closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hiking boot (and other gear) recommendations.

Master

Hiking boot (and other gear) recommendations.

Rather foolishly perhaps, during a particularly drunken evening in Liverpool on Thursday I seem have agreed to race a work colleague in the 3 peaks challenge at some point in July. The chap in question is from Scotland and regularly walks sections of the West Highlands Way so the pressure is on - I have no intention of getting beaten (and there’s a decent bottle of scotch riding on the outcome).
    I’m not too concerned about fitness, I skip for half an hour and row for 45 mins pretty much every day and my proper training plan plan will kick off in earnest in January. But I will of course need to get myself a decent pair of boots - and probably a whole load of other gear I suppose.
    The last time I did any serious walking was with the ACF about 23 years ago, and I’m aware that walking gear has probably moved on a bit in that time.
    I recon the sooner I get a decent pair of boots, the sooner I can wear and get used to them, at the moment I know nothing at all about hiking boots and as usual the internet is a mire with recommendations.
    I suppose the lighter the better when one is going for a speed (I may never use them again, so they don’t need to be the most durable things in the world, I need about 9 months out of them) rather than something built to survive nuclear attack.
    So any advice on boots, and other gear for that matter.....
    I also plan to get a weighted vest and a pair of those fancy walking poles!!
    Now all I need is a fast car and 2 drivers. Although of course speed limits will be observed.
    Cheers chaps.
    Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least even after recognising a drunked bet you still going through with it.

I have a bit of an issue with walking boots and have ones from Barkers (the most uncomfortable to Sorels and Clarks. The Sorell and Clarks are outstanding, comfortable from the get go. Links below fella and good luck:

https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Batcombe-...TEX/p/26143046

https://www.sorelfootwear.co.uk/p/me...0061_color=241

If I had to make a choice the Clarks.

Rich

1. Your username needs to change.

2. If it's a race, I would avoid walking boots and go for trail running shoes.

3. Forget rowing and skipping and start running some hills. It'll be painful but better to get the pain out of the way beforehand.

Craftsman
    I completed the three peaks in June this year, took just over 22hrs with my firend and I doing the driving ourselves - with hind sight def would not recommend. Its a genuinely tough challenge as there are a number of factors outside of your control that have an impact. A really decent time would be sub 20hrs, I'll be aiming for that next time I attempt it but you require a bit of luck with conditions and traffic etc.

Just make sure you get a decent goretex jacket and trousers (I get hot easily so just wore shorts). If you're not in a rush I'd wait for a god deal to come up on sportspursuit.com. I'd also highly recommend a backpack that can hold a water bladder so you can drink on the move.

Edit: I found walking poles made a massive difference on the way up but would always collapse and put away for descent.

Footwear is a very personal thing, my friend used trail running shoes. I wore a pair of decent hiking boots with gel heel insoles. They didnt really slow me down and I can be bit of a clumsy oaf so found the ankle support invaluable.
    Last edited by Gerald Genta; 10th November 2019 at 15:55.

Master

Hiking boot (and other gear) recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    1. Your username needs to change.

2. If it's a race, I would avoid walking boots and go for trail running shoes.

3. Forget rowing and skipping and start running some hills. It'll be painful but better to get the pain out of the way beforehand.
    Yeah, piemunching and drunkenness will be off the menu from January. I always say If a job’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing. Not that I’m a competitive type of chap, but in an ideal world I wouldn’t beat him, I’ll utterly embarrass him.

Last edited by Piemuncher22; 10th November 2019 at 15:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Rather foolishly perhaps, during a particularly drunken evening in Liverpool on Thursday I seem have agreed to race a work colleague in the 3 peaks challenge at some point in July. The chap in question is from Scotland and regularly walks sections of the West Highlands Way so the pressure is on - I have no intention of getting beaten (and there’s a decent bottle of scotch riding on the outcome).
    I’m not too concerned about fitness, I skip for half an hour and row for 45 mins pretty much every day and my proper training plan plan will kick off in earnest in January. But I will of course need to get myself a decent pair of boots - and probably a whole load of other gear I suppose.
    The last time I did any serious walking was with the ACF about 23 years ago, and I’m aware that walking gear has probably moved on a bit in that time.
    I recon the sooner I get a decent pair of boots, the sooner I can wear and get used to them, at the moment I know nothing at all about hiking boots and as usual the internet is a mire with recommendations.
    I suppose the lighter the better when one is going for a speed (I may never use them again, so they don’t need to be the most durable things in the world, I need about 9 months out of them) rather than something built to survive nuclear attack.
    So any advice on boots, and other gear for that matter.....
    I also plan to get a weighted vest and a pair of those fancy walking poles!!
    Now all I need is a fast car and 2 drivers. Although of course speed limits will be observed.
    Cheers chaps.
    Paul.

Skipping and rowing will not help with your walking, as you are using different muscle groups. it would however help if you are in a rowing contest. You do however have plenty of time to start jogging and speed walking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Skipping and rowing will not help with your walking, as you are using different muscle groups. it would however help if you are in a rowing contest. You do however have plenty of time to start jogging and speed walking.
    Absolutely - What I meant was, I am reasonably comfortable that my heart and lungs will allow me to train pretty hard. I know that I have plenty of time. What I really need is “feet time” that will be the basis of the 6 moth build up!!

