closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 6105-8110 Willard

Craftsman

6105-8110 Willard

Ever since this has come back from it's full service with water-resistant crown rebuild from Duncan 'thewatchbloke' Hewitt, I've had a hard time rotating it out for other watches.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Lovely! It can’t be all original parts can it? Looks like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Lovely! It can’t be all original parts can it? Looks like new.
    It looks unbelievably good. I’m no expert but I don’t see anything that’s obviously repro or non original. Stunning.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    It looks unbelievably good. I’m no expert but I don’t see anything that’s obviously repro or non original. Stunning.
    Thanks guys. It's all original except that according to Duncan, the autowind wasn't getting enough power to the mainspring so Duncan replaced it with a 6119 framework.

Craftsman
    I got it pictured here next to a new SLA033 that was in a local AD a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Thanks guys. It's all original except that according to Duncan, the autowind wasn't getting enough power to the mainspring so Duncan replaced it with a 6119 framework.

Can I ask if the crystal is the original one that’s been polished, or whether it was replaced with a NOS original one. I’ve got a really badly scratched up crystal on a 6105 that I picked up a few weeks ago, and I’m interested to know whether polishing is possible.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    Can I ask if the crystal is the original one that’s been polished, or whether it was replaced with a NOS original one. I’ve got a really badly scratched up crystal on a 6105 that I picked up a few weeks ago, and I’m interested to know whether polishing is possible.
    I believe the crystal is original to the watch. My crystal isn't perfect but if angled well the little nicks don't show up too much. With the correct grinding and polishing you could probably refurb a crystal.... I'm not sure who offers that service.
    You may be lucky to find a NOS crystal or your chosen repairer may have one....but I would guess that one of Spencer Klein's new crystals will be your best bet. Someone else, with more experience is welcome to chime in with a better informed opinion than me, regarding crystals for these.

Blog Entries
    Wow what a lovely example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the crystal is original to the watch. My crystal isn't perfect but if angled well the little nicks don't show up too much. With the correct grinding and polishing you could probably refurb a crystal.... I'm not sure who offers that service.
    You may be lucky to find a NOS crystal or your chosen repairer may have one....but I would guess that one of Spencer Klein's new crystals will be your best bet. Someone else, with more experience is welcome to chime in with a better informed opinion than me, regarding crystals for these.

The crystal is very badly scratched, but actually I’m not sure there’s much depth to any of the scratches so it could conceivably be ground/polished. As you can see it’s a bit rough around the edges, and both the minute and second hands are rusty. But these dogs are here to be rescued !

Journeyman
    Great condition, it is so rare to find them in such pristine condition, watch out with the crown lock system, from what I read It seems very sensible within ages.

(That is the reason why I opted for the SLA033)

Congrats for this gorgeous timepiece !

Ever since this has come back from it's full service with water-resistant crown rebuild from Duncan 'thewatchbloke' Hewitt, I've had a hard time rotating it out for other watches.

Glad to see it's still getting the wrist time Jason

With regards crystal options, mechanical polishing is possible but takes a lot of time and the results are never perfect - I'd never recommend it for a 6105 divers watch. It's far more economical to fit a Klein typeII crystal which is an exact replica of the most commonly fitted variation of Seiko's 320W10GN. There were three different types of crystal with varying heights that were fitted to the 6105 divers back in the day, all with the same part number! I could put an original crystal side by side with a Klein typeII and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the dimension and profile, they're that good. The only tell tale sign is that most genuine NOS 320W10GN's that survive today have an ever so slightly yellow cast to the hardlex where four decades of aging has taken place, where as the reproduced ones are completely clear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

With regards crystal options, mechanical polishing is possible but takes a lot of time and the results are never perfect - I'd never recommend it for a 6105 divers watch. It's far more economical to fit a Klein typeII crystal which is an exact replica of the most commonly fitted variation of Seiko's 320W10GN. There were three different types of crystal with varying heights that were fitted to the 6105 divers back in the day, all with the same part number! I could put an original crystal side by side with a Klein typeII and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the dimension and profile, they're that good. The only tell tale sign is that most genuine NOS 320W10GN's that survive today have an ever so slightly yellow cast to the hardlex where four decades of aging has taken place, where as the reproduced ones are completely clear.
    Hopefully 'HookedSeven' will see your reply Duncan. Yes, thanks to you, this watch is getting worn very regularly. It's a cornerstone of my small collection.
    The 6105-8000 I sent you in August though, could well be the 'centre' of my small collection....what with it being a Birth Year and Birth Month watch. Looking forward to seeing that one again. Hope you're well and thanks again.

Last edited by jason.humphrey.180; 11th November 2019 at 20:00.

Grand Master
    Superb classic,had mine on all last week and still on now.

Craftsman
    It's magic...

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Given everything said it sounds like a new crystal is going to be the way forward, plus I’ve got a 6105-8000 that’s going to need a crystal too so might as well get completely new for both. The next problem is hands as I seem to have two good hour hands and one good minute hand between them. I’ve been hunting on and off for a year for reasonably priced originals but it isn’t easy. I guess I’ll have to go for repros but still trying to avoid it !