closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Accoustic guitar choices

Accoustic guitar choices

I'm going to treat myself to new acoustic guitar in the near future – I've been playing the same Fender Newporter for 30 years and fancy a change.

I'm looking at spending £500ish. I could go higher for the right guitar and could always go lower.

So far I like the look of these three:

Guild DS-140 Memoir

Sigma DM-SG5

And for a few £££s more, the Guild D-140 Westerly. This one is solid sides and back rather than the laminate construction of the above two.

And I know it sounds shallow, but I am drawn to a sunburst finish although could be swayed away for the right guitar.

I was also looking at the Taylor Academy 10, but lack of pickguard puts me off a bit:

Would any experts care to share thoughts and experience on these or any others within the price range? Ta in advance

For the sort of price range you have I would look at Faith guitars.

Very nice quality although many of them are sans scratch plates.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Lesser know brand but Farida make some great guitars in your price range.

wouldn't a Taylor Big Baby suit your requirements, its in budget and has a scratch guard

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    wouldn't a Taylor Big Baby suit your requirements, its in budget and has a scratch guard
    I did look at the Big Baby but the size might be an issue. I'll be seeking out a proper guitar shop to try them all first hopefully.

Put a guard on it, can’t see the issue.

Acoustic guitars are not like iPhones. Two identical acoustics made on the same day in the same factory by the same guy can be as different in character as the trees they were made from. My advice is go to a shop and play every guitar they have. If the one you want is there, you'll know it. Buy that specific guitar and no other. If you don't find it, go to another shop.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 5th November 2019 at 16:29.

Taylor GS Mini, you will not believe the sound that comes out of this for it's size

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Put a guard on it, can’t see the issue.
    Because I don't want to screw or glue a guard on to £500 worth of guitar that didn't originally have one.

I have a Sigma 00-R and I love it. I'd recommend having a play of a few guitars and see which one feels right.
    I've not played a Taylor but I've always like the way they look and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Acoustic guitars are not like iPhones. Two identical acoustics made on the same day in the same factory by the same guy can be as different in character as the trees they were made from. My advice is go to a shop and play every guitar they have. If the one you want is there, you'll know it. If it isn't, go to another shop.
    Good point, which is why I'll be doing exactly this

Seconded

Fantastic guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Taylor GS Mini, you will not believe the sound that comes out of this for it's size

I used to play a mix of acoustics mainly Martin or Taylor until following a recommendation from a friend i tried one of these .
    I can honestly say its the most comfortable forgiving instrument i have ever owned .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySE1f3IymxY

what he said, seagull s6.

gak.co.uk have a tanglewood sale on at the moment, 20% off
    andertons have a black friday sale on
    guitarguitar have a Martin sale on.

good time to go guitar shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    I used to play a mix of acoustics mainly Martin or Taylor until following a recommendation from a friend i tried one of these .
    I can honestly say its the most comfortable forgiving instrument i have ever owned .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySE1f3IymxY

I am a rubbish guitarist, probably more money than sense, I have had one of these in Red for the last ten years, it is the best sounding most playable guitar I have tried, if you can find one at a sensible price it is definitely worth a look

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECDl5sgKGxY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iN3ocyj8Sso

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I am a rubbish guitarist, probably more money than sense.....
    "Me too"

If new is not a must, I bought a Martin D1 s/h out of the classifieds for c£500 then spent another hundred with a great luthier (now passed on, sadly) who did a lot of work on it lowering the action / setting it up and it remains one of the nicest acoustics I've played.

Worth a try if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Thanks for all the new ideas.

I'm wary of buying used because I've done that before with a Framus 12-string and on arrival the wife refused to have it in the house for two weeks because it absolutely reeked of ciggie smoke. Then when I actually got to play it, it was a load of pants. I even took it to a luthier for a proper set up and he told me he'd done the best he could but it was a really difficult guitar to work on. It just sits in the corner of the room now and only plays a tune if someone knocks into it

I'm sure that was just bad luck and the brand, but if I buy new the shop I have in mind includes a set up in the price. Anyway, we'll see.

The biggest problem I have is actually finding the time to get to the shop.

Master
    I suspect that most middle aged men who buy guitars are, like me, some sad bugger living a dream that will never materialise.

I wanted to play a guitar but never had the time to learn, so I put it off until the day I retired which was when I was 61, which is a daft idea in itself.

I decided to buy a Lowden which is hand made in Ireland and are regarded as a collectors item. These guitars are capable of making beautiful music but you got to be able to play them.

Without wishing to sound immodest, I am usual good at whatever I am doing, but this was an area where I was about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I took 12 lessons from the highest regarded tutor in the district and at the end of the course, he sat me down and advised me to either sell the guitar or give it away. Basically I was crap. His words, not mine.

