closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Rolex warranty dilemma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Is that a PM piece? I thought cards were only retained for SS models?
    White gold Daytona, might be the exception to the (probably non existent) rule!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Imagine buying a new car and the dealer refusing to hand over the V5 for a year.

Or the deeds to a house.

And people queue up to be treated like this?

An octopus has fewer suckers than a Rolex AD

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    How many more rules will they put on what their customers are allowed to do with their own property?
    One AD said he asks customers to wear the watch to the store regularly to prove continuing ownership. Yes of course mate I have plenty of time and endless money for fuel and parking.

OP - if you cannot find the photocopy, ask the AD for a letter/receipt on headed paper detailing the watch, date of purchase and more importantly, the serial number. Should a situation arise as mentioned by HM, you at least have verification of the serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    One AD said he asks customers to wear the watch to the store regularly to prove continuing ownership
    The line between satire and reality is increasingly blurred.

Those that choose to play the game deserve the pain.

Utter madness.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Is that a PM piece? I thought cards were only retained for SS models?
    Yes it’s PM..... I nearly bought a PM Pepsi instead, and was told the card would be retained for that model as well... Basically I think they keep the card for anything from the professional range.

I got the cards on collection with my TT Datejust, but as we know the DJ is from the classic range.👍

Craftsman
    One AD said he asks customers to wear the watch to the store regularly to prove continuing ownership. Yes of course mate I have plenty of time and endless money for fuel and parking.

I did offer the AD the chance to come and view my collection at home , just to confirm I still owned every Rolex I’d bought was still in my ownership , never been taken up on it surprisingly enough.

A nice bluff to try if you’re that way inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    The line between satire and reality is increasingly blurred.
    When the market turns this is all going to make for hilarious archive reading.

Thank you sir that will be 28k for your mass produced wristwatch, we will, of course, be retaining your watch guarantee card in our safe/filing cabinet/storeroom/kitchen drawer for 2 years so you don't form the opinion that 28k gives you the slightest right to dispose of your property even in the event that you become desperate to liquidate your assets.

Furthermore you will be required to report for a wrist inspection every 3 months (more frequently at our discretion) and should you fail to meet this very reasonable ownership criteria we will black list you...sir.

Please note that PM purchases in no way qualify for any preferential treatment for our even more rare stainless steel models.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    I did offer the AD the chance to come and view my collection at home , just to confirm I still owned every Rolex I’d bought was still in my ownership , never been taken up on it surprisingly enough.

If I were AD I’d suggest a group shot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If I were you, I’d suggest the AD is shot.
    fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post

"Do you want to come to my house and see my Rolex collection? I still have all of them. We can drink tea and talk movements."

"No. Absolutely not. Why on earth would you even ask that? Just buy some two tone datejusts at list and leave me alone"

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    When the market turns this is all going to make for hilarious archive reading.
    This. Ebay is full of old fur coats and pocket watches -- items that 50 or a 100 years ago were seriously expensive items. Now you can barely give them away.

What makes something valuable? One or more of the following: utility /necessity (e.g. housing) and/or genuine scarcity (not simply demand but actual shortage of supply, preferably not one created by restricting supply -- a trick to increase demand but a horribly short-term tactic) and/or intrinsic value (eg it's made of gold or whatever)

You think today's teens and twenty-somethings have grown up with watches?

Vintage watches might prove to be a good investment but mass-produced and overpriced Veblen goods?

I can't see it myself. I might be wrong but let's just say I haven't invested my pension in watches much less in new Rolex SS sports models.

But you might think differently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    When I picked up my BLNR a couple of months ago, I asked for a photocopy of the warranty card. They said it was the first time they had been asked for that.
    It seems pretty standard if you look at all the flippers selling on eBay.

As a matter of interest I have just got back from a chat with the long standing manager at DMR in Altrincham. They hold three of my warranty cards currently.

I asked him what would be the outcome if they misplaced one of my cards to which he assured me that has never happened and will never happen, hmm ok thanks.

I shared with him the Pragnell's tale of woe and he confirmed that in his experience Rolex will never issue a replacement card for a lost card, the watch would have to be sent for a service if papers were needed or rely on the purchase receipt.

Somehow I can foresee more angst in the future given the number of cards now held at AD's all over the place on behalf of customers.
    Last edited by petay993; 21st November 2019 at 15:02. Reason: typo

SydR
    Glad my AD didn’t lose mine and I traveled to collect it in person. They did offer to post it but stated that, if lost, it could not be replaced. So I jumped on a train.

