closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Oris

Master

Thoughts on Oris

What do people think of ORIS watches these days? I was on youtube looking at a Seiko Sumo Hulk review and then had another pop up that compared it with a green Oris Aquis. The Oris was appealing visually, choice of sizes, a lighter vibrant green, ceramic bezel too so I started to think about the Oris. It looks like they are using Sellita movements now, presumably since ETA stopped supplying their movements to others. Compared to the Sumo movement I guess its a bit basic, but probably solid...but is it a bit too basic these days for what is a £1500 ish watch at rrp? WHat's the finishing like on Oris and how are they to live with? They seem to still have big wide lugs that sort of make any non specific strap or bracelet in appropriate.
    Looking on ebay the older TT1 divers seem to be on there at £600-£850 Buy it now prices, almost as much as the Aquis an I'm sure they never commanded that 5 or 6 years ago. Are Oris getting a following and respected brand now?

Master
    I mentioned in another thread that I think in the last few years Oris have really stepped up. Diver models like the Aquis are really good and the new 10 day openworked model (with a lot higher price mind) show that they are on a roll.

Whenever Oris gets a mention, residuals always need to be factored in. Great watches, but avoid paying list price at all costs. The watches can trade for anything as low as 50% of list within a year. Best to buy second hand and let someone else take the hit.

I have a 4 year old Aquis small-seconds, and the overall quality and finish beats all the other mid-field Swiss, German and Jap stuff I own or have owned, and by some margin. Love the watch to bits, it's my favourite amongst the Fortis, Edox, O&W, Glycine, etc that I own, and better than any Seiko I've owned (which exclude Grand S).
    The detailing and precision is flawless, and although I've not formally tested it, timekeeping is superb - I can't actually recall having to change it, but then I'm not overly fussed so long as it's within ~30 secs... (shameful admission, right there).

I'd say they're a company on the up - they're starting to develop their own movements, and looking to fill the void left by the spiralling prices of the big-name brands, and upping their game accordingly. Part of the attraction for me is that they're independent, and not part of the usual corporate portfolios (e.g. LVMH, Richemont, Swatch etc).

By way of balance, I buy with my heart, not my head, so long-term investment potential was not a consideration. If it is, you should obviously go big-name, and hope that big, shiny bubble doesn't ever burst!

Master
    My first “proper” watch was an Oris TT1 dive watch. Since then I’ve had more than a few more - all divers - including depth gauge, small seconds and aquis. All have been fantastic pieces, punching far above their perceived place in the pecking order.
    I’ve also had more than a few Sumo’s, and brilliant watches that they are I would put all the Oris’s I’ve had well above them in both fit and finish.
    Brought on sale or second hand I very much doubt you’d be disappointed.

Oris are putting out some cracking watches these days and quality is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post

Almost didn't notice the black second hand there! Nice touch. Really like the bezel detail too.

Master
    Oris have been using Sellita for a while. The SW200 is pretty robust and you'll never have issues getting spares for it from a 3rd party.
    I really like Oris. You get a huge amount of watch for your money and aesthetically they're very pleasing. Would like to add a pilot or diver to my collection.

Master
    Had several Oris. All superb quality. A tt1 diver from c. 2007-2012 is possibly as good a value diver as you can buy. Target about £600 in strong condition w box.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ve got a green Aquis. Very good quality, amazing dial and excellent timekeeping, I really love it.

Craftsman
    Worth mentioning that Oris are going it alone - they're not owned by one of the big conglomerates like Richemont or Swatch.

I've had a couple of Oris watches - excellent quality, affordable, and I will definitely have another Oris or two in future.

These look fantastic if your wrists can carry them off.

<40mm and I would be all over it.

As others have said, the quality at this price point and especially of the bracelets, is unparalleled in my opinion.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had a few oris. Very underrated imo and build quality is excellent for the price point.

Journeyman
    Oris make great watches and the bracelets are up there amongst the best. The aquis range are very well made and certainly a step above most mid range seiko although they should be at twice the price. I'll be keeping my depth gauge long term.

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Thoughts on Oris

I recently purchased this 40mm Big Crown with Acrylic Crystal from Sales Corner. The quality of the case and dial is superb, accuracy excellent.

