closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 59

Thread: A very quick SOTC and a request for thoughts...

  1. #1
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473

    A very quick SOTC and a request for thoughts...

    There have been a few changes of late, but this is how it stands at present (I'll forgo the usual narrative, which I'm sure gets boring after a while):








    This is currently on SC, so let's assume it's gone (if it doesn't, there's something seriously wrong in these parts!) S*d that!



    My thinking is that I don't really need two white-dialled chronographs; I was toying with listing the VC but after wearing it for a straight week I've come to realise that it's just a shedload of watch for the value I have invested in it (and probably a much, much better watch than the Daytona), so it's actually the Daytona that would be moved on. I'm also planning to drop the GO PC in to Wempe in order that they can send it back to the manufacture for a full service. I rarely wear it, so when it's back and with a nice warranty on the movement I'll almost certainly re-list it, and if it doesn't sell here I'll widen the availability beyond TZ. I'm assuming, though, that with a GO service and priced at around £9.5k it should be tempting enough.

    That's the plan at the moment, although I could just as easily keep both the Daytona and the GO. Sometimes I make changes through boredom more than anything, so if anyone has any suggestions for replacement options that (1) would be a good fit and (2) are slightly off the beaten path it would be good to hear them. Failing that, they're a nice bunch of watches that I'm lucky to own, so just enjoy the photos.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th November 2019 at 18:46.

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South West London
    Posts
    610
    As ever, a beautiful, well rounded and flawlessly photographed collection Tony.

    Iím particularly partial to the more left field watches you have - that Lange has been haunting me for months now. Itís a huge shame that collecting (and this place) has become so focussed on value and investment, rather than the joys of exploring the unusual, esoteric and exotic. There is much more fun to be had away from stainless steel three handers from Rolex, but whilst prices sky rocket and the bubble continues to hold, I suppose we canít expect much else.

    Anyone that hasnít tried a perpetual calendar could do a lot worse than snapping up the GO. Looks like a lot of watch for the money.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,782
    Very good Tony i see you have got your collection down to 12 unless some are hiding in the background.

  4. #4
    Master Thom4711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hampshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,296
    Hi Tony,

    Terrific collection as ever.

    I find it tempting to fall into the trap of 'needing' to have the perfectly balanced collection which- madly- leads to selling on watches I like because I feel like I've got one too many dive watches or white dials etc. If you like white dialled chronographs then it's perfectly acceptable to have the Daytona and the VC in the same collection imho

  5. #5
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    As ever, a beautiful, well rounded and flawlessly photographed collection Tony.

    Iím particularly partial to the more left field watches you have - that Lange has been haunting me for months now. Itís a huge shame that collecting (and this place) has become so focussed on value and investment, rather than the joys of exploring the unusual, esoteric and exotic. There is much more fun to be had away from stainless steel three handers from Rolex, but whilst prices sky rocket and the bubble continues to hold, I suppose we canít expect much else.

    Anyone that hasnít tried a perpetual calendar could do a lot worse than snapping up the GO. Looks like a lot of watch for the money.
    I agree with regard to the focus here over the past few years; in a way I suppose it's inevitable, and I'd certainly be about £50k better off had I known then what I know now! Still, I do enjoy looking at other people's collections that stray off the beaten path, and financial value doesn't play much of a part in it.

    By the way, the ALS really is an incredible watch - I'm so happy to have snagged it.

  6. #6
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Very good Tony i see you have got your collection down to 12 unless some are hiding in the background.
    Just the King of G's (and that doesn't count)! Oh, and an F-91W as well

  7. #7
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Hi Tony,

    Terrific collection as ever.

    I find it tempting to fall into the trap of 'needing' to have the perfectly balanced collection which- madly- leads to selling on watches I like because I feel like I've got one too many dive watches or white dials etc. If you like white dialled chronographs then it's perfectly acceptable to have the Daytona and the VC in the same collection imho
    Wise words, and very true in terms of self-imposed constraints that are actually quite unnecessary. I suppose I'd like to get down to 10 watches really, though, as i'd wear them all a little more.

  8. #8
    Very nice Tony. I could be quite tempted by that VC if it hits the market...

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,024
    Love seeing your SOTCís, thereís serious quality across the board, and as always beautifully photographed. Great to see the Aerospace Night Mission still in there. Having recently picked one up I truly believe is ďalmostĒ the perfect daily wearer (it would be perfect if the strap could take a dip in the pool!)
    Cheers for sharing.

