closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you ?

Craftsman

Would you ?

Hey guys,

Birthday in a couple of weeks, and I am debating. I have been after a Daytona for a while ( at list price) without luck.

Just got offered this by the AD

£9050

Looks really nice, but keen to have people’s view and if anyone know how desired they are if life turns to the worse.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's face it, you will be waiting a long time to get a Daytona. This purchase might put you up the list but it's a lot of money. If you really like it, go for it, it's your money.

I think as time goes on there is less likelihood of ever getting a Daytona. When I went on the list they were about £13k on the secondary markets. Several years on they are double that and ask yourself, what manager is seriously going to sell one for £9k to a random stranger - not a chance in hell.

Back to this watch. Don't buy it. You have been offered something that they are looking to shift and it wasn't on your wants list to start with. It's not a premium watch, sorry.

Master
    If you want a Daytona that’s not going to satisfy the yearning except that you’ll have £9k less in your pocket. The AD isn’t doing you much of a favour there.

I think they look brill, my wife is hankering after the 36mm version and we were going to do "his and hers" but it is not legible enough for me, but it looks a million dollars.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Personally no, as I dislike the bezel.

Anyway, if you want a Daytona, why would you buy this?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by murilloinf View Post
    Hey guys,

Birthday in a couple of weeks, and I am debating. I have been after a Daytona for a while ( at list price) without luck.

£9050

Looks really nice, but keen to have people’s view and if anyone know how desired they are if life turns to the worse.

Cheers

No, I'd say don't do it for the all the reasons above.
    I saw a guy wearing one this morning on the train and I really didn't like it. I saw a lot of bling and silver shining off it.

Craftsman
    Spend 9k on something you don't want?
    I'd the Daytona is what you want, this won't scratch the itch.

Weather anyone else here likes it is irrelevant.
    If you have to ask on a public forum, then you're probably not to into it anyway!
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 8th November 2019 at 15:00.

Master

Would you ?

These are readily available so don’t buy unless you really like it

That's a very, very different watch...

Craftsman
    Only buy it if YOU realy like it. But I think you know the answer already.
    You will still want what you can not have.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Seams expensive to me

Journeyman
    The world of Rolex is very weird right now. I would normally say just wait for your name to come up on the Daytona list, but who knows, maybe buying this will make your name more likely to come up on that list??

I have been on the waiting list since the ceramic/steel Daytonas (and the Pepsi GMT) were announced, and I have started thinking my only hope is to start buying DJs and other Rolexes at list price every few months, selling them at a loss, all in hopes of getting the AD to take me seriously for Daytona. I figure the amount lost on the DJs, YMs, or ExpIIs in this scenario would be far less than the markup on a BNIB grey market Daytona. I know this is all insane logic, but that's what this market has led me to consider.

Personally I have a soft spot for the blue dial version. But currently don’t like it enough to buy one. It really needs to be the watch you want at that kind of outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Don't buy it. You have been offered something that they are looking to shift and it wasn't on your wants list to start with. It's not a premium watch, sorry.
    This.

It's not what you were looking for. Get what you want OR want something different. This is neither or not sufficiently either.

Master
    Yacht masters are a quality watch, but underrated and undesirable, don't know why... Bit costly I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Yacht masters are ... underrated and undesirable, don't know why...
    Well personally, it’s because I think they’re ugly

I’ll get my coat...

Simon

Craftsman
    Love mine , wears well , very comfortable.

Not as well known as a sub or Daytona, a bit under the radar for a Rolex imho.

Buy it because you want one ,I certainly wouldn’t buy one instead of a Daytona if that’s what your really want.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Personally no, as I dislike the bezel.
    #MeToo!

Given your desire for a Daytona and the fact you’re not sure about the YM, I’d say no, don’t buy it. I have zero insight into Rolex sales beyond my limited dealings with my local AD but fear I’ll never get my dream watch, also a Daytona, at RRP. May as well stick 9k into a grey if you want it sometime soon/ever.

However, I personally really, really like this version of the YM and suspect I’ll get one before too long. Good job there’s no waiting list due to them being so uncool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I like a good YM - but think this - would you have bought it if you were not offered it?

I had this one - rather liked it

Master

£9050
    If you are after a Daytona, but you would be comfortable wearing that YM, I would seriously consider a TT Daytona. By current standards, they are not outrageously priced.

EDIT: Unless you mean a ceramic Daytona (which, for what it's worth, I don't like as much as the 'old' style).

I’ve had 3 or 4 yachtmasters over 20+ years, personally I like them and the most notable thing for me is the comfort- for me at least, they sit better than any other Rolex on my wrist, better than almost any other watch I’ve owned, and this leads to a feeling of real luxury when worn

Craftsman
    It’s a nice watch.
    But I wouldn’t buy one for £9,000.
    You won’t be able to sell it in a hurry for close to what the dealer wants.

Would sooner buy a DJ41 than a YM personally.

