closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damasko - inside the Manufacture

Damasko - inside the Manufacture

I recently picked up my first Damasko (DS30) and I'm impressed. Submarine steel, permanently lubricated 'Damasko system' screw down crown, 200mm water resistant and only 10mm thick! Legibility is off the scale and it's been regulated to within a second a day. It's an over engineered precision instrument that feels like it was designed to be almost indestructible.

This video shows the Damasko approach to watchmaking:

Thanks for posting. I'm watching Damasko closely at the moment. Here's a little post I did on another forum... (Teaching some of you to suck eggs, I know, but maybe you'll find something of interest in there.)

OK. Some of you might know (I may have mentioned it) that I own a DC66.

I love it - I only have about four watches at the moment, and I wear this one the most, by far. It's tough, useful, legible and accurate.

There are now four Damasko chronographs with bezels, and each model number has its variants - PVD cases, splashes of colour, left-handers.

The basic DC66. Valjoux 7750 movement, 42mm diameter under 14mm thick (not too shabby for a 7750 movement watch.) 22mm lugs, and all the ridiculous Damasko tech. (The bezel is - no word of a lie - the best action I've ever experienced on a watch.) My watch is a year or so old, and the only marks on it are light touches on the AR coating on the crystal. Day/date, obvs.

The DC80. This is the same size as the DC66, but uses a modified 7750 with a central minute counter to go along with the centre minutes. I like it, but it's a bit... austere? Different (straight) hands. But no date. Countdown bezel.

Then the DC82. As above, but a 4:30 date. I offer no judgement on that placing. I know it's a sensitive subject on here. Countdown bezel, again.

And now, the centre-chronograph movement but with a million subdials. DC86. I hope you like green. But now available with the superior 12-hour bezel as an option.

First things first - I don't like the DC86. I think the subdials are messy. The 24-hour dial is unnecessary, the running seconds at 9 I can do without, and while the hour counter is OK, and sometimes useful, I could live without it. (I do appreciate that Damasko has made all the chrono hands green while the time hands are white.) But again with the awkward date placing. The DC86 in the pic I've shown is a PVD case, but I think the basic model is steel - the website just doesn't update the picture when you choose that option.

Other thing about the DC86, and it's a small thing, but I think it would change the feel of the watch. It's slightly thicker because the crystal is slightly domed. All Damaskos to this point have had flat sapphire crystals. I'd really want to see a Damasko with a domed crystal before I committed.

The best of them (To my mind) is the DC82 - clean dial, date. If they made it with a 12-hour bezel, then I'd be sold. They probably would, if you ask them - Damasko are open to doing watches to order.

I have a house on the market at the moment. When It sells, I'll try a DC82. It might not win the cage match with my DC66, but it'll be fun to see it try.

I only discovered Damasko fairly recently, and really, really like them - I now have a DA38, DA46 and DA47. I'm attracted by the wonderful legibility of both the time and the day/date, and the whole "no nonsense" character of the watches.

I do love the blue face on that DC66 - must resist!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I only discovered Damasko fairly recently, and really, really like them - I now have a DA38, DA46 and DA47. I'm attracted by the wonderful legibility of both the time and the day/date, and the whole "no nonsense" character of the watches.

I do love the blue face on that DC66 - must resist!
    I hate to disappoint, but it’s not blue. The blue is from the AR coating on the crystal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not had my DS 30 long,but impressed with it ,I suspect another will be on the cards before long.

Craftsman
    They look great!

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    I hate to disappoint, but it’s not blue. The blue is from the AR coating on the crystal.
    Bugger!

I know that Damasko do a whole range of different coloured seconds hands - perhaps their next move should be to offer different dial colours (other than the current black and white/lume)?

At least it's saved me some money for now. :-)

Master
    I've a couple, a DA47 and a DC56si, and whilst I'm very careful with my watches, I love that the hardened steel negates even the smallest worry about accidentally marking them. Pretty much the perfect tool watch in my eyes and a very credible small watchmaker that deserve greater popularity.
    As they refine their designs and calibers I expect they'll go from strength to strength.

Bugger!

I know that Damasko do a whole range of different coloured seconds hands - perhaps their next move should be to offer different dial colours (other than the current black and white/lume)?

Yeah, it's the AR coating. There are different coloured dials on the diving watches, but I'm not convinced about those...

Bugger!

Indeed. I know they offer a blue dial on the DS30 but it’s a bit too light for my taste..

