closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coat for commuting

Master

Coat for commuting

Hoping to tap into the collective knowledge. Just started a new role involving potentially cold platforms, warm trains and roasting underground, followed by a walk to the office.

I’m struggling for something that will keep me warm enough, but cool enough, if such a thing is even possible.

Originally purchased an insulated parka & returned as looked like I was at some artic base camp. Purchased a slimmer/lighter one & again decided too much, so returned.

I have a quilted Barbour jacket which is too cold in winter but too warm at the moment & am stripping down to my shirt on the underground.

Am I searching for the impossible, as I cannot seem to find something ticking all the boxes. Tri-climate seemed a possible option, but know the TNF thermobol version is going to be too warm with the inner, as even a cheap joules coat like that was very warm.

Frustrated commuter, and given my first time using a train, dear lord are some people just filthy with vile habits...but please keep on the coat topic. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    What about those jackets that have heating elements in them? You can then turn them on and off at will.

Master
    My kids have always had jack Wolfskin 3 in 1 jackets with fleeces zipped in which seem to work really well the adults version in black or dark blue are smart enough and seem to be pretty well made for the price point.

Jack Wolfskin Men's Iceland 3-in-1 Jacket, Black (Black), S https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XHWKK..._HVXWDbJ3GY1JK

Master
    Something wool as it regulates temperature. With down you’ll just keep heating up.

Grand Master
    Perhaps you should think about a few thin layers rather than relying on one outer coat? An outer coat needs to be waterproof, but I favour a light one with a fleece underneath for cold weather.

Hat and gloves help too, and they’re easy to take on and off.

The best solution is early retirement, I’d recommend it to everyone.

For commuting, I'd only consider a Covert.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Interesting on the wool side of things as had discounted it be the more modern synthetics / 3in1.

Got a short list of 3 TNF jackets to look at that are all 3in1 but will open up to looking back at something more traditional.

I strangely never thought of wool as waterproof due to lanolin, but am guessing n’ that is only up to a point vs something BF like a goretex one.

You are looking for a 20° comfort zone from one garment, that’s never going to happen.
    Whatever you do it’s going to mean shedding a layer when you go from train platform at -2 with windchill to a tube at 16° with high moisture content due to people breathing.
    And it needs to be showerproof.
    Even the best technical fabric will struggle.

I have loads of coats/jackets and my go-to for winter is a Harris tweed one with a button in liner. It’s still going to be too warm on the tube though.

If I didn’t want to be looking like an outdoors activity centre guide I would maybe look at a trench coat/Mac made of technical fabrics and add a liner/gilet underneath

Arcteryx and UBR do them, not cheap though. There is another Scandinavian brand who do something similar but I can’t remember the name

What are others wearing, must be loads of commuters in a similar situation?

Not sure that shedding/replacing/carrying layers particularly practical on a busy commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

I had to look that up! Let me get this right, a Covert is the brownish, Crombie type overcoat, with or without a velvet collar?

Agree on wool. In all my years of commuting I’ve used a wool coat. Find temperature control more comfortable when switching from walk, train, walk, tube, walk to place of work. Synthetic, down, outdoor gear, far too hot and slow to cool down when switching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Light weight Berghaus for me never need much more in Essex or London, maybe a Gilet if it gets really cold.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I had to look that up! Let me get this right, a Covert is the brownish, Crombie type overcoat, with or without a velvet collar?
    Yes, correct; I've had one since I was 21. Having eventually arrived at the conclusion that the original one was wearing out rather than still wearing in, its replacement had to be one without a velvet collar thanks to Monsieur Fromage (though, I hasten to add, his isn't actually a Covert - it's missing a few vital details).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What are others wearing, must be loads of commuters in a similar situation?

Not sure that shedding/replacing/carrying layers particularly practical on a busy commute.
    Will probably aim to shed ahead of boarding and soak up the cold!

Others gave me no real clue; people with (frankly) ridiculously heavy Canada Goose parkas through to people wearing a t-shirt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    You are looking for a 20° comfort zone from one garment, that’s never going to happen.
    Whatever you do it’s going to mean shedding a layer when you go from train platform at -2 with windchill to a tube at 16° with high moisture content due to people breathing.
    And it needs to be showerproof.
    Even the best technical fabric will struggle.