  10. #10
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Very nice Tony. I could be quite tempted by that VC if it hits the market...
    Unlikely, but I'll certainly bear it in mind, John. Being the first generation it represents just about the best value for money out there, IMO. This one's VC-serviced, too

  11. #11
    Grand Master Der Amf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,261
    It's quite rare to see someone bothering to mention that a Daytona is actually a Chronograph. Most the time it seems to exist in some genre all of its own (and to my eyes you've the prettiest version)

    I've always struggled with the idea of Perpetuals and Annuals in a big rotation, all that complex functionality to no great effect, but that's probably rather potatoey thinking on my part.

  12. #12
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Love seeing your SOTCís, thereís serious quality across the board, and as always beautifully photographed. Great to see the Aerospace Night Mission still in there. Having recently picked one up I truly believe is ďalmostĒ the perfect daily wearer (it would be perfect if the strap could take a dip in the pool!)
    Cheers for sharing.
    That's kind of you, thanks. Agree regarding the NM... I've had thoughts of changing it for a standard version with bracelet but like it too much. If only Breitling would make a bracelet for it, though - can you imagine?

  13. #13
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It's quite rare to see someone bothering to mention that a Daytona is actually a Chronograph. Most the time it seems to exist in some genre all of its own (and to my eyes you've the prettiest version)

    I've always struggled with the idea of Perpetuals and Annuals in a big rotation, all that complex functionality to no great effect, but that's probably rather potatoey thinking on my part.
    I don't think that's potatoey at all - it's a real-life conundrum and is quite possibly the driver for me moving mine on.

    Good point regarding the Daytona - not only is it a Chronograph but it's one of the best in both Zenith and in-house guises. I've always found the SS versions disappointing in terms of wrist presence, and when the ceramic came out I thought I'd found my perfect watch. I was on a list for three years but a change of manager at the AD saw me lose any chance of getting one at RRP. I won't pay stupid money for one, though, and this TT Zenith is a lovely alternative.

  14. #14
    Master Thom4711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hampshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,296
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Wise words, and very true in terms of self-imposed constraints that are actually quite unnecessary. I suppose I'd like to get down to 10 watches really, though, as i'd wear them all a little more.
    Completely subjectively, my least favourites out of such a great collection are the aerospace and the JLC, so theyíre the ones Iíd let go if it were me.

    Itís good to have a quartz in the collection... but perhaps not at the expense of a vacheron overseas chrono?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Completely subjectively, my least favourites out of such a great collection are the aerospace and the JLC, so theyíre the ones Iíd let go if it were me.

    Itís good to have a quartz in the collection... but perhaps not at the expense of a vacheron overseas chrono?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I guess in many ways that would be the obvious solution, and I would still have the Tuna as a quartz G&G. The problem is I'm kind of attached to the JLC (my birth year, and very beautiful) and the NM is just a superlative watch.

  16. #16
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,843
    Lovely collection. Personally if you asked me which ones I'd let go it would be the Glashutte and the Daytona. In terms of what might be 'missing' from your lovely collection then possibly a flieger style chrono? I'd avoid IWC modern ones as the quality isn't great and look at Sinn/Guinand or even Damasko.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Lovely collection. Personally if you asked me which ones I'd let go it would be the Glashutte and the Daytona. In terms of what might be 'missing' from your lovely collection then possibly a flieger style chrono? I'd avoid IWC modern ones as the quality isn't great and look at Sinn/Guinand or even Damasko.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Interesting thought, Ryan. I could be tempted to hunt down another older Mk XII, or perhaps consider a modern Zenith as an alternative. Worth considering, though.

  18. #18
    Lovely group of watches and having seen your collection chop and change over the years, I would think you are in your
    Ďcomfort zoneí at the moment. They are all excellent watches and I donít subscribe to the view that a collection has to follow a formula. If there are any that you are not wearing much, sure put them up for sale. If you are wearing them all
    and you donít need the cash and nothing else is tickling your fancy, donít fiddle with it.
    If it was me and I needed to sell, Glashutte would be the first on the block followed by the VC. But that is just me.
    Anything that keeps you away from bikes and tattoos is fine:-)

  19. #19
    The Grand Seiko looks very elegant in that shot.
    FMF

  20. #20
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE Asia/UK
    Posts
    2,484
    Super collection as always, Tony.

