closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex warranty dilemma

Journeyman

Rolex warranty dilemma

Last year I bought a new GMT 2 from an authorised dealer after being on a waiting list for a while. The dealer told me they would keep the warranty card for a year and then send it to me (apparently this is a policy to prevent people selling watches for a profit as soon as they get them). The year expired, so i asked for my warranty card and I was told it has been lost. Apparently Rolex refused to replace the warranty card so the dealer has given me 2 options, but I'm not sure which one to accept.

option a:
    return the watch for a full refund.

option b:
    keep the watch and the dealer will give me a 10 year warranty instead of the standard 5 (but the warranty will be with them not Rolex and there will be no warranty card) and the first service will be free.

As I regularly sell my watches to buy others, I will almost certainly want to sell this at some point, so should I take option a or b?
    will the dealer 10 year warranty be worth more or less than the rolex warranty when I try to sell it?

Craftsman
    Warranty cards can be replaced. I would just push harder.

I would be surprised if Rolex would refuse to replace the card if the dealer has admitted to them that they lost it. If you return for a refund you can be sure that the dealer will then be selling it as preowned for a tidy profit.
    I’d push harder or say that you will happily return it but for a replacement only.

Contact Rolex head office and explain what the AD is telling you. Sounds like BS to me.

Master
    There are set rates for main agents who need to replace cards under different circumstances.

If this story is true and not just bait for the forum, one might indeed wonder whether the main agent wanted to have the watch back for his own ends...

What model is it?

Which main agent is it?
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 12th November 2019 at 18:00.

Sue the dealer for being a group of bell ends and losing it for you.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I would be surprised if Rolex would refuse to replace the card if the dealer has admitted to them that they lost it. If you return for a refund you can be sure that the dealer will then be selling it as preowned for a tidy profit.
    I’d push harder or say that you will happily return it but for a replacement only.
    Do you think a one year old watch is worth more than it's purchase price? and if it is, would an official Rolex dealer try to sell a used one for more than they are selling a new watch? the worlds gone mad!

Master
    i tend to agree, is the AD trying it on?

I'd say return for new replacement, if they refuse, try rolex uk and see what they say. however, you have the purchase receipt i assume, or the AD can reproduce one, that plus a rolex service paper is as good as the original warranty, so the AD offer of free service, so long as its with rolex, plus a 10 year warranty from the AD is a decent offer which i'd not be upset with. in all reality though its just the service they are paying for....chances of a fault appearing are low.

Quote Originally Posted by lambs View Post
    Do you think a one year old watch is worth more than it's purchase price? and if it is, would an official Rolex dealer try to sell a used one for more than they are selling a new watch? the worlds gone mad!
    Mad to think that a warranty card itself has any value.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    There are set rates for main agents who need to replace cards under different circumstances.

If this story is true and not just bait for the forum, then, one might indeed wonder whether the main agent wanted to have the watch back for his own ends...

What model is it?

Which main agent is it?
    this is the email I received, the dealer is Pragnells in stratford on avon. the model is a GMT Master II 116710LN .

I hope you are well, apologies for my late response.

Unfortunately the guarantee has been mislaid and we are having trouble locating it. I realise this is not what you want to hear and I can only apologise, as it is a mystery as to its whereabouts. A full investigation has been carried out and no light has been shed on its whereabouts.

As Rolex has a five year guarantee, we will extend this to ten years which we will give you in writing. The Guarantee will cover the same as a Rolex guarantee and any work required will be completed at Rolex at our expense. Effectively we will also do your first service free of charge as this may need to be done between the six to ten year period from purchase.

As an alternative, as Rolex will not issue a duplicate guarantee, the only other option is for us to refund the watch to you at the price you paid.

Once again my apologies for this situation. Please advise how you wish me to proceed.

Yours sincerely.

