closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Black Bay or Seiko Marinemaster. Which Would You Choose?

Tudor Black Bay or Seiko Marinemaster. Which Would You Choose?

It’s been a while since I had a new watch and these two have been on my hit list for a long time. Looking at Sales Corner shows they can be had for similar money and I’m edging toward the Seiko, having never owned a Seiko diver. But I’m wondering which one floats the most boats here on the forum

I love the dial and case of the Seiko, and it's probably the better diver of the two - but I've had a few of them over the years and just couldn't click with any of them. I still have a few Seiko watches, but no MM300, whereas I have a number of Black Bays, including the earlier ETA and in-house.

So... i would pick the Tudor. but I'd prefer the older style bracelet on the current in-house watch. I think I'll put one of my Harrods versions on the older bracelet, as I already have one of my black ETA's on the Ranger style bracelet, the same as the one of the one watch Black bay with straight hands:

https://monochrome-watches.com/uniqu...w-live-photos/
    It's just a matter of time...

It would be the MM300 for me
    It’s a marmite watch, it wears top heavy and is quite tall but if it does work on your wrist I think you will pressed to find better divers watch. They are not as common as the BB which for me is another plus

I’ve had both but for me the Seiko is just thick on the wrist, personal choice but I’d go with the Tudor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had both the black bay black in house movement and the MM300 (SBDX017) and sold both. I have since bought the MM300 (SLA021) and love it but am considering adding a Pelagos LHD. Wouldn't be without a MM300 but I do have thighs for wrists. The MM300 would almost be the last to go.

Definitely the Black Bay for me, it's just more versatile and classic looking.

Actually where you'll wear it is nearly more important. If you have a black bay you can wear it in a formal setting and even with a suit or shorts and a t-shirt. MM300 is a casual watch only and I would never dream or wearing it to work outside of casual Fridays.

Craftsman
    Marine master gets my vote and I own a black bay

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I like my Seikos but have never owned a MM. I’d like to try one for size but as one of the tiny wrist brigade, I’m not sure I could carry it off. My baby Turtle is perfect. Much bigger would be a struggle.

Tudor BBs, however, work really well for me. Casual when required but smart enough for the times when a fully formal watch is OTT. Lots of choice within the range too, both size and style. BBB might be perfect given the size and real dive heritage?

Disclaimer - I have never been near a dive boat, oxygen tank, or even a snorkel! It’s all just a dream to me....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both and love both. An SBDX001 MM300 and a 79220B Black Blay Blue ETA, both bought new. I love wearing the BBB on the Nato and enjoy it as an everyday watch or equally with a suit. The MM300 is a bit less versatile but is a better dive watch in every way and would be the last watch to leave my collection. It's a truly brilliant watch. I've owned countless Seiko and Citizen divers but the MM300 is the one for me. I also kept the MM300 in preference to a Submariner.

Others to consider at the price are Omega SMP and the Sinn U1T. I owned the SMP for a few years and it's just as versatile as the Black Bay. The Sinn is another keeper of mine which I love for its heft and the fact that the Tegimented finish keeps it looking like new. Remarkable finish for a watch and supremely legible.

Overall though, for me, the MM300 is the kiddies.

I've had 2 MM300's and a Black Bay. The Black Bay I still have, the Seiko's have moved on. Lovely beast of a well made watch but just a bit too big for me.

I've had both and regret selling the MM300.

Craftsman
    I've not owned either but the Seiko MM300 is a classic in it own right. I'd like one at some point. With the Tudor, I can't help but think they may be bought by people who can't quite afford a Rolex? Similar to those who buy a Skoda rather than an Audi.

I've had both. The BB is a lovely watch and you wont go wrong with it, but it is ultimately a mash up of styling and components from different watches from Tudors back catalogue, the Seiko was designed from the ground up and stands alone. The slab sides of the BB are no match for the finely machined Seiko case either imho.
    The only one I miss is the mm300.

Master
    Black bay for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I've not owned either but the Seiko MM300 is a classic in it own right. I'd like one at some point. With the Tudor, I can't help but think they may be bought by people who want a Rolex but don’t want to pay a ridiculous mark-up for brand image? Similar to those who buy a Skoda rather than an Audi.
    Fixed it for you !

Yes... I have a Skoda ;-)

Black Bay for me too - looks somewhat dressier when needed:)

I have both, original MM300 and Black Bay blue. Like both but really love the MM300. Not a perfect watch due to thickness and weight but it just works for me and makes me smile. No compromises to make it fit under a shirt ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MM300 would be my choice.
    Tudor is a great choice too if you would want a "safer" look.
    The distinction between the watch worn at work and the casual wearer is very blurred.
    I think the MM300 is a great watch for both environments.
    Added to which its design, toughness, movement and look are so good I would at the right time buy another.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have never tried a Black Bay but I have owned several SBDX017s. I love them but for my aging eyes I found the dial a bit too small/set too deep in the case. They are brilliant watches though. The size or weight were never an issue.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I've not owned either but the Seiko MM300 is a classic in it own right. I'd like one at some point. With the Tudor, I can't help but think they may be bought by people who can't quite afford a Rolex? Similar to those who buy a Skoda rather than an Audi.
    I don’t think that argument holds water anymore, for Tudor or Skoda. Also I don’t see Rolex offering anything like the BB

MM300 is one of those rare watches where dial, hands, bezel and dimensions (looking down) are perfect, what isn't perfect for me is the thickness as I dont have huge wrists, but on the rubber strap it looks brilliant.

Ironically, the MM300 was always compared with the Submariner as they were similar price points, how times change!

Journeyman
    I would choose the Tudor based purely on looks - I've never cared for the MM300. However I don't have anything negative to say about the performance of any Seiko diver I've owned. I think both are great choices.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    MM300 is one of those rare watches where dial, hands, bezel and dimensions (looking down) are perfect, what isn't perfect for me is the thickness as I dont have huge wrists, but on the rubber strap it looks brilliant.

Ironically, the MM300 was always compared with the Submariner as they were similar price points, how times change!
    Good grief! Really? That wasn’t even that long ago. When you think what has happened to Rolex prices a preloved BB seems an absolute bargain

Master
    I think the OP should certainly try the MM300 on the wrist before buying. As others have said, it's big, heavy and thick - it certainly felt too large and top-heavy on my 17cm wrist. If a wrist can take the MM300 though, I think the titanium Pelagos would be a better option than either – better looking than the BB imo (square hour markers match the snowflake hand so much better), arguably more toolish than the MM300 and certainly more comfortable to wear.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had both, ended up selling the black bay.