closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Where is it, I wonder?

  1. #1
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842

    Where is it, I wonder?

    I have a watch on its way to me from the States via USPS. In a week itís been tracked in and out of a number of USPS sites in the US and crossed the Atlantic. So far so good...

    According to the latest tracking info it left Heathrow on the 1st of November (a week ago). Since then... nothing!

    Why would it have stopped moving for an entire week?

    Any thoughts?

    Simon

  2. #2
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,833
    Customs?

  3. #3
    Been sent to Coventry.

  4. #4
    Customs for up to 2 weeks is perfectly normal.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    A week is nothing to worry about Simon, it won't appear on Parcelforce / Royal Mail tracking until Customs have released it. Probably be the middle of next week. Hope it's not Parcelforce (see my rant in BP ).

  6. #6
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    35,932
    USPS often end up in Royal Mail/Parcelforce - this is where the tracking and delay issues kick in.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  7. #7
    Journeyman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    104
    Had a watch come via the same carriers recently, took 9 days just to clear customs, 3 weeks in all from USA to Lincs.

  8. #8
    I just had a watch (Rolex) "disappear" in The Netherlands for week. No tracking, no records, nothing.

    It was held up in customs despite 1.) being sent from the UK (still in the EU!) and 2.) having a declared value of $50.

    It arrived yesterday and I was VERY relieved

  9. #9
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Thanks to Paul, Ken and others for the reassurances. Itís occurred to me that Iíve never bought a watch of real value from the States before, so I had no idea what to expect (apart from a big VAT invoice, of course!).

    Cheers all, Iíll update this thread when it reappears...

    Simon

  10. #10
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    16 days now without any apparent movement or any information ...

    Simon

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,414
    You could always contact the courier, it can often lead to things moving.

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Wixams, Beds
    Posts
    807
    if you have a long tracking number ending in a country code (GB / US / &c) type the code into the royal mail tracking service, I suspect it's hung up in the Langley HWDC (Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Center) due to customs checks. This is pretty common and can take a while to process. Once you have determined that the parcel is indeed at HWDC you can do a bit of light prodding but it's a bit Orwellian and they are a law unto themselves.

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    223
    probably customs, thats the usual timeframe

    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I have a watch on its way to me from the States via USPS. In a week itís been tracked in and out of a number of USPS sites in the US and crossed the Atlantic. So far so good...

    According to the latest tracking info it left Heathrow on the 1st of November (a week ago). Since then... nothing!

    Why would it have stopped moving for an entire week?

    Any thoughts?

    Simon

  14. #14
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842

    Where is it, I wonder?

    So after 19 days with no updates whatsoever, Royal Mail attempted to deliver the watch!

    I wasnít in...obviously.

    Curiously, no sign of an invoice for the VAT, though .

    Simon

  15. #15
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,833
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

    Curiously, no sign of an invoice for the VAT, though .

    Simon
    Donít worry, Itíll arrive, and you wonít have to suffer the guilt of receiving a watch from overseas without paying the full amount of import taxes etc.

    I have lived with this guilt for approx 15 years, in my shady past I received a watch from overseas and never paid tax/import duty. My initial exhilaration has to be tempered by the profuse guilt Iíve lived with (and continue to live with) for a significant proportion of my life.

    Seriously, I hope it all works out OK and you enjoy the warm feeling of receiving the watch AND paying your dues.........in the distant past I enjoyed the former but was deprived of the latter

  16. #16
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I just had a watch (Rolex) "disappear" in The Netherlands for week. No tracking, no records, nothing.

    It was held up in customs despite 1.) being sent from the UK (still in the EU!) and 2.) having a declared value of $50.

    It arrived yesterday and I was VERY relieved
    I am prepared to endure the flak from the anti-profiteering brigade on here - I will happily give you $60 for it.

  17. #17
    The fact that they tried to deliver it is better news than the thing going missing. A pain I know, but once you have collected it this sorry saga will all be over.

    Don't let this turn into 'I cannot bond with the watch' - wasn't the Watch' fault 

    Hope it all ends well Simon.

  18. #18
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Paul, Iíll be happy to pay the VAT - itíll still be a really good deal.

    Ken, wise words indeed. Iím not worried about waiting and it certainly wonít put me off the watch. I waited 5 months for my Doxa and still love it!

    Simon

  19. #19
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,833
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Paul, Iíll be happy to pay the VAT - itíll still be a really good deal.

    Ken, wise words indeed. Iím not worried about waiting and it certainly wonít put me off the watch. I waited 5 months for my Doxa and still love it!

    Simon
    Simon, glad to hear youíre happy paying the VAT..........Iím still living with guilt if not doing so

    Seriously (!), if you get the watch you want, itís worth paying the taxes etc. The halcyon days were around 2093, $2to the £, very lax customs, lots of bargains on US ebay ( and German ebay) if you accepted an element of risk. In hindsight I wish Iíd filled my boots!

