closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Daytona 16520 original and service parts, Any differences?

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex Daytona 16520 original and service parts, Any differences?

Hi all,

I have a steel Daytona 16520 with Rolex London for a full movement service this requires a new crown (as usual). Rolex have also asked if I would like optional parts exchanged and replaced (one pusher and the crystal). My question is does anyone know if these service parts would differ with any little nuances from the originals on an A serial steel Daytona from 1999?

Thanks,
    M

This is a guess... the replacement crystal might have the laser-etched coronet at six o’clock. From what I’ve read, that only started in 2001 and became universal in 2003.

Hi hope your well

I have same A series SEL & Lumi

Would not bother me re crystal or pusher its not like dial or hands or a caseback. imho

That said might be worth asking for old pusher ? If not no biggy

Can i ask what sort of figure they are asking for service ? I know many indys avoid the 4030 due to parts availability

Master
    Hi

I also have same A series SEL & Lumi and as far as I know, they have to go back to RSC because accredited indies are not allowed the parts.

To be honest I would rather the watch is returned at peak performance and I could not get emotional over petty originality.

I think some service parts for Daytonas such as pushers and crystals are far less of an 'originality' issue than they are on the likes of Submariners and SDs as long as the work is done by Rolex using genuine parts and then comes with their service warranty.

Cearly you wouldn't let them change the dial or hands, but seals, pushers and crystal etc are fine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I guess the crystal was my biggest concern with post 2001 engraving but they will not budge. The also wanted to replace the clasp and bezel but I declined. I will post a few snaps when it returns. It should look very nice the case was unpolished and in very good condition before being sent off through my local AD. Looking forward to seeing it myself.

Thanks for all the advice.
    M

Master
    The new crystal will have coronet and a slightly rounded edge, unlike the older crystals that had a sharp edge that chipped more easily.

Unfortunately it will render your watch nearly worthless, but I will be happy to scrap it for you.... ;)

If they are giving you the option I wouldn't go for it. Generally, if they believe the parts are no longer viable they would only carry out the service if you agreed to the replacement or exchange of parts, in my experience.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    I would stick with the orginal parts