    Iím not going to offer you any suggestions other than the one you are fully aware of. :-)

  21. #21
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lovely group of watches and having seen your collection chop and change over the years, I would think you are in your
    Ďcomfort zoneí at the moment. They are all excellent watches and I donít subscribe to the view that a collection has to follow a formula. If there are any that you are not wearing much, sure put them up for sale. If you are wearing them all
    and you donít need the cash and nothing else is tickling your fancy, donít fiddle with it.
    If it was me and I needed to sell, Glashutte would be the first on the block followed by the VC. But that is just me.
    Anything that keeps you away from bikes and tattoos is fine:-)
    Haha... Iíve been thinking a lot about both lately! I do take your point, too... as I mentioned in the OP itís more a case of restlessness than necessity!

  22. #22
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473

    A very quick SOTC and a request for thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Super collection as always, Tony.

    Iím not going to offer you any suggestions other than the one you are fully aware of. :-)
    Hah! That old chestnut ;)

  23. #23
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanFreak View Post
    The Grand Seiko looks very elegant in that shot.
    FMF
    Indeed it does - want my bank details?

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    2,684
    Great to see you still like a bit of Tuna Tony....😁👍

  25. #25
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by bparker170 View Post
    Great to see you still like a bit of Tuna Tony....
    Love actually

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bucks. UK.
    Posts
    1,221
    You deservedly received plenty of kudos for a varied collection....
    Me ... I see another motorbike and a proper shed to keep it with your R9T!

  27. #27
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    You deservedly received plenty of kudos for a varied collection....
    Me ... I see another motorbike and a proper shed to keep it with your R9T!
    Stop it, Ian!!!

  28. #28
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    71
    That is just a lovely collection. To me it looks well balanced and I canít see anything that I would get rid of. Hold a gun to my head and I would drop the GO and the VC. Let me steal two and Iíll have the 1815 up/down and the Daytona.

    Personally, I have no interest in value retention because I never sell but I canít help thinking that you might regret selling that particular Daytona and find it costly to get back in if you change your mind in the future.

    If I had that lot and looking for an addition Iíd be waiting to see what Omega do with the 3861 next year or with the 321 in s/s if I were feeling flush. Wouldnít sell that Daytona to fund it though ;-)

  29. #29
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    That is just a lovely collection. To me it looks well balanced and I can’t see anything that I would get rid of. Hold a gun to my head and I would drop the GO and the VC. Let me steal two and I’ll have the 1815 up/down and the Daytona.

    Personally, I have no interest in value retention because I never sell but I can’t help thinking that you might regret selling that particular Daytona and find it costly to get back in if you change your mind in the future.

    If I had that lot and looking for an addition I’d be waiting to see what Omega do with the 3861 next year or with the 321 in s/s if I were feeling flush. Wouldn’t sell that Daytona to fund it though ;-)
    Thank you - some interesting views there and I appreciate the thought that went into it.

    You're not the first to say "lose the VC" - I suspect that handling it might change opinions but I guess the stying won't be loved by all. One thing I have thought of - in fact the only real want I have - is the 2nd generation Navitimer reissue that's apparently on the way from Breitling at some point soon. I'll buy that for sure.

  30. #30
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,282
    Great collection, very rounded and eclectic in it's own way. The Daytona is a grail of mine at the moment (not for too long I hope) so would say keep that one at all costs.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman at heart
    Posts
    1,622
    Blog Entries
    2
    Very nice indeed. If I had to choose I'd take the ALS, the VC, and the Rolex GMT, Sub & Sea Dweller

  32. #32
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Great collection, very rounded and eclectic in it's own way. The Daytona is a grail of mine at the moment (not for too long I hope) so would say keep that one at all costs.
    Thanks, Ian. I'm beginning to think I'll have to hang on to that Daytona

  33. #33
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Very nice indeed. If I had to choose I'd take the ALS, the VC, and the Rolex GMT, Sub & Sea Dweller
    Good choices!!!

  34. #34
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,282
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks, Ian. I'm beginning to think I'll have to hang on to that Daytona
    It's an icon I think, in a way most watches would struggle to ever be. I like most of your collection but that's the stand out one for me. Even against higher (monetary) valued models. And I believe the gold and steel has a better presence than the steel will ever have.
    Forget it's a Rolex for a minute, and just look at it. How many brands would love to have that as part of their repertoire.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 9th November 2019 at 21:06.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  35. #35
    Master Ric356II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    1,996
    Lovely collection and superb photos

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    7,626
    Blog Entries
    19
    Hi Tony.

