closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster

Master

Omega Seamaster

I picked this up several days ago and must say I’m impressed with the finish and detail.
    This is the first Seamaster I’ve bought and the second Omega.
    Lovely watches but you already knew that!

Omega certainly did a great job with this update. The watchfinder videos really highlight the quality of these watches in detail. I can't think of anything else that is this good for the money.

Master
    I didn’t know they had a video of this watch, I enjoyed watching it thanks.
    It’s gone up in price too

Blog Entries
    Can't disagree with that. The light blue version is an interesting variant - looks much better than pictures. Now it has the adjustable clasp it wears so well.

Master
    I love my Rose gold version and like the silver dial version also. I have just purchased the 007 edition. They are great watches and stunning value for the money.

Master
    Really like it, I just really don't like the bracelet on the seamsters.

You could get round that on the previous version by using the speedy bracelet bit you can't on the new version due to the lug length.

It is a fantastic watch inspite of the skeleton hands. I fondly refer to it as a sub killer. This and the new Oris Aquis in 43 mm are great substitutes for a Sub, IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

You could get round that on the previous version by using the speedy bracelet bit you can't on the new version due to the lug length.
    I’ve never been a fan of the bracelet or the hands but wearing it I’ve changed my mind.

Journeyman
    I really like the new wave pattern on the latest SM300 dials.

Grand Master
    Had a look at these in a shop window last week. They look OK, although I preferred the older pre-ceramic models I quite like the date at 6 feature. Not sure about the new wavy dial, my favourite was the older wavy dial which always worked nicely IMO. This reminds me of the way companies used to mess around with their logo, making subtle changes on the advice of the marketing muppets.

The worst aspect is the price, £4K for a steel Seamaster pro seems crazy, even factoring in discounts they're looking expensive. I suppose the current ricing will drag up the value of good second-hand examples, I own two of the older versions, so I guess I should be happy when I see the current price.

One concern I have with the ceramic bezels is refinishing. OK, the insert won't get scratched and marked like the old ones did, but the bezel itself will still pick up marks and dings, especially when worn by 'action man' types who don`t look after stuff. The old bezels could be refinished after removing the insert, a relatively simple job, but removing a ceramic insert is a different matter! The risk of cracking it has to be significant, II wouldn't want to attempt it, and I`m sure I'm not alone.

Service and maintenance of these watches will end up being confined to Omega accredited indys (if there are any left in a few years) or Omega service centre. Prices will be whatever they can get away with charging, so long-term ownership will be far more expensive than in years gone by. That's what you're buying into thesedays.

Master
    Congrats lovely watch! I have tried to like it for myself many times now in an AD, too big for my puny wrists!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Had a look at these in a shop window last week. They look OK, although I preferred the older pre-ceramic models I quite like the date at 6 feature. Not sure about the new wavy dial, my favourite was the older wavy dial which always worked nicely IMO. This reminds me of the way companies used to mess around with their logo, making subtle changes on the advice of the marketing muppets.

The worst aspect is the price, £4K for a steel Seamaster pro seems crazy, even factoring in discounts they're looking expensive. I suppose the current ricing will drag up the value of good second-hand examples, I own two of the older versions, so I guess I should be happy when I see the current price.

One concern I have with the ceramic bezels is refinishing. OK, the insert won't get scratched and marked like the old ones did, but the bezel itself will still pick up marks and dings, especially when worn by 'action man' types who don`t look after stuff. The old bezels could be refinished after removing the insert, a relatively simple job, but removing a ceramic insert is a different matter! The risk of cracking it has to be significant, II wouldn't want to attempt it, and I`m sure I'm not alone.

