closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Things you see in the street that genuinely make you stop ......

Things you see in the street that genuinely make you stop ......

Walking through Paisley centre yesterday and saw a box on the wall. On second glance I see it is a defibrillator!! Is this a new thing that is appearing on high streets??

They're all over where I live and have saved quite a few lives.

Master
    They're everywhere!

http://www.heartsafe.org.uk/aed-locations

Fortunately not had to use one for real yet, but best bit of the First Aid course (after bandages - who didn't do mummies...?).

These have been becoming increasingly common over the past decade or so - there's at least one in my village.
    So clever my foot fell off.

If they need them anywhere Scotland is the place, right outside a shop that serves deep fried battered Pizza I'd suggest.

Master
    Yes, we have several dotted around the area, there's one in the local Tesco Express (to save the lives of those with chronic heart disease caused by a diet exclusively bought from end of isle special offers in Tesco Express), out of use phone boxes and even pubs I think. The smarter ones talk you through what to do or I believe the 999 operators can work in conjunction with them too. An excellent high return use of public money (are they publically funded or is there a charity doing this?).

Genuinely the first I’ve seen.

Once you start looking you'll realise there are a lot of them about, and that's a good thing.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Once you start looking you'll realise there are a lot of them about, and that's a good thing.
    Hidden in plain sight then apparently

They are often put in empty/disused phone boxes.

Grand Master
    Been out there a while.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had one on the wall of our local Waitrose for some time,good idea I think.

The local Council /Authorities or donator just need to make sure that they change the default access code as one local to me was removed by kids or drunks and dumped in the river.

That's All Folks

Are they situated in heart attack hotspots .. How unlucky if you have a heart attack a couple of streets away.

I was riding my bike with some pals through Rambsbottom in 2013 and spotted one when we stopped at some traffic lights. Must have been quite a new thing at the time as I pointed it out. It paid no further part in the story, but 20 mins later after riding up steepest hill in Rambsbottom I was in an ambulance after having a heart attack

Still here to tell the tale and now notice the Defibrillators everywhere

You can buy small ones for about £600 and I’d encourage everyone to think about getting one in their work environment

If you are in cardiac arrest and not near a defibrillator your chances are about 10%. That increases massively if one is on hand

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

See Defibrillators for more info, including:

• Apply for a public access defibrillator

• Defibrillator sign and poster

• How to use a defibrillator

• The Circuit - the national defibrillator network

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    They're everywhere!

Fortunately not had to use one for real yet, but best bit of the First Aid course (after bandages - who didn't do mummies...?).

We have one locally...New defibrillator for Caterham Valley...that doesn't appear on that link. But it is there...I saw it very recently.

The national defibrillator network (The Circuit) is meant to be collating all the locations, but doesn't seem to have some up with the information as yet.

Blog Entries
    Overhere, every small village and hamlet has one outside the local shop, church or other landmark. Schools have 'm, local football clubs etc. In fact every spot where a lof of people gather in those small communities. Target here is: one defibrillator per 60 addresses and / or less than 6 mins apart.

M

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Overhere, every small village and hamlet has one outside the local shop, church or other landmark. Schools have 'm, local football clubs etc. In fact every spot where a lof of people gather in those small communities. Target here is: one defibrillator per 60 addresses and / or less than 6 mins apart.

M
    Where are you based

Craftsman
    I did a first aid course years ago and they weren't taught at the time but did say that CPR is just to keep the patient going until the defib arrives.

Did a St Johns Ambulance course last year and now included a bit on using them, they're pretty much automatic so you could be talked through using one by the 999 responder on the phone with no prior experience. Given the massive difference they make to survival rates then expect to see them all over, lots of villages have done collection events/fetes/etc to raise money for a local one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raringtogo View Post
    The local Council /Authorities or donator just need to make sure that they change the default access code as one local to me was removed by kids or drunks and dumped in the river.

That's All Folks
    And how great it would be to know those people before the time of their need for assistance,only to say oh I'm so sorry it appears to have been vandalised.

A sad reflection of society unfortunately,what can be in their mind when doing these things!.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Where are you based
    Netherlands.

I thought you’d recognise that... my English isn’t perfect!

I must say that the 60 addresses/ 6 minutes goal hasn’t been achieved yet.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Netherlands.

I thought you’d recognise that... my English isn’t perfect!

I must say that the 60 addresses/ 6 minutes goal hasn’t been achieved yet.
    I’m Scottish -

so your English is better than mine

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I was riding my bike with some pals through Rambsbottom in 2013 and spotted one when we stopped at some traffic lights. Must have been quite a new thing at the time as I pointed it out. It paid no further part in the story, but 20 mins later after riding up steepest hill in Rambsbottom I was in an ambulance after having a heart attack

Still here to tell the tale and now notice the Defibrillators everywhere

You can buy small ones for about £600 and I’d encourage everyone to think about getting one in their work environment

If you are in cardiac arrest and not near a defibrillator your chances are about 10%. That increases massively if one is on hand

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    We have one at work and are trained to use it. The nearest one to my home is about half a mile down the road. That would be too far away should anybody at my home be in need of it.

It's a sobering thought that if you encounter a cardiac arrest, for every minute that the victim isn't defibrillated the chances of their survival reduces by 10%.

I'd encourage everybody to learn how to access and use one of these AED defibrillators. If the time comes when you need one you won't be in a fit state to learn a new skill in the time available.