One AD said he asks customers to wear the watch to the store regularly to prove continuing ownership.
    An opportunity to see whether an AD can spot a fake

Master
    Much simpler if AD's kept the watch for one year and gave you the warranty card. They couldn't lose a watch in a big box could they?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Much simpler if AD's kept the watch for one year and gave you the warranty card. They couldn't lose a watch in a big box could they?
    Or just stop this nonsense altogether? Has it really even had any impact on the flippers?

Journeyman
    A final update, I got my Omega today and a letter from the dealer confirming the 10 year warranty. It also explicitly stated that the first service would be free (that point was a little vague before). I think it worked out well,( I know some don't agree) if they found my card and offered to swap it for the watch discount, service and extended warranty i would say no thanks. I have learnt a lot from this though, and I would never let a dealer keep a warranty again under any circumstances.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happy for you, OP
    You may or may not have had a slight monetary loss overall but atleast you are happy with the outcome.
    Better to be happy without a warranty card than be sad and bitter in pursuit of a warranty card.
    I don’t think you are hard done by overall considering everything.

The only thing left now is to post some photos of your Omega. Congrats on your purchase.

Journeyman
    not great pictures I'm afraid, look at the size of that instruction book!

That will need a big cup of coffee and a few custard creams.

I am having visions of your warranty card turning up... at home.

In full Sedna Gold that is going to have some serious wrist presence OP.

Make sure you get it insured for the full amount!

We don't want any more tales of woe

Quote Originally Posted by lambs View Post
    not great pictures I'm afraid, look at the size of that instruction book!

I assume you got your warranty card with this one

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Or just stop this nonsense altogether? Has it really even had any impact on the flippers?

Not in the slightest, if that’s really the aim then it’s failed miserably.

My watch had its guarantee card with held for 12 months , yet I was looking at a brand new watch at a grey dealer that was offered by them including a guarantee card .

To add insult to injury, the watch had been supplied a few days previously by the same dealer that I’d bought mine from.

One rule for one .....

Sadly dadam that says more about you than Oracle.

I also work in the Jewellery trade and find there are frequent misconceptions displayed by people about the industry.

Often it is as simple as those who earn their livings from time worked as an added value rather than a commodity/item adding value just not understanding.........

Many I know who work with watch companies are tied into onerous practices and restrictions by the brands themselves.

Best

JW
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Not one and I’m p’d off that you dare ask me.
    If you didn’t live abroad (judging from how you spell grey) you could come and see why not.
    If it’s said tongue in cheek try the other cheek.
    I’ve given my honest opinion and was leaving it at that but obviously some people are more ignorant and cynical than others.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm picking up a polar Explorer next week and have been told I need to sign a waiver saying I won't sell it for 3 years. The warranty card wasn't mentioned, I'm assuming they don't keep it for 3 years. It won't impact me as I don't sell, but I would find that a tad annoying.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'm picking up a polar Explorer next week and have been told I need to sign a waiver saying I won't sell it for 3 years. The warranty card wasn't mentioned, I'm assuming they don't keep it for 3 years. It won't impact me as I don't sell, but I would find that a tad annoying.
    This is now starting to get really silly!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    This is now starting to get really silly!

It got really silly years ago!

Master
    Or what? They black list you? How do they know if you've sold it anyway? It is all daft, the prices/flippers/greys drive a lot of demand surely, so I'm unconvinced about tales of ADs and Rolex trying to stamp it out. Some probably prefer to sell watches direct to customers to wear and enjoy but I suspect many really don't mind who they sell to and very much like the strong demand created at the moment.

you should ask for an amendment stating that should you need to liquidate assets they will purchase the watch back off you at market rate for a full set which includes the warrantee card.

*tbh if i was going to spend x thousands on a watch and they told me i could not have a warrantee card or could not sell for x years i would just laugh and walk out .

I bought a John Mayer Daytona recently and they made me sign an affidavit saying I will not sell it for five years and I have to send a picture of the watch with a newspaper showing the date every month and they retained the hang tag and removed the stickers. I agreed and asked them if there were additional conditions they wanted me to fulfill:-)

Probably soon be a requirement to don an ankle bracelet like parolees or cons under house arrest, so 'they' know it's not leaving the state or country of purchase...