Service and maintenance of these watches will end up being confined to Omega accredited indys (if there are any left in a few years) or Omega service centre. Prices will be whatever they can get away with charging, so long-term ownership will be far more expensive than in years gone by. That's what you're buying into thesedays.
    I just fancied a change from the usual Rolex Tat

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Sorted...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Yup, have it in blue and it's a great watch imo. Certainly as you say for the price point it would take some beating, especially with the adjustable clasp. To be honest I didn't like the watch at first when I'd only seen pictures of it, something didn't seem quite right but when I tried one on at a sales evening at the local Omega AD I was very impressed.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I echo most owners comments - not a watch that had my attention in pictures, and never a fan of the bracelet (again when seen in pictures)
    However the moment i sat down with one in an AD i was blown away by the finish and overall look. Just the right amount of rugged, shinny and dress combined in one.
    To say a near £4K watch is "good value" is a bit of a laugh, but in this day and age you'd have to say it is. Its become a firm favourite.

Craftsman
    I personally love the seamaster, I like the distinctive bracelet and the skeleton hands... the price now is crazy compared to what I paid 20 years ago for my bond quartz but it's still cheaper and easier to buy than a sub..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

You call it people not looking after it, they probably just call it enjoying it. There is also the chance that people who have no issue with scratches on their watch, well they probably are not too fussed about getting it tarted up.

Grand Master
    I think Omega made a mistake with the previous SMP ceramic by dropping the wavy dial in favour of a smooth one, I could never understand that. Resurrecting the wavy dial, albeit in a different design, is a smart move, it definitely works. I like the date at 6, it helps the symmetry of the dial. I don’t like the size increase to 42mm, together with the thickness it makes the watch too big for me.

The obvious trick Omega are missing is resurrection of the classic 2254.50 design, that could be very successful but I guess it would undermine the Planet Ocean.

I have a black Bond SMP, the pre- ceramic model, that was earmarked for the chop when I get around to smartening it up, but I’m now having second thoughts about keeping it!

Master
    I'm an omega fan and love the seamaster but when i looked at a blue dialed version of the latest I thought the blue was quite dark. I really wanted to love it, but since i was after a bright blue dialled watch I passed and ended up with a Pelagos. the seamster is lovely though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I love my Rose gold version and like the silver dial version also. I have just purchased the 007 edition. They are great watches and stunning value for the money.
    Me too ...glad there is another on this forum.
    I had put a deposit on the blue variant a week prior to the 007 release and then switched.
    In truth I probably preferred the black dial but my wife had persuaded me it was much the same as many of my other black dial watches. The 007 having the addition of gold got the thumbs up from my better half.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    You call it people not looking after it, they probably just call it enjoying it. There is also the chance that people who have no issue with scratches on their watch, well they probably are not too fussed about getting it tarted up.
    What does this add to the discussion? The point I’m making is that getting these watches refinished isn’t straightforward! If a watch is carefully looked after it picks up less scratches, if it isn’t looked after it gets battered, if one of these gets battered it’s not easy to put right.

Master
    With sword hands it would be perfect

Journeyman
    Stunning - Wear in good health

These are lovely watches.

I wasn’t massively keen until I tried one on and was immediately impressed. The watch feels very solid, I love the wavy dial and in black it really is a very handsome thing. The only thing that puts me off is the size. I can ‘get away’ with it but at 42mm it’s not sitting perfectly on my very small wrist. At 4K (less ??% discount) I want it to fit perfectly or at least very well. For anyone with more substantial wrists though, it’s an absolute cracker!

Congratulations on the purchase. I hope you enjoy wearing it

What does this add to the discussion? The point I’m making is that getting these watches refinished isn’t straightforward! If a watch is carefully looked after it picks up less scratches, if it isn’t looked after it gets battered, if one of these gets battered it’s not easy to put right.
    I'm sure Omega could make it look good as new for a few £££s.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm sure Omega could make it look good as new for a few £££s.
    I assume there's a way of getting the bezel insert out without breaking it, If not, any marks or damage to the bezel could only be fixed with a new bezel. The pre-ceramics are easy to get apart, unfortunately the anodised aluminium inserts do get marked and there's no way to improve them.....I guess it's swings and roundabouts in terms of advantages /drawbacks with the ceramics.

