closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 44 of 44

Thread: Coat for commuting

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290

    Coat for commuting

    Hoping to tap into the collective knowledge. Just started a new role involving potentially cold platforms, warm trains and roasting underground, followed by a walk to the office.

    Iím struggling for something that will keep me warm enough, but cool enough, if such a thing is even possible.

    Originally purchased an insulated parka & returned as looked like I was at some artic base camp. Purchased a slimmer/lighter one & again decided too much, so returned.

    I have a quilted Barbour jacket which is too cold in winter but too warm at the moment & am stripping down to my shirt on the underground.

    Am I searching for the impossible, as I cannot seem to find something ticking all the boxes. Tri-climate seemed a possible option, but know the TNF thermobol version is going to be too warm with the inner, as even a cheap joules coat like that was very warm.

    Frustrated commuter, and given my first time using a train, dear lord are some people just filthy with vile habits...but please keep on the coat topic. TIA.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,595
    Blog Entries
    1
    What about those jackets that have heating elements in them? You can then turn them on and off at will.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    2,587
    My kids have always had jack Wolfskin 3 in 1 jackets with fleeces zipped in which seem to work really well the adults version in black or dark blue are smart enough and seem to be pretty well made for the price point.

    Jack Wolfskin Men's Iceland 3-in-1 Jacket, Black (Black), S https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XHWKK..._HVXWDbJ3GY1JK

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    980
    Something wool as it regulates temperature. With down youíll just keep heating up.

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,739
    Perhaps you should think about a few thin layers rather than relying on one outer coat? An outer coat needs to be waterproof, but I favour a light one with a fleece underneath for cold weather.

    Hat and gloves help too, and theyíre easy to take on and off.

    The best solution is early retirement, Iíd recommend it to everyone.

  6. #6
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    12,152
    For commuting, I'd only consider a Covert.

    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Interesting on the wool side of things as had discounted it be the more modern synthetics / 3in1.

    Got a short list of 3 TNF jackets to look at that are all 3in1 but will open up to looking back at something more traditional.

    I strangely never thought of wool as waterproof due to lanolin, but am guessing ní that is only up to a point vs something BF like a goretex one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    You are looking for a 20į comfort zone from one garment, thatís never going to happen.
    Whatever you do itís going to mean shedding a layer when you go from train platform at -2 with windchill to a tube at 16į with high moisture content due to people breathing.
    And it needs to be showerproof.
    Even the best technical fabric will struggle.

    I have loads of coats/jackets and my go-to for winter is a Harris tweed one with a button in liner. Itís still going to be too warm on the tube though.

    If I didnít want to be looking like an outdoors activity centre guide I would maybe look at a trench coat/Mac made of technical fabrics and add a liner/gilet underneath

    Arcteryx and UBR do them, not cheap though. There is another Scandinavian brand who do something similar but I canít remember the name

  9. #9
    What are others wearing, must be loads of commuters in a similar situation?

    Not sure that shedding/replacing/carrying layers particularly practical on a busy commute.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    For commuting, I'd only consider a Covert.

    I had to look that up! Let me get this right, a Covert is the brownish, Crombie type overcoat, with or without a velvet collar?

    Agree on wool. In all my years of commuting Iíve used a wool coat. Find temperature control more comfortable when switching from walk, train, walk, tube, walk to place of work. Synthetic, down, outdoor gear, far too hot and slow to cool down when switching.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Master wildheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Essex - Hopefully on a golf course!
    Posts
    7,531
    Light weight Berghaus for me never need much more in Essex or London, maybe a Gilet if it gets really cold.

  12. #12
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    12,152
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I had to look that up! Let me get this right, a Covert is the brownish, Crombie type overcoat, with or without a velvet collar?
    Yes, correct; I've had one since I was 21. Having eventually arrived at the conclusion that the original one was wearing out rather than still wearing in, its replacement had to be one without a velvet collar thanks to Monsieur Fromage (though, I hasten to add, his isn't actually a Covert - it's missing a few vital details).

    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What are others wearing, must be loads of commuters in a similar situation?

    Not sure that shedding/replacing/carrying layers particularly practical on a busy commute.
    Will probably aim to shed ahead of boarding and soak up the cold!

    Others gave me no real clue; people with (frankly) ridiculously heavy Canada Goose parkas through to people wearing a t-shirt.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    You are looking for a 20į comfort zone from one garment, thatís never going to happen.
    Whatever you do itís going to mean shedding a layer when you go from train platform at -2 with windchill to a tube at 16į with high moisture content due to people breathing.
    And it needs to be showerproof.
    Even the best technical fabric will struggle.