This combined with their heritage makes them great value!

Craftsman
    I’m a recent convert to Oris. I picked one of these up earlier this year and have been most impressed - love the design, the quality is good and it’s great to support an independent brand.

I've owned a few Oris watches over the years and used to love the Friends of Oris forum but I don't think it exists these days.

These are my two current Oris watches, superb watches

Oris Aquis

Oris Pro Pilot

Last edited by Ric356II; 9th November 2019 at 21:26.

Master
    Seems like there is good and growing support, excellent. timor, first dibs if you get bored on the green aquis ;) I'll have to watch out on SC, or for any bargain deals.

the sw200 movement, am I right in thinking its a clone of of the ETA2824? IIRC Sellita used to manufacture for ETA, then started doing their own clones somehow or other.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Seems like there is good and growing support, excellent. timor, first dibs if you get bored on the green aquis ;) I'll have to watch out on SC, or for any bargain deals.

the sw200 movement, am I right in thinking its a clone of of the ETA2824? IIRC Sellita used to manufacture for ETA, then started doing their own clones somehow or other.
    Yes, you are correct regards the Selita movement. Pretty much the same movement as the 2824, which Selita used to make under licence to ETA. I believe there is an additional jewel compared to the 2824.

Master
    I like them and have had a couple. This one I sold a few years ago:

And this one that I bought new earlier in the year (although may appear on SC at some point soon)

Craftsman
    I have been very impressed by the quality of my Small second Aquis. I think they have got to be one of the most value for money brands out there, even at full price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got three,pro pilot,diver 65,Sinatra,all very nice watches and imho good value for the price point.

Master
    I think they are a cracking second hand buy. Good designs and original. Sometimes a bit on the larger side though.

At RRP however my mind always thinks of the second hand Omega I could buy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I don’t currently own an Oris, I have some experience of them as both my father and brother own one and there are a couple of models I’d love to pick up.

I went up to London a few weeks back and quite by chance discovered the Oris boutique in South Molton Street. Maybe it was a quiet day, but having explained I was just looking, I was invited in and chatted watches with the manager for about an hour, whilst he showed me some of their watches. No pressure to buy, just genuine enthusiasm for watches.

I visited a number of other boutiques that day, but Oris was by far my favourite and I would recommend a visit for anyone interested.

As for which models I d like to pick up, the Oris 1917 and Aquis Great Barrier Reef (LE).

I think it says something about Oris that for this watch they bothered to modify the ETA movement and put in a larger date wheel that suits the dial. When you look at, say, Montblancs with their date windows bobbing around adrift in the middle of the dial, you might think such a thing to be impossible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post

I went up to London a few weeks back and quite by chance discovered the Oris boutique in South Molton Street. Maybe it was a quiet day, but having explained I was just looking, I was invited in and chatted watches with the manager for about an hour, whilst he showed me some of their watches. No pressure to buy, just genuine enthusiasm for watches.
    I had the same experience. No pushiness, happy to have a chat, I was impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Sometimes a bit on the larger side though.
    Important point, well made. All those I've handled so far have been big AND heavy, especially on OEM bracelets. Not for the willowy-wristed!

Craftsman
    I really like Oris as a brand, and they're often in contention when I'm looking for a new watch, but I've never ended up owning one.

I really like the Oris 65, the ProPilot, the Pointer Date and the Aquis.

It appeals that they're an independent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This has to be one of their better offerings, but at over £3,000 too much. Some are offering discounts, but at £2k it would be great.

Craftsman

Ha ha, I’m afraid this is going nowhere

Great bracelet and I had the good fortune to get the rubber strap from a WTB here. It’s one of the nicest rubbers I’ve worn.

Would also second the comments about the Oris boutique in London, really helpful, not pushy and free coffee!

I’m now really keen on the burgundy dial Big Crown Pointer Date...

Master
    Looks great Timor!

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    This has to be one of their better offerings, but at over £3,000 too much. Some are offering discounts, but at £2k it would be great.