Master
    I cant believe people are that desperate for a watch that they'd actually sign something like this, are you signing it?

Craftsman
    Has made interesting reading

got my Warranty card to pick up from Pragnells in December. I do have a photocopy of it

A very interesting thread. I'm thankful that after a change of lifestyle I'm no longer in the market for a new Rolex, as I can't afford it currently and all the shenanigans with warranty cards are simply ridiculous.

However I'm pleased the OP is happy with his deal, as a free service in five years time is going to be a good saving!

The thread has also prompted me to photograph my warranty cards, sales receipts and service cards, as proof of ownership / purchase in case of a future insurance claim. Something I should have done years ago. So thanks everyone.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Both Pragnells and Rolex have let the customer down in this scenario.

They should have put steps in place to cover such a scenario, which is likely to become more common as long as this ridiculous stipulation of retaining guarantee cards remains in place.

We all accept that mistakes are made but the way in which Rolex have (not) dealt with this is lamentable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I bought a John Mayer Daytona recently and they made me sign an affidavit saying I will not sell it for five years and I have to send a picture of the watch with a newspaper showing the date every month and they retained the hang tag and removed the stickers. I agreed and asked them if there were additional conditions they wanted me to fulfill:-)
    This is pure gold

Rolex warranty dilemma

Last edited by goregasm; 22nd November 2019 at 12:29. Reason: Wrong thread!

Master
    I wonder how they would feel if the buyer suggested they would retain 15% of purchase price until the warranty card is handed over in a years time, If Rolex want the warranty card retained for whatever reason why don’t they keep it and send it direct to the buyer from Rolex HQ? Why send them with the watch if they aren’t going to be given at time of sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I wonder how they would feel if the buyer suggested they would retain 15% of purchase price until the warranty card is handed over in a years time, If Rolex want the warranty card retained for whatever reason why don’t they keep it and send it direct to the buyer from Rolex HQ? Why send them with the watch if they aren’t going to be given at time of sale.
    I like your suggestion, I guess Rolex like to pull the puppet strings rather than be involved in the process but then in this digital age why do we even need a bit of plastic?

Is that Laings. My understanding is that they ask you to sign a contract stating not to sell in three years but if you do want to part with it they will buy it off you at market value. They mentioned offering a large premium for a Daytona.You get the warranty card.

My understanding is that Rolex drive this nonsense. If say a Daytona is flipped immediately they get the hump with the AD and fine them by holding back on Daytona’s for a while. By holding the warranty card they are protected to a certain degree as there is no way of telling where the watch was sourced by the department at Rolex that is hunting for the flippers.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Ask the AD for a picture of the affidavit and warranty card with a newspaper showing the date, every month. One needs to ensure nothing is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    By holding the warranty card they are protected to a certain degree as there is no way of telling where the watch was sourced by the department at Rolex that is hunting for the flippers.
    Andy
    Interesting idea. But isn't the serial number registered centrally when the watch is sold?

Yes. If you walked into St James with just the watch with a warranty issue they would look up the serial number and then take the watch in no problem.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    This. Ebay is full of old fur coats and pocket watches -- items that 50 or a 100 years ago were seriously expensive items. Now you can barely give them away.

What makes something valuable? One or more of the following: utility /necessity (e.g. housing) and/or genuine scarcity (not simply demand but actual shortage of supply, preferably not one created by restricting supply -- a trick to increase demand but a horribly short-term tactic) and/or intrinsic value (eg it's made of gold or whatever)

You think today's teens and twenty-somethings have grown up with watches?

Vintage watches might prove to be a good investment but mass-produced and overpriced Veblen goods?

I can't see it myself. I might be wrong but let's just say I haven't invested my pension in watches much less in new Rolex SS sports models.

But you might think differently.
    Double this. Be circumspect!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Yes. If you walked into St James with just the watch with a warranty issue they would look up the serial number and then take the watch in no problem.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    that is my experience. Didn’t need the card with me. They even updated the ownership to my name on the spot on their records.

The warranty is with the watch not the person, before we go down that rabbit hole.

Blog Entries
    Ask the AD for a picture of the affidavit and warranty card with a newspaper showing the date, every month. One needs to ensure nothing is lost.
    Ha bravo, this is a great suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Interesting idea. But isn't the serial number registered centrally when the watch is sold?
    Yes, but if there is no warranty card there is no serial number evident for it to be traced back to a particular AD.