closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex help please

Craftsman

Rolex help please

Would one of you be able to advise a real world value for a Rolex that one of our office staff is looking to sell.

First of all this is NOT a stealth sales post and secondly I have no interest in making her an offer for it, she is struggling a bit for cash as her husband has just lost his job and things are a bit tight for them so he has decided to sell his watch.

She's asked me if I would advise her what she may get for it and I have no idea at all. To me it looks like £2000 worth, but I really have no idea. These aren't my bag at all.

The watch in question is a X serial Rolex Datejust two tone with champagne diamond dot dial (Rolex not aftermarket). X serial dates it to 1991 I think and he bought it in 2009. It was serviced at Rolex in 2011 and has service card and invoice from Goldsmiths for an eye watering £2000.00+ paid for the service.

It looks in good nick although there is a lot of stretch in the bracelet.

I haven't examined too closely or photographed it as the amount of DNA and build up of muck on the clasp and bracelet was knocking me a bit sick to be honest.

If anyone can help with a possible value they might get for it I'd be grateful. I'd hate to see her get ripped off, especially as they are going through a bad time financially.

Thanks

Could they not take it into the likes of Miltons and see what they say.

What did they do for the 2k service - quite a few service replacement parts?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    What did they do for the 2k service - quite a few service replacement parts?
    She seems to think they replaced the dial as it had a hairline crack.

Master
    A sound secondhand dealer might hope to sell a good example --- it sounds like a 36mm 16233 --- with a good bracelet for around £4,500.

The stretched bracelet, however, is a big problem. Seth and others can sometimes redeem a bracelet, but it can be slow and of course comes at a price. Sourcing a replacement bracelet is not easy, as it is generally the part which fails first.

Without seeing the watch, I think your figure may be a little on the low side, but not by much.

H

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    A sound secondhand dealer might hope to sell a good example --- it sounds like a 36mm 16233 --- with a good bracelet for around £4,500.

The stretched bracelet, however, is a big problem. Seth and others can sometimes redeem a bracelet, but it can be slow and of course comes at a price. Sourcing a replacement bracelet is not easy, as it is generally the part which fails first.

Without seeing the watch, I think your figure may be a little on the low side, but not by much.

H
    Thanks for that, It is indeed a 36mm 16233 and the bracelet is very stretched, which I have told her will really hurt the value.

She lives in Merseyside and I advised her to bring it in to you if she goes ahead and decides to sell it (sorry :( )

Hopefully they'll keep it.

Neil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Thanks for that, It is indeed a 36mm 16233 and the bracelet is very stretched, which I have told her will really hurt the value.

She lives in Merseyside and I advised her to bring it in to you if she goes ahead and decides to sell it (sorry :( )

Hopefully they'll keep it.

Neil
    Would you perhaps ask her to contact me through my website first and let me know that it came via you / here? I may not see her myself, but can try to keep a friendly eye on things for you.
    Thankyou, H

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Would you perhaps ask her to contact me through my website first and let me know that it came via you / here? I may not see her myself, but can try to keep a friendly eye on things for you.
    Thankyou, H
    Will do, thank you.

Neil