closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fun day out at Bluewater

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Fun day out at Bluewater

A friend of mine (also a TZ member) and I had an enjoyable day out at Bluewater checking out the watch stores at that fine array of establishments. Not quite up to New Bond Street in calibre but there was one stand out piece - see later.

OMEGA
    What was worrying was the lack of knowledge of some staff - even in the 'Boutique' level. We skipped EJ after having a coffee in John Lewis and headed up stairs to the Omega boutique. One watch that still haunts me is the Orange and Black Planet Ocean Chrono - I just wish I had not sold that one on. Anyway - after trying on the non-chrono 34mm(?) version I realise that is the version I should go for. Then out of the corner of my eye I spotted the Apollo 8 Speedmaster and asked for that one to try it on. The assistant tried to convince me of two things: (1) the face had actual meteorite in the skeleton dial; (2) it was an automatic!! Sir - but yes, the rotor is hidden carefully beneath the movement to not hide the meteorite parts. Well after a bit of googling I found - it's laser etched to look like the lunar surface and it IS a manual movement. It also had an MRP of over £7K - I guess mainly because of the ceramic case.

Nevertheless, I painfully did covet that version. The movement looks amazing and slightly skeleton presentation made a difference to the standard Speedy. The yellow accents set is off nicely + I am an avid Pink Floyd fan so the inscription on the case back, "We'll see you on the other side" resonates with me from, "Dark Side of the Moon", 1976.

My colleague was trying on the all ceramic PO 45.5mm - but it was an amazing £10K or so - what are Omega thinking? Also this 'Boutique' is not an Omega boutique it is owned by Goldsmith so some pricing deals were possible for cash.

BREITLING
    Onward we went to Breitling boutique. I am encouraged by the direction Breitling is moving. It is re-issuing some of its core styles. Being more interested in the sport versions by Breitling I asked to initially look at the new style Avenger. These come in a range of sizes: 43mm, 45mm, 48mm. The changes I found was the lugs hug the wrist extremely well and all matt finish. For my wrist, to my surprise - I preferred the 45mm Avenger Chronograph with satin finish bracelet, which has a lovely oversized crown and slight yellow accents on the minute totaliser. The other line was the SuperOcean - and I love the iconic yellow (custard) faced version at 44mm with it's 1000m wrt and integral helium escape valve. They had the version on rubber strap. The ceramic bezel had a matt finish unlike other brands. The have catered for all sizes with the SuperOcean - with 42mm, 44mm, 46mm.

IWC SCHAFFHAUSEN
    Then my friend wanted to show me a rather special watch he had spotted from IWC. It was rather surprising to find such a high value item nonchalantly poised in the window - bustling with Sunday shoppers with no guards at the doors - in fact no doors at all into the store. Just walk in - sit down take a look and an astounding piece of haut-horology - The "Da Vinci Perpetual Calender Chronograph - that sports not just complications from the name but also a Flyback and an Moon Phase complication - it was a superb piece. With moveable articulated strap horns. All in rose- 18c 5N - gold case. A suitably imposing case - rather like a fob-watch. MRP £36,250.

More reasonably priced were the Portugieser classic - I rather like the IW371446 white silver dial with blue hands and appliqués with dark blue alligator strap.

(excuse the camera angle - it looks better proportioned in real-life!)

So there are some to add to the list of like to have.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th November 2019 at 23:04.