"sell what's available now" is why the dealer is offering it.

If they dealer is offering you this instead of a Daytona I would hazard a guess that you're not getting a Daytona from this AD. If they were sincere they would offer you a different hard to get watch in consultation.

Craftsman
    I tried one on a few weeks back and I’d buy one, but only if I already had a decent collection and it was another addition.

Buy a watch because you yourself like it, if it’s that particular Yacht-Master then sure why not it’s a great looking piece and has the advantage of being far more unique than a Submariner for example, the current obsession by so many folk with regard residual resale value - particularly with regard Rolex models - is ruining the enjoyment of watch collecting IMHO.

I wouldn't buy a stationwagon if I wanted a convertible

BUBI 0_0

Craftsman
    Just to update you guys, I went back, with the wife, tried again. You see, I was after a Daytona, clearly never available. He asked if you like to see this, though it was a different looking thing.

After a few minutes tho I realised I wasn’t in love with it. When I bought my GMT ( from a member here) I drove 200 miles admiring it. Still do.

So, it just feel like too much money for something that I am not in love with. Although, I do find it pretty ...

Craftsman
    Just to update you guys, I went back, with the wife, tried again. You see, I was after a Daytona, clearly never available. He asked if you like to see this, though it was a different looking thing.

After a few minutes tho I realised I wasn’t in love with it. When I bought my GMT ( from a member here) I drove 200 miles admiring it. Still do.

So, it just feel like too much money for something that I am not in love with. Although, I do find it pretty ...

Good decision if you wasn’t 100% on the watch , personally I think the Yachtmaster in rhodium is a great looking watch, underrated to me but not to everyone

Good call, better to spend the money on something that really takes your fancy rather than something that just happened to be available on the day 👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    How about this for a strategic move. Ask the AD to give you the next Daytona if you buy the YM. Then punt the YM.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    How about this for a strategic move. Ask the AD to give you the next Daytona if you buy the YM. Then punt the YM.
    Would need to buy at least 10 of the YM for the AD to say yes. If it was that easy they would be over 2x retail on the second market.

Craftsman
    Even though I own the very watch you've been offered, I wouldn't buy it as a stop gap. I would also add that I didn't pay anywhere near £9k for it (privately, full set as new) in 2018.

Personally, I don't get why the Daytona is so coveted. How many owners actually use the complications; and, also they have to take the servicing premium hit for those unused complications? However, if it floats your boat, who am I to say.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Would need to buy at least 10 of the YM for the AD to say yes. If it was that easy they would be over 2x retail on the second market.
    Would partly agree with you, but more often than not you have to spend some fairly serious cash with an AD to go on the ‘list’

£9k gets their attention. I’ve actually used this strategy myself and it worked in my favour.

Master
    The Daytona just has heritage, the links to Hollywood Stars and Le Mans and such like are a big big part of the Rolex brand. Plus it has always been very hard to obtain, its positioned as a 'Thank you gift' to Rolex supporters. People want the things they can't have. The yachtmaster I guess is a lot less desirable partly because it has no heritage, its relatively new in the range.

spending on the YM will no doubt help to get you noticed by the AD and up the list for the Daytona, how much up the list I have no idea. My guess would be you'd need to spend further, but that yo'll get the Daytona for less total cost by buying and selling on these less desirables than you would buying the Daytona at the normal premium price. Whether you save enough to make it affordable for you.....no idea.

Craftsman
    So is this how it works with Rolex these days then? You have to buy a handful of watches you don't want before they let you have the one you do?

Personally, I like the look of the YM, and if that's the game you have to play to get a Daytona, might be worth it.

I suppose you're gambling that the depreciation on however many watches you have to buy ends up less than the massive appreciation on the Daytona.

Journeyman
    Keep on with your first choice ! this model is one of the ones that don't sell very well, and as every Rolex AD, they must buy several of hard-to-sell models to access popular ones !

HTH

Hey guys,

£9050

Cheers

Journeyman
    Looks great. Tho personally not a huge fan of the YM - a bit blingy for me

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    The world of Rolex is very weird right now. I would normally say just wait for your name to come up on the Daytona list, but who knows, maybe buying this will make your name more likely to come up on that list??

I have been on the waiting list since the ceramic/steel Daytonas (and the Pepsi GMT) were announced, and I have started thinking my only hope is to start buying DJs and other Rolexes at list price every few months, selling them at a loss, all in hopes of getting the AD to take me seriously for Daytona. I figure the amount lost on the DJs, YMs, or ExpIIs in this scenario would be far less than the markup on a BNIB grey market Daytona. I know this is all insane logic, but that's what this market has led me to consider.
    And I wonder if all that effort is worth it? considering it's only 'hope' that the ADs would sell you a Daytona. It's indeed crazy now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I like a good YM - but think this - would you have bought it if you were not offered it?

I had this one - rather liked it

This looks great!

well done!