Craftsman
    Great video, I'm a big fan of the German ethos in general and always like the look of Damasko watches.
    Is it wrong that I feel I can't own one at the same time as a Sinn though?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Great video, I'm a big fan of the German ethos in general and always like the look of Damasko watches.
    Is it wrong that I feel I can't own one at the same time as a Sinn though?!
    I own one of each make,don’t see a problem.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I own one of each make,don’t see a problem.
    Doesn’t Sinn have a bit more history behind them while Damasko is more modern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very impressed with their down to earth and honest approach.
    Thanks for posting the video.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxia View Post
    Doesn’t Sinn have a bit more history behind them while Damasko is more modern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes,but I still don’t see a problem with owning both makes.

I've been close to buying one a few times but never fully committed, maybe I will next time. Who knows?

Craftsman
    Nice videos!

Good to see them going ahead with their new movements too: https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/t...ies/movements/

I like several of their watches but I dislike the date function and dislike the day/date even more.

They don't make a no date three hand watch at all. That's a shame. I'd love a DS30 with no date...

(not my watch - or anyone else's)

Craftsman
    Their DS30 model is a bit of an ongoing regret for me. Saw one for a very decent price on the second hand market, wrung my hands about it a bit too long, someone else grabbed it, and I've never seen a used one coming close to an attainable price (for my paltry budget) since then. I consider them serious OWG-material, especially with the white seconds hand.

I've had several including this trio, which at the time (when Damasko weren't making watches) was very hard to assemble

The DA 37, was # 37, the DC 57 was # 88 and the DC 67 was # 15.

Also had a DC 56 & a DC 66

I now just have DC 67 # 28,

This was one of the very first 67's from when they restarted making watches in 2009. I'd placed an order many months before & one day I got a message to say my watch was ready. I foolishly sold it in 2015 to Cat7 of this parish who kindly offered me first refusal in early 2018 to buy it back, so I did.

All the the Damasko's I've had have kept brilliant time & they really do shrug off day to day wear & tear remarkably well.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Bought my first,a DA37,from abraxas here in I think 2006, then a DC67 also from the forum. Too much white, so the 67 went to be replaced by a DC56 from Eddie when he was AD in 2008. They both still look new after a lot of wear. I wonder where DC67 #17 is now? The 37 should stay on a Bond Nato really, it's #0007.

F.T.F.A.

I’m a big fan! I have a 36 (think that’s the model)

Ultra-clean looks and absolutely flat-line on a timegrapher.

Love the Chrono in the first post, but couldn’t justify.

to my mind - they make a far more pleasing watch than SINN, which most are starting to look a bit shonky to me.

Journeyman
    I've been eying the DA46 for a good while, but it bothers me that there is no lume on the numerals. It's a function I use (unfortunately) when I wake during the night & while travelling.
    I know about the DA47, but I'm not convinced yet that I'll like a white dial.
    Has anyone here had a hard time to choose between DA46/47 or 36/37?

Master
    Interesting video, will have to try one of these soon. Any body own a PVD model? just wondered if the coating is tough/scratch resistant.

Cool video. I'm a big fan of the dsubs they're just a touch too big for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Any body own a PVD model? just wondered if the coating is tough/scratch resistant.
    My dc56si is the black version and it was described as well used when I bought it but there's barely a mark on it so I think that says it's as good as the standard hardened steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Interesting video, will have to try one of these soon. Any body own a PVD model? just wondered if the coating is tough/scratch resistant.
    My black-cased DA47 (which I bought second or third-hand) dates from 2011 and still looks brand new.

I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve never really taken much interest in Damsko but have seen a couple in Jura’s Leeds store, thinking they look pretty cool. Now I know a bit more from the video and this thread, I really want one!

I think I might have to start selling a few pieces before I buy anything else though. Otherwise my usual ‘that old thing’ get out of jail card, isn’t going to be sufficient!

Master
    Thanks for the info Philip and Dave. Going to try a DC66 black, its a shame there is no black bracelet.

Thanks to this enabling forum I'm now considering another watch. I really like the look of the Damasko DS30 and am keen to see one in the flesh. I'm West Mids based and a quick google suggests that Jura in Ludlow, Shropshire is the closest retailer to me. Does anyone know of any closer Damasko stockists? Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Thanks to this enabling forum I'm now considering another watch. I really like the look of the Damasko DS30 and am keen to see one in the flesh. I'm West Mids based and a quick google suggests that Jura in Ludlow, Shropshire is the closest retailer to me. Does anyone know of any closer Damasko stockists? Thanks.
    Your main choices will be Jura or Neil at Chronomaster in Bolton.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I couldn't find a dedicated 'Damasko appreciation' thread so I'm bumping this to share my thoughts on my new DS30 that I got from SC recently. After wearing it for a week solid, I am very impressed. I was worried that may it be too similar to my MarkXVIII but it's sufficiently different to justify keeping both.

