closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: an inherited Coin and UniFace medal group - some advice sought please

an inherited Coin and UniFace medal group - some advice sought please

Hoping that someone (or two) here are coin/medal-savvy enough to give me a little advice.
    My father has handed me a box containing envelopes full of various coins, a collection of sorts (though not lovingly presented) put together by his maiden aunt. I guess she died in the early 1970s and these have stuck around unloved in a set of drawers ever since.
    My dad is looking for a little advice (knowledge of what we have and what it is worth) before deciding on how to preceed with them (keep all or some them, sell all or some of them, divide them amongst their 6 grandchildren, or whatever).
    They range from one Roman gold coin from about 400AD through medieval ones, Georgian and all the way through to late Victorian. There is also quite a large number of uniface medals, predominantly from very jingoistic set struck in the 1820s.
    Having identified a few I think there might be some value in some of them, but I have not identified them all, and I am not even slightly able to judge condition well enough to tell how that might affect value. I am also hopelessly unable to decide whether any might be fake, as my maiden aunt was susceptible to being scammed when she was alive (she once paid for a delivery of 20 bags of coal or so to be brought in and tipped in the coal hole at her house, and never realised that about 15 of the bags were never tipped, they were carried in past her at the front door, and back out onto the truck round the back).
    I have reached out to my most local member of the BNTA, but I did not warm to him, and despite his taking an interest, he did not fill me with any confidence that he would be considering anything other than his own interests. As a result i have not contacted him to make the appointment he requested yet.
    I am also considering going to one of the valuation events run by one of the auction houses (specifically Warwick and Warwick).
    In total there are about 150 coins and about 20 uniface medals.
    I have also considered becoming a member of one of the forums, but joining just to ask for advice seems a little rude.

Any other avenues to consider?

Because we all like photos, here is one of the coin goups, 5 medieval ones (sorry, not very good depth of field here)

The Roman one, this seems in lovely condition

British Silver ones, some very mixed condition here

If any members here are active in the Numismatic field and can recommend someone they trust, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks
    Dave

an inherited Coin and UniFace medal group - some advice sought please

Blimey, there are some beautiful coins there Dave, the medieval hammered coins will need I’Ding as in ruler, mint, but it looks like there is a few Groats and maybe half Groats of one of the Edwards, the Roman is absolutely stunning, might be a Byzantine Honorius Solidus coin, also looks like you have some nice milled silver coins too especially what looks like a Charles II shilling.

You could look in books or search the internet but a good coin dealer is your best bet for value purposes, the Roman could well be worth quite a lot of money.

I hope non of them are fake but even so the early faked coins can still be worth something.

I have a Spink book if you want to borrow it as I know your in Bristol.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 11th November 2019 at 10:48.

You could try this forum, they're generally a friendly bunch. http://www.predecimal.com/forum/index.php

Nice!...if you do Faceberk join English hammered and early milled coins group,extremely knowledgeable folk on there.

P.s i would be interested in the hammered medieval coins if you do decide to sell,although unfortunately i don't know enough to offer you an educated value.
    Last edited by thorpey69; 11th November 2019 at 11:06.

Thanks for the comments, sorry for the delay in replying.
    The Roman one is (I think) actually Theodosius II, rightly identified as Byzantine, he was 408 to 450 AD I believe.
    I think you are right, it will be better for me to do the identification, I have (since the OP) approached a coin auction house and got another luke warm response. They said nothing whatsoever about any of the coins or any possible value, even in ballpark terms, just suggested that I travel to a valuation day and hand over the entire lot for valuation at their headquarters.

I have joined the pre-decimal forum, I think I will photo and post coins in little groups over there. I hope it'll be a more interactive way of finding out about the collection that just waving goodbye to it until it is fully valued. With over 100 coins to look at, I sense I will be busy.
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Thanks for the comments, sorry for the delay in replying.
    The Roman one is (I think) actually Theodosius II, rightly identified as Byzantine, he was 408 to 450 AD I believe.
    I think you are right, it will be better for me to do the identification, I have (since the OP) approached a coin auction house and got another luke warm response. They said nothing whatsoever about any of the coins or any possible value, even in ballpark terms, just suggested that I travel to a valuation day and hand over the entire lot for valuation at their headquarters.

I have joined the pre-decimal forum, I think I will photo and post coins in little groups over there. I hope it'll be a more interactive way of finding out about the collection that just waving goodbye to it until it is fully valued. With over 100 coins to look at, I sense I will be busy.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Please do not consider selling at auction. Although illegal, 'ringing' still happens … whereby dealers agree not to bid against each other … thus one dealer successfully bids low … whence the dealers go to a convenient hotel and 'sort the lots out between themselves' … according to each dealer's 'speciality'.

Likely best to sell via Ebay … or via a coin forum … once you know likely realistic values.

I once sold a valuable coin collection (accumulated over several years) via a well known auctioneer and was very disappointed with the result. The lots realised less than one tenth of their typical dealer sales values.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"