Owing to the design the SMPs do pick up marks and scratches on the bezel itself and this can spoil the look of the watch. No point refinishing the case if the bezel still looks a mess.

At 4 grand these watches are expensive, no doubt about that, and they're never going to hold value in the way a Rolex would. If availability wasn`t an issue the Rolex Sub would be a better watch to buy, simply because of the rock-solid residual values. No matter how hard Omega try they'll never hold value like Rolex.

SMPs have always made good second-hand buys, but there always seems to be lots of scruffy ones around too.

Master
    Thanks for the nice comments guys.
    I’ve always been a Rolex fan boy but my last experience in an AD really made me think about looking at other brands.
    I’ve never looked at a Seamaster and thought I had to have it but wearing it is a different thing altogether.
    It’s my new daily after wearing both versions of the LV for the last 15 years

My first 'luxury' watch was the previous iteration of Omega Seamaster- since watching goldeneye when I was about 10 I had always fancied one. Sadly, it has long since gone but I currently feel like I might go full circle and get one of these new ones- they are stunning and the bracelet adjustment is fantastic.

I'm starting to think that the first 4 or 5 watches I owned are the true representation of what I like, before going down the rabbit hole of watch forum snobbery!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I'm starting to think that the first 4 or 5 watches I owned are the true representation of what I like, before going down the rabbit hole of watch forum snobbery!
    Yes, I can definitely relate to that!

I`ve been around the full circle and returned to what I liked 15 years ago, vintage Omegas excluding divers and chronos. Thankfully I kept my collection of old Omegas even when I`d lost interest, at one point I decided to focus purely on Rolex with a view to owning 5 or 6, that was around 2010/11 before the prices went silly, I always looked to buy used so it wasn`t a fortune to spend. Now I plan to keep one Rolex, but that's all, I sold one last year and I`m in the process of getting rid of another, which will leave me with just one that I`ll never sell.

It's easy to get sucked into the Rolex thing, they've made some iconic models that I still like, but I liked them a whole lot more when they were half the price! There's still nothing to touch them for residual values, but at the end of the day they're still only mass-produced watches and most of the current versions look like they've been on steroids.

2019 hasn't been a bad year watch-wise, managed to pick up a lovely Omega Constellation to replace the one I foolishly sold when suffering from 'Rolex-itis', and it's a better example too!

I`ll always have a soft spot for the pre-ceramic pre-co-axial SMP models, quality was excellent for the price, lots of different variants to choose from too. Straightforward movements that are easy to service, I have one on the bench at the moment in pieces. I own a rare bimetal version from 2003, that's a watch I`ll never sell, doesn`t get much wear but I always enjoy getting it out.

I`m sure the latest SMP will prove popular, quality's excellent and the current movements are capable of exceptional performance. Thesedays people expect a watch to feel chunky and substantial, that creates a perception of quality with buyers , and the SMP certainly ticks that box.

Master
    Does the new SMPc bracelet have the adjustable clasp fitted as standard?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yes it does.

Master
    My point was that you come across as someone working on watches, I wanted to convey the view of someone who just enjoy owning them. I imagine the vast majority of owners are not WIS who cry at every hairline. If I want a watch touched up, I'll just send it to someone who can do the job.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    My point was that you come across as someone working on watches, I wanted to convey the view of someone who just enjoy owning them. I imagine the vast majority of owners are not WIS who cry at every hairline. If I want a watch touched up, I'll just send it to someone who can do the job.
    I’m primarily a collector and enthusiast, I have been for 25 years, and I always will be. I’ve only worked on watches since 2012 but I’ve seen some very significant changes due to increasing costs and the restriction of parts availability.

When you want your watch ‘ touched up’ you’ll be faced with limited choices who to send it to. The big manufacturers want you to send it to them and be forced to pay for a full service whether the watch needs it or not, one way or another the independents are being squeezed out and eventually they won’t exist.

