closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex warranty dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    As an aside, can they even do that - retain your paperwork for 12 months?

I understand why they're doing it, but I'm just not sure where they'd stand if someone demanded they hand it over.
    Back to page one.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    To echo what others are saying, I received an additional five year warranty from a UK AD on a new Rolex a couple of weeks ago without asking. Obviously a Rolex warranty and a retailer's warranty are two very different instruments.

Push for a replacement warranty card. If they are indeed available, I don't think anything else is acceptable.
    Last edited by Progressive; 13th November 2019 at 09:28.

If you are keeping it for 5 years, the original Rolex warranty will have expired. As a second hand buyer at that point, rather than a useless plastic card, I’d prefer the extra five years of warranty even if it is through the shop.

Option A isn't really an option is it? Why would you return it for an RRP refund when it can be sold for at least one and half times it's RRP?

Quote Originally Posted by lambs View Post
    Unfortunately the guarantee has been mislaid and we are having trouble locating it. I realise this is not what you want to hear and I can only apologise, as it is a mystery as to its whereabouts. A full investigation has been carried out and no light has been shed on its whereabouts.
    Either they need to look harder or they've got an issue with one of their members of staff. I don't know how someone working in retail could bring themselves to take out their shrinkage on a customer.

Here's a third option they could do: acquire a mint watch with full B+P of the same age, and swap it for your watch. They would then sell your watch, at a loss, and have to suck it up as an expensive bit of education.

option a:
    return the watch for a full refund.
    "Hi we've either lost or stolen your belongings. Fortunately we've thought of a way of profiting from this situation"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Martin Cowen at Pragnells is an honourable guy. I have purchased Rolexs from him before. I think it's a decent offer and as long as the 10 year warranty is transferable, I would accept this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Writing as a dealer, such a watch without its warranty card is currently worth significantly less than one which has it. The extended, secondary warranty offered by the dealer would not in my opinion be commensurate with that difference in value.

The OP loses nothing by respectfully asking that the retailer communicates on the record with Rolex UK as suggested above and shares the correspondence with the OP. Any reticence or refusal to do as much might invite many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    There are set rates for main agents who need to replace cards under different circumstances.

If this story is true and not just bait for the forum, one might indeed wonder whether the main agent wanted to have the watch back for his own ends...

What model is it?

Which main agent is it?
    My idea as well. I'd like to buy it back at face value if I was an AD ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    A bit out of order posting that on here , as others have posted the contract is with the retailer and that’s who will sort it out at their expense, it’s hardly an insurmountable problem for them.

No need for anything else , in fact I’m surprised that you’ve had to come on here for advice.
    Except that the retailer is refusing to sort it out at their expense. No it isn’t an insurmountable problem for them but they have declined, so far, to address it. So what would you do? Just suck it up?

Coming on here for advice seems an eminently sensible thing to do.

Master
    What is the difference in value between the watch with warranty card and one without on the 2nd hand market? That is the compensation i would be looking for in cash + a 5 (or 10 if they would do it) year warranty with the AD.

That assumes they are telling the truth and the card cant be replaced but I would also be talking directly to Rolex first.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    What is the difference in value between the watch with warranty card and one without on the 2nd hand market? That is the compensation i would be looking for in cash + a 5 (or 10 if they would do it) year warranty with the AD.

That assumes they are telling the truth and the card cant be replaced but I would also be talking directly to Rolex first.
    Impossible to answer with an exact figure, especially when comparing watches from different sellers is so misleading. It is much simpler for the OP to push for the solution which leaves no room for argument : a replacement card at the retailer's cost.

If approached directly as you suggest, expect Rolex simply to refer the OP back to the retailer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Warranty is with them, on todays volatile high street how long will it be valid?
    Indeed. I'd value a 10 year warranty from an AD as utterly worthless. Who knows if the business will be around in 10 years or will have lost their own records of the warranty!

No matter what the AD themselves claim, they cannot guarantee to be around in 10 years time. Also bear in mind that they promised to keep the warranty card safe but still failed to do so. It might not be wise to take their word.

If ADs are insisting on keeping warranty cards then they must be compelled to keep them safely or bear all costs of replacing them.

