closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coax

Coax

Had a couple of tv cable runs put in as part of an extension. Coax from a signal booster in the loft that is happily starving 4 feeds, this takes it to 6.

Bought some ‘decent’ 75 ohm cable, or so I thought.

Just in the final throws of the fit and hooked up a tv to one of the cables. Tuned it in and no free view HD channels.

TV has HD on existing aerial, new aerial stuff all or a very shaky reception.

Tested continuity nothing bridging between insulation and copper core. I crimped on the f-plugs, stripped all the copper shield back, not sure if this should be in contact with the plug or not, but it’s not.

Not best pleased, I ‘nearly’ tested the cable before it was all plastered in, what a mistake!

I’m going to buy a new booster to see if that makes any difference.

Any other things to check?

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Could be an unfortunately place nail in the wrong place? Tough to find a solution without doing anything destructive.

Craftsman
    I had to fit a mast head amp on my loft aerial to make up for the rubbish coax that is in the wall down to the socket. I have the power supply under the TV unit that boosts the signal enough to run 3 TVs.
    I used Televes branded stuff and it seems to work well
    Not sure if this is the right solution but works for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

In my expereince of coax the faults are almost always in the joints of the terminal connectors. I had a similar issue recently and traced it to a joint that I re-made.

I need some decent coax and connectors. Where is a good place to go for it?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Tested continuity nothing bridging between insulation and copper core. I crimped on the f-plugs, stripped all the copper shield back, not sure if this should be in contact with the plug or not, but it’s not.
    The cable screen needs to be in good contact with the body of the F type plug so if you have cut it all off then you will have a problem. There are loads of Youtube videos showing how to make off an F type; this one shows how to put on the twist on type. It's in German but it had the clearest video of the ones I looked at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikMGUtP96k

Most installers don't bother with crimp F types but if that's what you are using you need to check the termination procedure. To check if the cable is made correctly measure the resistance between center conductor & the plug body at both ends of the open cable; there should be no continuity. Then short the copper inner to the plug body at one end & measure at the other; this should now show a short circuit. If you don't get a short then either the cable is cut or you haven't made the ends off correctly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    I need some decent coax and connectors. Where is a good place to go for it?
    Try here:
    https://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinec...isc.html#Cable

Try bypassing the booster - we had a very marginal signal chez Browne with ours in-line. I removed it completely from the circuit and the signal strength improved massively.

It saying you’re will be the same issue, but it’s got to be worth a try, and costs nothing.

Master
    If bypassing the booster and re-making the connection doesn’t work then you may need a 4g signal inhibitor (or whatever it’s called). We had to get one fitted when we changed our setup and the signal from the coax was rubbish. The aerial installer I’d used initially put in a couple of these signal blockers and no issues since.

Thanks for the suggestions. The two new legs have been wired as the others had. Thought putting the copper shield in contact with the f-plug might make a difference, but no.

Got a new booster with 4G inhibitor to try, but it’s got to be the cable at fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Many thanks

I actually went to the electrical suppliers next to my office and bought coax and 2 female ends. £1.62!

10 mins of effort to fit them and I've not got 100 free view channels

Thanks too to the op who encouraged me to get it sorted (the stuff from pound land was pants)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Glad it's sorted.

For future reference, you can test the cable for a break by connecting shield and centre conductor at one end, and then testing for continuity between shield and centre conductor at the other end. Similarly, with nothing connected at either end, then should be infinite resistance between shield and centre conductor.

I had a similar problem and ended up taking out of the circuit the bedrooms as we dont have tvs there and still had a bad picture
    it was the DVB tuner in the TV in the end - a month after the warranty went too - many hours faffing about as I was convinced it was the coax when all i had to do was swap tvs from the kitchen to the living room and see it was not the cable

Master
    Good to hear you got it sorted - and at a very reasonable rate too!

Enjoy your new Freeview channels.