closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Harry - the 91 year old DDAy veteran on BBC breakfast this morning - simply awesome

Harry - the 91 year old DDAy veteran on BBC breakfast this morning - simply awesome

I don’t know if the clip can be picked up and put on here - he had a good ten minutes on the couch.
    Following all his stunning work to raise money.

He used the phrase “bullsh*t” at one point, and the beeb must have rolled their eyes - but he was superb!

God bless him - and all those we lost on that awful campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I don’t know if the clip can be picked up and put on here - he had a good ten minutes on the couch.
    Following all his stunning work to raise money.

He used the phrase “bullsh*t” at one point, and the beeb must have rolled their eyes - but he was superb!

God bless him - and all those we lost on that awful campaign.

Yeah, just watched it, he's a star and certainly a charmer.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I watched it,you can’t not like him ,got some stories

Absolutely brilliant fella

Yea I caught that, amazing man.

According to what I've seen on the net he is now 94:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well that's choked me up. What a geezer.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    According to what I've seen on the net he is now 94:

Yeah, otherwise he was 15 when on D-Day, amazing to think that anyone fighting in WW2 would be in their 90s now, they'd have to be near 100 to have been fighting at the start of the war!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Yeah, otherwise he was 15 when on D-Day, amazing to think that anyone fighting in WW2 would be in their 90s now, they'd have to be near 100 to have been fighting at the start of the war!
    An old article...link:

Harry returns Nazi booty

by Paul Williams 9th June 2010

A wartime relic from Nazi Germany has been reunited with the town it was liberated from 65 years ago by a St Austell war veteran.

Sixty-five years after snatching Nazi mementos in the German town of Goch, former sapper and Normandy veteran Harry Billinge donated a rare Nazi Swastika banner to the town's war museum in a visit to coincide with the D-Day anniversary in Normandy.

The sprightly 84-year-old was part of the British push that invaded the German Rhineland in 1945. After fierce fighting, the town of Goch was captured by the Allies and Harry took the opportunity to help himself to some keepsakes as the occupying forces retreated.

"I spotted the flag hanging from a building in a large municipal building that had been bombed almost to destruction,” he recalled. “I took a chance and climbed up and retrieved it. I ripped it off the hooks that held it and stuffed it inside my battledress. We all took souvenirs at most of the fights to take back home to our families.”

The cheeky Cockney's booty collecting didn't stop there.

"We went inside another old building and as we searched for anyone still hiding I went into a room with a large desk that had been blown over. Inside it was full of medals, including a First Class Iron Cross complete with oak leaves. By the end of the war, like a lot of mates, I had accrued loads of this stuff."

Mr Billinge is a familiar sight in St Austell where he can be seen year round selling poppies for the British Legion. However, he has become a minor celebrity in France where he often appears on French TV as a VIP at the annual service of remembrance honouring the brave soldiers that embarked on the D-Day landings in June 1944.

In fact, Harry even has a corner of hotel dedicated in his honour and last year the French authorities commissioned a mural depicting him.

A close friend of Harry's, Dutchman Harn Kuper, spotted Harry's spoils of war on a visit to St Austell last year and photographed them to show the German war museum in Goch.

After spotting the flags, the curator immediately tried to purchase what are now very rare and collectable artefacts.

After mulling the offer over, Harry decided to part with the souvenirs — but with one caveat.

"I decided that, after all these years and despite still hating the Nazis, the right and proper thing to do was give it back. But I couldn't accept blood money — I was offered £200 for this in 1947, and by today's prices it's worth probably tens of thousands.

“Nobody should ever forget what the Nazis did and this should stand as a permanent exhibit to the sacrifices made by British lads ridding the world of this scourge."

Mr Billinge attended the 66th anniversary of D-Day, the largest joint operations wartime assault in history at Normandy, where he landed as an 18-year-old recruit.

Stand Easy soldier.
    Rest in peace Harry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-48543293

I missed this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-60998335

A great bloke - humble and modest, like most who fought in WW2, but he never forgot his comrades.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

“I’m no hero, I was lucky, I’m here…
    All the heroes are dead and I’ll never forget ’em, as long as I live”