    I have a soft spot for Zenith - so something a bit left field - how about the Defy classic Skeleton to add to the mix?

    not too big and a lovely movement.


  37. #37
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    1,881
    A nicely varied collection with some great quality watches in there.

    Personally I would do away with the white dialed GS and the Daytona, perhaps replacing the Daytona with a different coloured version.

    Keep the GO though, it's lovely!

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,173
    Interesting changes as usual.
    I think you were crazy to let BP milspec go and the IWC which was right up there as one of the best dress watches on here.
    Sometimes I think it's hard to rate which watches to let go from yours as the pics all look really impressive and I wonder if in real life they have quite the presence that they seem to have in the images-I wondered that about the IWC as it looked so good but the size was obviously small for modern day watches.
    My 2 favourites you have are the Pam and 5513 due to their simplicity.
    I would probably let the Daytona go out of the 2 mentioned.

  39. #39
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    Lovely collection and superb photos
    Thank you very much.

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hi Tony.

    I have a soft spot for Zenith - so something a bit left field - how about the Defy classic Skeleton to add to the mix?

    not too big and a lovely movement.
    Not doing it for me, Martyn. There are some skeletons I like a lot but they tend to be the unaffordable ones that are visually more refined.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    A nicely varied collection with some great quality watches in there.

    Personally I would do away with the white dialed GS and the Daytona, perhaps replacing the Daytona with a different coloured version.

    Keep the GO though, it's lovely!
    Well, the GS is listed for sale, of course. I'd certainly swap out the Daytona for the ceramic version, given half a chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Interesting changes as usual.
    I think you were crazy to let BP milspec go and the IWC which was right up there as one of the best dress watches on here.
    Sometimes I think it's hard to rate which watches to let go from yours as the pics all look really impressive and I wonder if in real life they have quite the presence that they seem to have in the images-I wondered that about the IWC as it looked so good but the size was obviously small for modern day watches.
    My 2 favourites you have are the Pam and 5513 due to their simplicity.
    I would probably let the Daytona go out of the 2 mentioned.
    To be honest I really didn't want to let the BP go, but it was the only way to get my hands on the ALS; the latter is definitely the most beautiful watch i've owned. Perhaps I'll regret it one day but I didn't wear the BP very often; I also don't imagine I'll be selling my 5513 or SD any time soon and there is such a thing as too many divers.

    The IWC was a lovely watch for sure. Obviously not one I wanted to keep, or I'd still have it.

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,200
    You've always been targeting 10 so rather than look for replacements, look for ones to let go and then just enjoy what you have.

    Personaly I would drop BOTH chronos (I just don't like the look of either, and having owned loads of chronos there is no need to have one) plus the Tuna (ugly IMO) and the Aeroy (you have the G).

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    449
    Cracking images of an extensive collection. Your new GS is my favourite, I could look at that dial all day long.

    I am not wholly aware of how it has developed so I may be suggesting something that you have tried in the past and not got on with but I would suggest some colour. You have the usual dial colours covered: black; blue and white/cream so how about something different? I'm not suggesting something as outlandish as orange or yellow as that wouldn't fit in with the collection but I am a big fan of the how Moser use colour (there is a stunning purple dialled one in these parts) or perhaps a peacock dialled GS. I don't know who else does colour well but I am sure there are others.

    Obviously that doesn't help with keeping the numbers down. I think there are nicer looking chronographs than the Daytona but then they probably wouldn't come with the history etc but that would be my suggestion. Good luck.

  42. #42
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    You've always been targeting 10 so rather than look for replacements, look for ones to let go and then just enjoy what you have.

    Personaly I would drop BOTH chronos (I just don't like the look of either, and having owned loads of chronos there is no need to have one) plus the Tuna (ugly IMO) and the Aeroy (you have the G).
    No chance of that happening whatsoever, Alun

    PS Good point about overall numbers, though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th November 2019 at 10:09.

  43. #43
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Cracking images of an extensive collection. Your new GS is my favourite, I could look at that dial all day long.

    I am not wholly aware of how it has developed so I may be suggesting something that you have tried in the past and not got on with but I would suggest some colour. You have the usual dial colours covered: black; blue and white/cream so how about something different? I'm not suggesting something as outlandish as orange or yellow as that wouldn't fit in with the collection but I am a big fan of the how Moser use colour (there is a stunning purple dialled one in these parts) or perhaps a peacock dialled GS. I don't know who else does colour well but I am sure there are others.