    I have loads of coats/jackets and my go-to for winter is a Harris tweed one with a button in liner. Itís still going to be too warm on the tube though.

    If I didnít want to be looking like an outdoors activity centre guide I would maybe look at a trench coat/Mac made of technical fabrics and add a liner/gilet underneath

    Arcteryx and UBR do them, not cheap though. There is another Scandinavian brand who do something similar but I canít remember the name
    Agree, that is where I am struggling; hunting the impossible.

    Will have a look at the technical fabric macs, the outdoor activity centre look is really not me!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Will probably aim to shed ahead of boarding and soak up the cold!

    Others gave me no real clue; people with (frankly) ridiculously heavy Canada Goose parkas through to people wearing a t-shirt.
    No-one's dying out there, wear something in between, you'll be okay!

  16. #16
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    For commuting, I'd only consider a Covert.

    Very smart.

    The company is Co-owned by Eric Clapton incidentally.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  17. #17
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    6,964
    I was having the same problem. All my coats were either thin waterproofs, thick padded waterproofs or just casual non-waterproofs. And I travel on the Victoria line - the hottest line ever.

    I did some research and settled on a Buffalo Fell jacket. I haven't looked back. It's thin enough to not be boiling on the tube and easily stashed, but plenty warm enough on the cold walk to the station and to work. And made in Sheffield



    http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/prod.../#colourswitch

    The other one I wear is a Barbour Fell jacket, but this is warmer and thicker, although not too bad on the tube.



    Not sure if it's still available though?

    The Buffalo is a clear winner for me.

  18. #18
    Craftsman Templogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    680
    Living this far north I would recommend a wool jumper with an eVent jacket with pit zips. Or do without the latter and just wear the jumper. Soaking wet they are still warm. Thatís probably OTT for desk jockeys though!

    This time of year I wear a Guernsey jumper, which gets its final rinse in water with a spoon of almond oil. The only hot place I go is the office 24.8 degrees C. We have women to keep warm!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

    Arcteryx and UBR do them, not cheap though. There is another Scandinavian brand who do something similar but I canít remember the name
    Marrkt have a few second hand Veilance as well as other outerwear. Good site actually.

  20. #20
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    12,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Very smart.

    The company is Co-owned by Eric Clapton incidentally.
    Does that mean it's the Patek of coats ?
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  21. #21
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    6,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

    Not sure that shedding/replacing/carrying layers particularly practical on a busy commute.
    It isn't. Nightmare in fact.

    The other coat I forgot is the Paramo PŠjaro. Like the Buffalo Fell, it's thin but warm and has sleeve/underarm zips to release heat.


  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It isn't. Nightmare in fact.

    The other coat I forgot is the Paramo PŠjaro. Like the Buffalo Fell, it's thin but warm and has sleeve/underarm zips to release heat.

    Canít believe I didnít think of this, the paramo halcon (same coat I think) is my dog walking coat every day for 90% of the year and is superb only days where no rain at all is possible are when it isnít worn.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Loving the veilance coat, but a little on the pricey side for my budget, unfortunately.

    Paramo is an amazing jacket, have a friend who swears by his, but a little too 'outdoor pursuit instructor' for me really.

    I'm rapidly coming to the view of getting a thin gilet to wear under my quilted Barbour jacket & just seeing how I get on.

    I did want to upgrade my joules 'thermoball' for the real deal, but the joules one is often too warm when walking.

    Can't decide whether to buy the TNF Zaneck as a weekend parka again or not...I am clearly now over thinking it all; should just buy another watch, much easier!
    Last edited by Mj2k; 7th November 2019 at 21:32.

  24. #24
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,519
    I find my old, heavy leather jacket is perfect in most weathers, unless itís really hot (rare in Manchester!)

  25. #25
    Everyone has their own personal opinions but I really rate the Arcteryx Proton Lt hoody (great durability, insulation and actually breathable) and the Patagonia Isthmus parka (bombproof and loads of pockets)...good luck !

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Everyone has their own personal opinions but I really rate the Arcteryx Proton Lt hoody (great durability, insulation and actually breathable) and the Patagonia Isthmus parka (bombproof and loads of pockets)...good luck !
    Having purchased the TNF Canyonlands from you that led to me owning 1 in every colour, I still keep coming back to your SC post!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    I'm a big fan of layering (as mentioned in previous posts) and like insulated jackets that can be used as midlayer with a waterproof or lightweight windbreaker on top or just on its own when you need more breathability...the Proton is brilliant in this regard and designed for mountaineers and climbers who don't want to overheat yet stay warm.