On secondary market after a couple of years that would be a great find for sub 2k. At the moment the 2-4K secondary market is full of (I think) better value propositions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    Worth mentioning that Oris are going it alone - they're not owned by one of the big conglomerates like Richemont or Swatch.
    This. For me that makes them more attractive than others at the same price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post

I recently purchased this 40mm Big Crown with Acrylic Crystal from Sales Corner. The quality of the case and dial is superb, accuracy excellent.

This combined with their heritage makes them great value!
    I had one like this, great watch but I could not live with the plexi. Once put it on an oyster bracelet it was really cool.

I really like their retro pieces and the chronoris.

BUBI 0_0

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    It’s one of the nicest rubbers I’ve worn.

Snigger snigger, titter, snigger!!

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    I’m a recent convert to Oris. I picked one of these up earlier this year and have been most impressed - love the design, the quality is good and it’s great to support an independent brand.

This is the Oris Hodinkee right..? I was after this and it sold out in minutes:(

- - - Updated - - -

Great photo!! this is so gorgeous

Master
    Shitters

Master
    AC 3 in da house and may be ejected shortly. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Shitters
    Not entirely sure what you mean?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    AC 3 in da house and may be ejected shortly. ;-)

Nor you,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    I really like the Aquis and the big crown pointer. I’d love to own either if I could find at a good price.

Ive not seen that before....Looks bloody gorgeous!

Ive had a few Oris watches, the only one I have now is an Oris 65 (42mm)..really like it.

Personally, I think Oris are good value for money..nice watches, well made..whats not to like?!

I don’t own one, but certainly came close. They have some very pleasing designs, and also build-integrity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Nor you,
    His derogatory expletive is typical of Archibald Chesterfield the 3rd, Archie Luxury, Paul Pluta. I'm assuming he's aping him.

PM'd him to remove comment anyway.

Journeyman
    Had my Chronoris for a few years now. Still love it's retro looks and lots of little details about it.
    https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-ch...-7564-4154-set

Journeyman
    I received my first Oris (Oris 65 green dial + bracelet)last September, and I was very well surprised, the movement was well regulated, (drift +4 spd), very well balanced dial, and a surprising uncommon 20mm-16mm bracelet that keeps the old touch era for this model.

HTH

What do people think of ORIS watches these days? I was on youtube looking at a Seiko Sumo Hulk review and then had another pop up that compared it with a green Oris Aquis. The Oris was appealing visually, choice of sizes, a lighter vibrant green, ceramic bezel too so I started to think about the Oris. It looks like they are using Sellita movements now, presumably since ETA stopped supplying their movements to others. Compared to the Sumo movement I guess its a bit basic, but probably solid...but is it a bit too basic these days for what is a £1500 ish watch at rrp? WHat's the finishing like on Oris and how are they to live with? They seem to still have big wide lugs that sort of make any non specific strap or bracelet in appropriate.
    Looking on ebay the older TT1 divers seem to be on there at £600-£850 Buy it now prices, almost as much as the Aquis an I'm sure they never commanded that 5 or 6 years ago. Are Oris getting a following and respected brand now?

Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post

I've had a couple of Oris watches - excellent quality, affordable, and I will definitely have another Oris or two in future.
    I agree.

My chronograph will be one of the last watches to leave my collection:

Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    I went up to London a few weeks back and quite by chance discovered the Oris boutique in South Molton Street. Maybe it was a quiet day, but having explained I was just looking, I was invited in and chatted watches with the manager for about an hour, whilst he showed me some of their watches. No pressure to buy, just genuine enthusiasm for watches
    I visited them about a month ago as I was just passing by. I explained I wasn't buying just looking but they were happy to get some pieces out for me, offer me a coffee & chat. Pressure free. I really vibe with their ethos at the moment about keeping their oceans clean but I couldn't find a watch that I could gel with. The Aquis clean Ocean 39mm was out of proportion given the thickness with the larger date model the better sized but didn't have the plastic disc in the rear. The Aquis green would've been good to see.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Strnglwhank; 11th November 2019 at 19:48.

Master
    I'll have to pop in to the boutique. I need to head to the seiko boutique too and take a look at the sumo hulk in person. I think I will much prefer the Oris for size and looks, but the movement in the seiko is better I think.

Craftsman
    Got an old TT1 that I’ve had for years,still stands up in build to a lot of higher end watches.