closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 3 for the Defender boys

3 for the Defender boys

Not everyone’s cup of tea but I thought the Landy lovers amongst us might want to take a look at the latest projects we’re currently doing. This guy is going balls out to get this ready some serious Off roading

Part one was a complete suspension upgrade jacking the suspension up around 3 inches with upgraded dampers, coil springs and steering.

2nd part last week with these monstrous wheels and a complete external roll cage by Safety Devices
    Roll cage alone was approx 23 hours fitting time, not particularly nice however it’s now on there and it’s not going anywhere!

The 2nd vehicle has just come to us from storage for the past 6 years. One of the original camel trophy camera vehicles which was used back in the mid-late 90s
    Were getting it ready to be back on the road before the end of the year

And finally a 6x6 Defender from the late 80s. This original came with a V8 but has since had a 300 Tdi lump transplanted in
    This came in for some work to the heating system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 11th November 2019 at 22:36.

Blog Entries
    Great pictures. Especially the Camel Trophy car. Brings back memories. It was a well-organized marketing event/theatre/real hairy-chested stuff. It had it all! Complete with the lengthy selection procedure.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    23 hours labour on the roll cage! Wow! As someone who’d love a Defender to replace the one I sold a few years ago, pics and stories from the workshop are always welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Camel Trophy. Nice!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Thought about an external roll cage but based on the time required will have to think twice!

Camel Trophy 🏆❤️

There are some decent bullet holes in that top one!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Some years ago I recall that there was a batch of Defender 110s fully prepared for some sort of expedition event but the event was cancelled and they were sold off in brand new (but fully expedition prepared) condition. They were unusually painted in a kind of matt gold colour.

I don't think they were built for the Camel Trophy and I thought the gold colour used on them was brighter and more reflective/metallic than the err... camel colour used on that vehicle. But I wonder now, could my memory be faulty and that be one of them?

Does anyone know the vehicles I am thinking of? I guess this would have been up to 20 years ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Some years ago I recall that there was a batch of Defender 110s fully prepared for some sort of expedition event but the event was cancelled and they were sold off in brand new (but fully expedition prepared) condition. They were unusually painted in a kind of matt gold colour.

I don't think they were built for the Camel Trophy and I thought the gold colour used on them was brighter and more reflective/metallic than the err... camel colour used on that vehicle. But I wonder now, could my memory be faulty and that be one of them?

Does anyone know the vehicles I am thinking of? I guess this would have been up to 20 years ago now.
    There was a G4 challenge cancelled a few years back, can't remember when but I'm guessing 10 plus years ago. I remember some of those vehicles were prepped but never used and sold on.
    However the G4 challenge colours were a reddy orange colour- can't remember anything being gold, saying that if it were 20 odd years ago it may well have been before my time with JLR

Blog Entries
    G4 had 3 or 4 colours: orange, silver, yellow (black). That was around 2004, 2005. I remember that: at the time I was looking for a Defender, but was veto'd by my wife who had been working for years and years with NGO's in India, Pakistan and Afghanistan and with miles and miles behind the wheel of 4x4s. She told me: "I only want a LandRover on the drive when it says 'LandCruiser' on the bonnet!" In other words, "No Defender!"

I was after a silver one. Personally I'd preferred an orange one, but back then, these were thin on the ground here in Holland. Later a lot of orange cars were imported from other LHD countries came into the country. I suppose that the orange colour didn't do well in with the Continental Defender mob and that there was a small market for these here in Holland.

In hindsight: I wasn't involved in classic cars back then like I am now. That started a few years later. The Defender would have been (and would still be) a wonderful company car for hauling stuff and car trailers. My wife's reaction: "Pff... with a Defender on the driveway, you wouldn't have had any money left to invest in what you have now!" Mind you, here, Defenders aren't seen as a diesel powered agricultural tool but as a posh car, with posh prices at the dealer's.

Back to the G4: the yellow ones are rare as hen's teeth here. I vaguely remember that the yellow colour was more-or-less gold. A vague gold-like colour. Nice colour though. Not the gold we associate with bling-bling cars owned by wannabe rap-gangsters.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 14th November 2019 at 07:30.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    There was a G4 challenge cancelled a few years back, can't remember when but I'm guessing 10 plus years ago. I remember some of those vehicles were prepped but never used and sold on.
    However the G4 challenge colours were a reddy orange colour- can't remember anything being gold, saying that if it were 20 odd years ago it may well have been before my time with JLR
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    G4 had 3 or 4 colours: orange, silver, yellow (black). That was around 2004, 2005.
    Thanks both. I think the ones I remember must not have been the challenge then.

It is possible that what I am remembering is from before 2000. Indeed, back then I would moat likely have read about the gold Defenders in one of the Land Rover magazines of the time. If so, I might still have it. If I find it then I'll report back here.

As I recall they were rather fetching in a kind of low shine gold.

Back to the G4: the yellow ones are rare as hen's teeth here. I vaguely remember that the yellow colour was more-or-less gold. A vague gold-like colour. Nice colour though. Not the gold we associate with bling-bling cars owned by wannabe rap-gangsters.
    Interesting. It could be that I remember these ones afterall. Not sure.

Blog Entries
    Quick search on the web: from a 2003 motormagazine article. Borrego Yellow:

Blog Entries
    Quick search on the web: from a 2003 motormagazine article. Borrego Yellow:
    Thanks but that's not the colour I remember. What I recall really was a kind if almost-iridescent-and-yet-matt gold. Yes, I know, weird description. I saw one in the metal once in Cricklewood, NW London (it was just driving by).

I strongly suspect that the ones I remember were pre-2000 but not sure.

I'm still looking for the old magazines. Will report back if I find any.

Blog Entries
    Didn't find the magazines but Google came to my aid. I am fairly certain that this is one of them: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...d-rover.42827/. This vehicle and a number of others were originally prepared for Ranulph Fiennes's cancelled Transglobal Expedition (1997).

See also https://expeditionportal.com/la-adua...1997-defender/