Wouldn't it be a great thing to teach CPR & how to use an AED to kids in schools and have it included in the curriculum? Unfortunately, as I think somebody mentioned on here before, this has been debated in parliament but it was filibustered by the conservatives.

Blog Entries
    At my school we have 'm and a few educational dummies as well. In Biology class, my colleagues teach CPR and 'how-to use a D.' it's common practice at a lot of schools, I think. Two times/year teacher organise a one-day course for colleagues. Lots of sessions to choose, lots of topics to choose. Again, CPR and Defibrillator course are high on the agenda. Always more people interested than there are seats in the class room.

Local authorities in my town spend a lot of money on 'coherent communities': full-colour neighborhood magazine, money for teak park furniture, money for an open air festival with merry-go-rounds for the kids and drinks for the parents(...) last year the community received money for two defibrillators. One is positioned next to the church, the other is positioned in the shopping street that runs through my neighbourhood.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    They're everywhere!

The more the better! I know of the whereabouts of at least ten AEDs. Not one of them is indicated on that site.

Two years ago I came across a road traffic collision whilst out on my bike. There was a victim lying on his back quite a way from his car. He had been thrown out of a Caterham 7 which had spun on the exit from a rdbt and had hit an oncoming car. He was not breathing and had no pulse. The first thing I did when I got to the scene was to ask other drivers at the scene to go & try to get a defibrillator from a local village. The only one that I knew of was 3 miles away. Nobody knew where one was and nobody went off to try & find one.

Me & a woman who was a nurse performed CPR for 20 minutes at the scene which was how long it took for an ambulance and an air ambulance to arrive more or less simultaneously. Unfortunately the victim was pronounced dead at the scene. I don't expect that a defibrillator could have helped him. His heart probably stopped as the result of his death, not the cause of it. It would have been good to have had the chance of giving it a go though. I'd have wanted somebody to have had a try if it had been me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Walking through Paisley centre yesterday and saw a box on the wall. On second glance I see it is a defibrillator!! Is this a new thing that is appearing on high streets??
    Yes, it’s instead of an ambulance service since none of them meet their targets anymore, so it’s been outsourced to joe public

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    There’s one at Giffnock train station. As I understand it, you need to call the emergency services to get the code to open it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    They are often put in empty/disused phone boxes.
    I was cycling through a small village in Surrey and saw just this.

In Central London I am led to believe a lot of office buildings have them. I once had to perform bystander CPR in the street and the first emergency service to turn up were the Police, as is often the case in The City. The officer went straight across the road to the nearest office block and came back with a defibrillator. Because they are often first on scene, a lot of City Police cars actually carry their own defib kits.

On the subject of things that make you stop in the street I recently posted a thread in the Boys Room about a peculiar sight that I saw in Islington last week. I won’t post the pics here, it’s not that fruity though.

I did also post somewhere on the forum about cycling back through Stamford Hill early on Sunday morning and seeing something like 15 adult toys strewn down the middle of the road. I was leaning over the handlebars laughing so loud and hard. It was on a quiet genteel back street and that made it even funnier!

And oddly enough, just seen this in the Museum of Bags and Purses in Amsterdam!

Yeah, I know. Don’t ask....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    We have one locally...New defibrillator for Caterham Valley...that doesn't appear on that link. But it is there...I saw it very recently.

The national defibrillator network (The Circuit) is meant to be collating all the locations, but doesn't seem to have some up with the information as yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    The more the better! I know of the whereabouts of at least ten AEDs. Not one of them is indicated on that site.

I enquired online if a Surrey health agency could provide a list of public access AEDs. They couldn't but they did ask the British Heart Foundation who provided this response:

We are currently working with a number of Ambulance Services to go-live with the National Defibrillator Database early next year. Unfortunately we are not able to provide you with this information at this time. If you are able to reach out to the South East Coast Ambulance Service they should be able to assist you with this request and ensure that the Caterham defibrillator is added to their system so it can be used in emergencies. However, it would be helpful for us to know why the member of the public is requesting this information as it could help us with our rollout next year?

Looking online for 'defibrillator South East Coast Ambulance Service' I turned up a 2019 FoI request and reply...link. That tells me that there are not the two or three AEDs I knew of in my local area, but 14! Hopefully the BHF etc will come up with something next year as promised in their reply.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    If they need them anywhere Scotland is the place, right outside a shop that serves deep fried battered Pizza I'd suggest.
    The pizza isn't battered-just deep fried.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The pizza isn't battered-just deep fried.
    Depends where you go, pizza supper? Or pizza crunch supper.

Our company has them located in the reception area of our big buildings. At least 4 people on site are trained to use them too. Bloody good idea and hopefully it'll save a life or two.

Nearest one to me is a couple mins by car at a Malmaison reception!

Learn something new every day

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Nearest one to me is a couple mins by car at a Malmaison reception!

Learn something new every day
    You'll need one closer if it's to be of any use to you! That's why there needs to be so many of them. I'm seriously considering buying an AED and training my family how to use it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzafaegreenock View Post
    Depends where you go, pizza supper? Or pizza crunch supper.
    Sweet Jesus
    I was unaware of such a delicacy.

Maybe because the site is for public access defibrillators?

Master
    The one outside the football club which we use as a base for the Saturday Parkruns in Harrow only lasted about 3 months before it was stolen. We now have our own which is taken to the event.

Master
    You'll need one closer if it's to be of any use to you! That's why there needs to be so many of them. I'm seriously considering buying an AED and training my family how to use it.
    Me too, seriously considering buying one for home.