closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko exits Baselworld.....

Master

Seiko exits Baselworld.....

It’s getting smaller and smaller. Last year the empty spaces in the mail hall were obvious.

Guess it makes sense. It is extremely expensive. Budget that can be used in different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Good spot, thanks for the link.

Baselworld without any Swatch-group brands, no Brietling and no Seiko. Thats a huge chunk of interest gone...

Heaven for the Rolex fans, but I think it's time for a very serious rethink over in Switzerland. Maybe Basel is better saved for the ultra exclusive stuff, microbrands and relaunches rather than the high street fodder. I personally would have no interest in attending without Omega and Seiko present.

Seiko booth put in a bad location in the halls,the new date being the same time as Japan has 4 national holidays.Is their anything basel cannot mess up.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Seiko do tend to release stuff all year round, so maybe they don't need the annual announcements that some other brands seem to. If you think Rolex and Tudor, Baselworld seems to be when all is revealed, but for example Seiko announced the new Alpinist range for Jan 2020 a few weeks back, so perhaps the big fair no longer suits their business plans.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 7th November 2019 at 15:21.

From Hodinkee: "While Seiko has not yet announced any alternative plans for 2020, Grand Seiko has confirmed that it will hold a separate Grand Seiko summit, in March of 2020."

(Lol at "summit", what terrible nonsense)

It doesn't bode well for Baselworld, I wonder who will be next?

Think we need a BirminghamWorld based at the NEC for us common folk, although the £10 parking always make me smart..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Think we need a BirminghamWorld based at the NEC for us common folk, although the £10 parking always make me smart..
    Definitely an opportunity for someone to do this.Add in a watch fair for dealers and talk/question shows with people in the business and a good location I.e.london and it would be great.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

£10 parking? You should be so lucky... min of £16 for any decent show these days!

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    It doesn't bode well for Baselworld, I wonder who will be next?
    Baselworld maybe?

Craftsman
    I might be in the minority but I love these shows and how they generate excitement for us mere mortals. Same as (for instance) the Geneva motor show, I feel it's important for brands to create a buzz around their models and it really helps for it all to happen at once.

The people who really only tune in to find out the next Rolex unavailable model for instance are also exposed to brands they might never have heard of simply by it all happening together.

The demise of Baselworld is a disappointing if inevitable development for watch fns the world over.

as i understand baselworld is not a show for us mere mortals or common folk anyway, its a trade show and its not for the general riff raff of the public :-) you don't get to go into the booths unless invited,press / dealers etc , we may be able to push our snotty noses up to a display window and be asked to move on , I am told a stay in a hotel, meals & show entry costs can costs as much as some of the watches .

Master
    Sign me up, I’m in !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    as i understand baselworld is not a show for us mere mortals or common folk anyway, its a trade show and its not for the general riff raff of the public :-) you don't get to go into the booths unless invited,press / dealers etc , we may be able to push our snotty noses up to a display window and be asked to move on , I am told a stay in a hotel, meals & show entry costs can costs as much as some of the watches .
    I've no interest in going (well I'd love to go but I'm never going to get there) but my point is that as watch fans we can all enjoy the show and everything that's released as, well, it's all released and it's an event.

Did you see that watch that was released in late august by that small boutique brand? No? Me neither, as I don't keep my ear to the ground waiting for very brand to release every watch. Having them all come together once a year is priceless for the industry and recognition.

Seiko don't need to be there as they release new models regularly. One big event only suits brands that make one new release a year. Basel world isnt what it used to be and in today's web orientated world a brand can make a huge worldwide unveiling quickly and easily at a moments notice. Planning an event takes too long. Baselwotls will only continue to become less relevant.