closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rimowa Luggage?

Rimowa Luggage?

Any fans or users?

Looking for some experiences (good or bad).

TIA
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I have a Bolero. Great wheels, easy to push around but I’m not sure I’d buy another. Quite fancy a Briggs and Riley expander some day when my wife doesn’t think I’ve got too many cases!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a larger. Riggs and Riley expandable and its faired very well. I’ve been looking at Rimowa for a smaller travel case, but still undecided.
    It's just a matter of time...

I’ve had a med size suit case for a few years now. Excellent great build quality

Nice stuff but you seem to be using half your weight allowance before you start packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I have a larger. Riggs and Riley expandable and its faired very well. I’ve been looking at Rimowa for a smaller travel case, but still undecided.
    Looking for a cabin case.

As for weight - my current one (TUMI) is causing the issue (nearly 4kg's empty) whereas the Rimowa Hybrid is nearly half that.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I’ve looked many times at them. always had a soft spot for the Topas Stealth (black aluminium). Never pulled the trigger because I just find soft sided carry ons more convenient for the inevitable shove required on short haul, despite good intentions and keeping an eye on dimensions.
    A good pal of mine has the silver alu version and I would say that it marks (dents) very easily. Looks great when it’s brand new and after about 8 trips round the world. Inbetween those times they look a bit half-worn.. they dent and scratch easily (hence I never went for the black one). Overall very well built though. I actually quite like them when they look totally battered. The plastic ones tend to fare better on that front.
    I think the alu ones are fine for lots of long haul business class with plenty of overhead, but can be a bit more hassle if you bounce around on narrow body jets a lot.

Had one for less than a year. I was flying weekly at that point and wanted something quality. Locks/catch jammed a lot and eventually failed. Pretty poor customer care at first (they sent replacement locks which didn’t fit) eventually gave me the money back but a very disappointing experience. I’m probably the exception, but they are a waste of money in my experience.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I travel a bit for work and invested in a decent pair of Suitcases this year

I looked initially at Rimowa, but after a bit of research, found that the warranty cover is pretty poor in comparison to B&R Baseline.

Bought a large B&R and international carry-on which I used for a week trip to Asia no trouble.

I know they do a smaller version, and spinner (I have the 2 wheel version), and the internal compression system is epic.

Well worth the trade off vs Rimowa metal construction.

More money than sense if your considering spending £600-£1000 on a single case.

My Eminent and Antler carry-ons have given 10 years great service for a fraction of the price of a Rimowa. Who cares if a Rimowa lasts 30 years - you’ll be well bored of it by then.

Journeyman
    They look great when new but the quality isn't really there. Seems more like a fashion brand these days.

I'd only get them if you're travelling a lot for work reasons and can put them down as a business expense.

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    You need to ask for luggage advice? are you ok travelling outside of the UK unaccompanied ?

Try this :-

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-ul...21in/p/0476647

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    More money than sense if your considering spending £600-£1000 on a single case.

You posted this, on a watch forum?

Thanks for the feedback everybody, well nearly everybody........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You posted this, on a watch forum?

Thanks for the feedback everybody, well nearly everybody........
    Exactly lol. Re the cases the aluminium ones are a timeless classic and look cool when beaten up. That being said they do weigh a fair bit and mine kept having wheels fall off.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I was in a similar position last year but looking at the Tumi aluminium cases. I managed to unpack my existing case into the alu case in the shop in the airport and found the clamshell design with not flexibility to be limiting. Each side has to be packed with no additional stretch or flex of the case so I went for a four wheeled alpha2 in the end.

This means I can expand the case if needed, the fabric construction allows for lumps and bumps and one side has the suit hangar part (I had that on my previous Tumi case and few seem to do it any more) allowing more flexibility again.

I love the idea of an alu case that gets wabi as you travel but for the weekly, one case travelling I do I found it too limiting.

I bought a Rimowa Pilot’s case 20 years ago, before they started putting wheels on them. The £500 cost made me cough a bit. Used it for work, but never sent it by air so it is in reasonable condition. It has sat unused in the wardrobe for 16 years. The combination locks, of which there are two with three digits each wouldn’t take a lot of defeating. The case is too easy to load too much weight into. I have gone back to backpacks after going through a few messenger bags. Backpacks are far more healthy for the back.

I think that if you buy Rimowa you do so more for “style” than quality. My Samsonite briefcases were always better.