Martin Cowen

Martin Cowen
    Digital Sales Manager

Master
    'Option b:
    keep the watch and the dealer will give me a 10 year warranty instead of the standard 5 (but the warranty will be with them not Rolex and there will be no warranty card) and the first service will be free.'

You should confirm with the dealer that the service and 10yr warranty is transfereable if you decide to take up this option, if not, and you move the watch on it could be worthless.,

Master
    "I believe that Rolex will supply a replacement warranty card under certain circumstances, albeit at a fee which the retailer must bear.

Under these circumstances, I believe that it is reasonable to ask that you approach Rolex UK in writing for a replacement card and copy me in to all correspondence.

I look forward to hearing from you presently.

Yours etc...
    "

By the way, why is the supply of this Rolex falling under their "Digital Sales Manager," I wonder?
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 12th November 2019 at 18:19.

I recently bought a bi-metal Sub' from Goldsmiths and it came complete with the warranty card and a ten year guarantee as standard.

I'd contact Rolex directly to be honest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Or,suggest the dealer supplies you a new watch exactly the same as the present one ,complete with warranty card.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    i tend to agree, is the AD trying it on?

I'd say return for new replacement, if they refuse, try rolex uk and see what they say. however, you have the purchase receipt i assume, or the AD can reproduce one, that plus a rolex service paper is as good as the original warranty, so the AD offer of free service, so long as its with rolex, plus a 10 year warranty from the AD is a decent offer which i'd not be upset with. in all reality though its just the service they are paying for....chances of a fault appearing are low.
    I believe this model has been discontinued (the all-black bezel GMT II) and I doubt they would replace it with a Pepsi or Batman (if they even have one), so I think replacement is a non-starter. I agree that a 10 year warranty is a good deal if I intended to keep the watch for a long time, but I would probably sell in the next 4-5 years so I wouldn't really benefit from it. What I am wondering is, at that point would a buyer accept the remainder of the dealer warranty (if it's transferable) as adequate compensation for the lack of a warranty card (some buyers are very fussy about these things even when the warranty has expired) The lack of a warranty card may make potential buyers suspicious.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    "I believe that Rolex will supply a replacement warranty card under certain circumstances, albeit at a fee which the retailer must bear.

Would you please approach Rolex UK in writing for a replacement card and copy me in to all correspondence?

Thankyou.

Yours etc..."

By the way, why is Rolex falling under "Digital Sales," I wonder?
    I dunno about the "digital sales" maybe that's just his job title, it wasn't bought or ordered online at all.

Master
    They can order a new card as Haywood said at cost to them, I had a new one ordered for a watch; as they got the details wrong on the card. Cost the AD approx £120.
    Last edited by shoppy; 12th November 2019 at 23:07.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    They can order a new card as Hayward said at cost to them, I had a new one ordered for another watch as they got the details wrong on the card. Cost the AD £120.
    If that is the case (which I have no doubt it is) then why would they tell me a lie? surely it isn't to save £120 since the service will cost more than that. There's also the fact that I won't buy another watch from them (I've bought 3 in the last year). It doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Contact Rolex head office and explain what the AD is telling you. Sounds like BS to me.
    This.
    Give it back to the dealer and it will be up for sale at a large markup
    The Rolex AD in Chichester has a standard black GMT2 in the front window next to the new display at £12.5k
    Was looking at it with paskinner yesterday

Master
    Warranty is with them, on todays volatile high street how long will it be valid?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

You’re 7 months late for April Fools buddy........
    Last edited by RJM25R; 13th November 2019 at 14:23.

Apprentice

Replacement card

If that is the case (which I have no doubt it is) then why would they tell me a lie? surely it isn't to save £120 since the service will cost more than that. There's also the fact that I won't buy another watch from them (I've bought 3 in the last year). It doesn't make sense to me.
    When I bought my Daytona the wrong postcode was entered on the guarantee card, my ad got a replacement which they paid for (£150) in 2016.

Master
    Do Pragnells have an outlet for used watches?
    If so, given that even original black ceramic GMTs are selling over RRP, one might conclude, if one was cynically minded, that they would buy it back from you at RRP and sell it as used for more.