  20. #20
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    14,506
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Simon, glad to hear youíre happy paying the VAT..........Iím still living with guilt if not doing so

    Seriously (!), if you get the watch you want, itís worth paying the taxes etc. The halcyon days were around 2093, $2to the £, very lax customs, lots of bargains on US ebay ( and German ebay) if you accepted an element of risk. In hindsight I wish Iíd filled my boots!
    Sshh marty McFly, don't tell everyone your secret .

  21. #21
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Re-delivery now planned for Monday. Itís inching closer!

    Simon

  22. #22
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Oh what a surprise... nobody showed up

    Simon

  23. #23
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Now I really need some advice, people.

    I have received a letter from Border Force stating that my watch cannot be delivered to me until I complete and return Customs Form C88.

    Iíve managed to download the form which is a full-blown and completely incomprehensible 12-page Import/Export document. Iím sure if I was a professional shipping agent it would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately Iím not and my chances of completing it correctly are zero. Apparently this is because Drop choose to ship using the US Postal Service rather than a courier company .

    If anybody can offer me any advice or guidance Iíd be immensely grateful - I have almost $2k invested in a watch that now appears to be locked up in Ďthe systemí and I genuinely donít know what to do...

    Simon


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    The couriers always get stick on here for their ~£10 fees but saves this hassle!

    Could you post link to the form?

  25. #25
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    This is the link to the form...
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...849123/C88.pdf

    I guess you can see my problem!

    Iíve been in touch with the Government advisory service who have offered no advice whatsoever...

    Simon

  26. #26

    Where is it, I wonder?

    Search for something like Ďexample completed C88 formí. Still wonít be easy though and youíll need to look up commodity codes etc.

    Surprised you have to do this though, pretty sure Iíve had stuff via. USPS w/o this hassle.

  27. #27
    I had similar in the past - twice - with Creation watches and eventually got the items after just over a month, but donít think I had to complete a form, I just got given the runaround. Actually Iím sure I rang the customs where they were being kept and paid the VAT over the phone with a credit card? When they watch finally arrived they came with the paperwork showing the duty was paid. Sorry canít remember more but Iíll look for the paperwork and see if I can help. Suffice to say it was such a pain in both instances, I havenít ordered anything from them since!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    This is the link to the form...
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...849123/C88.pdf

    I guess you can see my problem!

    I’ve been in touch with the Government advisory service who have offered no advice whatsoever...

    Simon
    I don't see how anyone could be expected to complete that form and whoever designed it deserves to taken outside and given a good kicking.

    I have just bought a watch from the US that is currently with USPS. You have me worried now. In the past they have been passed across to Parcelforce once they have cleared Customs.

  29. #29
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I had similar in the past - twice - with Creation watches and eventually got the items after just over a month, but donít think I had to complete a form, I just got given the runaround. Actually Iím sure I rang the customs where they were being kept and paid the VAT over the phone with a credit card? When they watch finally arrived they came with the paperwork showing the duty was paid. Sorry canít remember more but Iíll look for the paperwork and see if I can help. Suffice to say it was such a pain in both instances, I havenít ordered anything from them since!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no idea where the watch is being held unfortunately. The letter came from Border Force rather than HMRC. I called Border Force and they referred me to the HMRC advice line, but Customs had no interest in discussing it with me at all. I seem to be between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

    Iíd be interested in knowing about your paperwork, though, Rob.

    Simon

  30. #30
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I don't see how anyone could be expected to complete that form and whoever designed it deserves to taken outside and given a good kicking.

    I have just bought a watch from the US that is currently with USPS. You have me worried now. In the past they have been passed across to Parcelforce once they have cleared Customs.
    I hate to say it, Ken, but I think you might have exactly the same problem. If you donít Iíd like to know how it plays out for you.

    Youíre right about the form - itís completely ridiculous...

    Simon

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I hate to say it, Ken, but I think you might have exactly the same problem. If you don’t I’d like to know how it plays out for you.

    You’re right about the form - it’s completely ridiculous...

    Simon
    I will keep you fully informed of progress. It's currently travelling across the US. If you do complete the form or obtain help completing it, please keep some images of it in case I or others on here have to go down the same road, but I have bought several watches from the US without incident, just the usual VAT to pay once it's cleared Customs.

    Maybe e-bay and their Global Shipping Program is the answer for future purchases. It is expensive, but at least they handle all the Customs stuff.

    Edit: just checked mine and the USPS reference is showing up on the Parcelforce tracker, which is what you would expect to see at this stage.

    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 30th November 2019 at 20:21.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I have no idea where the watch is being held unfortunately. The letter came from Border Force rather than HMRC. I called Border Force and they referred me to the HMRC advice line, but Customs had no interest in discussing it with me at all. I seem to be between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

    Iíd be interested in knowing about your paperwork, though, Rob.

    Simon
    Iíll have a dig around - but moved house since then so not sure I still have it (both were cheap Seiko monster type purchases so not big money) - I think border force sent me a letter with details of where they were being held, I contacted them and I was able to arrange payment to HMRC who them released the watch. Mentioned it to my wife and she reckons the whole thing was about 6 weeks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •