago, as people didnt worry about originality and collectability, they just had a scruffy dial that needed work so they could see the time. They never thought or cared that they would last for another 50- 60 years and actually be worth good money!. In this case as members have said it looks like a blatant attempt to make a scruffy average black dial watch into a rarer white dial , I have read before that South american traders do this alot (Omegaforums) have a thread on it and have advised to avoid ANY watch from there. But there are good and bad traders every where and some members have purchased genuine, original vintage Omega watches from South American sellers .

You have to study every example you can find like HookedSeven did ! ( luckily )

I assumed you had already done this . If you only stick to a few brands you will know at first glance , i can normally do this with Omega and Longines as thats what I mainly buy/ collect

Just recently started to look at other brands and now learning again .

Interesting hobby this vintage lark

Master
    The font used on the Ebay watch is wrong in comparing to dials on the Caliber11 site. The original dials have a more Times New Roman style while the Ebay has more of an Arial style.