As observed by others, if this watch goes back it will sold on at a profit. That would actually be a reward to the AD for losing the OP's property, part of the package that he paid for.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 13th November 2019 at 13:36.

Blog Entries
    A bit out of order posting that on here
    Not at all. It is completely reasonable for a consumer to post such correspondence when looking for advice.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 13th November 2019 at 13:12.

Master
    A bit out of order posting that on here , as others have posted the contract is with the retailer and that’s who will sort it out at their expense, it’s hardly an insurmountable problem for them.
    I, too, am unclear why you think the OP was out of order publishing that correspondence.

As for the retailer "sorting it out at their own expense," one of the only solutions they have offered might well be to their significant profit.

As soon as the proposal of retaining warranty cards was floated, what main agent considering it didn't see the WARNING sign and hear the DISASTER klaxon alerting everyone to the likelihood that they would be lost before collection, the problems this would bring -- and what solutions might be needed?
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 13th November 2019 at 13:11.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    "Hi we've either lost or stolen your belongings. Fortunately we've thought of a way of profiting from this situation"
    This, very plausibly.

Keeping warranty cards or other parts of the package is, in my view, fundamentally dishonest. It is treating the customer with disrespect. It is poor customer service. I seem to recall from previous threads here on TZ-UK that Pragnells was one of the first ADs carrying out this disreputable practice. Losing warranty cards hardly improves the reputation of ADs who pull this trick.

Note that I am aware of their excuses for doing this sort of thing but I do not consider them valid. Their possible problems with their supplier should not, under any circumstances, be inflicted on the customer.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 13th November 2019 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This, very plausibly.

Keeping warranty cards, or other parts of the package is, in my view, fundamentally dishonest. It is treating the customer with disrespect. It is poor customer service. I seem to recall from previous threads here on TZ-UK that Pragnells was one of the first ADs carrying out this disreputable practice. Losing warranty cards hardly improves the reputation of ADs who pull this trick.

Note that I am aware of their excuses for doing this sort of thing but I do not consider them valid. Their possible problems with their supplier should not, under any circumstances, be inflicted on the customer.
    100%!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Many of us more regular visitors to the forum have become a little jaded with the Rolex warranty / hang-tags / stickers malarkey, hopefully the OP can resolve the issue to his / her / gender unresolved satisfaction.
    Agree re: OPs problem. Apologies for boring the forum with a genuine question! A simple direction towards historical prior discussions would have been very kind of Sean, being sarcastic wasn’t really needed!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would always follow Haywoods advice with anything Rolex.

As usual with Rolex it’s down to money on a re sale,I said 10 year warranty as I would buy the watch as a watch to wear.

They have lost the warranty card it belongs to you,that’s outrageous.
    The more I think about it they should replace it at their cost,give you the warranty and even compensate you more.

Craftsman
    If the watch is a keeper

Option "B" for me

Master
    This, very plausibly.

Keeping warranty cards or other parts of the package is, in my view, fundamentally dishonest. It is treating the customer with disrespect. It is poor customer service. I seem to recall from previous threads here on TZ-UK that Pragnells was one of the first ADs carrying out this disreputable practice. Losing warranty cards hardly improves the reputation of ADs who pull this trick.

And yet, bewilderingly, people keep coming back for more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    And yet, bewilderingly, people keep coming back for more.
    As I often say, each to their own. It seems that enough people are either not bothered by it or are willing to put up with it to get the watch they want.

As I often say, each to their own. It seems that enough people are either not bothered by it or are willing to put up with it to get the watch they want.
    It is more a case of people not looking to/willing to/wanting to buy it getting bent out of shape over it while those looking to buy it accept it as a part of a less than perfect process of buying a watch they covet.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    100% i would follow Haywoods advice and ask that the retailer supply a replacement card at their cost.

Theyre either being shady or tight by not doing so in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by humphriespaul View Post
    Agree re: OPs problem. Apologies for boring the forum with a genuine question! A simple direction towards historical prior discussions would have been very kind of Sean, being sarcastic wasn’t really needed!
    No need to apologise. This is the first instance of chickens coming home to roost and takes the previous discussions to another level. It’s therefore a perfectly valid thread topic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is more a case of people not looking to/willing to/wanting to buy it getting bent out of shape over it while those looking to buy it accept it as a part of a less than perfect process of buying a watch they covet.
    ROFL!