I have loads of coats/jackets and my go-to for winter is a Harris tweed one with a button in liner. It’s still going to be too warm on the tube though.

If I didn’t want to be looking like an outdoors activity centre guide I would maybe look at a trench coat/Mac made of technical fabrics and add a liner/gilet underneath

Arcteryx and UBR do them, not cheap though. There is another Scandinavian brand who do something similar but I can’t remember the name
    Agree, that is where I am struggling; hunting the impossible.

Will have a look at the technical fabric macs, the outdoor activity centre look is really not me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Will probably aim to shed ahead of boarding and soak up the cold!

Others gave me no real clue; people with (frankly) ridiculously heavy Canada Goose parkas through to people wearing a t-shirt.
    No-one's dying out there, wear something in between, you'll be okay!

Very smart.

The company is Co-owned by Eric Clapton incidentally.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I was having the same problem. All my coats were either thin waterproofs, thick padded waterproofs or just casual non-waterproofs. And I travel on the Victoria line - the hottest line ever.

I did some research and settled on a Buffalo Fell jacket. I haven't looked back. It's thin enough to not be boiling on the tube and easily stashed, but plenty warm enough on the cold walk to the station and to work. And made in Sheffield

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/prod.../#colourswitch

The other one I wear is a Barbour Fell jacket, but this is warmer and thicker, although not too bad on the tube.

Not sure if it's still available though?

The Buffalo is a clear winner for me.

Living this far north I would recommend a wool jumper with an eVent jacket with pit zips. Or do without the latter and just wear the jumper. Soaking wet they are still warm. That’s probably OTT for desk jockeys though!

This time of year I wear a Guernsey jumper, which gets its final rinse in water with a spoon of almond oil. The only hot place I go is the office 24.8 degrees C. We have women to keep warm!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

Marrkt have a few second hand Veilance as well as other outerwear. Good site actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Very smart.

Does that mean it's the Patek of coats ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

It isn't. Nightmare in fact.

The other coat I forgot is the Paramo Pájaro. Like the Buffalo Fell, it's thin but warm and has sleeve/underarm zips to release heat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It isn't. Nightmare in fact.

The other coat I forgot is the Paramo Pájaro. Like the Buffalo Fell, it's thin but warm and has sleeve/underarm zips to release heat.

Can’t believe I didn’t think of this, the paramo halcon (same coat I think) is my dog walking coat every day for 90% of the year and is superb only days where no rain at all is possible are when it isn’t worn.

Master
    Loving the veilance coat, but a little on the pricey side for my budget, unfortunately.

Paramo is an amazing jacket, have a friend who swears by his, but a little too 'outdoor pursuit instructor' for me really.

I'm rapidly coming to the view of getting a thin gilet to wear under my quilted Barbour jacket & just seeing how I get on.

I did want to upgrade my joules 'thermoball' for the real deal, but the joules one is often too warm when walking.

Can't decide whether to buy the TNF Zaneck as a weekend parka again or not...I am clearly now over thinking it all; should just buy another watch, much easier!
    Last edited by Mj2k; 7th November 2019 at 21:32.

I find my old, heavy leather jacket is perfect in most weathers, unless it’s really hot (rare in Manchester!)

Everyone has their own personal opinions but I really rate the Arcteryx Proton Lt hoody (great durability, insulation and actually breathable) and the Patagonia Isthmus parka (bombproof and loads of pockets)...good luck !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Everyone has their own personal opinions but I really rate the Arcteryx Proton Lt hoody (great durability, insulation and actually breathable) and the Patagonia Isthmus parka (bombproof and loads of pockets)...good luck !
    Having purchased the TNF Canyonlands from you that led to me owning 1 in every colour, I still keep coming back to your SC post!

I'm a big fan of layering (as mentioned in previous posts) and like insulated jackets that can be used as midlayer with a waterproof or lightweight windbreaker on top or just on its own when you need more breathability...the Proton is brilliant in this regard and designed for mountaineers and climbers who don't want to overheat yet stay warm.