Master
    This.

Blog Entries
    This. Contact Rolex direct.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Contact Rolex

They are NOT saying they will perform a free service either, simply making the point that if warranty work is required after 5 years, Rolex has a policy of generally requiring a service at the time of dealing with issues (for a watch out of their warranty) so will tell the dealer it has to be serviced too. NOT the same as offering to service as a matter of course.

I also agree with others in saying you cannot trust any High Street retailer will be in business in a number of years time, I'd want the balance of the 5 years from Rolex every time. It also makes the point to Rolex that by pushing retailers to adopt this practice, they are indirectly responsible for it being lost.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Contact Rolex

They are NOT saying they will perform a free service either, simply making the point that if warranty work is required after 5 years, Rolex has a policy of generally requiring a service at the time of dealing with issues (for a watch out of their warranty) so will tell the dealer it has to be serviced too. NOT the same as offering to service as a matter of course.

I also agree with others in saying you cannot trust any High Street retailer will be in business in a number of years time, I'd want the balance of the 5 years from Rolex every time. It also makes the point to Rolex that by pushing retailers to adopt this practice, they are indirectly responsible for it being lost.
    Good points. The consensus seems to be that the warranty they are offering is not as good as the original rolex warranty, and giving the watch back would be crazy since it's worth more than I paid for it and I can't get another one in exchange. So I will try and contact Rolex directly and get the warranty replaced. Thanks for the help.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Do Pragnells have an outlet for used watches?
    If so, given that even original black ceramic GMTs are selling over RRP, one might conclude, if one was cynically minded, that they would buy it back from you at RRP and sell it as used for more.
    Yes they do sell used watches and they have about 40 Rolex (what is that the plural?) listed at the moment, but none of them are the sports models and none are above list price.

Master
    Good points. The consensus seems to be that the warranty they are offering is not as good as the original rolex warranty, and giving the watch back would be crazy since it's worth more than I paid for it and I can't get another one in exchange. So I will try and contact Rolex directly and get the warranty replaced. Thanks for the help.
    No — have the retailer contact them. See wording above. Keep the retailer in the hot seat, but ever so courteously. No rush; enjoy your watch in the meantime. They will want you out of their hair soon enough. Follow that path and if you hit any problems, return and update us. At the moment, you have control and your correspondence is with the retailer alone. Keep it that way.

Craftsman
    Interesting points, particularly regarding the ADs warranty not being as desirable as direct from Rolex.

I was literally going to start a thread on this topic with a question - is the practice of withholding the warranty card in contravention of any trade/consumer law? The warranty forms part of ones purchase, yet the AD is controlling access to it by keeping the card? Sorry to hijack, and sounds like going directly to Rolex is the way forward!

Good luck!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suggest you follow Hayward's advice. You can always contact Rolex direct at a later time if that doesn't produce the desired outcome.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by humphriespaul View Post
    I was literally going to start a thread on this topic with a question - is the practice of withholding the warranty card in contravention of any trade/consumer law? The warranty forms part of ones purchase, yet the AD is controlling access to it by keeping the card?
    Great! It's been far too long since we had a 'the rights and wrongs of retaining the warranty card' thread.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...guarantee-card

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...after-sale-etc

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Card-retention

Maybe push the envelope with a thread about retaining hang tags? Oh wait, never mind.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...eping-hang-tag

Journeyman
    I had a quick look on the Rolex site and noted this in their FAQs section

Yes they do sell used watches and they have about 40 Rolex (what is that the plural?)
    It’s rollies init?

HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I rather think these restrictions are limited to retail customers only. I’m sure ADs have slightly more latitude with such things.

