closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Original Smiths Astral

Master

Original Smiths Astral

I've just been given this by a family member after it was stuck in a drawer for years. I wound it up about 3pm and it is keeping very good time. I'll monitor it over the next couple of days and see how it goes. It came on a brown leather strap which is a bit tatty.

Lovely condition, very nice

Master
    Thanks, the colour in the image is slightly off, the dial is silver rather than white.
    The case is gold and it has Made in England at the bottom of the dial.
    The dial is about 31mm which means it's similar to a sports watch with a large bezel.

Journeyman
    Eddie should do a remake! $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That's a nice hand set and the applied indices are good too.

Craftsman
    That's really nice.

I've often looked at vintage Smiths dress watches. It'd need to be a 35/36mm to be wearable for me realistically though.

Master
    Checking it this morning it ran out of steam at 05:41 so only about 14/15 hours on the mainspring.
    I wound it tentatively yesterday at about 3 pm until I felt resistance.

I'll check it again today.
    I've just wound it and it takes about 10 winds(subjective) and then the crown starts giving resistance.
    Set it to radio controlled time at 10:44 and I'll check it through the day and see how it gets on.
    I'll keep it in a pocket and maybe warmth will help to loosen things up.

Case size is 33.4mm.
    Last edited by K300; 11th November 2019 at 11:54.

The seconds hand is very attractive, and the dial is in amazing condition.

Grand Master
    A wipe over with a rouge cloth would sharpen it up a bit and remove tarnish.

14 hrs power reserve is poor, it's either not being wound fully or its in need of cleaning and oiling. Given the age it's hardly surprising.

If it's got the cal. 60466E then it will be capable of great timekeeping.

If it's the mil spec version of that movement (with blued h/s and hacking) then even better.

There might be a m/y ("xx") date code on the plate

Nice watch, all made in Cheltenham!

Why have a watch from the Swiss Alps when you can one from the Cotswold Hills?

Master
    The seconds hand stutters between :00 and :20.

Does anybody have experience of opening these, I'd like to look at any information inside.
    The case opens via the bezel and I can see the very very small gap on the non crown side but it is reluctant to open and with it being gold I don't want to use any force.
    Last edited by K300; 11th November 2019 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    The seconds hand stutters between :00 and :20.

Does anybody have experience of opening these, I'd like to look at any information inside.
    The case opens via the bezel and I can see the very very small gap on the non crown side but it is reluctant to open and with it being gold I don't want to use any force.
    Sounds like the Shackman's case. Yes, lift the bezel off and the movement comes out at the 9 o'clock with a small slot for a screwdriver.

Grand Master
    My strong advice is NOT to start trying to open it up if you don`t know what you're doing, it's all too easy to do serious damage. OK, we all have to start somewhere, but not on something with value. Prying the bezel off is easy in principle, but a slip with the case knife can wreck the dial if you don`t use the correct technique.

Best thing to do with this watch is send it to someone who can service and overhaul it. I`m not in a position to offer, I`m knee-deep in watch jobs and I`m planning to move house in the near future, I`ve a few DIY tasks on my own house to complete and that has too take priority.

It's worth getting it sorted out, a new mainspring's always worth fitting on an old watch as a matter of course, usually they're still available and they don`t cost much. After cleaning and re-oiling the movement will run far better, give the case a very light polish, fit a new glass, lightly clean the dial, hands and indices, pop it on a nice strap and you're good to go with it.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th November 2019 at 19:13.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    My strong advice is NOT to start trying to open it up if you don`t know what you're doing, it's all too easy to do serious damage. OK, we all have to start somewhere, but not on something with value. Prying the bezel off is easy in principle, but a slip with the case knife can wreck the dial if you don`t use the correct technique.

Best thing to do with this watch is send it to someone who can service and overhaul it. I`m not in a position to offer, I`m knee-deep in watch jobs and I`m planning to move house in the near future, I`ve a few DIY tasks on my own house to complete and that has too take priority.

It's worth getting it sorted out, a new mainspring's always worth fitting on an old watch as a matter of course, usually they're still available and they don`t cost much. After cleaning and re-oiling the movement will run far better, give the case a very light polish, fit a new glass, lightly clean the dial, hands and indices, pop it on a nice strap and you're good to go with it.
    I’d agree with this if you don’t know what you are doing to be fair.

Master
    It stopped running at 23:30 last night and was about 30 seconds ahead.
    I doubt it's ever had a service so maybe not so bad for a 50 year old watch.
    Last edited by K300; 13th November 2019 at 00:58.