Turn the clock back a few years, a SMP cost around £1200, any half- decent repairer could service it properly and parts were freely available. If the bezel was damaged a replacement was available for £180, I fitted several for people. If the insert was OK the bezel could be refinished easily to give an acceptable result. Ownership of today’s £4k SMP is a different proposition, you’re tied in to Omega service costs because they’ve stopped the supply of parts, and the design of the bezel doesn’t lend itself to easy refinishing in the way that the older ones did.

Go ahead, buy the watch, if ‘ enjoy’ is a euphemism for treating it roughly by all means enjoy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    I’ve always been a Rolex fan boy but my last experience in an AD really made me think about looking at other brands.
    I’ve never looked at a Seamaster and thought I had to have it but wearing it is a different thing altogether.
    I get were you are coming from...my first taste in what i describe as luxury watches was an Omega Seamaster and i have always had a soft spot for them having owned a few.

I think this new model really hits the sweet spot and in my view is the best Omega have done for a long time.When it first came out i think it was around £3600 and can still be picked up for that if you shop around.

Compare that with my Rolex 126600 which is £8700 and a whopping 5k more...is the Rolex worth the extra...in my view no and whatever the Rolex fanboys think(and i still own a few) this for me is a far better watch IMHO.

I will be purchasing the Omega shortly and the Rolex may then be passed on(no please don't think this is a pre sales thread as my brother will be getting it)

Craftsman
    I’m so pleased with mine (same as OP but with rubber strap) it has been my daily wear since purchase in September from AD.

It oozes quality and a very accomplished design.

Master

The worst aspect is the price, £4K for a steel Seamaster pro seems crazy, even factoring in discounts they're looking expensive.
    Ceramic bezel & co-axial movement makes a Rolex Sub look ridiculously expensive then, but of course there's the resale value...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    My first 'luxury' watch was the previous iteration of Omega Seamaster- since watching goldeneye when I was about 10 I had always fancied one. Sadly, it has long since gone but I currently feel like I might go full circle and get one of these new ones- they are stunning and the bracelet adjustment is fantastic.

Similar experience.

Sept 2004, I become the proud owner of a 2254. Managed to get £100 quid off, £400 px for my Oris AND the balance on interest free...aah, those were the days.

I loved that watch, still to this day the one I kept the longest.....a miserable 4 years ! 15 years later and it goes to show how many watches I've flipped and how watch forum participation can be a very expensive and somewhat fruitless past time.

Sometimes, you just need to enjoy what ya got.
    Last edited by Gomers; 17th November 2019 at 20:56.

@Loupe what size is yours?

I seriously looked at the midsize that was recently on SC but couldn’t make my mind up plus I’ve never really considered the black version.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Stunning watches! Quite a pair. This thread has me looking more closely at this watch. I'd previously dismissed this originally due to the He valve mainly, but also the all round shininess/bling but the comments and pictures have got me thinking. At a time I'm trying to plan how I can aquire a ceramic sub, this comes into the equation!

Would love to hear any other real world feedback and I'll certainly be checking the Watchfinder video out.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Last edited by FellBasher; 16th November 2019 at 23:17.

If availability wasn`t an issue the Rolex Sub would be a better watch to buy, simply because of the rock-solid residual values. No matter how hard Omega try they'll never hold value like Rolex.
    I honestly don't even know why this is even an issue. If resale value was that important then nobody would buy German cars and they'd all be driving round in Toyotas.

I wish people could just buy what they like and not what they think will be worth the most down the line.

One could argue that if the availability was there then the residuals wouldnt be so high

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    @Loupe what size is yours?

I seriously looked at the midsize that was recently on SC but couldn’t make my mind up plus I’ve never really considered the black version.
    The watch is 42mm.
    It sits well and not as chunky as my SD43.