Here we are in a thread that highlights one of the real world problems caused by ADs keeping warranty cards and yet you still claim that those who take the view that such practices are poor customer service and who warn about them are "getting bent out of shape". Hmm... interesting.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 13th November 2019 at 17:29.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This is the first instance of chickens coming home to roost and takes the previous discussions to another level. It’s therefore a perfectly valid thread topic.
    As I recall, it's actually the second such instance. I remember that someone has previously complained here on TZ-UK that their Rolex AD lost their retained warranty card.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    100%!
    Indeed ,having seen exactly this watch in the used window of Austins(3 feet away from the new stock)in Chichester at £12.5k I'm sure they'd love to take it off your hands at list.

Geez- thanks Sean. Sarcasm and lowest form of wit etc? Times have certainly changed around here in my interlude.....
    I appear to have hurt your feelings. Sorry for that.

Master
    OP - If I were in your shoes then I’d 100% listen to Haywoods advice, I doubt you’ll get a more informed opinion as what to do under circumstances such as they are. Good luck

Craftsman
    Personally wouldn’t be happy with either option, returning the watch you probably waited years for , or keeping it without its original warranty card, I think either option there getting off lightly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the warranty card cannot be located or replaced then I would expect the dealer to exchange your watch for a new replacement or the now equivalent if your model has been discontinued.

The card is important to collectors for the ‘full set’ even if it has no intrinsic value. I would want the card. The other option could be that they stick it in the window for £9k and give the whole £9k to you when it sells, that is the fair equivalent to option one.

Master
    Lambs, can you give us any update as to what you've now done / any response received ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Except that the retailer is refusing to sort it out at their expense. No it isn’t an insurmountable problem for them but they have declined, so far, to address it. So what would you do? Just suck it up?

Coming on here for advice seems an eminently sensible thing to do.

He’s been given loads of advice on here , wonder if he’s taken any of it on board ?

Master

Rolex warranty dilemma

You would have to imagine that with the advent of retained warranty cards, this will be by no means be the last such loss and that Rolex would have a mechanism in place for legitimate requests from ADs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    You would have to imagine that with the advent of retained warranty cards, this will be by no means be the last such loss and that Rolex would have a mechanism in place for legitimate requests from ADs.
    Was the temporary confiscating of warranty cards a Rolex directive or has it been purely AD driven?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Was the temporary confiscating of warranty cards a Rolex directive or has it been purely AD driven?
    A recommendation rather than directive according to this letter posted by 33JS in this thread https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=rolex

Blog Entries
    Cool thanks, i guess they do have some responsibility in this to put right.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    Option A isn't really an option is it? Why would you return it for an RRP refund when it can be sold for at least one and half times it's RRP?
    Crazy really, even when the card is missing?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm probably the odd one out here. Absolutely follow Hayward's advice but ultimately if I was sitting on such a big increase in value and the card was important to me I would ultimately offer to pay the cost of replacement.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Lambs, can you give us any update as to what you've now done / any response received ?
    Well to be honest, I was reluctant to post anymore on here because it seems whatever anyone says seems to offend somebody. But since yourself and others gave me helpful advice regarding my initial post (basically push back harder to insist on a replacement warranty rather than accept either option offered by AD), I thought I should update you. Here is an excerpt from an email I sent to the dealer on Wednesday 13/11/2019 which is an amalgamation of the advice I was given on here, If it seems blunt, bear in mind there was some polite preamble which I have not bothered to copy.:

I am unhappy with each option you have given me for the following reasons:
    option 1 return the watch for my money back.
    1. I wouldn't be able to buy a replacement as this version is discontinued, the waiting list is too long for any other model and the price has gone up.
    2.As you will be aware the watch is now worth more than I paid for it (I see them being listed at £12,500) so it would be crazy to return it for my money back.
    option 2 dealer warranty for 10 years
    1.There is no guarantee you will still be in business for the length of the warranty
    2.If I sold the watch would the warranty be transferable? even if it is, what good is it to a buyer who lives a long way away or abroad?
    3. since rolex recommend 10 year service intervals I probably won't benefit from the extra 5 years or the free 1st service (which I believe is contingent on the watch having a fault that requires a repair)
    4. even after the warranty expires the warranty card has a value to pre-owned buyers as provenance, that your warranty would not.