  28. #28
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    216
    I've got this.

    https://www.marksandspencer.com/funn.../p/clp60266744

    Currently I walk around in the cold in it but also wear when in the car. Seems to cover both options without me sweating to death or freezing.

  29. #29
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Very smart.

    The company is Co-owned by Eric Clapton incidentally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Does that mean it's the Patek of coats ?
    Very probably.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  30. #30
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    355
    Iíve just got one of these from Moose Knuckles

    https://www.mooseknucklescanada.com/...parka-m39mp207

    It can be fairly smart or casual, is very water resistant, has a hood and is warm, so far, Iím really pleased with it.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    1,151
    Mission Workshop have a few options that could work. This one may be closest to what you are after but have a look at all their jackets.

    https://missionworkshop.com/collecti...nt=25625541641

    I have a lot of their stuff and it is all great.

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,884
    I keep reading this as Goat for commuting.

  33. #33
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,681
    Sounds like you want something gore Tex and perhaps some layers too as it gets colder.

  34. #34
    Master sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK/Canada
    Posts
    4,437
    I wear a North Face Bombay until the temperature gets below freezing. I usually have a t-shirt, shirt and light sweater on underneath and it works fine for most types of weather. Unzipping it on the train is enough to keep cool.



    Add a hat, gloves, earmuffs and snood, and I have a toasty, if not stylish, cold-weather get up.

    Then I have a heavy Canada Goose parka for sub-zero temps.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Iíve just got one of these from Moose Knuckles

    https://www.mooseknucklescanada.com/...parka-m39mp207

    It can be fairly smart or casual, is very water resistant, has a hood and is warm, so far, Iím really pleased with it.
    Moose Knuckle, want one just for the name!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Mission Workshop have a few options that could work. This one may be closest to what you are after but have a look at all their jackets.

    https://missionworkshop.com/collecti...nt=25625541641

    I have a lot of their stuff and it is all great.
    They do look good, will pop them into favourites to research further


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I wear a North Face Bombay until the temperature gets below freezing. I usually have a t-shirt, shirt and light sweater on underneath and it works fine for most types of weather. Unzipping it on the train is enough to keep cool.



    Add a hat, gloves, earmuffs and snood, and I have a toasty, if not stylish, cold-weather get up.

    Then I have a heavy Canada Goose parka for sub-zero temps.
    Def too warm for me, I canít wear my joules version unzipped without dripping with sweat.

    Have another issue that as soon as there is no moving air, I have mild panic attacks, so maybe carrying a battery fan might help.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds like you want something gore Tex and perhaps some layers too as it gets colder.
    Iíve purchased a couple of arcteryx items to try now, one mid layer from Dave, whoís been great via pm & an outer wind proof layer direct. Seems to offer a great combo for what I need, but still need a smarter option for meetings, so will look at the above options.

    Thanks again to the forum, some great input to help shape my thinking. Also realise I need a new wool coat, always used to wear one until I lost it in a pub.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    Journeyman Tabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    88
    I've been rocking a Montane Featherlight Down for the past year. Great for going to work in and casual weekend attire.

    https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mou...xoCoa0QAvD_BwE

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Iíve purchased a couple of arcteryx items to try now, one mid layer from Dave, whoís been great via pm & an outer wind proof layer direct. Seems to offer a great combo for what I need, but still need a smarter option for meetings, so will look at the above options.

    Thanks again to the forum, some great input to help shape my thinking. Also realise I need a new wool coat, always used to wear one until I lost it in a pub.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If anyone ever wants a coat even remotely technical, Arcteryx is the way to go, they are fantastic.

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Moose Knuckle, want one just for the name!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha, it is a great name. They're Canadian, similar attributes to Canada geese, but less sporty and a bit more discrete.

  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,605
    As has been stated, you'll not find a coat that is suitable for both extremes. Buy a coat that keeps you warm in the cold while wearing a jumper undermeath. Then take it off before getting on the tube.

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    445
    Can't go too far wrong with wool. I was surprised how waterproof (or should that be resist ?) my woollen pea coat was. Stood in steady rain last night for half an hour or so and it hadn't seeped through. I've worn the same coat on the commute and it is just a case of unbuttoning it when it gets hot on the tube.

    Tapatapatapatapatalk

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    For commuting, I'd only consider a Covert.

    And a James Smith City umbrella.

    Tapatapatapatapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •