closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The ginger busker

Craftsman

The ginger busker

A couple of Ed’s watches. Hopefully talking watches episode coming soon.

And Now, A Message From Ed Sheeran https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...rom-ed-sheeran
    Last edited by Coronet king; 12th November 2019 at 22:21.

Master
    Loved this bit, nice touch.

‘P.S. I had a custom-engraved Tudor Black Bay made for every single one of my touring crew on the tour for the last gig – and it is currently my everyday watch while off tour. There's about 80 in existence, which I think is quite cool.’

Reminds me of when James Gandolfini gave all the cast and crew of The Sopranos an engraved Kobold watch. Cost him $2 million dollars!

A bit flat in my opinion, hopefully he'll talk and open up a bit more in future articles / talking watches.

Craftsman
    How did you get into watches Ed? Well, I had too much money, so I went and bought a Hublot Big Bang brand new from an AD like a professional footballer, then my mate gave me a Patek 5726...

Relatable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony23 View Post
    Loved this bit, nice touch.

‘P.S. I had a custom-engraved Tudor Black Bay made for every single one of my touring crew on the tour for the last gig – and it is currently my everyday watch while off tour. There's about 80 in existence, which I think is quite cool.’

Reminds me of when James Gandolfini gave all the cast and crew of The Sopranos an engraved Kobold watch. Cost him $2 million dollars!
    it's a standard thing. Stallone with his Panerai's or mark cavendish giving out some IWC's. Prob could be offset against taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    How did you get into watches Ed? Well, I had too much money, so I went and bought a Hublot Big Bang brand new from an AD like a professional footballer, then my mate gave me a Patek 5726...

Relatable.
    What's he supposed to do? Pretend he had to save up for months for a Seiko 5? I don't see why his enthusiasm is any less valid for him being rich. However he got into it, you share the same hobby.

Relatable.
    I think it's similar to most of us on some scale, he's just got a bit more excess cash than what I have. Anyway, geezer's got an eclectic mix accumulated on his travels with a $100 Sturmanskie Gagarin in the collection as well AL&S and custom Patrick Philip and I can certainly relate to that. The article has also improved my cool Dad status with my eldest daughter.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    What's he supposed to do? Pretend he had to save up for months for a Seiko 5? I don't see why his enthusiasm is any less valid for him being rich. However he got into it, you share the same hobby.
    My reading of the article, and just my opinion, but he doesn't come across as having any genuine enthusiasm for watches. Just buys them because he can, and because his friends convinced him that's what rich people do.

I could be wrong, that could be a million miles from the truth, but that's just the impression I got from the article.

Doesn't help that I dislike Ed Sheeran, and I dislike his first choice of watch (it is the default pick for people with no taste but lots of money who want to ostentatiously display the latter - again, just my opinion). The icing on the cake for me was the picture of the Patek he paid someone to (badly - seriously I could have done that better) apply some cheap red paint to...

Craftsman
    Maybe I'm being too hard on the ginger tosser.

He's just living his best life. Fair play to him.

I like him a lot despite not being a fan of the music. He promotes Médecins Sans Frontières at all of his gigs and is an annoyingly talented writer and performer. I can think of worse role models for my kids.

Fair play to him. I think he's just being a bit cautious and trying to not look like he's showing off, which is probably why his article appears a bit flat.

He does have a vintage Heuer as well: https://www.vintageheuer.com/barclay...to-ed-sheeran/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Fair play to him. I think he's just being a bit cautious and trying to not look like he's showing off, which is probably why his article appears a bit flat.

He does have a vintage Heuer as well: https://www.vintageheuer.com/barclay...to-ed-sheeran/
    I think you're right.

From memory his mum works at a high-end jewelers, which may have helped the interest.

Ed's always been marmite and I guess he watch collection is the same.

I remember his unsigned stuff and at being blown away by it. Now he's more mainstream pop/ hybrid. Not my cup of tea but find him harmless.

Does produce a good live show considering just him, saw him at Wembley -where I also think he had a commemorative tattoo and watch done.

If we all had his money guess we'd buy the same.

Least he has some variety compared to other 'talking watches - Patek & Rolex only as they hold value'.

Hublot comment - just shows the power of marketing/ brand awareness to the youth & those who aren't WIS.

He once done Top Gear and spoke how he bought all the tour guys cars as a thank you even though he doesn't drive.

Seems to be a honest if not very driven but generous guy.

Craftsman
    The quality of the dial printing on the Bamford Nautilus is absolutely awful!

Doesn't help that I dislike Ed Sheeran, and I dislike his first choice of watch (it is the default pick for people with no taste but lots of money who want to ostentatiously display the latter - again, just my opinion). The icing on the cake for me was the picture of the Patek he paid someone to (badly - seriously I could have done that better) apply some cheap red paint to...
    I like that he went out and bought what he liked without care for anyones opinion. It seems these days you have to ask the Forum what you should but with your £xxxx budget.

The Bamford, yes it's horrid but again, he wanted to give a custom Patek to someone special, so it's hard to argue the route he took - when cost and resale values don't enter the equation.

I guess it isn't too different from buying someone a present and keeping the receipt so they can't return it.

Here's a gift which is totally amazing but I've let someone with anger issues and a Crayola set go at it for a few days first so you can never sell or gift it on.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I like that he went out and bought what he liked without care for anyones opinion. It seems these days you have to ask the Forum what you should but with your £xxxx budget.

The Bamford, yes it's horrid but again, he wanted to give a custom Patek to someone special, so it's hard to argue the route he took - when cost and resale values don't enter the equation.
    Absolutely true. His obvious wealth makes him an easy and attractive target for some.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    and I dislike his first choice of watch (it is the default pick for people with no taste but lots of money who want to ostentatiously display the latter - again, just my opinion). The icing on the cake for me was the picture of the Patek he paid someone to (badly - seriously I could have done that better) apply some cheap red paint to...
    Hublot is always going to be an obvious target for nerds but they're decent and different. I have quite a soft spot for them.
    The all black aerofusion orlinski is the nuts but the big bang is what kicked them off so fair play to Sheeran imo.

He is a young lad with more money than he knows what to do with. His taste is just that, ie it is HIS taste.

He can have whatever he wants, but still does not seem to be 'flash' about it.

There will always be haters, but from what I gather he remains a very down to earth and generous bloke, who likes a beer and a laugh with his friends. He lives just around the corner from my old house and what he is doing to his own property is a bit odd (ie it certainly would not be to my taste), tree houses, basement tunnel to his own 'pub' etc, but that's up to him.

There is simply no consensus on what is tasteful (or otherwise!).

I quite like his idea to buy watches from the places he has been to remember it by.

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    The quality of the dial printing on the Bamford Nautilus is absolutely awful!
    This - bloody terrible looking thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    This - bloody terrible looking thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    To get a good finish with Hammerite has always been tricky😂

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the guy. Great collection and he clearly enjoys the hobby rather than just chucking money at a watch dealer.
    I think it's entirely relatable as it's very similar to my (and I dare say many others) way into the hobby. Not quite the same level of spend for me though!

Hope he does a Talking Watches.