closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV Licence Scam

TV Licence Scam

I received an email today from ""UpdateŠtvlicensing-support.co.uk" <supportvlicensingacc@cgocable.ca> telling me that my Direct Debit for my TV licence had not been paid.

I checked on my bank account, and it certainly had been paid, so I started to smell a rat, and as it turned out, It was a very large rodent indeed:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ288

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46745298

The email helpfully provided a link in order that I could provide the fraudsters with my bank account details, and I suspect my debit card details as well.

My thanks to PhilipK for the links.

Be careful out there...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Yes, had that a few times. It is one of the more convincing scams.

Apprentice
    Same here, just block sender and moved onto the next email :-)

The bigger scam is actually paying the BBC a license fee

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    This..

Needs to be overhauled!

Why it's peanuts in the scheme of things.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    This..

Needs to be overhauled!
    As in my previous post.

Grand Master
    Id say all the "celebs" the BBC employ are very overpaid no question.And although it goes against me saying the above!,I think what is available and the costs etc etc to make all the progs it's not really expensive at all.

In this world of high tech maybe an option to tick that you don't want BBC and that "tech" is implemented and your tv no longer receives their signal.

I wouldn't tick that option for approx a tenner a month!.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 5th November 2019 at 19:42.

needs to be made into pay per view the same as sky /netflix etc etc (at which point they might realise they are not the 'national treasure 'they think they are )
    money wastage on a massive scale funded by the plebs

Thanks for the warning, BP.

Surprised SM73 doesn't have a view on this.

I'm not an apologist for the BBC, but doesn't the licence fee cover all their services (including Radio, the BBC News web site, and minority interest channels like BBC FOUR), and not just the big two TV channels?

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    money wastage on a massive scale funded by the plebs
    The 'plebs' don't realise what they've got, compare what they get for the licence fee to the expense of sky or Netflix and others,
    Last edited by number2; 6th November 2019 at 04:57.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The 'plebs' don't realise what they've got, compare what they get for the licence fee to the expense of sky or Netflix and others,
    depends if you want it, my point is you should be able to pay for their service if you want it - not be (semi) forced into buying it.
    personally ive legally not owned a tv license for around5/6 years now - i dont want or need any BBC services ( this also looks at your earlier point 'in the grand scheme of things ' - whos 'scheme' ? certaintly not mine .

im not going to go into a tirade regarding the BBC's practices - the money wastage /corruption/bias /repeats is easy enough to find on the net , if the BBC is so great i dont see the problem in moving to pay per view for the people that want it (the BBC knows if this ever happened its revenue would be cut to nothing )

Master
    how do you legally not pay for it without a load of hassle?

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    how do you legally not pay for it without a load of hassle?
    what i mean is i am legally license free ( not just watching tv and not paying for it)
    the way the law stands its that you need a TV license if >
    a/ you watch live TV
    b/ you use BBC iplayer

this means that if you use netflix etc or any other catch up services other than BBCi player then you dont need a license.

the harassment part comes with the territory and is one of the things that needs sorting out by the government for ppl who legally dont need a license , capita who act for the BBC seem to be a law unto themselves - although they will turn up at your door calling themselves 'enforcement officers' they are simply door to door salesmen with the same amount of power as anyone else who turns up trying to flog you something and you can simply shut the door on them and tell them to do one.
    i get a nice letter every month telling me 'i might' be breaking the law which goes right in the bin along with the other dross though ive not had a personal visit for some time (once they realise they are not getting any commission they stay away )

I like how the right wing press have a vendetta against the BBC.
    It's almost like they don't want free news and it should all be behind paywalls....... oh wait 😏

Craftsman
    TV licence is a scam to be honest