Blog Entries
    Have had a Rimowa for a couple of years about 15 yrs ago - when I was doing a lot of travelling for work. It was a nicely sized suitcase, not the largest size but enough for a three-four days trip. Good wheels, nothing but positive things for me. When it was "misplaced" in CDG (never seen again) was refunded by AF nearly all the value, and some of the contents. Did not buy another though, and have never flown AF again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post

I think that if you buy Rimowa you do so more for “style” than quality. My Samsonite briefcases were always better.
    Surely not....
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Having done alot of homework on this recently, I decided against the RIMOWA..... It definitely looks like a show stopper (if thats what one is looking for) but in terms of scratches and dents it would have definitely shown up on the first awkward moment. I decided to go for a mont blanc, it ticked all the boxes and it wasn't too in your face. The added benefit I got was the laptop bag was from the same family as the carry on........i managed to get both for just a tad over £500 which was definitely a result. Cheapest I found it anywhere was £950. I decided against the hard back and stayed traditional with the material cases......more agility.

The carryon was from Bicester Village and it was on a 1 day "special". The laptop bag I got it from duty free.

My carryon is ideal for 2-3 days.

My ideal choice was tumi and a few did catch my eye but when this mont blanc deal came up it sold itself.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    , and have never flown AF again.
    Correct conclusion. I think I've flown through CDG about a dozen times in total and my luggage only made it on the same flight twice (this includes point-to-point). Woeful airline/airport.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    BA "mislaid" my bag at CDG once. When I finally got it back after 2 days, they had put banding tape round the middle of it so tightly that it looked like an egg timer. Never did get an explanation for either event!

Master
    I quite like the idea of a case looking 'travelled' and a Rimowa does it best in my view.

Some prefer a shiny new ceramic Sub, and others (me included) prefer a beat up old 16610

Fans here.

Missus has the aluminium carry on which after more than a dozen flights is still unmarked. I was concerned over my caveman handling of these things so went the ABS version of same model, done a few hitches and still unmarked.

Got them at 50% off from some German website which helped the buying decision

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Exactly lol. Re the cases the aluminium ones are a timeless classic and look cool when beaten up. That being said they do weigh a fair bit and mine kept having wheels fall off.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Can see the alternative POV - how long is a case actually in use, with you and in your sight. An hour at the airport and similar at other end maybe - unlike watches/clothes which you actually wear all the time.

Good to have have strong, light and practical cases but stylish? Why pay a premium to just know you’ve got something nice in the hold or hotel room?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I quite like the idea of a case looking 'travelled' and a Rimowa does it best in my view.

Some prefer a shiny new ceramic Sub, and others (me included) prefer a beat up old 16610
    A similar aesthetic can be achieved with Globetrotter.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Thats a subs worth of rimowa

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Correct conclusion. I think I've flown through CDG about a dozen times in total and my luggage only made it on the same flight twice (this includes point-to-point). Woeful airline/airport.
    Totally right, CDG + AF = black hole of suitcases. I usually go through Frankfurt or Munich or Zurich without loosing luggage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can see the alternative POV - how long is a case actually in use, with you and in your sight. An hour at the airport and similar at other end maybe - unlike watches/clothes which you actually wear all the time.

Good to have have strong, light and practical cases but stylish? Why pay a premium to just know you’ve got something nice in the hold or hotel room?
    All part of the image, innit?

(says the geezer with the well worn tatty looking cases, that look like they've seen a lot of life and not liked much of it!)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I always went with the theory a cheap case is much less likely to get pinched or stuff taken from it?

Master

Rimowa Luggage?

Funny you should say that, a few months ago, a Chinese couple (i think) were arrested for stealing Rimowa and other expensive luggage brands at various airports. They said they’d targeted than, as they assumed they’d be full of expensive items.

My Briggs & Riley has been pretty perfect for travel weekly. Expandable to above hand luggage when required, but hand luggage when not.

Master
    As a chap with no money and no sense, I love my Rimowa...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my alu carry on Rimowa case for about 4 years now, I fly quite a lot, about 100 flights last year and 72 so far this year and the case always comes with me. I usually use it as carry on but sometimes I check it into the hold, it has picked up a few dings and scratches but in my opinion this adds to the character. I can just about squeeze everything I need for a week long business trip or short holiday. The quality has been good considering the usage, the pop out handle did break but I took it to the Rimowa repair centre and they fixed it under warranty within a couple of days. I think they look quite cool, the only down side is that everyone flying business in China seems to have one!