Craftsman
    I've got this.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/funn.../p/clp60266744

Currently I walk around in the cold in it but also wear when in the car. Seems to cover both options without me sweating to death or freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Very smart.

Does that mean it's the Patek of coats ?
    Very probably.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    I’ve just got one of these from Moose Knuckles

https://www.mooseknucklescanada.com/...parka-m39mp207

It can be fairly smart or casual, is very water resistant, has a hood and is warm, so far, I’m really pleased with it.

Master
    Mission Workshop have a few options that could work. This one may be closest to what you are after but have a look at all their jackets.

https://missionworkshop.com/collecti...nt=25625541641

I have a lot of their stuff and it is all great.

Master
    I keep reading this as Goat for commuting.

Sounds like you want something gore Tex and perhaps some layers too as it gets colder.

I wear a North Face Bombay until the temperature gets below freezing. I usually have a t-shirt, shirt and light sweater on underneath and it works fine for most types of weather. Unzipping it on the train is enough to keep cool.

Add a hat, gloves, earmuffs and snood, and I have a toasty, if not stylish, cold-weather get up.

Then I have a heavy Canada Goose parka for sub-zero temps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    I’ve just got one of these from Moose Knuckles

https://www.mooseknucklescanada.com/...parka-m39mp207

It can be fairly smart or casual, is very water resistant, has a hood and is warm, so far, I’m really pleased with it.
    Moose Knuckle, want one just for the name!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Mission Workshop have a few options that could work. This one may be closest to what you are after but have a look at all their jackets.

https://missionworkshop.com/collecti...nt=25625541641

I have a lot of their stuff and it is all great.
    They do look good, will pop them into favourites to research further

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I wear a North Face Bombay until the temperature gets below freezing. I usually have a t-shirt, shirt and light sweater on underneath and it works fine for most types of weather. Unzipping it on the train is enough to keep cool.

Add a hat, gloves, earmuffs and snood, and I have a toasty, if not stylish, cold-weather get up.

Then I have a heavy Canada Goose parka for sub-zero temps.
    Def too warm for me, I can’t wear my joules version unzipped without dripping with sweat.

Have another issue that as soon as there is no moving air, I have mild panic attacks, so maybe carrying a battery fan might help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds like you want something gore Tex and perhaps some layers too as it gets colder.
    I’ve purchased a couple of arcteryx items to try now, one mid layer from Dave, who’s been great via pm & an outer wind proof layer direct. Seems to offer a great combo for what I need, but still need a smarter option for meetings, so will look at the above options.

Thanks again to the forum, some great input to help shape my thinking. Also realise I need a new wool coat, always used to wear one until I lost it in a pub.

I've been rocking a Montane Featherlight Down for the past year. Great for going to work in and casual weekend attire.

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mou...xoCoa0QAvD_BwE

Craftsman
    I’ve purchased a couple of arcteryx items to try now, one mid layer from Dave, who’s been great via pm & an outer wind proof layer direct. Seems to offer a great combo for what I need, but still need a smarter option for meetings, so will look at the above options.

Thanks again to the forum, some great input to help shape my thinking. Also realise I need a new wool coat, always used to wear one until I lost it in a pub.

If anyone ever wants a coat even remotely technical, Arcteryx is the way to go, they are fantastic.

Craftsman
    Moose Knuckle, want one just for the name!

Ha, it is a great name. They're Canadian, similar attributes to Canada geese, but less sporty and a bit more discrete.

Master
    As has been stated, you'll not find a coat that is suitable for both extremes. Buy a coat that keeps you warm in the cold while wearing a jumper undermeath. Then take it off before getting on the tube.

Master
    Can't go too far wrong with wool. I was surprised how waterproof (or should that be resist ?) my woollen pea coat was. Stood in steady rain last night for half an hour or so and it hadn't seeped through. I've worn the same coat on the commute and it is just a case of unbuttoning it when it gets hot on the tube.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master

And a James Smith City umbrella.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    Thread bump...

I just got a Barbour National Trust Trap jacket from JL with the current 20% off specifically for the tube journey into work. Early days but so far so good. The irony that the heating had "issues" at work so it was fecking freezing today did not escape me!!