Piemuncher, your determination will stand you in good stead.

IME that is 90% of the battle.

You might have s*** kit or feel sick on the day, but you'll beat him if you want it more than he does.

On that point, sometimes I use sub-standard kit and that gives me an excuse to give up. So buy the best you can.

Dont wear brand new boots /shoes the day of your challenge without breaking them in

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Absolutely - What I meant was, I am reasonably comfortable that my heart and lungs will allow me to train pretty hard. I know that I have plenty of time. What I really need is “feet time” that will be the basis of the 6 moth build up!!

Gotcha;-)

I did the 3 Peaks a few years back. My boots were too comfy and not sturdy enough, whilst I completed in due time the soles of my feet were pummelled by the rocks underfoot, get some stout boots. You’ll be doing some stuff in pitch black, a really good Petzl LED head torch is a must have item. Plus some good wicking base layers, I wore Helly Hansen synthetic stuff and it was ace. Good luck matey!

If you decide to get walking boots I recommend Alt-Berg. Mine have been superb over the years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    At least even after recognising a drunked bet you still going through with it.

I have a bit of an issue with walking boots and have ones from Barkers (the most uncomfortable to Sorels and Clarks. The Sorell and Clarks are outstanding, comfortable from the get go. Links below fella and good luck:

https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Batcombe-...TEX/p/26143046

https://www.sorelfootwear.co.uk/p/me...0061_color=241

If I had to make a choice the Clarks.

Rich
    I don’t think either of those brands will stand up to the demands of hill walking and the Three Peaks. Okay for low level walking perhaps, but I wouldn’t feel confident wearing those up in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I don’t think either of those brands will stand up to the demands of hill walking and the Three Peaks. Okay for low level walking perhaps, but I wouldn’t feel confident wearing those up in the hills.
    This ^^^^ Altberg, Brasher or Salomon.
    Last edited by number2; 10th November 2019 at 19:45.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Meindl walking boots. Very comfortable and built to last. The memory foam makes them really comfortable straight out of the box. I have a number of different models but would recommend the Meindl Bhutan. Don’t try to do the three peaks training and actual climbs on the cheap. You will pay for it in the end.

Scarpa boots are also worth a mention. Having done the 3 peaks previously, see if you can get someone to do the driving as it will give you a chance to sleep. Plan your route both on the mountains and on the road. Preparation is key and every minute may count.

Master
    Boot wise the most comfortable and sturdy I've worn are Brasher. I live in the Lakes and do quite a bit of walking and they've been excellent. Can get a bit warm though.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Scarpa boots are also worth a mention.
    Another recommendation for Scarpa.

Master
    The best thing to do is try and few on and see what suits in terms of fit. Scarpa are a bit narrow for me, Brasher is now Berghaus and whilst really comfortable they didn't offer much ankle support and didn't last long in my experience, I now have a pair of Lowa which offer plenty of support, fit well and are standing up to the abuse I give them and are very comfortable..

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    If you decide to get walking boots I recommend Alt-Berg. Mine have been superb over the years.
    Second that..great boots..worth a visit to the factory shop in Richmond (Yorkshire)..if passing by

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    As many above have said: get yourself in to a decent gear shop for boots. All 3 of the peaks are rocky, and the Ben and Scafell Pike are particularly so at the top.
    If it’s a race, the only practical way to do it is race the peaks, and stop the clock when driving, otherwise it’s just who’s prepared to risk their driving the licence the most.
    I’ve done the 3 Peaks quite a few times, my main advice would be avoid a July weekend if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    As you'll be moving fast you don't need too many layers. Get a comfy base layer - either Underarmour cold/heat gear (synthetic) or Isobaa (merino wool) - these are light/thin, but good thermal and moisture management. Light fleece for descend and Goretex hardshell... I've just got a Mammut Tour HS and it's very light and super dry. (was looking at Arcteryx Alpha, but the fit was like wearing a tent...baggy and just didn't feel right...even less so for 600 quid)
    Waterproof overtrousers- some bargains to be had on military surplus goretex stuff.
    Boots- I like hybrid boots. I've been wearing Haglofs Vertigo 2 GTX for 10 years now...a pair usually lasts me 2 years. Perfect mouldable insoles, sticky soft compound sole.
    A goretex hat could be useful (the Lowe alpine Classic mountain cap is tried and tested and a pair of glasses - Julbo are my favourite - with detachable side shields)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    Meindl walking boots. Very comfortable and built to last. The memory foam makes them really comfortable straight out of the box. I have a number of different models but would recommend the Meindl Bhutan. Don’t try to do the three peaks training and actual climbs on the cheap. You will pay for it in the end.

+1
    Mine didn't even need breaking in. Still a superb boot and has never leaked or let me down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    Another vote for Meindl here - obviously different brands suit different foot shapes, so my primary advice would be to try lots of brands till you find one that really feels comfortable, but subject to that Meindl have been the best brand I've worn. They're properly tough and even their trainer-type approach shoes have been very difficult for me to wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Heartily seconding this, quality vs value beats all comers. Given the critical nature of the intended use, I would brace yourself for a trip to Richmond (N. Yorks!) for a proper fitting, too. Vital in fact.