closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best smart watch for counting swimming lengths?

Best smart watch for counting swimming lengths?

Is there a reliably accurate watch for counting lengths when swimming? I suspect Garmin might be the way but Iíve never owned one. Thanks.

subscribing to thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Is there a reliably accurate watch for counting lengths when swimming? I suspect Garmin might be the way but Iíve never owned one. Thanks.
    Don't they usually have a clock either end of the pool?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Garmin works well, been using my fenix 6 and prior to that the 945 can record lengths well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Garmin works well, been using my fenix 6 and prior to that the 945 can record lengths well.
    Indeed, Fenix 5 and 5x for me. Polar v800 was good as well and able to show which style was used.

Garmin just released the Swim 2 which should suit your needs. There aren't many reviews available yet, but this one goes quite in depth: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dcr...eview.html/amp

As always with fitness watches, take a look at dcrainmaker.com his reviews are in depth and very interesting. Not sure what his current swimming recommendation is, or if he has reviewed the Garmin Swim watch 2 yet as Iím sure this will be one to consider.

My 12 year old daughter swims around 6000m six days a week. I'm buying here one of the new Apple watches for Christmas. I'm not sure if it counts lengths but it does some other cool swimming related stuff.

Master
    I use my Garmin Fenix 5, great for me as I use it for hiking, running, MTB and road biking as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Garmin works but, as with all smart watches AFAIK, you need to give a good push off to show youíve started a new length and need to keep going during the length - so not great if swimming in a crowded pool.

Using a dive watch bezel and recording every 10 lengths works best for me.

I use a Garmin Fenix 5, and it is amazingly accurate.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by @lf View Post
    Garmin just released the Swim 2 which should suit your needs. There aren't many reviews available yet, but this one goes quite in depth: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dcr...eview.html/amp
    I was going to suggest this. dont know how much better it will be than the multisport watches

Craftsman
    The Garmin comes up most when asking the same question in Google.
    Have a look at the DC Rainmaker review site for more in depth info.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. A reliable length counter would allow me to totally zone out when swimming!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    I bought the Garmin 735 xt , with waterproof belt for swimming trainings. I spent several days reading different reviews, and this model appeared to be one of the best price/purpose ratio.

HTH

Grand Master
    Maybe Iím missing a trick here, but in years gone by when I swam regularly I simply counted in my head! Surprised that anything more elaborate is needed, I used to wear a Casio f91 to record the swim time.

Master
    Sydney, Australia, and Devon/Wiltshire, UK
    I just use a chromo or diver bezel. I know a length takes me 48 - 55 seconds, so it's not too difficult to work out how many I've done. At worst, I might be a couple out, so instead of doing 36 x 50m = 1nm, I might do 34 or 38. But, if I've done ~30 mins, I reckon I've had a reasonable workout...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Maybe Iím missing a trick here, but in years gone by when I swam regularly I simply counted in my head! Surprised that anything more elaborate is needed, I used to wear a Casio f91 to record the swim time.
    Good for you.