I took his advice and the guitar now lies in a very expensive guitar box and I intend to give it to my grandson, when he finishes at university, who is an accomplished guitarist and he puts me to shame. He brings the guitar to life whereas I tortured the bloody thing.

Old retired men should stay well away from guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Thanks for all the new ideas.

I'm wary of buying used because I've done that before with a Framus 12-string and on arrival the wife refused to have it in the house for two weeks because it absolutely reeked of ciggie smoke. Then when I actually got to play it, it was a load of pants. I even took it to a luthier for a proper set up and he told me he'd done the best he could but it was a really difficult guitar to work on. It just sits in the corner of the room now and only plays a tune if someone knocks into it

I'm sure that was just bad luck and the brand, but if I buy new the shop I have in mind includes a set up in the price. Anyway, we'll see.

The biggest problem I have is actually finding the time to get to the shop.
    Buying sight unseen - especially a 12 string - is high risk. I’ve done it but then I’m a high risk animal. Auditioning before buying is obviously the way to go,

Given that you’re in London eBay and Gumtree will throw up more guitars within a reasonable radius of your base than you can shake a stick at.

I’ve always bought used guitars, partly because my money buys more but also because if a neck is going to warp the odds are it’ll do it early in the guitar’s life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I retired 12 years ago at 50. I'm not old, and I bought Taylor GS Mini Koa 3 years ago which I play every day. The short scale length (23.5") means that the string tension is lower then normal, so barre chords are comparatively easy, as are many chords which smaller hands may not stretch to on the usual 25.5"ish scale.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I retired 12 years ago at 50. I'm not old, and I bought Taylor GS Mini Koa 3 years ago which I play every day. The short scale length (23.5") means that the string tension is lower then normal, so barre chords are comparatively easy, as are many chords which smaller hands may not stretch to on the usual 25.5"ish scale.

That's right Bob.

Just because one old codger is cak handed and can't manage it doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Well worth taking up guitar at retirement. You have a lot more time, especially to learn music fundamentals - and with no kids disturbing you.

That Taylor looks really nice BTW.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    I had the Taylor academy 10 and thought it was a great guitar. If its just the pick guard putting you off I have one here you could have. I bought it for mine but never fitted it.

The Sigma guitars are great VFM in my opinion. I've had a few and love them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I suspect that most middle aged men who buy guitars are, like me, some sad bugger living a dream that will never materialise.

I wanted to play a guitar but never had the time to learn, so I put it off until the day I retired which was when I was 61, which is a daft idea in itself.

I decided to buy a Lowden which is hand made in Ireland and are regarded as a collectors item. These guitars are capable of making beautiful music but you got to be able to play them.

Without wishing to sound immodest, I am usual good at whatever I am doing, but this was an area where I was about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I took 12 lessons from the highest regarded tutor in the district and at the end of the course, he sat me down and advised me to either sell the guitar or give it away. Basically I was crap. His words, not mine.

I took his advice and the guitar now lies in a very expensive guitar box and I intend to give it to my grandson, when he finishes at university, who is an accomplished guitarist and he puts me to shame. He brings the guitar to life whereas I tortured the bloody thing.

Genuinely one of the most ridiculous stories I've ever heard.

Everyone is crap after their first 12 hours playing.

Everyone is crap after their first 120 hours playing.

I bought the exact same guitar for our daughter’s 13th Birthday, not cheap but then it’s been used every day since

Here she is at 14 or so playing it and singing at an open mic night

https://soundcloud.com/messwithyourhead/two-faces

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    I bought the exact same guitar for our daughter’s 13th Birthday, not cheap but then it’s been used every day since

Wow! I'm assuming she'd been playing before she was 13? Otherwise that's some progression in a year. Sounds lovely.

Thanks, cello since she was 8 and guitar since 11, now endlessly fiddling with Logic Pro and teaching herself piano

She really loves playing and loves seeing live music, it makes my heart explode

Wow! I'm assuming she'd been playing before she was 13? Otherwise that's some progression in a year. Sounds lovely.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks, cello since she was 8 and guitar since 11, now endlessly fiddling with Logic Pro and teaching herself piano

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure. My two play a mix of trumpet (son), flute and clarinet (daughter) and it's lovely to hear them progressing. The boy's massively into his music but he struggles with guitar due to his hemiplegia. He has to play left-handed which isn't natural for him so it's hard work. He picked the trumpet up and just ran with it. I can barely get a squeak out of it but he was doing the Bond theme and When the Saints Come Marching In like a natural after a few weeks.

He plays in a local orchestra and a funk band so we get to see him live every now and then.

Your daughter's clearly not nervous playing to a crowd. A bright future ahead

The Taylor GS Mini with a Sitka or Mahogany top is fitted with a pick guard.

Master

Thats brilliant, it's great when kids really take to an instrument.