    Obviously that doesn't help with keeping the numbers down. I think there are nicer looking chronographs than the Daytona but then they probably wouldn't come with the history etc but that would be my suggestion. Good luck.
    Funnily enough, I've had a Moser of colour and moved it on for that reason. I have a feeling my tastes in that respect might be covered already but I'll certainly have a think about it. (Go do some nicely coloured dials in the sixties range, actually, but the watches themselves have never really appealed to me.)

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's kind of you, thanks. Agree regarding the NM... I've had thoughts of changing it for a standard version with bracelet but like it too much. If only Breitling would make a bracelet for it, though - can you imagine?
    I so agree - it really would then be the perfect watch. Being OCD any cloth-type strap always feels grubby to me after a few days, so I always have my (standard) Aeros on bracelet or rubber.

  45. #45
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    There have been a few changes of late, but this is how it stands at present (I'll forgo the usual narrative, which I'm sure gets boring after a while):








    This is currently on SC, so let's assume it's gone (if it doesn't, there's something seriously wrong in these parts!)



    My thinking is that I don't really need two white-dialled chronographs; I was toying with listing the VC but after wearing it for a straight week I've come to realise that it's just a shedload of watch for the value I have invested in it (and probably a much, much better watch than the Daytona), so it's actually the Daytona that would be moved on. I'm also planning to drop the GO PC in to Wempe in order that they can send it back to the manufacture for a full service. I rarely wear it, so when it's back and with a nice warranty on the movement I'll almost certainly re-list it, and if it doesn't sell here I'll widen the availability beyond TZ. I'm assuming, though, that with a GO service and priced at around £9.5k it should be tempting enough.

    That's the plan at the moment, although I could just as easily keep both the Daytona and the GO. Sometimes I make changes through boredom more than anything, so if anyone has any suggestions for replacement options that (1) would be a good fit and (2) are slightly off the beaten path it would be good to hear them. Failing that, they're a nice bunch of watches that I'm lucky to own, so just enjoy the photos.
    Wonderful collection full of classics. In particular really really like the simplicity of your gold JLC dress watch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    Master helidoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,698

    A very quick SOTC and a request for thoughts...

    An amazing collection expertly photographed as usual.

    If it was me I would move on the Daytona, VC and and GO. Iíve never really appreciated the Daytona, as fine a watch as it is. The VC is horologically top drawer, but something much simpler like a time only manual wind Traditionelle is much more my thing. The boutique versions have the most interesting dial texture; have you thought about this as a replacement? The GO is such a good watch technically, but the asymmetry of the dial does grate me a bit.

    Sell those 3, buy a simpler VC, liberate some funds. Less may be more. I canít believe you are selling that amazing GS, that really is madness

    Best

    Dave


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 10th November 2019 at 18:03.

  47. #47
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,473
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    An amazing collection expertly photographed as usual.

    If it was me I would move on the Daytona, VC and and GO. Iíve never really appreciated the Daytona, as fine a watch as it is. The VC is horologically top drawer, but something much simpler like a time only manual wind Traditionelle is much more my thing. The boutique versions have the most interesting dial texture; have you thought about this as a replacement? The GO is such a good watch technically, but the asymmetry of the dial does grate me a bit.

    Sell those 3, buy a simpler VC, liberate some funds. Less maybe more. I canít believe you are selling that amazing GS, that really is madness

    Best

    Dave


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You're bloody right about the GS. It should have been snapped up in a nanosecond, but I'm withdrawing it.

  48. #48
    Master helidoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You're bloody right about the GS. It should have been snapped up in a nanosecond, but I'm withdrawing it.
    And balance is restored to the universe. Outstanding decision!

    Dave


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You're bloody right about the GS. It should have been snapped up in a nanosecond, but I'm withdrawing it.
    Which tells you something about the forum psyche.
    Quite a few watches which draw oohs and aahs on WT spend an unreasonable amount of time on SC. The Garrick from the other thread about an SOTC is another one which might take a while to sell.

  50. #50
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,843
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Which tells you something about the forum psyche.
    Quite a few watches which draw oohs and aahs on WT spend an unreasonable amount of time on SC. The Garrick from the other thread about an SOTC is another one which might take a while to sell.
    I agree this forum has a lot of Rolex fanboys but IMHO the only thing that stopped Tony's GS going is the 35.8mm case size. I was working out how long I needed to be on a diet in order to carry that off :)

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •