closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn U1 - reasons why/why not

Master

Sinn U1 - reasons why/why not

Hi folks. I'm holding out for a grail just now, but as every WIS knows you get itchy feet and are always tempted by something else in the meantime. There have been various temptations in SC but the good news is I've either been able to hold firm and/or they've sold by the time I give in.

A new itch has arrived, and one that is materially cheaper than the temptations, so more affordable and likely to loose less if/when moved on.

This itch is a Sinn U1. They've been on my radar for years with their alternative/arty styling and matcho build.

I welcome and seek fellow members' reasons why, and indeed why not, for the Sinn U1, including any experiences and preferences for rubber vs bracelet and the finishes.

My knock about/dress down choice is usually a 47mm Panerai Sub PAM389 so size and weight aren't an issue, although I am wondering when I would choose the Sinn over the Panerai.

Thanks in advance.

I will be interested in the responses to this. I have always like the idea of the styling, but been put off by reports that, despite the massive hand area, the lume on the U1 is disappointing. I am not sure whether this is a comment that is unjustified, only justified for early examples or universally true.
    I happen to think the SD versions or totally black ones are the most attractive.
    D

Master
    I'll thrown in my opinion...i owned one many years ago. It was on rubber.

Well made watch as youd expect from a german brand. Make no mistake about where it comes from. Overall it has a solid feel to it.
    I was hesitant a out a watch with no crown guards and still am especially on a tool watch bit i was pleasantly reassured by its secure feel and proportions so it never got to a point where i felt it was in the way of snagging on something.

Mine had the outer AR coating removed when it came to me from recollection. It didn't bother me. Not sure whether its still the case they have them with double AR.

The slimmer than usual bezel lends to a bigger dial appearance which works well.

I will state that I was disappointed by the lume. At night it appeared far too weak from the legibility the hands offer in the day time. Not sure if its improved.

I know sinn use sellita movement for the U1 now so its horses for courses.

In comparison to a Panerai I always felt like the Panerai was better put together. I suppose there is a chunky price difference.

If you can try both then that is going to help you make your mind up. They are such different watches that convey different qualities about their design ethos.

And if residuals are important you'd probably fare better with a PAM.

Master
    Also I must say if the U1 is an itch whilst you wait for a grail...its easy enough to scratch and you'll be able to flip U1 quick enough

I had one for a couple of years. In the end, I felt that the thing that probably makes it a great 'tool' watch let it down for me i.e. I came to find it 'simplistic' (almost toy-like).

Sinn U1 - reasons why/why not

Do it! Fantastic tool watch that goes well on a number of strap options.

Wish I had never flipped mine.

Sounds like the size won’t be an issue but they do wear smaller than some of my other 44mm watches.

My only ‘why not’ would be the weight. I’m sure you have read what these are made of, so they do carry some heft.

Last edited by Gavbaz; 4th November 2019 at 11:54.

Go for it
    They are a great watch
    I have had mine for over 10 years and it still looks new
    The lume on the early versions including mine is not great but being C1 it is long lasting, just not super bright in the first place. It is also applied a bit roughly but in day light it is not noticeable at all.
    Mine keeps time within COSC standards which is not bad for a base ETA.
    I did have a need to send it back to Sinn about 7 years ago as the bezel spring broke, this was fixed free of charge even though it was out of warrantee.
    For a large watch it is very comfortable on the rubber straps and large clasp, in fact I would say it’s the most comfortable watch to wear in my collection.
    It is also the watch they gets most noticed when I wear it.

Master
    I’ve had 2 U1s over the years and regretted selling them both times, personally found them uncomfortable on the bracelet but perfect on the rubber. The only reason I moved them on is I wasn’t wearing them enough sadly a casualty to more watches than wrists or time to wear them. It’s almost guaranteed I’ll get another at some point and repeat the cycle lol.

Craftsman

I got one

But scared to wear it!

Daft I know, but I’m not really a watch collector. Just buy what I like, then get bored and buy something else.
    This is one of 15 made in black about 2 years ago for Page and Cooper.

Master
    I didn't like mine at all. Bezel was stiff and imprecise, clasp seemed poorly made and the Bezel didn't line up at 12 properly. I sometimes wonder whether I got a dud because most people rate it much more highly than my experience.

That said, if you get one second hand, you can always flip it again if it's disappointing

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

I had one , I did like it but it was big , triangle pip didn’t line up and also had a love hate with the ar coating on the outside of the crystal, when it was clean it was fantastic like looking at the dial with no crystal but 98% of the time just looked smudgy, lume was terrible, bezel click was crap
    That blu1 though omg I hate that play of words on the dial
    Last edited by Balance wheel; 5th November 2019 at 08:04.

Craftsman
    I've always loved them but concerned it'd be massive. Certainly an itch I'd like to scratch, especially in SDR form!

Craftsman
    I liked mine but I found it was too big to wear every day. Great holiday watch. The bezel is functional but doesn't feel anything like a high end watch - it rotates in 60 clicks if my memory is right. I'd recommend you try one but I'd go second hand and as others have said, you can flip it when you want to.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have tegemented one and great watch for the money. Not a fan of bracelets generally and this is no exception. Usually have it on a red rubber strap but also works on NATO. The point about when would you wear it over the Panerai is a valid one. I'd say when you want to be more relaxed and confident your watch isn't going to mark up....or just fancy a splash of red.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I have tegemented one and great watch for the money. Not a fan of bracelets generally and this is no exception. Usually have it on a red rubber strap but also works on NATO. The point about when would you wear it over the Panerai is a valid one. I'd say when you want to be more relaxed and confident your watch isn't going to mark up....or just fancy a splash of red.
    A U1-T is what im looking for.....but to get one I have to let some of my Seikos free.

I really hope when I get one I don't regret it lol.

I had a fully tegimented version on the tegimented bracelet for a couple of years. As others have said the bezel action was very sloppy and the lume is pretty poor. I think what made me sell in the end was the Matt grey plain feel of the watch, and it was just too heavy on the bracelet. It was just very bland which I liked at the beginning but grew less fond of over time. I must say the tegimented steel was great, much harder to scratch and mine was almost unmarked - even on the clasp - after a few years daily wear. Mine also never kept great time - it went back to Sinn as I thought the hand winding seemed a bit rough but they sent it back saying it was fine. I wouldn’t have another but they are a bit different from the norm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a UX, pretty similar, same case and bezel.
    Weak lume (like every Sinn I have had) and the bezel action was not great. I wouldn't call it sloppy but it had more of a cheap, poorly made feel or more like it was slapped on as an after thought.

However I do look at the all black UX from time to time.

Master
    Thanks folks some useful food for thought.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

For me the only problem with the U1 is the U2.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Another thumbs up for the U1 here!
    I owned a tegimented case/clasp on rubber for 5 years and sold it a few months ago. Now allmost regretting it; best toolwatch I have owned by far.

Craftsman
    Go for it!

I've had a U1 SDR for the past 8 years and I love it.

I wear mine on the bracelet and find it very comfortable. It is big and heavy, but is a real statement piece.

Looking at SC, you won't have much trouble flipping a U1 if it's not to your liking.

I've had 3 including one SDR.

Good watches that wear smaller than you might think.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Some mixed opinions here but mine's certainly going nowhere.
    Actually wears smaller than the picture below would suggest - great on Sinn rubber.