Craftsman
    You're not in any rush are you? I'd follow what Haywood is recommending and see how it pans out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Great! It's been far too long since we had a 'the rights and wrongs of retaining the warranty card' thread.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...guarantee-card

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...after-sale-etc

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Card-retention

Maybe push the envelope with a thread about retaining hang tags? Oh wait, never mind.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...eping-hang-tag
    Geez- thanks Sean. Sarcasm and lowest form of wit etc? Times have certainly changed around here in my interlude.....

Master
    I am amazed at this from such a well regarded AD as Pragnells although I must admit to being a little disconcerted that they declined to give me a receipt for my Submariner last month when I took it in for service by RSC.

I find it unfathomable that Rolex will not issue a duplicate card given these circumstances, especially as most ADs are now retaining paperwork for 12 months after sale. The loss of such paperwork by ADs cannot be unique.

I would follow Hayward’s advice in this instance.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 12th November 2019 at 23:16.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would take the 10 year warranty if I wanted to keep the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I would take the 10 year warranty if I wanted to keep the watch.
    Rolex have 10 years service intervals for new watches these days, so that warranty is practically worthless.

Get a new card or return the watch and request you get to buy a new professional steel model instead, it's the least they could do.

I bet the warranty card would be found if you decided to return the watch ;)

I’m with Haywood on this and also knowing this jeweller and having purchased from them they are long standing with a strong reputation so if it was me I would arrange contact the MD and ask for a meeting with him to explain the situation, face to face can often do the trick if you are up to it.
    Good luck
    Keith

Journeyman
    Option A
    losing the warranty card is just not acceptable. Might be some more backdrop to this.

Master
    I always though warranty cards were kept in the safe - until I picked up my Pepsi wc. It was produced from a cardboard box full of cards under one of the display cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by humphriespaul View Post
    Geez- thanks Sean. Sarcasm and lowest form of wit etc? Times have certainly changed around here in my interlude.....
    Many of us more regular visitors to the forum have become a little jaded with the Rolex warranty / hang-tags / stickers malarkey, hopefully the OP can resolve the issue to his / her / gender unresolved satisfaction.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Agree with the suggestion it should be escalated within the retailer. Unacceptable really, as are both the solutions offered by them!

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    ...Get a new card or return the watch and request you get to buy a new professional steel model instead, it's the least they could do.
    +1.

The AD may have given your warranty card to another customer by mistake. But with all the warranty cards and stickers 'rules', you would think they would have a robust process in place to ensure they are administered correctly.

As mentioned, a calm and considered approach is best, especially if you wish to buy another watch again in the future.

Craftsman
    this is the email I received, the dealer is Pragnells in stratford on avon. the model is a GMT Master II 116710LN .

I hope you are well, apologies for my late response.

Unfortunately the guarantee has been mislaid and we are having trouble locating it. I realise this is not what you want to hear and I can only apologise, as it is a mystery as to its whereabouts. A full investigation has been carried out and no light has been shed on its whereabouts.

As Rolex has a five year guarantee, we will extend this to ten years which we will give you in writing. The Guarantee will cover the same as a Rolex guarantee and any work required will be completed at Rolex at our expense. Effectively we will also do your first service free of charge as this may need to be done between the six to ten year period from purchase.

As an alternative, as Rolex will not issue a duplicate guarantee, the only other option is for us to refund the watch to you at the price you paid.

Once again my apologies for this situation. Please advise how you wish me to proceed.

Yours sincerely.

Martin Cowen

Martin Cowen
    Digital Sales Manager

A bit out of order posting that on here , as others have posted the contract is with the retailer and that’s who will sort it out at their expense, it’s hardly an insurmountable problem for them.

No need for anything else , in fact I’m surprised that you’ve had to come on here for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    The contract is with the retailer and that’s who will sort it out at their expense, it’s hardly an insurmountable problem for them.

No need for anything else , in fact I’m surprised that you’ve had to come on here for advice.
    ^^^^^ This.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    As an aside, can they even do that - retain your paperwork for 12 months?

I understand why they're doing it, but I'm just not sure where they'd stand if someone demanded they hand it over.