May I suggest these options instead:

option 1 Contact Rolex UK explain what happened and ask them to issue a new card ( I have heard it has been done before for a fee)
    option 2 exchange my rolex for a new one and you sell mine as pre-owned. (any mens model from these: GMT Master 2, datejust 41, sky dweller, sea dweller, yachtmaster 40 or submariner date)

I have yet to receive a response.

for the posters who have complained about me starting another thread about warranty cards, or been offended by my posting a portion of an email from an authorised dealer (which was not private correspondence) I would just like to apologise for annoying/offending you, it wasn't my intention I just didn't know any better.

Blog Entries
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't taking a full refund on your GMT and buying a DJ41 outright a better option than then providing you with a DJ41? I haven't checked current price of DJ41 but surely you'd end up with a watch and spare change. Keep us posted and good luck.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I'm probably the odd one out here. Absolutely follow Hayward's advice but ultimately if I was sitting on such a big increase in value and the card was important to me I would ultimately offer to pay the cost of replacement.
    firstly, why should I offer to pay for their mistake? (if they had given me the warranty on the day I purchased the watch this wouldn't have happened)
    secondly, of course the card is important to me, the warranty card isn't just a card, it is the actual warranty (for the first 5 years) so of course it is important to me (and anyone else who I might sell the watch to). And even after the warranty has expired, the card itself has a value when the watch is being sold (if you are claiming that as a buyer you wouldn't expect to pay a lower price for a rolex without a warranty card then you are full of sh*t).

OP- that is a good email and hopefully it will bring forth a positive response.
    Not that I am a judge of anything but your original post is fine and valid IMO.
    Not all Rolex related posts are unwelcome, only pointless repetitive ones. Yours cannot be classified as such,IMO.

Master
    Lambs,

Good communication only thing is I would not have given the dj41 as an option as I have been able to get one when I have asked for one within 2 weeks when I have wanted one; even the allegedly elusive blue dial option.

The other options are good particularly if you like them.

Simon

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't taking a full refund on your GMT and buying a DJ41 outright a better option than then providing you with a DJ41? I haven't checked current price of DJ41 but surely you'd end up with a watch and spare change. Keep us posted and good luck.
    I may have made a mistake. Is there not a waiting list for a DJ41? are they cheaper than GMT II ? Well, I like them anyway so I'll take that deal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    firstly, why should I offer to pay for their mistake? (if you are claiming that as a buyer you wouldn't expect to pay a lower price for a rolex without a warranty card then you are full of sh*t).
    No need to get shirty pal. I did say take Hayward's advice. That said you have indicated the AD has refused to supply a replacement (they may be taking the view that they can cover your Rolex warranty without a physical card - just guessing). My point was purely stating the obvious (in my mind) that if the AD won't replace the card, I would offer to pay their cost (which is why I said I am probably the odd one out). That's all from me you'll be glad to hear.

Craftsman
    The DJ41 in all steel is less than half the price your watch would go for on the secondary market at the moment.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    The DJ41 in all steel is less than half the price your watch would go for on the secondary market at the moment.
    in fairness, I dropped a bollock there. I didn't realise there was a datejust without a fluted bezel. Live and learn.

You could ask for a proper valuation from a reliable third party of the watches current resale value with the card and without. The difference is what your warranty card is worth. They have lost property that belongs to you and they must either find/replace the card or pay you the money. This is not unreasonable and would likely be enforceable in a County Court if you took legal action. The liability lies with them because they did not show due care in safeguarding property in their care that is owned by you. Imagine it as comparable to them loosing the watches bracelet or spare links.

As a third option the dealer can source you a new replacement of exactly the same model but a complete set and do a like for like swap. You should be able to keep the current one until he provides the replacement. This option will solve your problem and allow the dealer to sell your watch as second hand for above RRP so is a win for everyone.

The dealer’s suggested options are not something that you should accept. Also remember by accepting a less valuable model you are also loosing money. For example if you had the card, you could sell the watch at the market rate then buy a DJ41 giving you far more money left over than accepting an exchange for a DJ41 based on RRP of your current model.