The Good
    -Timekeeping from the ETA 2824-2 is exceptional at less than +1 secs per day so far.
    -The 39mm case size in this type of pilot's watch design is perfect for my 7 inch wrist
    -I love the hue of the submarine steel. It has a luster that elevates it from being dull
    -The submarine steel appears to be genuinely scratch resistant. My watch was over 12 months old but there isn't a scratch or mark on it anywhere. I also did a hamfisted strap change where I dragged the spring bars against the lugs. On any other stainless steel watch there would be marks all over the lugs but I'm pleased to say that the case of the DS30 remains pristine.
    -The florescent yellow seconds hand and date wheel really works and provides a welcome splash of colour to the otherwise monochrome dial.
    -The leather strap that it comes with is very good quality and the white details really work.
    -Absolutely zero chance of attracting the wrong attention when out and about.

The not so good
    -The colour of the florescent yellow hand is impossible to match exactly on straps. Nonetheless I have a black on yellow Barton Elite Silicon incoming for this.
    -There isn't much space between the supplied strap and the case such that the strap rubs between the case in between the lugs and wears the leather down. Apparently this is a common Damasko problem.
    -I've started experimenting with straps much much earlier in ownership than usual with this watch. I hope this isn't an indication that I may get bored with the simple design. Time will tell.

Here's a shot of it whilst enjoying yesterday's sun...

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I couldn't find a dedicated 'Damasko appreciation' thread so I'm bumping this to share my thoughts on my new DS30 that I got from SC recently. After wearing it for a week solid, I am very impressed. I was worried that may it be too similar to my MarkXVIII but it's sufficiently different to justify keeping both.

The Good
    -Timekeeping from the ETA 2824-2 is exceptional at less than +1 secs per day so far.
    -The 39mm case size in this type of pilot's watch design is perfect for my 7 inch wrist
    -I love the hue of the submarine steel. It has a luster that elevates it from being dull
    -The submarine steel appears to be genuinely scratch resistant. My watch was over 12 months old but there isn't a scratch or mark on it anywhere. I also did a hamfisted strap change where I dragged the spring bars against the lugs. On any other stainless steel watch there would be marks all over the lugs but I'm pleased to say that the case of the DS30 remains pristine.
    -The florescent yellow seconds hand and date wheel really works and provides a welcome splash of colour to the otherwise monochrome dial.
    -The leather strap that it comes with is very good quality and the white details really work.
    -Absolutely zero chance of attracting the wrong attention when out and about.

The not so good
    -The colour of the florescent yellow hand is impossible to match exactly on straps. Nonetheless I have a black on yellow Barton Elite Silicon incoming for this.
    -There isn't much space between the supplied strap and the case such that the strap rubs between the case in between the lugs and wears the leather down. Apparently this is a common Damasko problem.
    -I've started experimenting with straps much much earlier in ownership than usual with this watch. I hope this isn't an indication that I may get bored with the simple design. Time will tell.

Here's a shot of it whilst enjoying yesterday's sun...

A Haveston Sabre A2 would look good on that.
    F.T.F.A.

My pair now flit between 4 shades of Haveston canvas . . .

I'm wearing the DC56 on the black one as I type . . .

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A Haveston Sabre A2 would look good on that.
    Good suggestion, many thanks :-)

Master
    I'm a fan. Keep going back to my DA47 as a daily wearer and have a DC56 Si that gets occasional wear too. Hard to beat the brand for vfm, especially second hand, they fly under the radar and the bonus is they look like new after 10 years.

Blog Entries
    I find the looks of the Damasko watches a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I quite like them, and other times I think they look a bit like those mobiles for older people with the big numbers on them!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I find the looks of the Damasko watches a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I quite like them, and other times I think they look a bit like those mobiles for older people with the big numbers on them!
    Someone here once likened the full lume DA37 to a school clock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Someone here once likened the full lume DA37 to a school clock.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's known as legibility. It never entered my mind when I bought my Damaskos, but the older I get the more I appreciate it.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Here are my two. I think they're great tool watches...